Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine that spending levels will remain at the same level as the current budget, plus growth and that they will use some surplus money and RDF funds to end up passing a modest rebate to tax payers that they can trumpet as some sort of revolutionary triumph of conservative economic philosophy.

The last budget, relative to Texas, was very generous and good so we shouldn't have a 2005-style cutting crisis on our hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm worried about the state of our highways and with the expansion of oil-gas, trucks are cruising those roads in greater quantities. Two instances already in the past year, large rocks, not pebbles, have threatened to launch through my windshield into a passenger's face. I don't begrudge the driving trucks, but drat some of the state highways are not that great to be on.

Mock liberals in the news and in legislation til the end of the earth, but keep our roads good please legislators, it is an endearing quality that my car has lasted as long as it has because our roads were mostly alright for so long.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
I hope you're not in one of these counties... (Live Oak, Dimmit, LaSalle, Zavala, Reeves and Culberson)

quote:

"Since paving roads is too expensive and there is not enough funding to repave them all, our only other option to make them safer is to turn them into gravel roads," TxDOT spokesman David Glessner said.

We'll see if anything changes this next session, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's like literally 300 miles of farm to market roads. I mean, not ideal but it's not like they're turning US 290 into a dirt road.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, even in Austin there's been a worrying lack of road crews lately. At least as far as I can tell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, even in Austin there's been a worrying lack of road crews lately. At least as far as I can tell.

I see you haven't been downtown lately.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I spend too much on student loans to really afford a car right now. So I just hitch along on shopping trips which usually head outside the city.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy first day of the Legislature guys.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh goodie. The horror begins.

After the comptroller's estimated budget they are already talking about the possibility of tax cuts.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I don't trust that estimated budget at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh goodie. The horror begins.

After the comptroller's estimated budget they are already talking about the possibility of tax cuts.

They've been talking about it since forever?

ReidRansom posted:

I don't trust that estimated budget at all.

Doesn't matter, until he issues a revised budget estimate that is the amount of money they will be working with.

Also if you're in Austin today there is a huge open carry rally at the Capitol and they're gonna be 3D printing guns.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Open carry will almost certainly happen this session, and I'm OK with that. Campus carry may happen also, but I'm not as OK on that one.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Also if you're in Austin today there is a huge open carry rally at the Capitol and they're gonna be 3D printing guns.

Is this a huge rally in relation to other rallies or a huge rally in relation to other open carry rallies (so two dozen people)?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Is this a huge rally in relation to other rallies or a huge rally in relation to other open carry rallies (so two dozen people)?

The crowd of gun-toting dudes wandering around during SXSW is always fun for the tourists.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Huge in the amount of free publicity it is getting.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

Ugh, why such neat things have such horrible fans?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Open carry will almost certainly happen this session, and I'm OK with that. Campus carry may happen also, but I'm not as OK on that one.

College kids can't afford guns or 3D printers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For some reason, moderate Jewish dude Joe Straus is still the Texas Speaker of the House. He's getting his next Tea Party challenger today, who got robocall support from Glenn Beck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/13/gun-advocates-take-and-make-arms-texas-capitol/

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hmm no Heckler & Koch, not real Texans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't you feel safer because these guys are around?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, red is for Strauss, green is for Turner. It's the first record vote for the Speaker in 40 years so expect some revenge :unsmigghh:
Also of Turner's 19 votes, 16 are from the metroplex and all are white Republicans.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So is there a lot of crossover with Linux advocates, or...?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

That guy will definitely be eating something off his foot later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh lord yes.

There are a ton of articles everywhere about this but I can't find one that gives any hint of attendance.

Also, boy oh boy am I glad Wendy ran for Governor.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Also, red is for Strauss, green is for Turner. It's the first record vote for the Speaker in 40 years so expect some revenge :unsmigghh:
Also of Turner's 19 votes, 16 are from the metroplex and all are white Republicans.

I remember reading the idiot opinion pieces about how "Turner really has a chance now guys!" :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trib's opening day Storify recap.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Strauss, much like Boehner, knows where the bodies are buried.

e: and those boots look like poo poo. Seriously that's some sloppy loving work on that logo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah it's because he works with Democrats, all of whom supported him in today's vote.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...tter-premium#/0
House OKs panic buttons in wake of open carry confrontation

Houston Chronicle posted:

AUSTIN - The Texas House approved rules Wednesday to be able to install panic buttons and eject hostile members of the public from their offices, after a confrontation between lawmakers and open carry advocates visiting the Capitol on the opening day of the 2015 session.

"I think that public servants and members of the public ought to feel safe and secure when they come to the Capitol," said Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, who sponsored an amendment to add the safety measures to the house housekeeping rules. "That being said, it came to my attention there was some disagreement as to whether members have to accommodate individuals or groups that are acting in a threatening or belligerent manner."

On Tuesday, around 15 to 20 members of the group Open Carry Tarrant County visited several lawmaker offices urging them to support House Bill 195, which seeks to undo Texas' 125-year ban on the open carry of handguns. Several House members, including Democrats Poncho Nevarez of Eagle Pass and Celia Israel of Austin, said the group hassled them or their staff.

In a video posted to Facebook by Kory Watkins, the gun group's leader, on Tuesday, open carry activists can be heard calling Nevarez "a tyrant to the Constitution" and telling him he "won't be here very long, bro."

"As I understand from my staff briefing, that this very same group came to my office, I just wasn't here," said Martinez Fischer, saying his staff felt "uncomfortable." The eight-term House member said he'd never experienced "advocacy that gets personal and physical."

"Sounds to me like it was a very hostile siutation that not only impacted the offices' environment, but also bled out into the hallaway," he said. "And I don't think any of that is approproate."

Reached for comment Wednesday, Watkins said, "We need a panic button for people who don't obey their oath to Constitution."

He also replied to cricitisms from fellow open carry advocate CJ Grisham, who heads the unaffiliated Open Carry Texas, calling Watkins "a malignant cancer for the gun rights movement" and saying his group's actions could actually negatively impact the chances of passing open carry legislation this year.

"I love CJ Grisham. I love Open Carry Texas," said Watkins. "We're all fighting for the same thing."

Watkins reposted a portion of the video on Facebook and YouTube Wednesday morning, in which the cameraman can be heard responding to Nevarez's request for him to leave by stating, "You need to leave my state."

Accompanying the post, Watkins wrote: "Pancho Nevarez, you need to leave Texas! This is for you buddy. Read the Constitution and take your oath seriously. Don't come in here with your fellow democrats and turn Texas in to a anti gun blue state. No!"

Martinez Fischer's rule change formally will allow House lawmakers to eject members of the public from their offices "at their discretion," and also would allow offices to install panic buttons that would immediately alert the Department of Public Safety. Offices could recoup the cost of the DPS buttons through a payment plan.

Martinez Fischer said he supports the state's concealed hangdun license, but had yet made a decision whether to support HB195. Watkins said his group is planning several more visits to lawmaker offices over the next two months.

Open Carry Texas is the worst organization in the state and if the ban doesn't get repealed this session it will be entirely their own fault and I will laugh so loving hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone not watching this is BANNED FROM THIS THREAD FOREVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28698RwYdCw

The cast list is crazy
Chad Michael Murray as Mirabeau Lamar
Jeffrey Dean Morgan as 'Deaf' Smith
Ray Liotta as Lorca
Brendan Fraser as Billy Anderson
Max Thieriot as Jack Hays
Bill Paxton as Sam Houston
Adam Hicks as Truett Fincham
Thomas Jane as James Wykoff
Sarah Jones as Pauline Wykoff
Johnathon Schaech as Colonel Sidney Sherman
Olivier Martinez as General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
Christopher McDonald as Henry Karnes
Courtney Gains as Cole Hornfischer
Kris Kristofferson as President Andrew Jackson
Jeff Fahey as Thomas Rusk
Jake Busey as Samuel Wallace
Trevor Donovan as Kit Acklin
Cynthia Addai-Robinson as Emily D. West
Jacob Lofland as Colby Pitt
Robert Baker as Big Foot Wallace
Madelyn Deutch as Curls
Darby Hinton as President Burnet
Raúl Méndez as Juan Seguin
Geoffrey Blake as Colonel George Hockley
John Elvis as Yellow Knife
Joe Egender as Beans Wilkins
Dillon Lane as Yancey Burn
Stephen Taylor as Gator Davis
Olga Segura as Concepcion
James Paxton as Roy
Alixandra von Renner as Susanna Dickinson
Marklen Kennedy as Zacharias
Amen Igbinosun as Nate
Samuel French as Gavin McDonough
Vico Escorcia as Sarah Ewing
Harding Junior as Jupiter
Darrell Fetty as Doc Ewing
Felipe de Lara as Francisco
Horacio Garcia Rojas as Buffalo Hump
Daniel K. Walker as Fuzz
Bill Millsap as Raw-Boned Drunk
Taylor Brock as Ruthie
Robert Knepper as Empresario Buckley
Jeremy Davies as Sergeant Ephraim Knowles
Crispin Glover as Mosley Baker
Rob Morrow as Colonel Fannin
Rhys Coiro as Vern Elwood

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 14, 2015

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Anyone not watching this is BANNED FROM THIS THREAD FOREVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28698RwYdCw

The cast list is crazy
Chad Michael Murray as Mirabeau Lamar
Jeffrey Dean Morgan as 'Deaf' Smith
Ray Liotta as Lorca
Brendan Fraser as Billy Anderson
Max Thieriot as Jack Hays
Adam Hicks as Truett Fincham
Thomas Jane as James Wykoff
Sarah Jones as Pauline Wykoff
Johnathon Schaech as Colonel Sidney Sherman
Olivier Martinez as General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
Christopher McDonald as Henry Karnes
Courtney Gains as Cole Hornfischer
Kris Kristofferson as President Andrew Jackson
Jeff Fahey as Thomas Rusk
Jake Busey as Samuel Wallace
Trevor Donovan as Kit Acklin
Cynthia Addai-Robinson as Emily D. West
Jacob Lofland as Colby Pitt
Robert Baker as Big Foot Wallace
Madelyn Deutch as Curls
Darby Hinton as President Burnet
Raúl Méndez as Juan Seguin
Geoffrey Blake as Colonel George Hockley
John Elvis as Yellow Knife
Dillon Lane as Yancey Burn
Stephen Taylor as Gator Davis
Olga Segura as Concepcion
James Paxton as Roy
Alixandra von Renner as Susanna Dickinson
Marklen Kennedy as Zacharias
Amen Igbinosun as Nate
Samuel French as Gavin McDonough
Vico Escorcia as Sarah Ewing
Harding Junior as Jupiter
Darrell Fetty as Doc Ewing
Felipe de Lara as Francisco
Horacio Garcia Rojas as Buffalo Hump
Daniel K. Walker as Fuzz
Bill Millsap as Raw-Boned Drunk
Taylor Brock as Ruthie
Robert Knepper as Empresario Buckley
Jeremy Davies as Sergeant Ephraim Knowles
Crispin Glover as Mosley Baker
Rob Morrow as Colonel Fannin
Rhys Coiro as Vern Elwood

:vince: :freep: :ese:

This is seriously amazing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It does look pretty epic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As a newsitem to you filthy Texas transplants that post in this thread with your California senisibilies: all public school students take a year of Texas history in seventh grade, so those men and women are icons to us.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And it's on History Channel? Actual history? I may have to reconnect my cable before it starts airing.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

They're making a Vikings but for Texas. Good poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

They're making a Vikings but for Texas. Good poo poo.

It's an eight hour mini series.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The only Battleground Texas worth paying attention to.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

zoux posted:

This makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

QwertyAsher posted:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...tter-premium#/0
House OKs panic buttons in wake of open carry confrontation

Open Carry Texas is the worst organization in the state and if the ban doesn't get repealed this session it will be entirely their own fault and I will laugh so loving hard.

Open Carry Tarrant County is demonstrably worse than Open Carry Texas and that Kory Watkins is going to wind up getting people shot. Watkins and his organization are the worst of the worst.