Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

see you tomorrow posted:

Playing on pain mode seems to prevent you from earning the joyful achievement, maybe the joyless one too.

Pain ending am I supposed to know who Dusty's dad is? Or was he referring to Brad? My first thought was actually Buzzo, blonde hair and all, but then if Buzzo is that old you'd have to wonder what his connection to Lisa was.

Rando's character bio in the art collection says he took Brad's last name since he was an orphan, so he's referring to Brad in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-AXuqkL7WQ&t=30s

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That uuuuuuuhuuh is in lisa the first too, pitched up, every time you examine a toilet

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Honestly did not expect to enjoy the game as much as I do. Still, the fever-dream weirdness of the game has prompted a lot of questions (so far). I guess there's an appeal to a lot of them remaining a mystery, but I have to ask about a couple of them.

What's the deal with the adorable little bubble-headed man dancing to techno music toward the beginning of the game? When you return later, you see that he has committed suicide. Is there some way to interact with him at any point?

Also, what exactly is "Lisa: The First"? It looks like a fairly different game. Is it some sort of prequel to this game?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Honestly did not expect to enjoy the game as much as I do. Still, the fever-dream weirdness of the game has prompted a lot of questions (so far). I guess there's an appeal to a lot of them remaining a mystery, but I have to ask about a couple of them.

What's the deal with the adorable little bubble-headed man dancing to techno music toward the beginning of the game? When you return later, you see that he has committed suicide. Is there some way to interact with him at any point?

Also, what exactly is "Lisa: The First"? It looks like a fairly different game. Is it some sort of prequel to this game?

The disco ball guy is Widdly 2 Diddly, the developer's music man alter ego. He needed some way to move so you could get the magazines he was blocking.

Lisa the First is a freeware rpgmaker game the dev made that's sort of like Yume Nikki if you ever played that, you can get it at http://rpgmaker.net/games/4412/

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
I think the one thing that Dingaling could have added to this game is party banter, kind of like what happens in Bioware games (Dragonage, Mass Effect). There's so many characters and combinations that it would get a little rediculous writing that much, but it would be awesome!

Also can't stop listening to the soundtrack

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Devour or Fire posted:

The disco ball guy is Widdly 2 Diddly, the developer's music man alter ego. He needed some way to move so you could get the magazines he was blocking.

Lisa the First is a freeware rpgmaker game the dev made that's sort of like Yume Nikki if you ever played that, you can get it at http://rpgmaker.net/games/4412/

Interesting...he looked like he would have made a good party member, too. Really dug that dude's spirit. Might have to check out the other game, though.

Another thing I wish the game had was for items like helmets and outfits to actually modify the appearance of party members. I want to actually see my dudes in football helmets in trash bags, you know?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, so a while back, I went to sleep and woke up to discover that one of my party members had been kidnapped; the letter the kidnappers left behind was something like, "IF you want to see your friend again, come see us!" with the name (I think) of the gang included in the letter. I knew that this was one of those random scenarios that could happen when resting, but I still assumed that I'd eventually come across the kidnappers somehow. Hours later, I figure I must have missed their hideout, because I seem pretty deep into the game now and haven't found any opportunity to recover my party member. I've written him off, but I'm just curious if there ever actually was a chance to save him.

Really fun game, though. I've read of quite a few people clocking the game at "a few hours", which seems like they were just blasting through everything as quickly as possible and not doing any real exploring, since I haven't reached the "third crossroads" achievement yet and I have ~8 hours on my save. My only "issue" is that there are times where I seem to be picking up so many new party members, I'm sort of overwhelmed with figuring out who to try out and who to abandon to the Bar lists.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 10, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay, so a while back, I went to sleep and woke up to discover that one of my party members had been kidnapped; the letter the kidnappers left behind was something like, "IF you want to see your friend again, come see us!" with the name (I think) of the gang included in the letter. I knew that this was one of those random scenarios that could happen when resting, but I still assumed that I'd eventually come across the kidnappers somehow. Hours later, I figure I must have missed their hideout, because I seem pretty deep into the game now and haven't found any opportunity to recover my party member. I've written him off, but I'm just curious if there ever actually was a chance to save him.

Do you remember which area it was in? If they were called the Blue Rockets, it's the first door in the first hub, continue past the pub, and find the door with blue writing around it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game takes quite some time if you manage to visit every area and find every secret, but your probably not gonna do that on your first run. I mean I tried to do that but couldn't simply because navigating an entire 2D map is kind of confusing. Lost track of which doors I hadn't gone through.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Finished depression quest with Terry, Fardy, and Ollie. Wasn't so bad other than being reliant on joy to get through a lot of the boss fights (quickly at least). Ollie's last skill actually gives enemies depression.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Do you remember which area it was in? If they were called the Blue Rockets, it's the first door in the first hub, continue past the pub, and find the door with blue writing around it.

Yeah actually that rings a bell--it was them. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. Poor Terry is dead forever.

Internet Kraken posted:

The game takes quite some time if you manage to visit every area and find every secret, but your probably not gonna do that on your first run. I mean I tried to do that but couldn't simply because navigating an entire 2D map is kind of confusing. Lost track of which doors I hadn't gone through.

Yeah, it's definitely a confusing setup. It doesn't help (or does it?) that you can go through a door and suddenly you're in a desert with crimson skies, and then another door and you're in a swamp, or a weird city...it's all very strange and disorienting and dreamlike which, I suppose, is part of the game's whole allure.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Anyone know if there's any pain mode content besides the ending + lab?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Anyone know if there's any pain mode content besides the ending + lab?

There's a few extra enemies added here and there, but otherwise no.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does anyone know the name of the track that plays when you fight Satan?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Does anyone know the name of the track that plays when you fight Satan?

Exploding Hearts.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Devour or Fire posted:

Exploding Hearts.

Ah, found it. Thanks a lot!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Just beat this game on normal mode.

Still working with an incomplete understanding of the story, but sort of wish there was a way to walk away from the final fights. (If there is, I haven't figured it out yet). Great game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just beat this game on normal mode.

Still working with an incomplete understanding of the story, but sort of wish there was a way to walk away from the final fights. (If there is, I haven't figured it out yet). Great game.

The point is more or less that Brad is too far gone to stop for anything.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anatharon posted:

The point is more or less that Brad is too far gone to stop for anything.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess my problem with it is that, with the exception of the scene when Buzzo forces Brad to take Joy, I chose to not take a single Joy pill the entire game. And the game also gives you the choice of making horrific sacrifices for the sake of companions...so it seems sort of hollow, I suppose, to suddenly shoehorn the character into Joyroiding (you like that? I just made that poo poo up) all over a bunch of relatively sympathetic characters toward the end of the game. It'd be one thing to put you in that position if you've been sacrificing companions and popping Joy the entire time to deal with withdrawal, but it's sort of lame when it does it even when you're a drug-free saint. I guess it's possibly because there's no turning back once you start taking Joy, but I feel like this particular ending would have been much more profound if this wasn't so fatalist, and players who took the drug were genuinely confronted with the monstrous consequences of their decisions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I get what you're saying, but that just isn't what the game seems to be going for. If you think about it, all of the choices you make are hollow ones. If a companion lives or dies it doesn't really matter since there are 30 more to take his place. Brad himself certainly doesn't give a poo poo about any of them. Not taking Joy doesn't really mean anything since Brad was hosed up long before he ever started it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think this game is kind of misleading with how it talks about choices.

The game isn't really about the choices you make as a player. The game is about Brad, and the choices he makes that lead his life down a path to ruin. Descriptions of it make it try to sound like yet another game where choices are supposed to have significant consequences and you can change things. Well, choices do have consequences, but you're not supposed to be able to change the ultimate result. Not sure why the game marketed itself as something where that isn't the case. I can see it being done to trick you into thinking you can change Brad's miserable life only to realize he's too far gone. I don't think tricking the player like that really works though, in most cases I imagine people just get frustrated because they thought it was a different kind of game.

I think if your choices really altered the ending the game would be a lot weaker. However if you came in under the expectation that they would, and I can definitely see why you would think that, I can understand being annoyed with the ending.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, that's my thing, is that it seems like the my initial impression of the game--the thing that sold me on it was--"This game is about having to make hard choices, and about feeling pain and discomfort, and making sacrifices to save the people around you!"

I mean, this is the author's own words:

quote:

I want the world of Lisa to be hard on the player. I hate playing a game knowing that if I make a choice, it has to be the one I know the game wants me to do, or the "safe" option, or the one that leads to the good ending. The choices you make will change the core mechanics of the game, it's not just superficial.

Like I said, though, I still really enjoyed the game, and am playing through it a second time to catch all of the party members and overlooked areas from the first run. It says a lot that I'm investing this much time in a game that's part of a genre I haven't played in years.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 12, 2015

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think that's what's so interesting about LISA.

You have choices to make regarding the safety of your companions and that kind of thing, but the hopelessness of the whole situation makes them so unimportant. It's a different kind of choices-not-mattering, because it leaves you feeling so terrible. The feelings of anxiety and restlessness the setting (particularly the mutants that pop up on you) and music inspire are really unique.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anxiety is definitely a good word for it. I want to say that at least two specific scenes have really stuck in my head on that note:

1. Dismal Island: You show up on this random island, where you meet up with a sinister dude who encourages you to abuse yourself, dress like a woman, drink paint, etc. The whole thing is so much more sinister than the swamp brothel where you meet Queen Roger (which is, perhaps weirdly, one of the more positive locales in the game), even though both areas have real submissive sexual vibes going on. I guess the Swamp Brothel is happier because people seem to be satisfied and safe and structured there. So then you kill the dude on Dismal Island and encounter "Jonathan", who is definitely one of the creepiest goddamn characters in the game.

2. The Restaurant: Everything about this place is dirty and hosed. I'm still parsing everything that went on in that scene.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, that's my thing, is that it seems like the my initial impression of the game--the thing that sold me on it was--"This game is about having to make hard choices, and about feeling pain and discomfort, and making sacrifices to save the people around you!"

I mean, this is the author's own words:

Like I said, though, I still really enjoyed the game, and am playing through it a second time to catch all of the party members and overlooked areas from the first run. It says a lot that I'm investing this much time in a game that's part of a genre I haven't played in years.

Tbf that's from the Kickstarter and the game changed quite a bit from its original conception. I've been meaning to edit the OP (I made it before the release of the game) but I'm lazy.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Anxiety is definitely a good word for it. I want to say that at least two specific scenes have really stuck in my head on that note:

1. Dismal Island: You show up on this random island, where you meet up with a sinister dude who encourages you to abuse yourself, dress like a woman, drink paint, etc. The whole thing is so much more sinister than the swamp brothel where you meet Queen Roger (which is, perhaps weirdly, one of the more positive locales in the game), even though both areas have real submissive sexual vibes going on. I guess the Swamp Brothel is happier because people seem to be satisfied and safe and structured there. So then you kill the dude on Dismal Island and encounter "Jonathan", who is definitely one of the creepiest goddamn characters in the game.

Fun fact: it's also a reference to the Dismal Jesters podcast hosted by Jim Sterling and some other video game journalist people. Originally they were supposed to be in as a gang you fight but Dingaling changed it to what is now since one of the guys doing it (Jonathan Holmes) left.

Relatedly, the two guys that ask for some dynamite are a Two Best Friends reference, and apparently Shocklord is a reference to a joke they made.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the Shockmaster is no joke, my friend

he is all too real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

The maker is clearly a wrestling fan, the ewe scene was littered with wwf references

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

The maker is clearly a wrestling fan, the ewe scene was littered with wwf references

Pretty much. This is what the creator says:

"I am a professional martial artist, I study Wushu, my specialty is the drunken style. (I started martial arts because of video games, mainly Streets of Rage and King of Fighters!) I also study acting and writing. I love narrative in games, especially if it can weave well with gameplay. My income comes from winning competitions. It's a very modest living, being a performance martial artist is no UFC! Martial arts is great, but my first and true love is video games. Earthbound is my favorite game of all time, it's done so much for me. (Is it obvious how much it inspired Lisa? I hope so!)."

His Facebook is basically a shrine to karate/action movies, wrestling, and combative sports, too. Dude knows what he likes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Most of the 'random encounter' enemies are references to wrestling, too.

Genocyber posted:

Tbf that's from the Kickstarter and the game changed quite a bit from its original conception. I've been meaning to edit the OP (I made it before the release of the game) but I'm lazy.

Fun fact: it's also a reference to the Dismal Jesters podcast hosted by Jim Sterling and some other video game journalist people. Originally they were supposed to be in as a gang you fight but Dingaling changed it to what is now since one of the guys doing it (Jonathan Holmes) left.

Relatedly, the two guys that ask for some dynamite are a Two Best Friends reference, and apparently Shocklord is a reference to a joke they made.

Satan is a kickstarter reference as is that weird horse head dude in the public baths too, iirc.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 13, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Satan is a kickstarter reference as is that weird horse head dude in the public baths too, iirc.

Yeah, I've encountered both of those dudes--I've never gotten the horse head dude to say or do anything, but I have confronted the man behind "Satan".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Where's the last encounter with the salvation rangers at? I can't find it.

The last encounter with Columbo is out of nowhere and kinda sad...

The Pain Mode ending is the most depressing thing I've ever seen in a video game. :smith:

What's the song played during the last fights called in the OST?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 13, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

2. The Restaurant: Everything about this place is dirty and hosed. I'm still parsing everything that went on in that scene.

Wally's is one of my favorite areas in the game because it manages to be extremely hilarious and disturbing at the same time. Something I didn't notice on my first playthrough is you can actually hear laughter echoing in the distance as you make your way through the village.

Anatharon posted:

What's the song played during the last fights called in the OST?

The End is Nigh

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Devour or Fire posted:

The bios helped me find out what the orphanage guy's worst day of his life was.

How, which?

Internet Kraken posted:

The End is Nigh

Appreciated. :tipshat:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anatharon posted:

How, which?

Isn't he the guy that got his bulldozer certificate stolen by the bulldozer guy you fight at the end of the construction area.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Isn't he the guy that got his bulldozer certificate stolen by the bulldozer guy you fight at the end of the construction area.

Oh, you're right. :allears:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there no way to (end-game spoilers) kill Marty without hitting Buddy? That whole scene is :smith: incarnate.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there no way to (end-game spoilers) kill Marty without hitting Buddy? That whole scene is :smith: incarnate.

There is not. For what it's worth Dingaling said that attacking Buddy, and potentially Shocklord/Terry were the parts of the game he found most depressing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Anatharon posted:

There is not. For what it's worth Dingaling said that attacking Buddy, and potentially Shocklord/Terry were the parts of the game he found most depressing.

He was on the money with Shocklord. Is he one of the only party members that never tries to attack you in that fight? Do any just not care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

He was on the money with Shocklord. Is he one of the only party members that never tries to attack you in that fight? Do any just not care?

A number of them try not to attack you; I know Nern and Birdie barely ever did. Buckets attacked me every turn, though.

I found Columbo shooting himself and Rando getting killed by Brad to be pretty hard downers. The first was more of a surprise that it was, though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread