Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RADIOHEADISGOD
Sep 29, 2005
wtf mate?
Here's a good piece about American hypocrisy in response to the Charlie Hebdo attack which was inspired by a cartoon posted earlier in this thread.

http://redflag.org.au/node/4373

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

This legit made me laugh

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Armani posted:

Safe Space Gorazde? I had a tab still from a few days ago on Sacco and his works: http://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/the-universal-language-of-the-image-joe-sacco-s-comics-and-conflicts/

I would love to read his work - ink on wood sounds like a lovely and painstaking medium to do for comics.

I was very young during the Yugoslav wars, can you expand on the thoughts in your post?

Well I can't claim it concerned myself it concernd me much as a Youngin, I remember seeing the shelling of Sarajevo o the news, and later i met one refugee in school...an rear end in a top hat then but later we played warhammer together.

So it has been from literature mostly, I follow an historian Marko Atill Hoare after reading Sacco....but it mostly more of a confirmation of the poo poo I hear telling about WW2 up to as early as the Scandinavian Neo-Nazi.

If its one though I like to expand about the subject....how can neighbors that grew up together, played together, drank together....burn down their houses and then go to war against them.

Its a damnation against the human race.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Not only that, Netanyahu wasn't invited. And, in the Israeli newspaper, Angela Merkel was cut out of the picture.

Not "not invited" but actually told to stay away. Anyway, it's nice that instead of drawing pot bellies on everyone, Branco only went with a gunt on Merkel.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Not only that, Netanyahu wasn't invited. And, in the Israeli newspaper, Angela Merkel was cut out of the picture.

Huh, I don't really follow news, so didn't realize all the newspapers here were cancelled except for one. Which one did they leave operating?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
From what I read it's conservative Haredi newspaper HaMevaser who removed all women from the picture, not just Merkel.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

I actually have a few cartoonists below Rall. Kirschen is awful, and Gosse actively hurts my eyes with his terrible coloring.

BoK is just bad and ugly in a way Rall doesn't usually achieve.

Bok's compositions are so ugly/lovely that they actively sabotage a lot of whatever wingnut spew he's trying to say:

I mean- What?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Armani posted:

Safe Space Gorazde? I had a tab still from a few days ago on Sacco and his works: http://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/the-universal-language-of-the-image-joe-sacco-s-comics-and-conflicts/

I would love to read his work - ink on wood sounds like a lovely and painstaking medium to do for comics.

Sacco is a great storyteller and has been a remarkable artist since his first major work. His most appealing quality is the humble attitude - he presents himself as an awkward doofus instead of a badass superjournalist and lets his subjects into the focus.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

RADIOHEADISGOD posted:

Here's a good piece about American hypocrisy in response to the Charlie Hebdo attack which was inspired by a cartoon posted earlier in this thread.

http://redflag.org.au/node/4373

This cartoon immediately sprang to mind

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Bok's compositions are so ugly/lovely that they actively sabotage a lot of whatever wingnut spew he's trying to say:

I mean- What?

Why does Kim Jung-Un have a giant reptile eye looking to his upper right?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Saint Sputnik posted:

This cartoon immediately sprang to mind

This cartoon is a surprisingly nuanced reading of the relationship between Western propaganda and military adventurism in the Muslim world. Either that or Catalino meant "Get some you muzzie scum, booyah".

E: For the record I think Bok is the worst political cartoonist. He combines incompetence, meanness and stupidity with incredible regularity.

for example.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 13, 2015

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why does Kim Jung-Un have a giant reptile eye looking to his upper right?

I think it's supposed to be a bullet hole through his forehead.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Gilganixon posted:

E: For the record I think Bok is the worst political cartoonist. He combines incompetence, meanness and stupidity with incredible regularity.

for example.

Psst - that's Branco. Absolutely agreed on those points, though - he's a bad cartoonist who wants to be an evil cartoonist.

Bok is an evil cartoonist.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gilganixon posted:

for example.

What's the intended message of this cartoon? All I'm getting out of it is that America is a spiteful idiot. The water even looks perfectly fine.

I guess it's a play on the old saying "You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." But even then it at best implies that America is stubborn.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Gilganixon posted:

This cartoon is a surprisingly nuanced reading of the relationship between Western propaganda and military adventurism in the Muslim world. Either that or Catalino meant "Get some you muzzie scum, booyah".

for example.

I love that cartoon. It's a perfect combination of communicating an unintended message and the unintended message being completely accurate. You can give the American people something that's good for them, but you can't make them accept it.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Gravel Gravy posted:

Perhaps he could change it to Sloppy Joe?

I laughed way too hard at this.

A bit late, but at least he put effort into it.

It looks like he's glaring at the artist thinking, "Like you give a poo poo."

Dammit, Anderson. You were one of the fairly good ones.

Harsh burn on ambassadors.

Nice sweater vest, nerd.

Pee pee, doo doo, don't murder me.

In a rare turn of events, Horsey removes tits from one of his cartoons.

Now do one about Christians.

Here we go again...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I imagine Horsey is going to get a lot of flak for plagiarizing a Gorrell cartoon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah no poo poo, that's some pretty lazy crap Horsey.

Xi over Xi-bar
May 10, 2009

Using a Je suis Charlie shirt to censor nudity for an American newspaper would be a clever visual gag if it was intentional, but since it isn't it just comes across as pathetic.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Internet Webguy posted:

Nice sweater vest, nerd.

Pretty sure if it has sleeves it's just a sweater.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

I imagine Horsey is going to get a lot of flak for plagiarizing a Gorrell cartoon.

This is the first time I can recall Horsey de-boobing something.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Kurtofan posted:

Horsey is normally one of the best, that's pretty lazy for him. You're better than this, Horsey! :cmon:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Eschers Basement posted:

Psst - that's Branco. Absolutely agreed on those points, though - he's a bad cartoonist who wants to be an evil cartoonist.

Bok is an evil cartoonist.

oh wow, I got my evil idiots mixed up. I hate Branco too, I don't know why I thought that was a Bok.

This is more Bok's speed:

lovely, lovely concern trolling on behalf of energy companies.

On the subject of Branco, this is my favourite thing about the old man: his paintings.

1 Melty self portrait
2 Timeless and coherent political statement
3 Titty Gorilly
and the best of the best
4 Two soldiers melting and crying in front of a tire fire, titled by the artist "My Heroe's are just Kids"

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

I'll forgive him this once because it's so out of character and because he gave Delacroix top billing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Horsey passing up the chance to draw uncensored tit is pretty shocking.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Broken Cog posted:

What's the intended message of this cartoon? All I'm getting out of it is that America is a spiteful idiot. The water even looks perfectly fine.

I guess it's a play on the old saying "You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." But even then it at best implies that America is stubborn.

"Stick its face in the water and suck on its rear end in a top hat"

In that context, Obamacare is good for the horse but you have to do a gross thing to make it happen. My point?
None. I have no point. Unless funneling a shitload of tax money to insurance companies is like sucking on a horse's rear end in a top hat is a point.
Wait, no. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about. Maybe I have a future in the ever expanding field of political cartooning.
Seriously, I could get me a couple Pulitzers.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Did a photo of Obama sitting around in sweatpants watching TV leak recently? I'm wondering if there's a reason to think he skipped the France demonstration just because he was having a (I <3) Me Day, rather than maybe deciding to focus on presidenting. I guess I already know the answer, but I'm wondering if I missed something.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ZDar Fan posted:

Did a photo of Obama sitting around in sweatpants watching TV leak recently? I'm wondering if there's a reason to think he skipped the France demonstration just because he was having a (I <3) Me Day, rather than maybe deciding to focus on presidenting. I guess I already know the answer, but I'm wondering if I missed something.
It's just a gently caress the Black Guy thing. As people have said, if he went then there'd be a ton of cartoons showing the fake photo op. I can already imagine the Ramirez of such a cartoon, topped the the caption "Phony-in-Chief"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Was this posted? It showed up on Dailykos (no recent Animal Nuz though):

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

"Stick its face in the water and suck on its rear end in a top hat"

In that context, Obamacare is good for the horse but you have to do a gross thing to make it happen. My point?
None. I have no point. Unless funneling a shitload of tax money to insurance companies is like sucking on a horse's rear end in a top hat is a point.
Wait, no. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about. Maybe I have a future in the ever expanding field of political cartooning.
Seriously, I could get me a couple Pulitzers.

The point of that cartoon is that everybody in America totally hates Obamacare (if you call it Obamacare and not PPACA or by the state exchange's name) and Obama won't repeal it because he sucks!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rorus Raz posted:

I actually have a few cartoonists below Rall. Kirschen is awful, and Gosse actively hurts my eyes with his terrible coloring.

BoK is just bad and ugly in a way Rall doesn't usually achieve.

Branco is bad to the point where I don't think he deserves the title of cartoonist. Plenty of these guys draw badly but Branco scribbles like an untalented gradeschooler without even smoothing out his incompetence with some stylizing the way Rall and the others do. He just tries to draw people and fails at it.

Tack that on to ideas that are consistently banal in addition to spiteful and objectively wrong along with his status as a paid industry shill and the dude is just so utterly devoid of merit that just calling him a political cartoonist demeans a the rest of them by association.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ha ha. "Religion X" Yeah, any religion at all (proceeds to draw mosques, mention "the prophet", black clad, etc, etc). lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I understand that there're cartooning conventions (I think it was Ruben Bolling who mentioned Asay gets trashed at the parties they threw) and I have to imagine Branco is period not invited, only hesitantly allowed in when he shows up.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Voyager I posted:

Branco is bad to the point where I don't think he deserves the title of cartoonist. Plenty of these guys draw badly but Branco scribbles like an untalented gradeschooler without even smoothing out his incompetence with some stylizing the way Rall and the others do. He just tries to draw people and fails at it.

Tack that on to ideas that are consistently banal in addition to spiteful and objectively wrong along with his status as a paid industry shill and the dude is just so utterly devoid of merit that just calling him a political cartoonist demeans a the rest of them by association.

Counterpoint: the greatest political cartoon ever made.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sefer posted:

Pretty sure if it has sleeves it's just a sweater.
Maybe he's talking about the guy on the left.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samuel Clemens posted:

Counterpoint: the greatest political cartoon ever made.

What is up with cartoonists and randomly alternating between lower and uppercase and changing between fonts? I don't think it's even a political cartoonist only thing, I seem to recall seeing it in the funnies in the paper too. Is it A Thing that people are consciously taught to do, or do they all happen to have the same mental disorder that causes it?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

What is up with cartoonists and randomly alternating between lower and uppercase and changing between fonts? I don't think it's even a political cartoonist only thing, I seem to recall seeing it in the funnies in the paper too. Is it A Thing that people are consciously taught to do, or do they all happen to have the same mental disorder that causes it?

My guess is that Ramirez is their platonic ideal of what a political cartoonist is and he does it, so they do it. Much like how his caricatures tend to influence how other lovely cartoonists draw their characters. He's probably not the only one to do it, but he does it a lot and very blatantly.

You can see this a lot if you spent as much of your worthless life looking at lovely cartoons as I do.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Not My Leg posted:

Is this a talking point. College is valuable because it isn't free, and Obama's plan would devalue (community) college by making it free and available to everybody.

Obama: Noted for his Wilford Brimley moustache-like upper lip.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Charlie Hebdo – It was standing room only for the emotional Charlie Hebdo press conference on Tuesday afternoon, as the surviving members of the team vowed that the magazine would continue and its spirit would not be broken."

Yesterday's Telegraph:

David Cameron accuses Ed Miliband of 'disgusting' attempt to 'weaponise' NHS

Telegraph:

UK inflation rate falls to 0.5% in December

Independent:

David Cameron says new online data laws needed After Luz.

Yesterday's Times:

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:

Mail:

Beagle 2 Mars lander’s remains may have been spotted on red planet

Express:

Chairwoman of school governors who had alleged affair with headmaster is one of 'Cameron's Cuties'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I understand that there're cartooning conventions (I think it was Ruben Bolling who mentioned Asay gets trashed at the parties they threw) and I have to imagine Branco is period not invited, only hesitantly allowed in when he shows up.

I bet JRRose! just stands around making dad jokes and asking people to pull his finger.

• Locked thread