Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I am shocked that there is discussion going on in this discussion forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What have you done to improve the thread besides complaining about it on the internet, Cole?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

"It's alright. You survived." says his fellow officer.

Of course. Everything is alright as long as all the cops go home tonight. Never mind that someone you're charged with protecting just died. It's ok in this thread to say gently caress the police? Cause drat, gently caress the police.

Did the officer who did the shooting quit?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Comatoast posted:

Of course. Everything is alright as long as all the cops go home tonight. Never mind that someone you're charged with protecting just died. It's ok in this thread to say gently caress the police? Cause drat, gently caress the police.

No, that's the second person he's shot to death. Check my posts in here from a day or two ago.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014

Comatoast posted:

Really? Blasting a guy for consoling his friend and partner immediately following a traumatic situation, during a breakdown? Regardless of whether you feel it is murder or not take a step back and get a loving grip.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Hardbody posted:

Regardless of whether you feel it is murder or not take a step back and get a loving grip.

Not really making a comment about this specific situation, but if I felt someone committed a murder I would most definitely not feel good about someone consoling that person.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not really making a comment about this specific situation, but if I felt someone committed a murder I would most definitely not feel good about someone consoling that person.

How does the other cop know that the shoot was questionable? Say what you will about the shoot itself, but criticizing the the cop who is consoling his buddy who just went through a very traumatic event is some pretty hardcore autism, even for SA.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hardbody posted:

Really? Blasting a guy for consoling his friend and partner immediately following a traumatic situation, during a breakdown? Regardless of whether you feel it is murder or not take a step back and get a loving grip.

Exactly, guys. If a cop ever shoots your friends or family, you should immediately call the precinct and send them flowers and a donation to the PBA or else they might get all worked up over it, and we wouldn't want that. The only thing worse than having someone close to you killed by police is having that officer feel upset.

Mucho agreedo that if you don't agree with this, you probably have autism.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Radbot posted:

Exactly, guys. If a cop ever shoots your friends or family, you should immediately call the precinct and send them flowers and a donation to the PBA or else they might get all worked up over it, and we wouldn't want that, because...???

luckily his fellow cop isn't you.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GreyPowerVan posted:

luckily his fellow cop isn't you.

I agree, because if it were I would have murdered a man.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

bitcoin bastard posted:

How does the other cop know that the shoot was questionable? Say what you will about the shoot itself, but criticizing the the cop who is consoling his buddy who just went through a very traumatic event is some pretty hardcore autism, even for SA.

That's why I'm not talking about this situation dickhead, I'm talking about something "I think is a murder" as the poster posited. Obviously his partner does not think his partner just murdered someone, at least in the immediate aftermath.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's why I'm not talking about this situation, I'm talking about something "I think is a murder" as the poster posited. Obviously his partner does not think his partner just murdered someone, at least in the immediate aftermath, so I'm not declaring that response as some gross thing.

And that's what really matters. No what you say or do, but what you (reasonably or unreasonably) believed at the time. I trust you apply this standard elsewhere?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's why I'm not talking about this situation dickhead, I'm talking about something "I think is a murder" as the poster posited. Obviously his partner does not think his partner just murdered someone, at least in the immediate aftermath.

"Not really making a comment about this specific situation, but" is about the same as "I'm not racist, but". Just an FYI.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

bitcoin bastard posted:

"Not really making a comment about this specific situation, but" is about the same as "I'm not racist, but". Just an FYI.

I am posting from an contextless void with a browser that does not show any other posts in this thread. :colbert:

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

This pretty much sums it up.

Until you have been involved in a violent death and dealt with the situation you have no idea of the emotions involved. Protip : I have. Being there for one another as a squad is all you have. There was no way for that officer to know the details that closely following an incident.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

bitcoin bastard posted:

Okay here then:

If you console someone you think might have just murdered someone: You are a bad person
If you are consoling someone you think just pulled a manslaughter in the line of duty: You're not a bad person

I thought it was incredibly stupid for someone to say

quote:

Regardless of whether you feel it is murder or not take a step back and get a loving grip.

Because if I'm pretty sure I just saw someone get murdered I don't think it's unreasonable to say gently caress you to the person who hugs them and tells them everythings gonna be ok. I think it's much murkier in this situation, to the point where I wouldn't feel comfortable calling his partner a piece of poo poo for not just hauling him in, but with all the hindsight it certainly doesn't look good.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Hey broseph misinterpreting my words. I was referring to the posters on D&D thinking it was murder and not the officers on the scene. This is why we think you are being an autistic retard right now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Hardbody posted:

Hey broseph misinterpreting my words. I was referring to the posters on D&D thinking it was murder and not the officers on the scene. This is why we think you are being an autistic retard right now.

And?

If someone here watches the vid and says "goddamn he straight up murdered that guy", I can understand someone not feeling right about the shooter being treated like a victim. For the exact reasons mentioned by the person you've got a problem with.

I guess I have to call you vapid or something now? We're running out of cliche Something Awful insults on this page.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You all kind of missed my point. The fact that the fellow officer was consoling him is not the problem. The fact that his consolation consisted solely of, "you survived" is the problem. Nevermind the dead guy. Nevermind that the original cop "survived" a confrontation that he created and ended. Nevermind that there was never a moment he was in danger. He survived. All the cops are going home. In my mind this is the problem. Us vs Them mentality.

Sort of related is the cop on cop shooting that happened in New Mexico recently. I cannot for the life of me find out what happened to the suspects. Why were they being shot at in the first place? Are they OK?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's OK buddy, you survived. You'll see your kids grow up. Now let's all spend a few days on paid leave while we get our stories straight I mean thoughts clear.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Proposal: officers that curse at people should face disciplinary action.

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

Proposal: officers that curse at people should face disciplinary action.

I'm surprised that this isn't more prevalent. I know that some agency's do have this rule in place, but it isn't as wide spread as it should be. This is simply a matter of professionalism.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
That pretty much happens everywhere.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Wow. One of the GiP cops just admitted to covering up a rape like it was a funny story:

Whale Cancer posted:

I love it when the ER calls us for poo poo. This 30 some year old woman decides to lose her anal cherry to a dude one night. We'll shortly into it she decides it's not for her and starts saying stop while she's biting the pillow. She never tries to pull away or push the dude off but eventually it's too much and she starts crying and homeboy pulls out. Later that evening her rear end is still hurting so she goes to the ER.

I get assigned this call and spend 15 minutes arguing with the ER doctor why this isn't a rape. He gets pissed and says or laws are crap compared to where he comes from. Oh yeah, he's from Pakistan.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Radbot posted:

Exactly, guys. If a cop ever shoots your friends or family, you should immediately call the precinct and send them flowers and a donation to the PBA or else they might get all worked up over it, and we wouldn't want that. The only thing worse than having someone close to you killed by police is having that officer feel upset.

Mucho agreedo that if you don't agree with this, you probably have autism.

Consolations and hugs are a resource that do not run out. Even the worst murderers could surely benefit from someone hugging them and treating them like a person for a second, yeah?
If this society would be more open towards treating anykind of transgressions with caring and leniency, maybe the society overall would be less violent? Considering that the "tough on crime" and black-white views of the world have led this society to take so many lovely steps.

So yeah, giving caring to a person next you is a good thing no matter what that person did. There is no harm in and yeah, this includes even HItler or Stalin himself, so that. Or people on death row, or rapists, or whoever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's ok trafficker coyote, you had to leave another locked box truck full of human cargo to die in the desert but you made it home. You got home.

e: how about we rely on the professional opinion of trauma counselors, rather than the justifications of police? I don't think trauma counselors are big fans of the idea of justifying homicide. Even if "you made it home and that's what matters" is intended simply as consolation, it seems to have quite a strong connection to the ongoing culture of police impunity. "You made it home" is a saying that doesn't seem in anyway limited to consolation after the use of lethal force. In fact, I think it is a huge problem that this concept is so pervasive that it is the first thing that falls out of a cop's mouth when another cop kills.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 14, 2015

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Yea..... Enjoy being a forum warrior who has literally no idea what he is talking about.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well the whole "going home tonight" is just bullshit, I agree.

"Here, lemme enjoy my statistically extremely safe job when compared to the general population and then trip balls about how "dangerous it is"".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hardbody posted:

Yea..... Enjoy being a forum warrior who has literally no idea what he is talking about.

Well I find you to be a little backhanded but I have agreed with you in the past:

Hardbody posted:

You are correct. These pussy rear end cops need to man the gently caress up and fight fair. Fat lazy fucks should either learn to take they licks and deal with situation without a gun or quit. They signed up to put themselves in danger so they shouldn't cry when they can't handle it without resorting bitch-rear end tactics like using a gun. No tazing people unless a person is armed. No shooting someone unless you get shot at first, and only then they have to give an official warning. They need to earn that $30 grand a year, instead of sitting around eating donuts and pulling over black people.

I wouldn't use such insulting terms, but I do agree that police are in no particular danger and it's inappropriate for them to regard themselves as in special need of the militarized mindset that leads to "you made it home and that's what matters." I agree with you about use of force disparity as well.

e: However, I find your salary cap suggestion to be a bit unrealistic.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

No shooting someone unless you get shot at first

Innocent until proven shooty

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Is this the part where you use heavy sarcasm then chuckle behind your keyboard as you pat yourself on the back for "stick'n it to the man"? It must be fun to judge people when you have no skin in the game.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hardbody posted:

Is this the part where you use heavy sarcasm then chuckle behind your keyboard as you pat yourself on the back for "stick'n it to the man"? It must be fun to judge people when you have no skin in the game.

Gosh I hope not. You weren't being sincere about this?

Hardbody posted:

You are correct. These pussy rear end cops need to man the gently caress up and fight fair. Fat lazy fucks should either learn to take they licks and deal with situation without a gun or quit. They signed up to put themselves in danger so they shouldn't cry when they can't handle it without resorting bitch-rear end tactics like using a gun. No tazing people unless a person is armed. No shooting someone unless you get shot at first, and only then they have to give an official warning. They need to earn that $30 grand a year, instead of sitting around eating donuts and pulling over black people.

I wasn't being sarcastic, were you?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I coordinate with local groups that are able to protect me from cops and rogue criminals on their turf. Unlike the police, they've never given me any trouble and when I've lost things they've actually gotten then back for me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

I coordinate with local groups that are able to protect me from cops and rogue criminals on their turf. Unlike the police, they've never given me any trouble and when I've lost things they've actually gotten then back for me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Only difference between them and the cops is that they are actually helpful.

Edit: and they work out of a lovely Chinese restaurant or equivalent instead of the basement of a respectable institution.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Police Departments should stop purchasing loving Dodge Chargers & Ford Taurus, the officers emerge cranky because of those clown cars.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014

SedanChair posted:

Gosh I hope not. You weren't being sincere about this?

I wasn't being sarcastic, were you?

Hardbody posted:

The fact people here agree with you is what scares me. And the funny part is 30k is the only accurate part of this post. Not every agency is the NYPD.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: and they work out of a lovely Chinese restaurant or equivalent instead of the basement of a respectable institution.

There's a police substation in a Wendy's in Washington DC. Well, more of a desk. But that's how it was labeled.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
See, it's all the same gig. Cops are gangsters and gangsters protect the neighborhood. I'll go with the local boys every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

The crips got my friend's bike back that same day.

• Locked thread