Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Multiplayer FPS map design took a helluva dive. Quake goddamn 1. Didn't it also have spawnpoints across all SP maps so you could reliably deathmatch every single one, that's what I remember from the lanparties. Not to mention its great MP maps that were so simple but so effective (yeah no memory of Duke3D despite the high school hours wasted in that). Quake 2, less of the same but absolutely great. Quake 3 far less of that same and instead arena-like on purpose, entirely on purpose, small but flowing well and feeling so good.

Then take the MW3 map packs and despair. Don't know Ghosts and AW MP maps well enough to really dissect them like that but MW3's the poopiest poo and Destiny's MP maps I don't rank high either, wishing they had gone more Halo with them, less "we recycled this from scrapped/DLC PvE material".

I'd buy a PS4 port of Quake 1. PS3 and Vita just got Duke 3D via PS+ and it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I really liked destiny, thought it was a good game, but I played until I had done all the content at level 20, and turned it off. I didn't (and don't) have the urge to go back and grind for better gear to take on more challenges.

I think if you quit before it feels like you are logging in just to do the daily events or w/e it's a good game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Oxxidation posted:

It's not great.

I don't like Destiny either but I literally cannot think of a game with better FPS gameplay. Destiny nailed it. Those who say 'it's not great' are in denial.
It's like driving a Ferrari and saying it's like a Clio.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrLonghair posted:

Multiplayer FPS map design took a helluva dive. Quake goddamn 1. Didn't it also have spawnpoints across all SP maps so you could reliably deathmatch every single one, that's what I remember from the lanparties. Not to mention its great MP maps that were so simple but so effective (yeah no memory of Duke3D despite the high school hours wasted in that). Quake 2, less of the same but absolutely great. Quake 3 far less of that same and instead arena-like on purpose, entirely on purpose, small but flowing well and feeling so good.

Then take the MW3 map packs and despair. Don't know Ghosts and AW MP maps well enough to really dissect them like that but MW3's the poopiest poo and Destiny's MP maps I don't rank high either, wishing they had gone more Halo with them, less "we recycled this from scrapped/DLC PvE material".

I'd buy a PS4 port of Quake 1. PS3 and Vita just got Duke 3D via PS+ and it's so good.

Quake 1's maps were so good that the level select start map is better than nearly any map I've played in the past decade.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't like Destiny either but I literally cannot think of a game with better FPS gameplay. Destiny nailed it. Those who say 'it's not great' are in denial.

It's not great. See: every PC FPS

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's like driving a Ferrari with 10mph limiter to make your commute longer.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's not great. See: every PC FPS

The old mouse and keyboard chestnut ey

The only decent FPS on PC is Doom and that doesn't even use much beyond arrow keys and spacebar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Keyboard and mouse is actually a very bad control scheme for shooters. It makes them too easy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't like Destiny either but I literally cannot think of a game with better FPS gameplay.

It's on a par with borderlands. I have hopes for Planetside, though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ratbert90 posted:

Hey guys, Assassins Creed Unity is actually pretty good, and the framerate outside of gigantic crowds isn't bad either. Except for engrams, gently caress those things. I am about to platinum it and I really enjoyed it. :shobon:

uh

I'm on the other end of the spectrum here and hate the game so cool for you I guess?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Takoluka posted:

How is Z2 Chaos? I'm looking forward to the Western release of Z.

If you check out the Live from Playstation app ever, there's usually one or two people streaming it. Just sort by game and scroll all the way to the bottom where the Japanese games are and look for a Z mixed in.

I had some Japanese guy playing ROTK Online in the background the other day for like an hour while I played Duke3D on Vita. It was, oddly soothing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wasn't talking about controls, anyway, more about gun-feel, mobility, and encounters. So, even on consoles: Metro has better FPS gameplay. Wolfenstein has better FPS gameplay. Hell, Goldeneye 64 had better FPS gameplay

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Far Cry 4 and even Wolfenstein managed to be at least interesting with the guns which is more than I could probably say for Destiny

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hell, Goldeneye 64 had better FPS gameplay

It really didn't.

Destiny is probably my favorite co-op MP game ever, though only because of the Raids. The general feel of Mass Effect 3 multi is better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the raids are garbage just hang out with your friends playing anything else.

StabMasterArson posted:

Far Cry 4 and even Wolfenstein managed to be at least interesting with the guns which is more than I could probably say for Destiny

but but far cry 4's guns have significant recoil and wolfenstein doesn't even snap to target when you go ads so how can you even compare them to baby's first shooter, destiny where the shooting feels so good (Because it is easy as pissing your pants)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolfenstein isn't very good.

It's like the textbook 7/10.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

lies. sounds like a homeschool textbook

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I honestly think it's a big step back from Halo in terms of combat mechanics and encounter design.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Honestly, FPSs need to have a huge, paradigm altering, thing happen for me to give half a poo poo about the genre. A constant stream of FPSs for 15 years has left the genre, at it's best, dull and derivative.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
What is the final size of ff14 when its fully installed on ps4?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Herr Direktor posted:

What is the final size of ff14 when its fully installed on ps4?

38.22 GB

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It's actually really good

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Jesus. Thank you, Couldn't find a straight answer anywhere.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

Keyboard and mouse is actually a very bad control scheme for shooters. It makes them too easy.

Please be real. LOL

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Please be real. LOL

I actually thought this was one of the Xbox threads because of how stupid the discussion was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yahtzee named Wolfenstein as his #2 GOTY. :stare:

I'll give it a "Gamestop rental".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I couldn't even muster up the power to play through the game on the separate path. I was also annoyed at all the loving times they make you use the cutting laser.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Herr Direktor posted:

Note that this seems to be mostly reserved space, the game itself is only a fraction of that, or at least the download is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

univbee posted:

Note that this seems to be mostly reserved space, the game itself is only a fraction of that, or at least the download is.
The initial download is under 10GB I think, but then there's a pretty substantial patching process.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
My HDMI port on my HDTV just died. I tested my PS4 on a roomates tv and it is fine. I also tested my Xbone.

gently caress :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

homeless snail posted:

The initial download is under 10GB I think, but then there's a pretty substantial patching process.

Right, it's just I think the game is designed to peak with 39 gigs of space to work with currently (although I'm sure they'll expand if needed), my point was more that it's not a 39 gig download (which tends to be what puts people off).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

precision posted:

Yahtzee named Wolfenstein as his #2 GOTY. :stare:

I'll give it a "Gamestop rental".

Wolfenstein is the best game I played this year, although it was real close with Shadows of Mordor.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I dig the way that PSNow games are integrated into the dashboard:

I played ICO for a bit and was reasonably impressed. Even on my relatively slow download (10mb/s) it performed reasonably well. I'm not sure there's enough content for me to pay $20/mo (or even $15/mo), but if I was a person who had never owned a PS3 it might be worth it.

I don't know why, but I sort of assumed it would pick up my save files thar were uploaded from the PS3. Oh well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Failboattootoot posted:

Wolfenstein is the best game I played this year, although it was real close with Shadows of Mordor.

Funny, that was his #1.

I don't know what the best game I played this year was. Probably Inquisition, boringly enough. Or Ultimate Edition Tomb Raider or TLOU Remastered. Goddamn TLOU Remastered is so good.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Everyone should buy Wolfenstein so Bethesda green lights more from that Dev studio, whatever that ends up being. It's such a good game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd kind of like to see them take a crack at Duke Nukem.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ya, too bad Randy pitchfork doesn't have enough taste to do something as obvious and brilliant as that

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I'd kind of like to see them take a crack at Duke Nukem.

Duke Nukem with Wolfensteins surprisingly well told and progressive story would certainly be an interesting thing to see.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

EC posted:

I dig the way that PSNow games are integrated into the dashboard:

I played ICO for a bit and was reasonably impressed. Even on my relatively slow download (10mb/s) it performed reasonably well. I'm not sure there's enough content for me to pay $20/mo (or even $15/mo), but if I was a person who had never owned a PS3 it might be worth it.

I don't know why, but I sort of assumed it would pick up my save files thar were uploaded from the PS3. Oh well.

You might want to mind your real name there dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Herr Direktor posted:

It's cool. I actually had the game up already, so it was a matter of pressing the PS button and checking the file's info. :shobon:

• Locked thread