Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Hekk posted:

A buddy of mine convinced me to give World of Warcraft a shot. I know I am like 10 years late to the party on the mainstream MMO thing but if anyone is looking to group up with another GiPer shoot me a PM or something. Right now there are 4 or 5 of us just messing around. None of us really know what we are doing but I dropped a couple of bucks on a TS server so we can voice chat and stuff while whacking monsters with sticks and pointy things.

I've tried to play WoW multiple times over the last decade and I think the highest I got was 37 before I'm like "gently caress this."

All the fun poo poo was end-game and i was god drat tired of running around picking flowers but YMMV whenever I get into a WoW-style mood I just vege out on D3 all weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

gtav on pc is coming on 3/24

Cant wait for this, also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3hGDaDZqI

I barely play anymore and this video got my giddy as gently caress.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm pleading the 5th on anything WoW related.

My autism is super loving strong in that game though :shepicide:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FFXIV has ruined me on everything wow-related

it seriously feels it's age at this point

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Analogical posted:

I've tried to play WoW multiple times over the last decade and I think the highest I got was 37 before I'm like "gently caress this."

All the fun poo poo was end-game and i was god drat tired of running around picking flowers but YMMV whenever I get into a WoW-style mood I just vege out on D3 all weekend

Honestly the recruit a friend triple XP makes the grind pretty tolerable. My wife and I just ran a dungeon in like 20 minutes and went from level 21-26 pretty easily.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Analogical posted:

your only two mistakes were (A) playing WoW at all and (B) thinking "end game" arenas/raiding were fun

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

at the date posted:

your only two mistakes were (A) playing WoW at all and (B) thinking "end game" arenas/raiding were fun

I feel like those stupid hamsters running on the wheel because I know that the game isn't going to get any better and I know that the treadmill is endless but I can't help but be surprised and looking forward to getting a cool new sword or piece of armor or whatever drops next. I doubt I will ever play seriously but smashing things with friends is fun enough.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hekk posted:

I feel like those stupid hamsters running on the wheel because I know that the game isn't going to get any better and I know that the treadmill is endless but I can't help but be surprised and looking forward to getting a cool new sword or piece of armor or whatever drops next. I doubt I will ever play seriously but smashing things with friends is fun enough.

I can think of dozens of other games where I can smash things with friends without paying full price + monthly sub fee for a decade-old "classic" grindathon and then spending dozens of hours doing generic fetch/kill quests to reach their level and dozens more hours getting the right items to smash things only to realize that uh oh, the patch hits tomorrow and the Pavlovian "content" I finally reached is obsolete!

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
7 Days to Die is p legit for the reasons Larry Parrish listed. The graphics are not as pretty as The Forest or Rust, but it appears much deeper than those two. The zombies are a real threat and can take down your place if you rile them up enough.

The main reason why 7DtD is awesome: it's loving easy to add friends and see exactly where they are on the map. gently caress that realism poo poo of spending an hour finding your buddy just to get capped 3 minutes later. If you just wanna gently caress up poo poo with your bros this is a good game.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Helldump Immunity. posted:

7 Days to Die is p legit for the reasons Larry Parrish listed. The graphics are not as pretty as The Forest or Rust, but it appears much deeper than those two. The zombies are a real threat and can take down your place if you rile them up enough.

The main reason why 7DtD is awesome: it's loving easy to add friends and see exactly where they are on the map. gently caress that realism poo poo of spending an hour finding your buddy just to get capped 3 minutes later. If you just wanna gently caress up poo poo with your bros this is a good game.

remember when I was trying to peep the zombie sitch and that fucker whip closed the hatch on me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

uh I kind of want to play this and I'm not sure why

Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Refurbished) $63 + Free Shipping

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 14, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Some irl friends got me into wow. If you buy the base game and latest expansion you get one character boosted to 90 (cap is 100) so it's not too bad to get to endgame. I have fun shooting poo poo with friends. There are better games but go with the flow eh

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

uh I kind of want to play this and I'm not sure why

if you want to play an mmo it's pretty much the only good one these days

the original ffxiv was basically square enix jerking off about everquest again (like ffxi) and then everyone quit and went back to ffxi. Then the tsunami happened in japan and they took the game down for 3 months, and came back and no one gave a poo poo.

then square enix fired the director, gave the new director a year to fix it, and shockingly enough he did. they redid the entire world, combat, classes, everything and made it really good.

plus it has so many stupid nice things about it, like having every class on one character. Want to switch classes? Just switch weapons, and boom, all set. No need for alts at all.

it looks really nice, plays nice on PC and on PS4, plays awesome with a controller, and the team puts out an insane fuckload of content for the game.

i mean all MMOs are horrible, but ffxiv is basically the only one worth playing. i just wish PVP was better in it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Some irl friends got me into wow. If you buy the base game and latest expansion you get one character boosted to 90 (cap is 100) so it's not too bad to get to endgame. I have fun shooting poo poo with friends. There are better games but go with the flow eh

That's kind of where I am. My brother and a friend are playing and my wife groups with us so it's easy and fun enough. I played Everquest 2 for like 6 years and Everquest before that. Also played Final Fantasy XIV and while it's a really fun game, getting anyone I know to actually go buy it is another thing. Everyone has heard of WoW and it's not super intimidating just to gently caress around in. As I have gotten more casual in old age, I've found that playing objectively less good games with friends is better than playing better ones without anyone I know.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

i mean all MMOs are horrible, but ffxiv is basically the only one worth playing. i just wish PVP was better in it.

I always see you rambling about it in here but never looked into it because it looked lame. Does get a lot of buzz though and like you said seems like it sucked initially then ended up being good.

Is ps4 or PC more popular? (I have both) mouse/keyboard vs controller? I mean I won't play anytime soon and not that I need another game to play but yeah all MMOs suck (lol @ Destiny) and I can't go back to playing Ultima Online again for the 10th time. Is it getting increasingly popular as time goes on? Is there a new sequel coming out soon that won't cross over? Will it be around for a while?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

This is why I never invited you to join my Arma III clan.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

krispykremessuck posted:

remember when I was trying to peep the zombie sitch and that fucker whip closed the hatch on me

whip is a rude dick

holocaust bloopers posted:

:(

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

um you missed out on some trill times in arma III then

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

I always see you rambling about it in here but never looked into it because it looked lame. Does get a lot of buzz though and like you said seems like it sucked initially then ended up being good.

Is ps4 or PC more popular? (I have both) mouse/keyboard vs controller? I mean I won't play anytime soon and not that I need another game to play but yeah all MMOs suck (lol @ Destiny) and I can't go back to playing Ultima Online again for the 10th time. Is it getting increasingly popular as time goes on? Is there a new sequel coming out soon that won't cross over? Will it be around for a while?

there's an expansion coming out next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68CNzwinqlg

It literally doesn't matter if you play PS4 or PC. Both play on the same servers. You can play it on controller with PC, or you can plug a mouse and keyboard into a PS4 if you want. (probably won't support $150 gaming keyboards with a million macro buttons but w/e). PS4 plays like PC on Ultra with like an extra second or two of load times. Plus PS4 has remote play if you want to play on a Vita, and owns.

I don't know if it's getting more popular, but it's maintaining it's playerbase at the very least, even with Warriors of Draenor. They put out major content patches (new classes/new dungeons/new questlines) every 3 months or so, and it's been an insane amount of content.

As far as sequel stuff, they're still running FFXI. People still play it. I don't see it going anywhere.

Also the Goon presence is actually fun/nice and not a complete bunch of fucks like in Wojtek in WoW who dumped his two dogs so he could have more time collecting 500+ virtual pets.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

krispykremessuck posted:

um you missed out on some trill times in arma III then

:lol: sure I did.

Anyway this is really cool and all but I gotta man the FRC sub forum tonight.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

:lol: sure I did.

Anyway this is really cool and all but I gotta man the FRC sub forum tonight.

I think at the height of it there was like 8 of us and not a single mission completion. in fact the closest we ever got moker suicided a fuel truck into the helicopter I was trying to get off the ground

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That was a while ago. Right before IDR got dusted.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

there was one time we were about to complete the mission and a grenade got thrown

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The one time I tried it, HDI and I were in a tiny shack and I threw a grenade against the wall.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

if you want to play an mmo it's pretty much the only good one these days

the original ffxiv was basically square enix jerking off about everquest again (like ffxi) and then everyone quit and went back to ffxi. Then the tsunami happened in japan and they took the game down for 3 months, and came back and no one gave a poo poo.

then square enix fired the director, gave the new director a year to fix it, and shockingly enough he did. they redid the entire world, combat, classes, everything and made it really good.

plus it has so many stupid nice things about it, like having every class on one character. Want to switch classes? Just switch weapons, and boom, all set. No need for alts at all.

it looks really nice, plays nice on PC and on PS4, plays awesome with a controller, and the team puts out an insane fuckload of content for the game.

I also formed a linkshell for all mil dudes, but i almost never log in anymore so LOL

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

I also formed a linkshell for all mil dudes, but i almost never log in anymore so LOL

i resubbed a couple days ago for the new patch

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the last mmo i cared about was either apb or age conan i dont remember which, but i remember being betrayed by both of them :argh:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i love this bizzare game.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Is it a roguelike?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you dudes wanna get in on my transgendered-themed, Kickstarter backed MOBA/rogue like mash-up?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Any of you dudes wanna get in on my transgendered-themed, Kickstarter backed MOBA/rogue like mash-up?

Is the content procedurally generated?!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Does it have emergent gameplay?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
gently caress all that nerd poo poo, CS:GO is the game to play.

I just hate how you need 10 wins to get ranked, but you can only play like 5 matches a day, win or lose, while you're still unranked. gently caress valve, I just want to play more 5v5 matches :(

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Kickstarter triggered me. Reported.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yeah, your characters genitals are

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

is there an online service that has dune 2k?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Two Finger posted:

is there an online service that has dune 2k?
not really but this might help you out http://d2kplus.com/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

what does it have for Metroidvania elements

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the shadowrun hong kong kickstarter is already at 287k

edit : 15 of the backers are 1k :psyduck:

i hope it hits at least 550k for the expanded magic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i threw in 10 bucks to a kickstarter game in 2013 and still haven't gotten it.

i cant imagine dudes who throw down hundreds of dollars on hopes and dreams in video game format

• Locked thread