Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mpyro posted:

Can anyone recommend some Android/Cell phone rpgs? I notice Kemco has a lot are any of those worth playing? Do not want to play the Final Fantasy games again, same with Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

There is this fun little RPG/Puzzle game called Terra Battle by Mistwalker. It isn't the deepest game ever but it gets the job done if you want to kill ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

isn't sword art online vita only?

anyway Tactics Ogre, Trails in the Sky, Persona 3 and Growlanser are probably the PSP games I would recommend if asked, which I was.

Technically he can play it on PSP but it'll be in Japanese.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Technically he can play it on PSP but it'll be in Japanese.

well it's probably about as comprehensible either way

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Cake Attack posted:

well it's probably about as comprehensible either way

There is a partial translated patch out, plus I don't own a Vita.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mpyro posted:

I notice Kemco has a lot are any of those worth playing?

No.

The reason why is in bold.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

U-DO Burger posted:

Are any of those good on Android?

I've been playing a little DQ3 on my Nexus 4 and it's pretty good. Occasionally the music skips for .1s or so, but that aside it's fine. Shame it lacks the enemy animations the GBC version had though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like how you can be evil at the end in growlanser II, and i like to imagine the entire party just goes oh gently caress when hans joins you too

also there's a guy in the credits I've never even seen before, wth

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey thanks to whomever convinced me to get Trails in the Sky. I'm not past the prologue yet but the combat seems fun enough and I'm digging all of the dialogue. Some of the monsters are brutal though, doing 45 damage per attack from afar when my two characters have like 130 hp. Battles with 5+ enemies are pretty much run away or use a consumable scenarios.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, I actually prefer this type of encounter system, where instead of a giant HP tank that you only need to restore ~around the time you get to a rest location, you have a good amount of HP to get you through a battle if you do the right stuff and don't dick around too much. But in the good ones of that sort, you usually get your HP restored at the end of the fight. It lets them balance encounters beyond just the dungeon boss. It's a weird step backwards in game design IMO to go back to the older style of having to restore your health all the time in a kind of fiddly manner (though I bet some folks really like the inventory management aspect). Seems like it's going to be a really fun game when I get a chance to play more of it, though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing Citizens of Earth lately, and it's a pretty fun little RPG. Very Earthbound-ish. You play as the Vice President of the world, but you don't actually fight in battles, instead you get a team of 3 (out of 40 potential team members you can recruit) to do the fighting for you, turn-based style.

It's got that sort of low-key feeling (so far) that I really enjoy from the first half of Earthbound, where the enemies you fight are protestors, bugs in the forest, and crabs wearing traffic cones. And then you stop an evil mechanical cappucino monster, and the coffee store launches into space.

Plus each of the team members have their own battle quips, their own abilities, and their own talents: for example, the Yoga Instructor (they don't have names unless you give one to them, just job titles) can rearrange your stats, the Cop can give you missions to fight powerful enemies, the Conspiracy Guy can analyze enemy stats into an almanac, and Brother works for FedUPS and can sell you stuff anywhere, to name a few. There are a lot.

Like I said, very Earthbound-ish in more ways than one. They reference a youth with a cracked bat going around beating up crows, your sibling works for a delivery company, enemies wander around the field and will crowd towards you when you get in a battle, and battles can be instantly won when you walk into weaker enemies.

I'm quite enjoying it thus far, it's got a lot of little things that I'm having fun with.

I'll be interested to check this out when it's released in the US, though to be honest, I actually really don't care for the art. I feel like this is a consistent problem with games that refer directly to Earthbound as a source of inspiration though-- for me, at least, Earthbound's charm came about equally from the gameplay/story and the aesthetic. Its visual look fit the mood and gameplay so well, in a way that none of the games that its inspired have managed to recapture.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cake Attack posted:

I like how you can be evil at the end in growlanser II, and i like to imagine the entire party just goes oh gently caress when hans joins you too

also there's a guy in the credits I've never even seen before, wth

This guy?

He only joins in the time tower if you don't have Lyell. He's basically a substitute character. He doesn't do anything meaningful.

Likewise the wolf will only join you if Arieta does not.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah brett's my bro, I guess Lyell is the mystery man

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya, Lyell is from Growlanser 1 I think? He's just a secrety characte and the token bishie

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So uhh.. couldn't you just emulate snes or whatever and play your Dragon Quests that way? I dunno what these ports offer other than warm fuzzies cause you threw cash in Squenix's empty coffer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mpyro posted:

Can anyone recommend some Android/Cell phone rpgs? I notice Kemco has a lot are any of those worth playing? Do not want to play the Final Fantasy games again, same with Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Not really into Strategy types.

Also just got a PSP and no idea what to play, besides wanting to play Sword Art Online.

Thanks.

There are maybe one or two Kemco rpgs worth playing. Almost all of Kemco's games are done by third-parties and then localized by Kemco, so the quality varies massively. Kemco also lets the developers put in lots of cash shop poo poo, which means some of the games have huge chunks missing so they can resell them to the end-user.

The best one, and the only one I'd outright recommend to people, is SILVER NORNIR, which has a neat turn-based battle system and some nice sprite-work, even if it reuses music a lot. I think the Silver Nornir devs have done a few other games since, but I haven't played those.

I've also heard Band of Monsters is neat, and that one's free at the moment, but I haven't played it either.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Million Ghosts posted:

So uhh.. couldn't you just emulate snes or whatever and play your Dragon Quests that way? I dunno what these ports offer other than warm fuzzies cause you threw cash in Squenix's empty coffer.

1. Price - DS DQ carts are pricey (except for IX). Not sure about SNES, but can't imagine them being cheap. I grabbed most DS games on the cheap, but if buying right now then $15 for DQ IV Android Port is a lot better then $40-50+ for DQ IV DS cart.
2. Controls are adjusted for touch on ports, otherwise you would want to have an external controller for emulator. That's an extra thing to carry. Although some of Square's touch controls are just plain bad (hey FFVI).
3. DQ8 - can't play PS2 through emulator on mobile.
4. Battery life - might be better on ports vs emulator. I normally either carry an extra battery or use extended when i am going to play some games on the phone.

That said, emulation on Android works pretty well for gens before Wii/PS2/Dreamcast (not sure about DC). I can run all my backed up carts well with a Note 3 through an external controller (Moga). In particular I've tried DS, GBA and SNES. If you have DS carts for Dragon Quest, they run great as long as you can adjust to split screen vs dual. This definitely beats having to drag 3DS XL around.

Hmm... PSP is supposed to work fairly well as well, but I've never tried. I am not sure how to rip UMDs without a PSP and I got rid of mine a long time ago (I am sure Google can help).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only way to rip UMDs without a PSP is :filez: sites.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

dis astranagant posted:

The only way to rip UMDs without a PSP is :filez: sites.

Figures. Well, used PSP can't be too expensive now days I would think considering you can pretty much get a used Vita for $100-120.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you're going to get a new one I'd do it soon, because available stock is finally getting sparse. Once you do, custom firmware + PSP Filer gets you your images. (You can also usually do it straight from custom firmware, but it drops the final sector of the image, and since that sector matters for even one game it can't be used as a reliable method.)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Vita and psp are also smiled upon by Nihon and thus very worthy for any true jRPG fan.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I picked up Wild ARMs XF again and started a new game after burning out somewhere past the half-way mark the last time. How are exp multipliers determined? I haven't been grinding at all and yet I'm several levels higher than most enemies, while Clarissa is usually one or two levels higher than bosses.

Generics' stats can get god drat silly. I thought their stats were fixed-sum, but then I started rolling over and over just to see what I could get and ended up with a monster who has jacked-up stats in every area, no significant elemental weaknesses, and Clarissa-level RFX.

Cake Attack posted:

nah brett's my bro, I guess Lyell is the mystery man

The secret characters have some really obtuse and involved requirements for recruitment; I played through the game several times and I don't think I ever picked up Lyell. Have you played the Wolfgang path yet? It's pretty neat.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Puns. Lots of puns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah if you have a PSP then get class of heroes 2 if you are into wizardry clones

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

The only good versions of DQ1-3 are on the GBC. I haven't played the mobile ports but if DQ3 has all the improvements of the GBC version with better graphics then that's the definitive way to play it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

corn in the bible posted:

Oh yeah if you have a PSP then get class of heroes 2 if you are into wizardry clones
Really? I play a lot of dungeon crawlers and I've always written this series off after the first one. It was atrocious.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Really? I play a lot of dungeon crawlers and I've always written this series off after the first one. It was atrocious.

It is improved, though Elminage is better.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Class of Heroes is just kind of mediocre. I've heard that the series gets better with CoH3 but I couldn't say. If one were really dead set on playing CoH2 I think it'd be better to wait for CoH2g for the PS3 to his PSN this month or next.

Elminage Original is such a good game and it blows my mind how Gothic on PC just abandoned so much that made it fun to play. Unchained Blades is another that I really enjoyed, though it's a bit on the easy side.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
FYI, Shadowrun Hong Kong kickstarter is up!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've been playing a little DQ3 on my Nexus 4 and it's pretty good. Occasionally the music skips for .1s or so, but that aside it's fine. Shame it lacks the enemy animations the GBC version had though.

DQ3 is the only one I haven't played yet, so if those are the only problems then I'll probably snag that.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Apparently, Brandish: The Dark Revenant is out. I'll probably get a copy of it sometime and compare it with the SNES version.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 14, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just started Shadow Hearts 3 and am about to enter the Grand Canyon. Are there any permanently missable things, or can I just do whatever until I feel like looking at a guide to pick things up later? Also, the boss that you face right after getting Frank (who is great by the way) was a a bit of a slog for me. Is that normal, or is he supposed to be pretty quick? I'm guessing it's because I'm still getting used to the ring timings and dropped my combo a few times.

Something that was bothering me, did they have to give Shania that pervy magical girl transformation? I'm pretty sure what I saw of 1 and 2 didn't involve Yuri having his clothes come off every time he transformed. At least you can turn it off.

Erg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 13, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I beat Ys Origin with Yunica's story. I have to say the game really grew on me. I'm currently playing Toel's story. I find it odd how the cutscenes are a bit different when Toel and Yunica meet.

Is Hugo's story mandatory? I originally wanted to play as him but everyone says he is really boring.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Not really, it's just kind of an alternate version of Yunica's. Toal's is the closest thing to a true or canon route so you can just do that

or just play as Hugo, he's not that bad and also has corny romance

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Toal's playthrough is actually pretty different with a mostly new set of bosses and the True Final Boss Fight, Huge is just more of Yunica's with his gimpy moveset.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A true final boss huh. That explains why I felt that Yunica's final boss battle was a bit of a let down. Way too easy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sony is doing a 20th anniversary sale. Among the things discounted are basically every digital version of Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Dragon Age Origins, Disgaea 4, FF4 Complete Collection (I don't know when this dropped on PSN but this is the definitive FF4 buy buy buy), Persona 4 Golden, Persona 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre, Legend of Heroes, and Ys Felghana.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Erg posted:

I just started Shadow Hearts 3 and am about to enter the Grand Canyon. Are there any permanently missable things, or can I just do whatever until I feel like looking at a guide to pick things up later? Also, the boss that you face right after getting Frank (who is great by the way) was a a bit of a slog for me. Is that normal, or is he supposed to be pretty quick? I'm guessing it's because I'm still getting used to the ring timings and dropped my combo a few times.

Something that was bothering me, did they have to give Shania that pervy magical girl transformation? I'm pretty sure what I saw of 1 and 2 didn't involve Yuri having his clothes come off every time he transformed. At least you can turn it off.

There's a bit of stuff with the Snap cards that's missable, and as with Covenant there's an accessory that requires you to have a certain Ring Perfect and Ring Clear rate (75% and 95% here).

I'm at about the same point in the game as you and, despite being pretty good at hitting rings, I'm only at a 68% perfect rate :v: I blame Natan's stupid attack ring.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Toal's playthrough is very enjoyable. It complements Yunica's perfectly. That said I notice that the bosses are a lot easier. I no longer have to grind before them. Is this because it is easier to play with Toal or that the :gitgud: advice rings true?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you've beat the game once, you're probably just better i'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also I kinda beat growlanser II

pcsx2 crashed during the wolfgang path and destroyed my save states and regular saves are broken so i had nothing and just read the lp

it's good stuff and it sucks that they don't make growlanser games anymore, but holy poo poo is there a series in existence that makes it easier to miss cool things? like Tales of has terrible sidequest requirements, but growlanser makes you jump through invisible hoops to recruit characters or to fill out plot point. it is, imo, annoying