Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Tried the PS Now trial. A PSN connection test puts me at 44.2 Mbps for download speed and I'm on the east coast, so the it should be running pretty well (right?) The input lag is still very noticeable, though. It also seems like it doesn't always pick up my inputs if I push too lightly on the face buttons, or if I do multiple inputs too quickly. I tried Sonic Generations and it was playable, but not ideal. It's a fun novelty but unless they can make this service more compelling (more games, lower price, available on PC/Mac and iPad, etc) I'm not sure how successful it will be. I feel like they should focus more on remote play, and getting that to run on as many devices as possible.

EC posted:

I dig the way that PSNow games are integrated into the dashboard:

I played ICO for a bit and was reasonably impressed. Even on my relatively slow download (10mb/s) it performed reasonably well. I'm not sure there's enough content for me to pay $20/mo (or even $15/mo), but if I was a person who had never owned a PS3 it might be worth it.

I don't know why, but I sort of assumed it would pick up my save files thar were uploaded from the PS3. Oh well.

You can access the PS3 cloud saves from the fake XMB while PS Now is running. I had God of War HD save data, so when it didn't auto-download I checked and found the save data section and my GoW save data wasn't there. Only 3 or 4 of my most recent PS3 games had save data in the cloud, which is probably my fault, but it IS there. So I'm sure you can at least download it.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wolfenstein loving owned and I loved everything outside of the in-between helping quests

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

Hey guys, Assassins Creed Unity is actually pretty good, and the framerate outside of gigantic crowds isn't bad either. Except for engrams, gently caress those things. I am about to platinum it and I really enjoyed it. :shobon:
I want to like it because I loved AC4 but there's a lot of things dragging it down for me. The controls feel slow and clunky in a way that Black Flag did not, especially in combat where you now apparently get killed in three hits. As cool as having interiors seemed at first in practice it just slows you down as you look for a window which also makes grabbing collectables too much of a hassle to bother. The new cover and stealth mechanics should have been great in theory but in practice they're not as satisfying as skulking around in the bushes was in Black Flag.

I guess I need to figure out which of Ubisoft's many studios were the primary Black Flag developers and wait until their turn comes around again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish Black Flag was on PSNow because I don't really feel like buying it, but I kinda know I'd love it. :\

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Aphrodite posted:

Wolfenstein isn't very good.

It's like the textbook 7/10.

I have to agree. Bland as gently caress and i deeply regret buying it at launch. It was a game from 2006 with (slightly) better graphics.

The praise it gets is frankly bewildering but it came out when there was literally nothing else new released for months so that must be it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

precision posted:

I wish Black Flag was on PSNow because I don't really feel like buying it, but I kinda know I'd love it. :\

Buying it for ps4 would almost definitely be cheaper lol

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

precision posted:

It's like $15 used on Amazon, do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfenstein isn't bad but the praise it gets does kind of bewilder me. A game that constantly takes my weapons away to force me into a specific playstyle always gets on my bad side thought.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So PSNow crashed PSN?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bass Bottles posted:

You can access the PS3 cloud saves from the fake XMB while PS Now is running. I had God of War HD save data, so when it didn't auto-download I checked and found the save data section and my GoW save data wasn't there. Only 3 or 4 of my most recent PS3 games had save data in the cloud, which is probably my fault, but it IS there. So I'm sure you can at least download it.

Oh nice, I didn't even think about trying that.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

spudsbuckley posted:

The praise it gets is frankly bewildering but it came out when there was literally nothing else new released for months so that must be it.
Mmmm, no, I think Wolfenstein is just a good-rear end game, honestly. The shooting is just super satisfying and the story and characters are pretty great too.

I mean, it is basically a Starbreeze shooter in everything but name, so that may have something to do with it too.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

spudsbuckley posted:

I have to agree. Bland as gently caress and i deeply regret buying it at launch. It was a game from 2006 with (slightly) better graphics.

I can see how you would think it's bland. The story proceeds exactly as expected, the guns and enemy design are business as usual, and the level design definitely suffers from a case of the grey and browns. Outside of how maybe you acquire perks there wasn't anything new in Wolfenstein. None of this mattered to me though. The by the book story is told well and was significantly bolstered by a drat good cast of characters, some seriously excellent moments and some interesting world-building stuff like the newspaper clipping about The Beatles. The gameplay combined everything I liked about old school 90's shooters and modern shooters melded with great level design that encouraged exploration. I switched seamlessly from stealth to meticulous shooting, to dual wielded shotgun panic'd run and gun and all of these approaches felt really fun to me.

It was just a good-rear end game. The only meta advantage it had was that I had zero expectations for it. I bought it on a lark when it hadn't been on my radar at all and it just blew me away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PSN Now appears to have brought down PSN. I think we all knew this would happen though lol.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I played pretty much every big game that came out on PS4 last year, and none were anywhere near as good as Wolfenstein, for me. I just bought into the world and those great characters; I hated those loving Nazis and just had a tremendous amount of old fashioned fun killing them. My favourite single-player shooter since, probably, Bioshock.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Wolfenstein would be better if it had Multiplayer

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Just release HD enemy territory for PS4 and I'll pay whatever you want.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Herr Direktor posted:

I'll pay double whatever they want.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Division chat was a couple of pages ago, but the thing that made me go from thinking it looked amazing to not giving a gently caress about it was that video showing off the engine and how literally every asset they showed was in the gameplay demo and every screenshot. The more I watched and read about it the more it seemed like a non-game and the gameplay demo they showed was some sort of pie in the sky idea for how the game might turn out. between that and the blatant dishonestly in the AC: Unity marketing I'll just call it a pleasant surprise if that game isn't either poo poo or just really dull.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Herr Direktor posted:

The Quake Enemy Territory wasn't that great, but the Wolfenstein one was among my most-played games of all time.

"I'M A COVERT OPS"

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Can you get trophies in the ps now free trail?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The Quake Enemy Territory wasn't that great, but the Wolfenstein one was among my most-played games of all time.

"I'M A COVERT OPS"

Hallo!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm playing that Warhammer 40k game right now and I honestly can't tell its being streamed. I have 150mbp/sec internet though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WolfET consumed the majority of my summer of 2003. I only played a little bit of Quake Wars but it wasn't anywhere close to being as fun.

If WolfET HD was released on consoles, I'd easily be able to sink at least a few hundred hours into it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Nobody can get on PS Now? It seems to be working for me right now. Played some Earth Defense Force and Shadow of the Colossus. Both worked great (I do have 100mb/s internet though) with only a slight hiccup during SotC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Herr Direktor posted:

Can you get trophies in the ps now free trail?

Yes, just earned one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

can i use the free trial months from now if i wait to try the service or will it expire at some point?

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yes, just earned one.

Thank you sir.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I didn't a post covering it. How are you guys accessing this free month?

Oh hey the second I posted that a new screen loaded and it's right there. I am dumb!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I didn't a post covering it. How are you guys accessing this free month?

It's actually only one week. You get it once you pick out your first game.

I am trying to play Earth Defense Force 2025 now and it's not wanting to load.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i was play El Shaddai on PSNow just like 20 minutes ago. I don't even have BLAZING FAST INTERNET (speed test says 14 meg down, 4 meg up) and I didn't notice any input lag and only very occasional frame stuttering.

If they add a bunch more games I'm seriously tempted to do 3 months after the free trial, but would probably run out of games and wait until they add a ton more to re-up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The price point isn't terrible, but yeah really not worth it with the current selection. I think I have most of the good stuff for free through PS+ or have played it because it's a game everyone has played. I guess current PS3 owners aren't their main target market though. It would probably take practically the entire catalog to keep me subscribing.

I'm impressed by the quality so far though. My internet connection isn't anything special and it looks great so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also dumb that subscribing doesn't actually get you access to all the games, unless that's a mistake, because I noticed that I can't play Catherine without "renting" it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's only certain games which makes calling it "unlimited" kind of misleading. I guess they are just referring to the select games but meh that's pretty lame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah it's only certain games which makes calling it "unlimited" kind of misleading. I guess they are just referring to the select games but meh that's pretty lame.

Yuck, glad I know about this now. As far as the streaming goes, this is perfect. I hope Sony can do this for PS4 games while you are downloading the full thing to your hard drive. I really like what I see so far, the selection of games just needs to be better.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I said come in! posted:

Yuck, glad I know about this now. As far as the streaming goes, this is perfect. I hope Sony can do this for PS4 games while you are downloading the full thing to your hard drive. I really like what I see so far, the selection of games just needs to be better.

....wouldn't that just make the download and the stream that you're playing both run slower, kind of defeating the purpose of both?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

....wouldn't that just make the download and the stream that you're playing both run slower, kind of defeating the purpose of both?

That's true, unless your internet was crazy fast. I dunno, it's a neat idea but i'm not sure about the logistics behind making it work.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The three games I've tried so far have all worked pretty flawlessly. I'm honestly impressed.

(EDF, SotC, and ICO)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Headset chat:

I thought Turtle Beach's tech support was supposed to be good or something? I'm still waiting on them to give me any advice on why my new Stealth 500P headphones have a slight echo when connected via the optical cable. Is this a thing that happens with headsets connected via optical in general or something?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

EC posted:

The three games I've tried so far have all worked pretty flawlessly. I'm honestly impressed.

(EDF, SotC, and ICO)

These are also the best games on there

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

How is PS Now running for people right now? It's definitely being a lot laggier for me now than it was earlier, but I'm also trying split screen EDF so I'm not sure if that's part of it.

I'm wondering if the servers are just being hammered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this a thing that happens with headsets connected via optical in general or something?

Seems unlikely. Optical is digital. Maybe a lovely DAC in the middle somewhere?

• Locked thread