Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jabarto posted:

Whenever I hear "depth of field" I think of Morrowind and MSGO's implementation of it. All it did was blur the everloving poo poo out of anything more than two inches to either side of what you were focusing on and made the game almost unplayable until I turned it off. I'm guessing it's better in ENB?

Here's a decent demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmeDN1ba1dA

Most of the time when you're running around, your eyes are focused at a mid point and have a pretty huge depth of field so there's virtually no blur (except extreme distances, which looks really beautiful) but then if you look at anything close like a pillar, the "eye" refocuses and things nearby get blurry too. Its pretty tastefully done.

It gives the whole game a better sense of depth and realism, almost like playing in VR.

Man I wish Skyrim worked better with my Rift DK2, but it just wasn't designed for it :smith:

Woolie Wool posted:

I loving hate depth of field and disable it when I install ENB, especially since I use third person so the camera focuses on the back of my character's head and I can't see a goddamn thing.

I'd love to figure out how to get Kountervibe's anamorphic flares for magic and other bright light sources in Seasons of Skyrim. Sure they're not :airquote:REALISTIC:airquote: but they make Destruction magic and offensive shouts look very impressive and powerful.

Yeah I mostly play in first person, there could be issues with third person. I think the version of ENB i'm using looks okay in 3rd though... I need to test it again to be sure.

That video above goes to 3rd person a few times and looks alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Woolie Wool posted:

I loving hate depth of field and disable it when I install ENB, especially since I use third person so the camera focuses on the back of my character's head and I can't see a goddamn thing.
Wait, you mean you're trying to actually play the game, not just get the most majestic screenshots possible?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
why would anyone play skyrim its such a poo poo game

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Since we are talking about updating the OP, here is my 2 cents.

There are a lot of good recommendations for mods to be added to the OP, but I think what the OP really needs is a very detailed and comprehensive step by step guide on how to install vanilla Skyrim + all DLC and then everything that one can do in order to optimize the game. Everything from the SKSE fix, making sure vsync is turned on in your .ini files so that objects don't fly around everywhere, unofficial patches, optimizing the vanilla textures, using TES5Edit, etc.

There is a lot of good advice out there, a lot of bad advice, and a lot of outdated advice but there is nothing which is truly comprehensive imo. Maybe this is something that we can collaborate on a bit in this thread in order to come up with a good tutorial for people and then recommend that everyone do it before installing other mods?

Edit: Also, Texture Pack Combiner is outdated. Skyrim Mod Combiner is the successor.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 13, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

There are a lot of good recommendations for mods to be added to the OP, but I think what the OP really needs is a very detailed and comprehensive step by step guide on how to install vanilla Skyrim + all DLC and then everything that one can do in order to optimize the game. Everything from the SKSE fix, making sure vsync is turned on in your .ini files so that objects don't fly around everywhere, unofficial patches, optimizing the vanilla textures, using TES5Edit, etc.

There is a lot of good advice out there, a lot of bad advice, and a lot of outdated advice but there is nothing which is truly comprehensive imo. Maybe this is something that we can collaborate on a bit in this thread in order to come up with a good tutorial for people and then recommend that everyone do it before installing other mods?

As someone who will probably install this game for the first time in the next month or two, I would definitely appreciate this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I thought STEP was a good, comprehensive guide, albeit one focused on a better vanilla experience.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mod combiner looks very nice too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Entropic posted:

Wait, you mean you're trying to actually play the game, not just get the most majestic screenshots possible?

Fantasy Photographer Simulator 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

I thought STEP was a good, comprehensive guide, albeit one focused on a better vanilla experience.

The last time I looked at the STEP guide I found it useful but incomplete. I just checked out their homepage on Nexus and it sounds like more updates have been added recently with more coming in STEP 2.3.0. This might be good enough to just add a link for in the OP and call it a day, but I cannot say for certain having not gone through it in detail since the latest updates.

Edit: Nexus link to STEP

Edit 2: Glancing through the latest STEP guide, I didn't even see them mention the SKSE memory fix as a formal "must have". I either missed it or STEP is still missing stuff that I would include in a more comprehensive guide. I get that STEP centers around the vanilla experience but if people are coming to this thread it is because they want to mod skyrim in which case the memory fix is highly recommended even if one is not installing anything that needs SKSE.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 13, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zaphod42 posted:

Fantasy Photographer Simulator 2015

You don't get the true screenshotting experience until you replace the screenshot feature of the game with a collection of mods that make you grind lenses and craft your own camera and set up shutter speeds and apertures and ISO sensitivity. It's all Dwemer-tech so it's lore-friendly!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Xavier434 posted:

Edit 2: Glancing through the latest STEP guide, I didn't even see them mention the SKSE memory fix as a formal "must have". I either missed it or STEP is still missing stuff that I would include in a more comprehensive guide.

It does, but it's easy to miss. Every mod or thing it says to install can have "detailed instructions" linked in the notes. SKSE's got a link to this: http://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

It does, but it's easy to miss. Every mod or thing it says to install can have "detailed instructions" linked in the notes. SKSE's got a link to this: http://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

I see. So it's a bit buried. If there were just a guide with steps 1 through [insert arbitrary number here] then I think more people would have a much more stable Skyrim experience. With so much bad and outdated info out there it is really hard to know what to do and what not to do when trying to piece this stuff together. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

You don't get the true screenshotting experience until you replace the screenshot feature of the game with a collection of mods that make you grind lenses and craft your own camera and set up shutter speeds and apertures and ISO sensitivity. It's all Dwemer-tech so it's lore-friendly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_of_the_Discworld#Iconographs

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Xavier434 posted:

Edit: Also, Texture Pack Combiner is outdated. Skyrim Mod Combiner is the successor.

This would have been wonderful to have when I started in on this whole mess a short time ago, I've dealt with a lot of trial-and-error along the way. Troubleshooting is always a good way to learn about how things work and interact with each other but just starting out was extremely daunting. The gigantic lists in the first couple of posts were good sources of mods but a lot of how it all fits together was just me guessing at what should be happening, then trying different things when poo poo didn't work.

I super like the idea of a more comprehensive guide to getting started. I've never modded a game so extensively before so information about stuff like optimizing the game (which I have no idea about, the stuff mentioned in the quoted post is news to me) would be grand to have. Some kind of babby's first setup guide before the megalist of awesome mods is a really nice idea.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

I see. So it's a bit buried. If there were just a guide with steps 1 through [insert arbitrary number here] then I think more people would have a much more stable Skyrim experience. With so much bad and outdated info out there it is really hard to know what to do and what not to do when trying to piece this stuff together. :(

Yeah I agree it should be more prominent and explicit, something like this should not be tucked away behind "more detailed instructions." I'm just saying, it's not something they don't know about.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

There are a lot of good recommendations for mods to be added to the OP, but I think what the OP really needs is a very detailed and comprehensive step by step guide on how to install vanilla Skyrim + all DLC and then everything that one can do in order to optimize the game.

Agreed. It also might be handy to have a plain English version of how to get ENB up and running or at least a link to an existing walkthrough. It's a simple enough process, but I remember being a little stumped the first time I looked at the ENB site as his directions are nearly impossible to parse.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm going through Skyrim modding for the first time and using STEP. It's overwhelming but very easy and simple to follow, especially once I saw the detailed instructions.

I'm gone through the GEMS compilation and picked out the mods that I thought I'd like to use and now I have a queue of 220 mods. I've gone through this process before with Oblivion so I'm fairly familiar with it. It's mostly going to be installing poo poo through Mod Organizer, running LOOT, taking note of any messages I get, then creating a bashed patch to deal with any remaining incompatibilities through Wrye Bash, right? Am I missing something crucial?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kedo posted:

Agreed. It also might be handy to have a plain English version of how to get ENB up and running or at least a link to an existing walkthrough. It's a simple enough process, but I remember being a little stumped the first time I looked at the ENB site as his directions are nearly impossible to parse.

Download ENB for Skyrim -> Extract with winzip/winrar into Skyrim's folder next to the exe.

That sure was hard :downs:

The only trick is picking a preset, and youtube videos like this one make it pretty easy to compare them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZ1pII5188

I can't remember which I'm using right now, I'll try to check later when I'm not at work. (And I guess I could write up a detailed guide, but seriously its pretty easy, don't be intimidated)

Oh and I think you have to turn off Antialiasing, Anisotropic Filtering, and FXAA, because the mod already does them internally.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

I'm gone through the GEMS compilation and picked out the mods that I thought I'd like to use and now I have a queue of 220 mods. I've gone through this process before with Oblivion so I'm fairly familiar with it. It's mostly going to be installing poo poo through Mod Organizer, running LOOT, taking note of any messages I get, then creating a bashed patch to deal with any remaining incompatibilities through Wrye Bash, right? Am I missing something crucial?

From what I understand, Skyrim's Bashed Patch is nowhere near as powerful as Oblivion's. It does not resolve non-conflicting overrides, for example. You need to make a "Merged Patch" in TES5Edit for that, and even then there's a bunch of manual work to do: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Merging_Plugins#TES5Edit_Merge_Patch

The guy who made the Merge Plugins script is working on a script that, as far as I can tell, automates much of this: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2068934-mator-smash-a-tes5edit-script-by-matortheeternal-beta-testing/

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Does anyone know if there's a mod or console command or something to bust you back down to level 1, reset the scaling on the enemies but keep all your progression and stuff? I find that I get tired of a character not because I'm done with them, but the high level play isn't as interesting as that of a low level character, but it gets tiresome to keep making new dudes and running them through the same old questlines and dlc's for the ranks and perks and such.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is the Undeath mod still buggy or whatever? I remember checking the OP a long time ago and seeing the "wait for updates" recommendation, and it's still there.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Am I missing something crucial?

More mods=more problems. Even though you're experienced with Morrowind/Oblivion, and following instructions, it's easy to overdo it and find out your cocktail of mods is unstable 20 hours in. I like how STEP is written but I try and keep my modlist below 100.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I find modding Skyrim addictive so my attempt to set up a lean mod collection and stick with it went out the window after about two hours. Now I have over 200. :shepface:

It crashes occasionally and a couple of the stupid "immersion" mods stopped working but I deal with it. Solstheim is considerably more stable than the mainland, no surprise there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davoren posted:

Does anyone know if there's a mod or console command or something to bust you back down to level 1, reset the scaling on the enemies but keep all your progression and stuff? I find that I get tired of a character not because I'm done with them, but the high level play isn't as interesting as that of a low level character, but it gets tiresome to keep making new dudes and running them through the same old questlines and dlc's for the ranks and perks and such.

I punched "skyrim console commands" into google and this came up

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Console_Commands_%28Skyrim%29

player.setlevel 1

:rolleyes:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If that doesn't reduce all your stats and skills to their starting values it's not what he's talking about. Also unless it takes away your endgame gear you're going to have a completely insurmountable advantage over your opponents.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Whoa dude watch the attitude, we're here to help people, not make fun of them because they asked a legitimate question.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, I found some bat files and commands that set you back down, but there's not a lot of information about exactly what that entails, and I don't want to be a level 1 character when the world still thinks I'm 50+. The gear problem is easy, I just put that stuff away and start over. Thought I'd ask here because you dudes are generally very knowledgable about this stuff!

Edit: And there's always the fear that I break something and don't notice right away, so I end up overwriting my saves and scratching that character completely.

Thinking about it, I'm using sperg, so I could do the perk reset, then console remove the perk points, and change my health/magicka/stamina and level, but would the game actually go by that level from now on? Perhaps if I waited for a bunch of days...

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 14, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

From what I understand, Skyrim's Bashed Patch is nowhere near as powerful as Oblivion's. It does not resolve non-conflicting overrides, for example. You need to make a "Merged Patch" in TES5Edit for that, and even then there's a bunch of manual work to do: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Merging_Plugins#TES5Edit_Merge_Patch

The guy who made the Merge Plugins script is working on a script that, as far as I can tell, automates much of this: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2068934-mator-smash-a-tes5edit-script-by-matortheeternal-beta-testing/

Good to know. Where does Wrye Bash come in?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Davoren posted:

Yeah, I found some bat files and commands that set you back down, but there's not a lot of information about exactly what that entails, and I don't want to be a level 1 character when the world still thinks I'm 50+. The gear problem is easy, I just put that stuff away and start over. Thought I'd ask here because you dudes are generally very knowledgable about this stuff!

Edit: And there's always the fear that I break something and don't notice right away, so I end up overwriting my saves and scratching that character completely.

Thinking about it, I'm using sperg, so I could do the perk reset, then console remove the perk points, and change my health/magicka/stamina and level, but would the game actually go by that level from now on? Perhaps if I waited for a bunch of days...

I think there's a mod out there that let you retire characters who would then roam the world or whatever that might be your cup of tea.

I unfortunately don't remember enough about it to give you a name :(

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, the main thing I'm trying to achieve is to effectively have a new character, but one who doesn't have to climb to high hrothgar for the hundredth time, or go to the soul cairn again because whoops vampires are killing everything.

Edit: Yeah the more I look into this the more problems I anticipate, I think I'll look into spicing up the endgame rather than risk breaking something by trying to go backwards, thanks for your input guys!

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 14, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm looking to start doing all this for the first time, and I can definitely vote for an updated OP! I just know I'm going to get sucked down the mod hole and end up with like a hundred installed, so it'd be nice to know I at least have the basics down before hunting down mod incompatibilities, you know?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

Good to know. Where does Wrye Bash come in?

You can, obviously, use it as a mod manager. I did for a while before switching to Mod Organizer, from which I can still launch Wrye Bash when needed. You can (and probably should) still make a Bashed Patch, just for leveled list merging, absorbing the plugins of smaller mods, and its various game setting tweaks. Also, at some point for various reasons you may want to make a plugin get treated as a master file, Wrye Bash's ESM-ify Self function still gets used for that.

Actually, I am kinda curious how Wrye Bash decides what small plugins can be absorbed by a Bashed Patch, and whether I can make to absorb more.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

I think there's a mod out there that let you retire characters who would then roam the world or whatever that might be your cup of tea.

I unfortunately don't remember enough about it to give you a name :(

Familiar Faces. You can set them to wander the world, hang out in a certain location, be your follower, be marriageable, be a random NPC, be an enemy trying to kill you, whatever.

Maybe I should set my alt against my main. In one corner, a level 16 paladin. In the other corner, a level 30 warrior with shouts boosted to 220% by Thunderchild, all the Kyne's Champion perks, and a Fire Breath that can very nearly one-shot a giant. Sounds fair enough. :v:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Davoren posted:

Yeah, the main thing I'm trying to achieve is to effectively have a new character, but one who doesn't have to climb to high hrothgar for the hundredth time, or go to the soul cairn again because whoops vampires are killing everything.

Maybe an alternate start would do the trick? Don't do the main quest and stay away from the common "early game" dungeons.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Download ENB for Skyrim -> Extract with winzip/winrar into Skyrim's folder next to the exe.

This is exactly my point. Right now the directions in the OP can be boiled down to "download it and disable AA." Even downloading it is a chore because you have to navigate through three or four horrible pages full of a crazy Russian's rambling with false "DOWNLOAD NOW" ads everywhere to find a tiny link at the bottom of hundreds of lines of patch notes. Then you have to find a preset, many of which have (potentially, to a new modder) meaningless acronyms attached with multiple versions with duplicate files, etc.

I was able to figure it out and I'm sure most people who care enough would, but a short step by step guide would simply make it easier for folks. You pretty much have the first step right there. ;)

fakedit: And seriously, if someone knows a good youtube walkthrough or something, just link to that. I just recall being annoyed with the process when I first started modding Skyrim which is why I mention it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Woolie Wool posted:

Familiar Faces. You can set them to wander the world, hang out in a certain location, be your follower, be marriageable, be a random NPC, be an enemy trying to kill you, whatever.

Woah, that sounds awesome, I know I'll start a fresh character eventually, definitely gonna grab this.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

kedo posted:

This is exactly my point. Right now the directions in the OP can be boiled down to "download it and disable AA." Even downloading it is a chore because you have to navigate through three or four horrible pages full of a crazy Russian's rambling with false "DOWNLOAD NOW" ads everywhere to find a tiny link at the bottom of hundreds of lines of patch notes. Then you have to find a preset, many of which have (potentially, to a new modder) meaningless acronyms attached with multiple versions with duplicate files, etc.

I was able to figure it out and I'm sure most people who care enough would, but a short step by step guide would simply make it easier for folks. You pretty much have the first step right there. ;)

fakedit: And seriously, if someone knows a good youtube walkthrough or something, just link to that. I just recall being annoyed with the process when I first started modding Skyrim which is why I mention it.

There's something about non-Anglophone European hobbyist coders and horrific web design/instructions. Witness https://www.descent2.de for instance. I dare you to try to set up D2X-XL with all the graphical mods in an hour.

Oh god Diedel is going to spend :10bux: to go on SA and yell at us now

I sometimes get hazy pale outlines around objects in Skyrim, is that AA/AF conflicting with ENB or something? nVidia GeForce Experience likes to "correct" graphics settings without being asked sometimes.

I'd really like to see a version of SXP that makes experience count towards a new level and then give you points to assign at level up. It's kind of annoying to have to go into Mod Configuration Menu every five minutes to see if I've earned enough experience to buy a new skill point.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 14, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure all of these guys are using website templates designed in the late 90s. I'm surprised there isn't a dancing baby gif somewhere.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dragons Diversified gets increasingly silly as you progress to higher levels and unlock more dragons. The lower level fire/frostsage dragons with the AoE attacks were cool if often maddeningly difficult, the twin dragons that always came in pairs were cool if disappointingly easy, then came Oblivion dragons that could summon atronachs, then Dwemer mechanical dragons that breathed steam and had a larger, more valuable version of a Centurion core inside them (a dwarven robot with a dragon soul instead of a soul gem? Really?) and now I ran into a werewolf that shapeshifted into an "Illusion dragon" that could disguise itself as a smaller monster, briefly turn invisible, hide its own health bar, and was bright pink.

E: The illusion dragon can spawn decoys of itself as well.

And Alduin is basically a dragon B-52 who can carpet bomb you with floods of AoE attacks while flying at full speed.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Just spent the last little while dicking around with Familiar Faces and Alternate Start, and frankly this is a better answer to my question than the one I came in here seeking. This is why I love this thread!

• Locked thread