Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nifty posted:

In my job we do them for different clients about every other week. They get boring quick.

I'm sure they do. Counts over the holidays are annoying because they crippled my New Years plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm sure they do. Counts over the holidays are annoying because they crippled my New Years plans.

Should have gone into tax instead.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

Should have gone into tax instead.

What's up, tax bro? :hfive:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Is there a thread discussing what the best CPA exam prep programs are now? I've been in Accounting for close to six years now, two public and four private. Over the course of my public career I neglected to get my CPA wrapped up and just signed on with a client after their audit because gently caress public accounting, but I'd like to get the letters after my name now. What are my options? I have a lapsed Becker program but can't log in or use the disk they sent, but they said they'd "generously" offer me a reduced rate of 1500 for the new materials. Anyway, I'd like to look over some other stuff. thanks guys

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
This is the thread. Does your private firm have a CPA Supervisor? The firm I work for kind of has a CPA program setup, being we have a sizable internal audit and corporate finance department. They pay for Becker and test fees and give time off and a bonus when the exams are all passes.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Nah, we don't. I work for a small Credit Union now, which has six employees. I've discussed with the board of the Credit Union and my boss about paying for my CPA exams and fees and they seem receptive to that, but there is obviously no set program.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Texibus posted:

Nah, we don't. I work for a small Credit Union now, which has six employees. I've discussed with the board of the Credit Union and my boss about paying for my CPA exams and fees and they seem receptive to that, but there is obviously no set program.
Do you have a CPA employed by the CU, who can obtain their supervisor license? If not, test passing won't result in you becoming a CPA. Also, maybe not all states have supervisory requirements, but I doubt that. OR/CA/WA all do, I haven't looked outside of the states I may reside in later.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I have all the requirements because of the two years at public accounting firms. Unless something has dramatically changed, hours worked in industry is acceptable or if you don't have public experience you can have a CPA verify that you can perform functions like creating financial statements here in Michigan. 2 1/2 years ago this was still true. AND if it comes down to need my old boss can verify all experience stuff.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Texibus posted:

I have all the requirements because of the two years at public accounting firms. Unless something has dramatically changed, hours worked in industry is acceptable or if you don't have public experience you can have a CPA verify that you can perform functions like creating financial statements here in Michigan. 2 1/2 years ago this was still true. AND if it comes down to need my old boss can verify all experience stuff.

I'm almost certain you have to complete the work requirements AFTER passing the exam. I'm sure it varies state by state and couldn't find anything for Michigan specifically, but you may want to look into it. Would be pretty traumatic to spend all that time and money passing the exam just to find out you don't actually meet the requirements.

A clip from the NJ CPA FAQ:

quote:

I have been working in accounting and going to school part time. I will finally be graduating and plan to sit for the exam in January. Can I use the experience in my current job as my work experience?

Unfortunately, no. Your work experience for your CPA license needs to be completed after you get your bachelors degree.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_61343_35414_60647_35451-238412--,00.html

I've had my bachelors over the course of those six years, and it doesn't say anything about the CPA certification exam. And I'm like 90% certain that I meet every requirement aside from having the four sections passed of the exam.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 13, 2015

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Bugamol posted:

I'm almost certain you have to complete the work requirements AFTER passing the exam. I'm sure it varies state by state and couldn't find anything for Michigan specifically, but you may want to look into it. Would be pretty traumatic to spend all that time and money passing the exam just to find out you don't actually meet the requirements.

A clip from the NJ CPA FAQ:

Doesn't that read that you just need the work experience after your bachelors, and not after completing the exam or am I misreading it?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Texibus posted:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_61343_35414_60647_35451-238412--,00.html

I've had my bachelors over the course of those six years, and it doesn't say anything about the CPA certification exam. And I'm like 90% certain that I meet every requirement aside from having the four sections passed of the exam.

You're right. You only need 1 year of general accounting experience under a CPA.

quote:

1-year or 2,000 hours of general accounting experience in Public Accounting, Governmental Accounting, or Private Industry supervised by a CPA in good standing.

AND

You must obtain experience performing at least one compilation, review, or audit.

http://www.myaccountingcourse.com/cpa/license-michigan

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

Doesn't that read that you just need the work experience after your bachelors, and not after completing the exam or am I misreading it?

You're probably right. I don't know why I've always been under the misconception that CPA work experience requirements needed to come after passing the exam. Maybe it's a CA thing? Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Bugamol posted:

You're probably right. I don't know why I've always been under the misconception that CPA work experience requirements needed to come after passing the exam. Maybe it's a CA thing? Or maybe I'm just crazy.

You just crazy, boo :)

Anyway, which materials did you recent CPA bros use? I'm seeing Rogers and Wiley pop up a lot. I like lots of test questions and audio stuff is perfect because I listen can at my desk while working.

Also, I'm loving terrified of trying to do this again with my older, much lazier brain

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 13, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Texibus posted:

You just crazy, boo :)

Anyway, which materials did you recent CPA bros use? I'm seeing Rogers and Wiley pop up a lot. I like lots of test questions and audio stuff is perfect because I listen can at my desk while working.

Also, I'm loving terrified of trying to do this again with my older, much lazier brain

I'm in the same boat. Old (31), working FT, don't need a CPA, but want some letters behind the name. I'm thinking about Roger because apparently he makes lectures "entertaining."

As an aside, $1500 seems pretty reasonable for a prep course.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
If I find one with audio lectures and visual included that'll be the one I'll lean toward because I'm always listening to book on tapes and podcasts, so having that as the ambient noise while I work will help. Also samsies on the the age, I'll be 30 in March. Maybe we can support group this poo poo YLLS style.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just got assigned to another state for busy season, hours maxed and with every other staff slot between staff and senior manager listed as 'to be filled'

RIP me.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
God speed man, don't miss a single thing about this time of year.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Texibus posted:

If I find one with audio lectures and visual included that'll be the one I'll lean toward because I'm always listening to book on tapes and podcasts, so having that as the ambient noise while I work will help. Also samsies on the the age, I'll be 30 in March. Maybe we can support group this poo poo YLLS style.

Yeager is very reasonable and this is probably :files: but they give you a usb thumbnail with all the videos and then just a wiley book for the textbook so you can split it with someone.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I've been eyeballing that one, but I like the whole active scoring thing that becker provided where you can answer the question then get the answer and also see your proficiency in each section.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Gleim is under a grand and you get A/V presentations with audio files, video lectures, extensive test bank, very dry but very to the point textbook, 18 months of access. All online, although you can pay for shipping for free copies of the textbooks.

I like it because it is no bullshit, straightfoward, and focused on doing lots of practice testing to find out weak areas.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
The only thing that turns me off is the limited time access, that poo poo is dumb.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Gleim helped me pass FAR and so far has been working well for AUD. I like having a ton of questions to answer. Its also nice getting answers with explanations for each question and being able to see my scores for everything. I'm only buying them one section at a time so the time limit for access doesn't matter to me since if I'm taking longer than 18 months to pass everything I have an entirely different problem.

I also like that its only a few hundred bucks per section compared to like Becker.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
What are the testing simulations like? Do they outline like the weaknesses you have so you know where to go back and study?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Good Citizen posted:

Just got assigned to another state for busy season, hours maxed and with every other staff slot between staff and senior manager listed as 'to be filled'

RIP me.

drat, that sucks. Someone threw you under the bus at the staffing meeting :(

Is it Houston? It's always Houston.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
I used Roger for my test prep. The entertaining part really only matters if you couldn't pay attention to the professor in college. He covers the material well and has a million anagrams. I recently graduated at 30 and took 3/4 of the exam over the summer after graduation. I left out BEC since I got two 74s and a 73 on my exams.

I'm terrible at accounting and if I can get that close then I can endorse his product.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Texibus posted:

What are the testing simulations like? Do they outline like the weaknesses you have so you know where to go back and study?

I haven't seen how any other study programs are setup so I can only talk about Gleim. But Gleim each test is broken down into 20 subunits which for the most part focus on one topic or group of similar subjects. The actual multiple choice and simulations function and look the same as the actual exam. It gives scores for each subunit, set of multiple choice questions, and simulations. It saves all your scores so you can track your progress or compare the subunits to see where your weak areas were. Personally for me with FAR it was really helpfully the last week before the exam being able to see exactly what my weakest subunits were and focusing on those.

The multiple choice bank is also pretty robust in my opinion. You can pick exactly what subunits you want to see questions from, how many questions to want to do, and what kind of questions (new ones, ones you've only ever gotten wrong, etc.). I tried the audio materials for FAR but it wasn't my learning style so I can't comment much. The video lectures have been helpful to me because they have given me a overview of each topic so I have something to start with and explain the kinds of things I should be thinking about by going through a few example questions. There is about an hour to an hour + a half of video stuff for each sub unit.

I learn by doing so Gleim is working for me so far because its mostly just doing a ton of questions over and over again. I could immediately see how I did after each set of questions, learn what I did wrong, and then try more. I sure as poo poo would not have passed FAR without it so I'm cool with gleim.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Thanks, that the way I'm leaning. Do they referral stuff? I'd be happy to throw you on there. How long are you studying between each test btw?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Texibus posted:

Thanks, that the way I'm leaning. Do they referral stuff? I'd be happy to throw you on there. How long are you studying between each test btw?

I'm not sure if they do referral stuff, if they do I haven't seen it. If you look around a little you can definitely find small discounts if you plan to get Gleim. I got 10% off both sections just by going through a different website first but I dont remember what the site was off the top of my head.

I studied for about 4 months for FAR. I could have done it faster if I had more time to devote to it but with work being busy and other things going on I only had 2-3 hours a day to study. AUD has been much quicker to study so I'm doing 3 months this time around and I'm pretty ahead of schedule already.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Does Gleim use a study planner too? It seems like those are pretty popular.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Texibus posted:

Does Gleim use a study planner too? It seems like those are pretty popular.

Yes. I put in my test date (or expected test date), any study blackout dates, and how much I expect to study each day of the week. Then it gives me a time table for when I should be done each section with the option to email me if I'm behind or if the section was a low scoring one.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Call Gleim Publications and see if they'll give you a discount, they have a lot that are difficult to find. Also, the one downside I really don't like about Gleim is that they are scaling back their customer service. Previously anyone could send in an inquiry about a question/SIM/outline, but now you need to pay $300 extra (vs. the $999 for the 4 sections) to get the videos and the ability to ask content questions.

I would buy the $999 version, not the $1299, the value add isn't really there for me. Just make sure whatever you have has test prep, there's ~2000 questions a section which is great for just bashing your head against the wall and learning to do problems.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Here's another question. For a similar price would it be wise just to re-up with Becker? because the course wasn't the issue it was my poo poo schedule and poor work ethic.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 14, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Texibus posted:

Here's another question. For a similar price would it be wise just to re-up with Becker? because the course wasn't the issue it was my poo poo schedule and poor work ethic.

I think Becker makes the tests pretty easy as long as you're willing to drop around 80 hours on each exam. No complaints.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I wanted to add another endorsement for Roger cpa review. It was able to keep my focus on studying during the summer and I passed bec back in October with an 83. I'm taking reg next week and I have a pretty good about it, although I've been doing tax for three years. It also helps that its half the price of Becker. My coworker has been studying with Becker for over two years and hasn't passed any sections yet

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I passed the CPA exam in one go using Bisk review books (and a Bisk review DVD set for FAR and a Wiley question/test bank CD that my then boss gave me), which cost about $120-$150 total for all 4 review books.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
So, I'll be starting the CA program this year (finally), but I noticed they run a master class as well.

What's the verdict on these extra things on top of the basic CA units? Absolutely necessary, could go without or somewhere in between? Keeping in mind that it'd be my first unit, so it might be for the best... still, it is a lot of :homebrew:

Three of Clubs
Dec 7, 2004
really truly?

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

So, I'll be starting the CA program this year (finally), but I noticed they run a master class as well.

What's the verdict on these extra things on top of the basic CA units? Absolutely necessary, could go without or somewhere in between? Keeping in mind that it'd be my first unit, so it might be for the best... still, it is a lot of :homebrew:

I did support classes with Kaplan. I found it worthwhile because it forced me to keep up to date with the material, my employer paid for it, and I learn well in classes. I didn't go with the masterclass run by the institute because I felt they wouldn't give any exam tips. In my experience people associated with the institute don't like to give tips for the exams.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
See you all in 3 months:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm currently using Gleim to study for the CMA, and I've been happy with it. The videos are a good topic overview, the text is to the point, and the main focus is on practice problems. You can select what units you want your practice test to be made up from, and your post test review explains why each incorrect answer is wrong, and also provides you with links to the associated sections in the text for each question which is extremely helpful.

From reading a few other posts it sounds like their CPA system is the same. If you're like me and you learn from loving up problems and finding out where you went wrong you'll like Gleim.