Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

jadeddrifter posted:

How well does that silent alarm work? I wouldn't think it would wake me up.

It's a pretty strong vibration on your wrist. I could never sleep through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

The thing with Fitbit is you probably are not as active as you think you are. Maybe you are, most people aren't, for me a more arbitrary goal tends to get me more active about longer dog walks, walking instead of taking Uber/Lyft to the bar, etc.

If you are already running and use a GPS watch the Flex probably isn't for you, the Charge HR is probably a better fit you because it offers real time heart rate tracking during workouts.

I've been running daily for a number of years but fell off for the past 6 months for injury/life reasons. I'm working my way back up and looking at some training programs that use HR tracking so I might look into the Charge HR soon, so thanks. My fiancee also wants a Fitbit and was also super-jealous that I got one, so I might hide this one and gift it to her once she forgets about it :v:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
One month on and still happy with my moto 360. I've had it run out of battery only once. Today I received my pebble steel band and stuck it on, fits & looks nice.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Sterf posted:

I think it depends on the watchface. I use Watchmaker and it lets me set it from 3 to 30 seconds.

booshi posted:

It can depend on the watchface, but yeah using another app is what I ended up doing. I found StayLit Wear which can go up to 60 seconds. 5 seconds was always way too little.

Loving wear by the way. I got to play with a 360 and try it over the holiday, and grabbed myself an Asus Zenwatch last week.

Wear Mini Launcher should just be part of Wear. However, if you keep mis-swiping to get to it, you can change where the hotspot is to launch it.

Thanks! I didn't realize I could change it in Watchmaker.

I find it odd though that something that is such a common setting - timeout settings, brightness level in both Ambient/Always On & full Display, would be on a per watchface basis.

It's a common setting! It should be built into Wear, why would you leave it up to individual watch faces/developers? It's so inconsistent. I like the Skymaster watch face, and it has it's own brightness level setting for Ambient, yet another pay watchface ( say, Pujie Black ) doesn't. Both of them don't allow you to adjust the time-out setting, only Watchmaker so far.

Hopefully they have this on the roadmap for Wear in the future. I know it's because it's so new but I change my watchface 2-3 times a day and it's frustrating that basic things like screen timeout & brightness can be completely different depending.

I know Wear has been criticized for being so young/not really all there yet but I actually find these small things to be the most annoying and not major things like crashes ( My G Watch R has probably crashed 5-6 times in the past week, maybe depending on the watchface I'm not sure - but each time the screen goes all hosed up - kind of a peachy colour with bright spots on the left & right of the screen ).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Magog posted:

One month on and still happy with my moto 360. I've had it run out of battery only once. Today I received my pebble steel band and stuck it on, fits & looks nice.

Is there a reason people are going with the pebble steel bands over the moto 360 metal bands other than they just like the look of the pebble better?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fyallm posted:

Is there a reason people are going with the pebble steel bands over the moto 360 metal bands other than they just like the look of the pebble better?

They are eleventybillion times cheaper.

$35 vs $80

I love my 360 but I'm going to have to RMA it at some point. I got the stress cracks in the back around the corners of the band attachment. They are replacing them no questions asked, but I'm waiting for a bit to see if they actually made any changes in the construction to beef them up.

They don't impact performance, don't dig into my skin and aren't getting any worse. I still want them fixed though because a $250 product shouldn't have issues like that.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I wouldn't consider my arms/wrists to be very hairy, but I got a Pebble Steel for Christmas and cannot stand the nice metal strap. It looks so nice, but it pinches and pulls my hair like crazy. I'm wearing the rinky dink leather strap until I find a silicone strap for the Pebble.

I also replaced the similar steel band on my Fossil because it seems I have an allergic reaction to the metal band. I got a cloth (nylon?) strap for the summer and silicone for the winter. Is there a silicone strap that people recommend?

Edit - Rephrased question.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 13, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

$35 vs $80

I love my 360 but I'm going to have to RMA it at some point. I got the stress cracks in the back around the corners of the band attachment. They are replacing them no questions asked, but I'm waiting for a bit to see if they actually made any changes in the construction to beef them up.

They don't impact performance, don't dig into my skin and aren't getting any worse. I still want them fixed though because a $250 product shouldn't have issues like that.

Pebble steel band is only $19.99

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pebble-Steel-...asin=B00L8C818C

Looks like only the black is and only from amazon. Stainless steel is $39.99 from amazon and $34.99 from best buy.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Looks like only the black is and only from amazon. Stainless steel is $39.99 from amazon and $34.99 from best buy.

Both are on Pebble's site for $20 with free shipping: https://getpebble.com/shop/pebble_steel_straps

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Both show $19.99 from amazon. "Vadget" has it for $39.99 on amazon but that is not amazon.

Amazon is simply out of stock on the silver right now. You can also PM amazon at bestbuy so hope you didn't pay $34.99 for yours.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any reports on battery life for the Fitbit HR? I have a Fitbit One where they say 7 day battery but it goes way longer than that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

You can also PM amazon at bestbuy so hope you didn't pay $34.99 for yours.

I'm not in the market for one. I don't really like steel bands.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

$35 vs $80

I didn't even notice my watch had cracks in it but now that I know it bothers me.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

If you have an LG G Watch or something similar, don't buy the Pebble Steel watchband because it'll rattle around.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mu Zeta posted:

Any reports on battery life for the Fitbit HR? I have a Fitbit One where they say 7 day battery but it goes way longer than that.

Long enough, maybe 5-6 days? When I get an email saying the battery is low I throw it on the charger when I wake up in the morning and it is fully charged by the time I get ready to leave the house, never had it go dead or die quick enough that I consider it a burden.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

From Pebble direct, it's still $19.99. When the Moto 360 came out, it was $19.99 everywhere (Best Buy, Amazon, etc).

Pebble probably noticed them quickly going out of stock due to 360 owners suddenly wanting them, then they cranked up their production facility and raised the price to $34.99.

Smart or scummy? You decide. I'm sure they are just happy Motorola gifted them with some aftermarket sales.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of wish the 360 had lugs. Those connecter addons that were kickstarted were a neat idea, but just didn't look seamless. Metal bands look really awkward without lugs IMO.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

fyallm posted:

As others said the price. $20 on amazon. I'm definitely still after a proper 360 band, if it comes down in price perhaps.

Guess I'm lucky I'm pretty hairless re: the pebble steel band.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had a pebble steel band on my 360/hairy arms and it didn't bother me at all. e.g.

Have an even cheaper metal band on my GWR and still no problems. Must be a certain sensitivity/thickness thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kameh posted:

I also replaced the similar steel band on my Fossil because it seems I have an allergic reaction to the metal band. I got a cloth (nylon?) strap for the summer and silicone for the winter. Is there a silicone strap that people recommend?

Edit - Rephrased question.

https://www.richardtracybrand.com/products/shank-for-pebble-steel

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

OK, I'm a moron, here are the emails:

It gets at very least another 12 hours after the warning so I feel comfortable saying the rated battery life is conservative.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

OK, I'm a moron, here are the emails:

It gets at very least another 12 hours after the warning so I feel comfortable saying the rated battery life is conservative.

Really? I think I'd get two days, maaaaybe 3 out of my ChargeHR. No where near 5.

That being said, it is measuring heart and syncing often, so you might if you turned those features off. But then, why would you buy it?

It isn't water friendly, so I just charge it while I shower. No big deal. Plus the charging cord is stupid short so it is bathroom outlet friendly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FunOne posted:

Really? I think I'd get two days, maaaaybe 3 out of my ChargeHR. No where near 5.

That being said, it is measuring heart and syncing often, so you might if you turned those features off. But then, why would you buy it?

I guess I don't understand the question? It tracks heart rate 24/7 including while you sleep down to the minute/second, I run at least three miles a day where it logs the workout by the second, I have continuous sync turned on, the advertise numbers are honest.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the Charge HR, it is currently in stock over at Amazon for those looking to make the purchase. The Fitbit website has it listed as being on back order for a few weeks and my local big box stores all claim to not have any stock. So get it while the gettings good!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I guess I don't understand the question? It tracks heart rate 24/7 including while you sleep down to the minute/second, I run at least three miles a day where it logs the workout by the second, I have continuous sync turned on, the advertise numbers are honest.

I'm saying I'm not seeing the advertised numbers in my usage. I haven't deliberately tried to run it down either, so it might be just a mistake on reported battery usage. But after a night of sleep mine is reporting being 75% charged, which to me means it'll only make it 2 days without a top off.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Verizon and maybe other Cellphone providers sell wearables via their accessories stores and at MSRP. So if you've got a corporate discount on your phone company check out if it applies to accessories, just grabbed a Charge HR for $119.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FunOne posted:

I'm saying I'm not seeing the advertised numbers in my usage. I haven't deliberately tried to run it down either, so it might be just a mistake on reported battery usage. But after a night of sleep mine is reporting being 75% charged, which to me means it'll only make it 2 days without a top off.

Where are you seeing battery level? I only see an indicator in the app that says fully charged, not fully charged and needs to be charged. Are you perhaps miss-reading that indicator? It doesn't give you actually battery level, if it looks 75% charged it just means it doesn't have a full charge.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Where are you seeing battery level? I only see an indicator in the app that says fully charged, not fully charged and needs to be charged. Are you perhaps miss-reading that indicator? It doesn't give you actually battery level, if it looks 75% charged it just means it doesn't have a full charge.

There's one on the watch that shows when you plug it in to charge.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FunOne posted:

There's one on the watch that shows when you plug it in to charge.

That isn't battery level, that is % to charge. Keep in mind that the charging circuits of lithium ion batteries take dramatically longer to charge the last 10-20% of the battery so while it might have only depleted the battery 10% it's going to take much, much longer than that to charge from 90%-100% than 20% to 30%.

Seriously, leave it alone, when you get the low battery alert you have at very, very least 12 hours, likely more than 24 to put it on the charger.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Seriously, leave it alone, when you get the low battery alert you have at very, very least 12 hours, likely more than 24 to put it on the charger.

All I said was that I throw it on the charger when I take a shower. Its not like I'm going out of my way to do anything here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FunOne posted:

All I said was that I throw it on the charger when I take a shower. Its not like I'm going out of my way to do anything here.

According to the FAQ they say that leaving the HR sensor on all the time will drain the battery quicker. They recommend you leave it on "auto" where it only turns on when it detects activity. Maybe that could help you.

Anyway, I just ordered one. I love my Fitbit One but it's way too easy to lose. It almost went in the washing machine again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

According to the FAQ they say that leaving the HR sensor on all the time will drain the battery quicker. They recommend you leave it on "auto" where it only turns on when it detects activity. Maybe that could help you.

Auto just turns it off when you aren't wearing the Fitbit, when it is in auto it will still track 24/7 as long as you are wearing it.

FunOne posted:

My point is more that it should not be burning through 25% of it's battery overnight, either you are being spergy about it and need to let it go or if you actually believe this is happening you have a defective unit and need to go more than 24 hours without a charge to confirm, I don't see any reason to speculate on how long the battery life will last when you can just wear it for a few days and see, it will give you amble warning to plug it in when the battery gets low.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 15, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

My point is more that it should not be burning through 25% of it's battery overnight, either you are being spergy about it and need to let it go or if you actually believe this is happening you have a defective unit and need to go more than 24 hours without a charge to confirm, I don't see any reason to speculate on how long the battery life will last when you can just wear it for a few days and see, it will give you amble warning to plug it in when the battery gets low.

Jesus Christ. When I plug it in it shows 75% battery. I plug it in when I take a shower since the instruction say it isn't water proof.

Next time I want to throw in my 2 cents I'll make sure to do a comprehensive battery test and benchmark.

Glad to know the wearable thread is as awesome as the android thread.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

FunOne posted:

Jesus Christ. When I plug it in it shows 75% battery. I plug it in when I take a shower since the instruction say it isn't water proof.

Next time I want to throw in my 2 cents I'll make sure to do a comprehensive battery test and benchmark.

Glad to know the wearable thread is as awesome as the android thread.

To be fair, I wouldn't pin this on the "Wearable thread" but on "Three Olives" instead, since no one else is sperging about how you may/may not be sperging about the battery life of your Charge.

FWIW - I agree with both of you ( sort of ). As an experiment, just leave it until it totally dies and see how long it takes rather than charging it when you normally would. It's reasonable to assume if it loses 25% overnight, you're not gonna make it past 2 days.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
This was mentioned a couple pages ago
http://www.bragi.com

But no one gives a poo poo? This looks AWESOME to me and is close to making my dream of being in Her a reality.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

But no one gives a poo poo? This looks AWESOME to me and is close to making my dream of being in Her a reality.

Not for 300 earth dollars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't this exactly like that Motorola thingie? That and 300 bucks is probably why nobody cares.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

rear end Catchcum posted:

Look at one of the features of these wireless earbuds!

quote:

The Leash

Crafted for the adventurous. Secure your dash in extreme situations by clipping the leash safely to your clothes.

They seem to have some really cool features, but I would be incredibly scared of losing one. If they were $100 then I might be more interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't this exactly like that Motorola thingie? That and 300 bucks is probably why nobody cares.

No, they are really aimed at fitness people with built in memory storage, heart rate tracking, etc. Price is a little high but if the heart rate tracking can match a strap, a good pair of Bluetooth running ear buds will easily set you back $150, a chest strap another $60, Forerunners, Smart Watches, cellphones, they are dabbling in a lot of overlapping categories here on the fitness side, price is probably fairly close to justified.