Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Covok posted:

If you think about it, Trunks should have been the hero of that arc since a) he is the one who had to live through awful alternate future and b) besides Goku, he was the only one who wasn't there in the last go around. Gohan was there and failed to beat the android. To be fair, he didn't have his father mentor him and teach him to unlock his full power, but still!

That's why the commercial for Heroes that has him fight Buu and go Super Sayian 3 makes me so giddy. Trunks was my favorite character when I watched DBZ, and it brings out the inner 9 year old in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
so does trunks's world have a different god of destruction. or was that the same world, or just a different timeline. none of it really adds up. also theoretically trunks could have just chilled with the regular guys whenever, shouldve been able to kill the androids before they killed everyone, etc. idk.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
1. It's the same world, just a different timeline. Beerus just woke up, and I don't think he'd care about Earth if Goku wasn't around.

2. He could have, but he was kind of busy rebuilding his world.

3. He didn't know where Gero's lab was. Unless you mean time travel back to save the others, because that's what he tried to do and it didn't work out.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

But he could have gone back again yet another time and stopped anyone from getting hurt at all.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

BlitzBlast posted:

1. It's the same world, just a different timeline. Beerus just woke up, and I don't think he'd care about Earth if Goku wasn't around.

2. He could have, but he was kind of busy rebuilding his world.

3. He didn't know where Gero's lab was. Unless you mean time travel back to save the others, because that's what he tried to do and it didn't work out.

well w/r/t to 2... he didnt have to be busy rebuilding his world bc he could have just returned like 1 second after he left but been all jacked up and powerful. so he could have trained and hung out for a while and just gone back to right after he left.

3. he could have got insanely strong then traveled back again and killed both freiza, the androids and cell w/ minimal effort. i think its a different world, like beerus was saying its a different universe

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

BlitzBlast posted:

It's literally covered in the manga.

Bulma proposes to use the dragon balls to find Gero and stop him, Krillin agrees, Goku and Vegeta do not.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Rudoku posted:

They didn't kick his rear end hard enough until they finally killed him. That and they jumped him all the time. He could probably beat 18 by himself.

Nah, Future Gohan is just really weak, Future 17 kicked his rear end while using less than half his power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Exercu posted:

Bulma proposes to use the dragon balls to find Gero and stop him, Krillin agrees, Goku and Vegeta do not.

Vegeta is literally the worst loving dude in the whole series, goodness.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Horrible Taste posted:

Nah, Future Gohan is just really weak, Future 17 kicked his rear end while using less than half his power.

Both Future Gohan and Trunks are pretty weak. When going back in time Trunks was supposed to be around as strong as Gohan (who in turn wishes he were as strong as his dad) and yet after all this fighting with the androids and sparring with each other, when Trunks turns Super Sayian in front of Freeza, present Gohan notes that he's as strong as Goku was on Namek. :spergin: Hell, we see (a younger) Trunks sparring in his SSJ form against an armless Gohan in his base form.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Vegeta is literally the worst loving dude in the whole series, goodness.

Remember when he murdered an entire wall of an arena to make Goku take him seriously?

EDIT: "Murdered" to "miseries". Weirdest auto correct I've ever had.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 14, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Firstborn posted:

I kind of like how all of Trunks' attacks in the anime are flashy arm things or awkward Jojo poses and then he just fires the same yellow/blue blast as everyone else. It's also pretty incredible that he doesn't name any of them, so the games have to step in to call them BURNING SHINING BLAST BREAKER or whatever. Since he's a teen, it always struck me that he was just doing some stuff he thought looked sweet.

I really like how theatrical Vegeta's attacks are, too. I'll admit that even in the FUNi dub it kind of gave me chills when he's charging Final Flash versus Cell and his voice echoes, "NOW YOU'LL SEE A TRUE SAIYAN WARRIOR (rrior... ior....or)" with his awesome theme done with bells and stuff.

You'll never hear a DBZ attack with a cooler name than Buster Cannon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Horrible Taste posted:

Uh? Source. I mean he was weak compared to the DBZ timeline but I don't think that he was 'really weak.'

mmkay posted:

Both Future Gohan and Trunks are pretty weak. When going back in time Trunks was supposed to be around as strong as Gohan (who in turn wishes he were as strong as his dad) and yet after all this fighting with the androids and sparring with each other, when Trunks turns Super Sayian in front of Freeza, present Gohan notes that he's as strong as Goku was on Namek. :spergin: Hell, we see (a younger) Trunks sparring in his SSJ form against an armless Gohan in his base form.

That weak trunks somehow killed the (weaker) Androids himself in the future. Also Mech Frieza is suppose to be stronger than Full Power Frieza and Trunks killed him in 2 seconds flat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Exercu posted:

It's literally covered in the manga.

Better version.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mmkay posted:

Hell, we see (a younger) Trunks sparring in his SSJ form against an armless Gohan in his base form.

Huh? I thought Trunks didn't hit SSJ until One-Armed Gohan died.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Huh? I thought Trunks didn't hit SSJ until One-Armed Gohan died.

That was only in the movie. In the manga, he can turn SSJ by this point.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Kild posted:

Uh? Source. I mean he was weak compared to the DBZ timeline but I don't think that he was 'really weak.'

In the manga version of Trunks' backstory, #17 declares that he has been using less than half of his power before killing Gohan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

In the manga version of Trunks' backstory, #17 declares that he has been using less than half of his power before killing Gohan.
It's DBZ, everyone is always using less than half their power.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kild posted:

That weak trunks somehow killed the (weaker) Androids himself in the future. Also Mech Frieza is suppose to be stronger than Full Power Frieza and Trunks killed him in 2 seconds flat.

When Yamcha asks if Freeza was always this powerful, Gohan notes that is not his full power (and he didn't know that Freeza got a power boost). Considering how short the whole encounter was, he most likely never had a chance to power up.

EDIT:
Or as an alternate solution, power levels are bullshit and I doubt Toriyama put anywhere near this amount of thought into it.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 13, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Anyone know if any of the DVD extras on Battle of Gods are worth a watch? I just got a late Christmas present from a friend I haven't seen in a while.

"Hey look guys, Vegeta actually has friends!"

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 14, 2015

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

This is sort of an interesting idea. Given that it was technically Trunks who kills Freeza, maybe he should be expecting a visit from from the God of Destruction.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Bushmaori posted:

This is sort of an interesting idea. Given that it was technically Trunks who kills Freeza, maybe he should be expecting a visit from from the God of Destruction.

I thought he got chumped by the goddess of time for his wacky time travelling tomfoolery and is now a cop in her service for his meddling?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
God drat. I forgot how much I loved this movie. I should probably watch it in subtitled form, because maybe I'm reading in to things too much, but the movie seems to make a clear distinction between ki and god energy or whatever Beerus uses. Characters can't sense Beerus' power at all, and Beerus says that the energy the characters use is useless against him. Likewise, when Goku becomes the Super Saiyan God the other characters become unable to sense Goku either, (along with all the stuff with just experiencing that power making base Goku stronger) and Beerus outright says he's become a god (I'll have to check if he is saying kami or whatever or just uses the english term). Weiss even offers to make Goku Beerus' replacement, while that's clearly a joke callback to Kami doing the same thing I wonder how serious he really was.

It gave me the idea that the next movie is gonna be Freeza gaining god power somehow, based solely on the image of Freeza in the poster having him with a red colouring, just like God Goku does. God I'm turning 14 again...

It's amazing how this series is so loving old, and has actually been finished for years, and yet this movie just makes it feel like Goku and the gang have a whole new realm of adventures and possibilities, with a lot more training to do and new heights of power to hit.

I've also come to appreciate all the goofy and comedic aspects of Dragonball more and more the older I've got. I think when I was a teen I was determined that stuff I liked had to be treated seriously because I wanted to be treated seriously or something and couldn't just enjoy goofy fun poo poo for being goofy fun. Pilaf and Roshi are the best and need to be in every Dragonball thing. I can't even remember the last time we had Puar and Oolong just being shits to each other.

Goku does a good Vegeta impression.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Vegeta killed Cell but he somehow survives because of regeneration and then he sneaks up on 18 and eats her

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I agree, the older I get the more I appreciate the silliness.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Same with me as well. I mean I like when DBZ is serious too, but drat if I don't love that the entire Earth was almost destroyed just because Majin Buu wouldn't share his pudding.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The strongest people in DBZ are always man-children.

Even Frieza took his dad to Earth with him to complain about how some guy beat him up. :allears:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The strongest people in DBZ are always man-children.

Even Frieza took his dad to Earth with him to complain about how some guy beat him up. :allears:

It's because to become a fighter on the level of those characters one tends to have to let things like personal growth and intellect fall to the wayside, so that every moment of their time and every aspect of their mind and body is devoted to combat. That's why Gohan constantly fluxates in power, he keeps trying to balance the two and it doesn't work. It's also why Goku is one of the most powerful people in existence, but is dumb as a sack of rocks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That talk about Attack of The Saiyans is now making me want to make a Dragon Ball RPG in RPG Maker to cover the whole franchise(admittedly GT would probably be relegated to side quests or something), starting from the beginning of Dragon Ball and going Saga by Saga(and squeezing in Movie and other side material stuff where appropriate), although I imagine lots of little tweaks would be needed to be made to make Dragon Ball work as an RPG, how interested would you guys be in such a thing?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Imagine four dragonballs on the edge of a cliff...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

Imagine four dragonballs on the edge of a cliff...

I know that's a reference to something but can't remember what it is

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drrockso20 posted:

I know that's a reference to something but can't remember what it is

It's only Zybourne Clock, the most famous of horrible goon projects.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Testekill posted:

It's only Zybourne Clock, the most famous of horrible goon projects.

Oh yeah, well I'll definitely try to make something better than that mess(if /m/ can successfully make a Kamen Rider RPG than I'd say one for Dragon Ball couldn't be that hard to do)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Making an RPGmaker game is easy.

Making a good RPGmaker game is not.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drrockso20 posted:

Oh yeah, well I'll definitely try to make something better than that mess(if /m/ can successfully make a Kamen Rider RPG than I'd say one for Dragon Ball couldn't be that hard to do)

Just remember that Zybourne Clock was so famously stupid that it was mocked in Fallout New Vegas.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Xibanya posted:

I agree, the older I get the more I appreciate the silliness.

Didn't someone say one time that every child's favorite DBZ character is Vegeta and every Adult's favorite DBZ character is Goku or something?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Testekill posted:

Just remember that Zybourne Clock was so famously stupid that it was mocked in Fallout New Vegas.

Also because Obsidian has goons on staff. One of the best weapons in the game is a unique weapon called the YCS/186 (186 being the old forum ID number of Your Console Sucks).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Remember when he miseries an entire wall of an arena to make Goku take him seriously?

Or the time he knowingly let Cell absorb 18 when he could have easily beaten his semi-imperfect form? And beat the poo poo out of Trunks for trying to stop it from happening?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Making an RPGmaker game is easy.

Making a good RPGmaker game is not.

True, although it helps that I'd be doing this in a semi-episodic manner which would make it easier to make something good(first chapter would cover through either the end of the Pilaf chapters or the end of Goku's first Budokai tournament for example), main obstacle is me needing a copy of the current version of RPG Maker(forgot to get a copy during the last Steam Sale), and it having been a long time since I used a previous version of RPG Maker(which I no longer have access to)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Prison Warden posted:

Anyone know if any of the DVD extras on Battle of Gods are worth a watch? I just got a late Christmas present from a friend I haven't seen in a while.

"Hey look guys, Vegeta actually has friends!"

There is a feature where you get to watch Sean Schemmel record Goku's dialogue during a fight scene including all of the grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New DBZ TCG set got Mr. Popo and he rules

• Locked thread