Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

What high earning family of four with a stay at home mom lives in a two bedroom apartment? This conversation is pretty dumb but let's at least have the same one...
Yeah, usually those families come with upper class neighborhood SFR's... Probably a maid or two, stay at home moms need help cleaning you know.

BFC is entertaining.

Faerunner posted:

I was under the impression that student loans (At least direct government ones) don't get written off when you die and they just go after your next of kin to pay up instead, which is why I haven't offed myself yet. Then again I don't know many people with gov't loans at a 2% interest rate either so I'm guessing yours is private?
An IRA beneficiary bypasses your estate, and hence would not be reduced by your student loan debt. If you structured your death by not specifying a direct beneficiary then yes, the IRA would be liquidated to pay the loan. Unless you have a consigner, your loan dies when you do, either by being paid off by your estate or written off due to your death. I suppose it's time to off yourself? (Wtf? The only reason you haven't done so is because you don't want to pass your debt on?? Seek help...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Uhhhhh... if I could take out a 2% unsecured loan to fund my IRA? gently caress yes.

In fact, I have a 2% student loan (so, effective rate closer to 1.75-1.8%) that I don't pay down for this exact reason. Additionally, if I die, my IRA is inheritable as an asset, but they'll write off the student loan, so there's yet another reason not to pay it.

He didn't say anything about it being unsecured. He also didn't say anything about it being a student loan, and not paying a governmental student loan is a different story from a typical private or conventional unsecured loans.

MJBuddy posted:

loving nerds and their math, amirite?

You are a loving idiot if you can't understand how money in your pocket is better utilized spent on the IRA over a loan taken out at any percentage. Using the money in hand is immediately a winner by whatever the gently caress percentage you want to use as your interest rate. Great job trying to be a funny guy in the financial forum, though.

Faerunner posted:

I was under the impression that student loans (At least direct government ones) don't get written off when you die and they just go after your next of kin to pay up instead, which is why I haven't offed myself yet. Then again I don't know many people with gov't loans at a 2% interest rate either so I'm guessing yours is private?

Government loans are written off at death. It is cosigned private loans that are screwing families of dead family members.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dead Pressed posted:

He didn't say anything about it being unsecured. He also didn't say anything about it being a student loan, and not paying a governmental student loan is a different story from a typical private or conventional unsecured loans.

You are a loving idiot if you can't understand how money in your pocket is better utilized spent on the IRA over a loan taken out at any percentage. Using the money in hand is immediately a winner by whatever the gently caress percentage you want to use as your interest rate. Great job trying to be a funny guy in the financial forum, though.

Government loans are written off at death. It is cosigned private loans that are screwing families of dead family members.

Maybe you should chill out a bit if BFC is too tense for you, man.

james1844
Sep 6, 2010

spinst posted:

Does anyone use Ally for their checking account?

I will be moving this summer, and my new city will only have one branch of the bank I currently use (US Bank) and it will be on the other side of town from where I will be working and probably living…

I opened an Ally savings account, and so long as that goes smoothly for the next six months, I was thinking of using a checking account with them as well.

Has everyone had positive experiences?

Ally is the old GMAC. They were pne of the companies that was on the verge of going under and needed to take TARP funds. I would be very, very careful about putting my money in that bank until you've reviewed their management structure and are satisfied that the people who caused the near-bankruptcy are no long there.

Here is a link to a GAO paper on the subject.

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41846.pdf

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

james1844 posted:

Ally is the old GMAC. They were pne of the companies that was on the verge of going under and needed to take TARP funds. I would be very, very careful about putting my money in that bank until you've reviewed their management structure and are satisfied that the people who caused the near-bankruptcy are no long there.

That's interesting, I would never have known that about Ally. They've worked fine for me so far, but certainly there are more options that are just as good.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Yeah, usually those families come with upper class neighborhood SFR's... Probably a maid or two, stay at home moms need help cleaning you know.

BFC is entertaining.
An IRA beneficiary bypasses your estate, and hence would not be reduced by your student loan debt. If you structured your death by not specifying a direct beneficiary then yes, the IRA would be liquidated to pay the loan. Unless you have a consigner, your loan dies when you do, either by being paid off by your estate or written off due to your death. I suppose it's time to off yourself? (Wtf? The only reason you haven't done so is because you don't want to pass your debt on?? Seek help...)

A) I didn't understand half of what you just said and also was not the one asking the question in the first place, and B) jooooooooooooking. Clearly.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Faerunner posted:

A) I didn't understand half of what you just said and also was not the one asking the question in the first place, and B) jooooooooooooking. Clearly.
A) See article: http://money.cnn.com/2000/06/28/strategies/q_retire_slott/ "Leaving an IRA to your estate also means that it will become subject to any creditors of your estate. Another problem with letting your IRA pass through your estate is that most of whatever is left after erosion from probate and creditors, will be lost to taxes."
B) Good! The internet is not always clear.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

james1844 posted:

This is of course a non-issue until you have $250k in assets in the bank, since deposits are insured.

EDIT: I suppose you could make a moral case for not wanting to support a company that was ran into the ground, and I can support that.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Vilgan posted:

I've heard significantly different stories about costs, but I don't live there so whatevs :)

On the flipside, that sounds awful and reinforces how much I love Seattle. Slightly lower salaries in exchange for significantly cheaper housing in walkable neighborhoods with a nice easy commute via bus or light rail. I live in my favorite part of Seattle that is super walkable, right near the lake and a bunch of other cool things, etc and our monthly expenses are 1500/month for mortgage and 1k/month for food/utilities/etc that we need to spend and 1k per month that we could easily remove if necessary. We could get that a lot lower if we moved to a less nice neighborhood.

Edit> I lied, I am going to question these numbers. Zillow quotes average 2 br in silicon valley as 2200 a year ago, I doubt its gone up over 50% in the last year. I see lots of 2 br apartments in that area for WAY under 3500. Also, people usually throw around 700k for a home, that'd be like 2600 before insurance/tax not over 3500.
Other costs:
food - 600/month
Car/life insurance: 100/month and vehicle: gas/maintenance 200/month
Utilities/all other random stuff: 300
So maybe 4500 before childcare IF you need childcare, the original discussion was single earners because they probably want a 6 month cushion while its a lot less necessary for dual earners. Dual earners ought to be fine with a lot less than 6 months

I'll stand by my original point that burning through 50k in 6 months is absurd. Lots of people in SV have posted elsewhere that they are easily able to live in SV and save 60-75% of their income by not going crazy with spending. If both people are earning 60k or whatever such that you really do need both people to work, perhaps you should move just about anywhere else in the country that's not Manhattan or SV.

No one is saving 75% of their income in SF/Silicon Valley. I can imagine living expenses for 6 months reasonably being around 50k in Palo Alto for a dual income family with a couple of kids, especially if they have a mortgage. Even as a single person my living expenses are about 50k/year, a substantial majority of which comes from rent, and I don't own a car and I have all my meals provided at work.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

blah_blah posted:

No one is saving 75% of their income in SF/Silicon Valley. I can imagine living expenses for 6 months reasonably being around 50k in Palo Alto for a dual income family with a couple of kids, especially if they have a mortgage. Even as a single person my living expenses are about 50k/year, a substantial majority of which comes from rent, and I don't own a car and I have all my meals provided at work.

Do you have roommates? You should, especially since you eat at work. No kitchen conflicts.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I love how every time someone brings up a specific example of how SV is expensive, the conversation derails to frugality advice for them rather than acceptance that some areas just require very large outflows.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

blah_blah posted:

Have you considered living as a homeless person?

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 15, 2015

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Do you have roommates? You should, especially since you eat at work. No kitchen conflicts.

MrKatharsis posted:

I love how every time someone brings up a specific example of how SV is expensive, the conversation derails to frugality advice for them rather than acceptance that some areas just require very large outflows.

Yeah, I'm not looking for advice or complaining -- I'm just trying to correct some of the misinformation in that post. I save over 40% of my pre-tax income, and having roommates sucks.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Or literally living at the office?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I will be getting (basically) three months of pay at the end of June. I will have to live off of that for three months until I get my first check at my next job at the end of September.

Does it make any difference if I pay three months of car payments at once and then none until the end of September or three equal payments each month?

(The next payment is "due" in September anyway, as I pay extra each month as it is.)

spinst fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 17, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It makes a difference if your extra payments are going to principle or just being held for your next due date. In the first instance, you're saving money on interest. In the second, you are not. I suspect your situation is the second but you should read the paperwork for the loan.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

It makes a difference if your extra payments are going to principle or just being held for your next due date. In the first instance, you're saving money on interest. In the second, you are not. I suspect your situation is the second but you should read the paperwork for the loan.

When I asked, I got this response:

"Please be advised that on your specific loan type, each time you send more than the required payment amount, the additional funds are deducted from your principal balance and advances to the next months due date as long as the interest is satisfied."

If I'm reading it right, as long as I am paying more than the interest (I am), they deduct the rest from the principal? They do reflect that in my due date, but it sounds like it is still reducing my principal?

spinst fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 17, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Sweet, good job then.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

All right, figured I'd give this a shot. I've only very recently started looking seriously into personal finance, so feel free to call me an idiot babby moron or whatever :v:

Background: Software engineer living in central Florida (Space Coast area). Moved here from Puerto Rico as soon as I finished college and started working at my current job in July 2013. Single, 23 years old. No student loans. No children, dependents, or major financial responsibilities outside of rent/transportation/utilities and food. I'm certainly not planning on buying a house anytime soon (not like I could right now, my credit history is barely a year old), but eventually it would be nice not to have to throw a fifth of my income into a black hole every month. Not a paragon of frugality like some of the examples/expectations in the Financial Independence thread since I do like to buy nice gadgets every once in a while, but I am interested in the concept of FI in the sense of being able to survive without a 40-hour corporate job while still doing other things on the side rather than complete early retirement.

Income: 3326.36/month (post-taxes/healthcare/deductions/401k)

Assets:
Savings: 710.69
(Untouched, as it's a remnant of a secured CC I converted to unsecured about six months ago)
Checking: 6696.96 (No yield, direct deposit, used as a buffer for day-to-day expenses)
Money market: 6746.24
401k: 7684.16 (Fidelity, 6% contribution w/employer matching, Lifecycle Target Fund 2055)
Total: 21838.05

Loans: 21678.07 (Auto loan with BB&T, 2.15%)

CCs:
1701.29 (Discover It!, 4K limit, 13 months left on introductory 0% APR)

Got this one last November, churned all my Christmas purchases for myself and the family through it because cashback rewards. Planning to clear it out sometime before Q2 since I'll be using it on a two-week vacation trip to Japan in the fall due to no forex fees. Might consider using it to churn all my monthly expenses that don't come straight out of my checking account after that's all said and done.
531.70 (Space Coast, 1K limit, 18%)
I use this one as a charge card and pay it off every month without fail. Main reason it's so high halfway into the month is because I had to order a new pair of glasses. Lenses are kinda expensive when you're at -7.0/-8.5 :/

Monthly Expenses:
Rent: 758.00
Car payment: 474.00
(technically 374, but I try to overpay by 100/month in order to pay it off a bit faster since the excess goes into principal)
Auto insurance: 96.00
Gas: 20.00
(I live literally two minutes away from my job and don't constantly drive to Orlando on the weekends like some of my peers, so I fill up maybe once every four or five weeks)
Electricity: 35~110, depends on the season and how much I use the AC that particular month
Water/trash: ~48.00
Internet: 78.04
(40mbit down/2.5mbit up)
Phone: 0.00 (Still on my dad's family plan, so gonna milk that for all it's worth)
Gym: 31.60
Food: ~400.00
(Rough estimate. I go out to lunch almost every day at work, and definitely at least twice over the weekend. I do usually make my own dinner at home, though.)
Total: ~1970.00

Remainder: ~1356.00
I don't keep track of it that tightly, but it's more than enough to where I can see my checking account grow by a good fraction of that every month.

Goals:
I'd like to be financially independent by 40 (okay, let's be realistic; 45-50 is more likely) and partially retire back to Puerto Rico. However, when the time comes I do want to not have any rent/housing expenses other than utilities and such if I can help it, so I may need to consider investing on taxable accounts rather than focus exclusively on tax-sheltered retirement savings. There's also the matter of what I would need to do while I hit age 60 and can cash out from my 401k with impunity (I understand there's ways to get around this, but I'm not well versed on withdrawal regulations and tax laws regarding retirement accounts other than the very basics, so any advice here would be greatly appreciated).

I'm seriously considering doubling my 401k contribution to 12%, which according to the take-home pay calculator on Fidelity's site would reduce my take-home pay by about 440 a month, which I think I can manage. A couple more questions come immediately to mind, however:
1) Would it be a good idea to take 5.5k between my checking/money market accounts and shove those into a Roth IRA somewhere? If so, who would you recommend?
2) Should I continue paying above the minimum on my car and pay it off as soon as I can versus, say, putting that extra 100/month into my 401k, considering the interest on the auto loan is significantly lower than my 401k gains last year?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mersenne posted:

All right, figured I'd give this a shot. I've only very recently started looking seriously into personal finance, so feel free to call me an idiot babby moron or whatever :v:

Background: Software engineer living in central Florida (Space Coast area). Moved here from Puerto Rico as soon as I finished college and started working at my current job in July 2013. Single, 23 years old. No student loans. No children, dependents, or major financial responsibilities outside of rent/transportation/utilities and food. I'm certainly not planning on buying a house anytime soon (not like I could right now, my credit history is barely a year old), but eventually it would be nice not to have to throw a fifth of my income into a black hole every month. Not a paragon of frugality like some of the examples/expectations in the Financial Independence thread since I do like to buy nice gadgets every once in a while, but I am interested in the concept of FI in the sense of being able to survive without a 40-hour corporate job while still doing other things on the side rather than complete early retirement.

Income: 3326.36/month (post-taxes/healthcare/deductions/401k)

Assets:
Savings: 710.69
(Untouched, as it's a remnant of a secured CC I converted to unsecured about six months ago)
Checking: 6696.96 (No yield, direct deposit, used as a buffer for day-to-day expenses)
Money market: 6746.24
401k: 7684.16 (Fidelity, 6% contribution w/employer matching, Lifecycle Target Fund 2055)
Total: 21838.05

Loans: 21678.07 (Auto loan with BB&T, 2.15%)

CCs:
1701.29 (Discover It!, 4K limit, 13 months left on introductory 0% APR)

Got this one last November, churned all my Christmas purchases for myself and the family through it because cashback rewards. Planning to clear it out sometime before Q2 since I'll be using it on a two-week vacation trip to Japan in the fall due to no forex fees. Might consider using it to churn all my monthly expenses that don't come straight out of my checking account after that's all said and done.
531.70 (Space Coast, 1K limit, 18%)
I use this one as a charge card and pay it off every month without fail. Main reason it's so high halfway into the month is because I had to order a new pair of glasses. Lenses are kinda expensive when you're at -7.0/-8.5 :/

Monthly Expenses:
Rent: 758.00
Car payment: 474.00
(technically 374, but I try to overpay by 100/month in order to pay it off a bit faster since the excess goes into principal)
Auto insurance: 96.00
Gas: 20.00
(I live literally two minutes away from my job and don't constantly drive to Orlando on the weekends like some of my peers, so I fill up maybe once every four or five weeks)
Electricity: 35~110, depends on the season and how much I use the AC that particular month
Water/trash: ~48.00
Internet: 78.04
(40mbit down/2.5mbit up)
Phone: 0.00 (Still on my dad's family plan, so gonna milk that for all it's worth)
Gym: 31.60
Food: ~400.00
(Rough estimate. I go out to lunch almost every day at work, and definitely at least twice over the weekend. I do usually make my own dinner at home, though.)
Total: ~1970.00

Remainder: ~1356.00
I don't keep track of it that tightly, but it's more than enough to where I can see my checking account grow by a good fraction of that every month.

Goals:
I'd like to be financially independent by 40 (okay, let's be realistic; 45-50 is more likely) and partially retire back to Puerto Rico. However, when the time comes I do want to not have any rent/housing expenses other than utilities and such if I can help it, so I may need to consider investing on taxable accounts rather than focus exclusively on tax-sheltered retirement savings. There's also the matter of what I would need to do while I hit age 60 and can cash out from my 401k with impunity (I understand there's ways to get around this, but I'm not well versed on withdrawal regulations and tax laws regarding retirement accounts other than the very basics, so any advice here would be greatly appreciated).

I'm seriously considering doubling my 401k contribution to 12%, which according to the take-home pay calculator on Fidelity's site would reduce my take-home pay by about 440 a month, which I think I can manage. A couple more questions come immediately to mind, however:
1) Would it be a good idea to take 5.5k between my checking/money market accounts and shove those into a Roth IRA somewhere? If so, who would you recommend?
2) Should I continue paying above the minimum on my car and pay it off as soon as I can versus, say, putting that extra 100/month into my 401k, considering the interest on the auto loan is significantly lower than my 401k gains last year?

Why don't you use your $6K in checking to pay off the credit cards? Also, that car is expensive, but I would say rather than the new car debate can of worms, I would just recommend making that the biggest priority on your list: paying that off. I get its a low rate, but I personally think having less debt is a bigger reward and success than earning an extra 2-5% on investing. Especially if you are already investing (which you are). Plus, as others point out here, it's a guaranteed investment of saving 2% on paying it off, it's always possible the investing you do is an off year and it makes no interest.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Duckman2008 posted:

Why don't you use your $6K in checking to pay off the credit cards? Also, that car is expensive, but I would say rather than the new car debate can of worms, I would just recommend making that the biggest priority on your list: paying that off. I get its a low rate, but I personally think having less debt is a bigger reward and success than earning an extra 2-5% on investing. Especially if you are already investing (which you are). Plus, as others point out here, it's a guaranteed investment of saving 2% on paying it off, it's always possible the investing you do is an off year and it makes no interest.

Cards aren't going to be an issue; the $530 one is just the one I run most of my day to day expenses on and always pay off at the end of each month; and I'm likely going to clear out the Discover at the end of the month since I get three paychecks this month. The plane tickets will probably add about ~2k that I'll need to pay off before the intro period expires; no big deal.

Yes, it's a new car, and I fully expect people to start ripping into me relentlessly over it, but long story short I got my license three days before moving and am a complete scrub at driving, so I loaded up my car with as many safety features as I could (rear camera, BSM, etc.) Those aren't really available on older cars, and I didn't want to deal with all the headaches and potential repair costs/inflated insurance payments associated with buying a used car at the moment, especially since the used car dealerships here have less-than-savory reputations. Was it a stupid move? Perhaps, but I have no regrets. Of course it goes without saying I'm planning on driving this thing until it literally starts falling apart around me :v:

The "pay off car faster vs. increase retirement fund contribution by overpayment amount" debate is really interesting to me, because right now in my ignorance I could probably see a case for either. While my 401k's certainly outpacing the interest rate on the loan by quite a bit, you're absolutely right in that another 2008 could gently caress things up in the future. On the other hand, the faster I get rid of that loan, that's almost 400/month freed up to invest elsewhere, which may not get me nearly as much of a potential return as putting the amount I would overpay by in retirement but would get me a guaranteed 2% for paying it off early.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mersenne posted:

The "pay off car faster vs. increase retirement fund contribution by overpayment amount" debate is really interesting to me, because right now in my ignorance I could probably see a case for either.

There totally is a case for either. You could split the difference - take your extra $1000/mo and put half toward the car and half into an IRA. (Actually $460 into the IRA, there's a contribution limit.) Considering you're looking at early "retirement", maybe use a Roth IRA and keep it a little more conservative than Target Retirement 2055.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Even small contributions up to the match makes a big difference to a 401k/Roth balance, since starting at 23 starts the compounding process much earlier.

The other advice is take advantage of as many paid by the company learning, training, certification or educational opportunities.

Getting promoted or just a decent yearly raise due to picking up bigger skills greatly helps getting more positive cash flow over time.

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 18, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If there were a higher rate on the car, I'd be with everyone else in saying that you should pay it down faster. However, at 2%? Assuming it's fixed-rate, I think you'd be just fine maxing out your 401k and IRA limits first; there's an opportunity cost to paying down your debt and not taking advantage of the tax-deferral on those (and the tax-free interest on a Roth IRA). I would also up your 401k contribution before paying down that discover card. Obviously, continue to kill the other CC every month.

There's a risk to not paying down the debt and locking up more of your money in retirement accounts, because if poo poo happens, you won't be nearly as liquid as you would otherwise be.

If you're planning on retiring early, you gain more by maxing your Roth IRA contributions now, for two reasons: one, the earnings on a Roth IRA will be tax free down the line, which is greatly beneficial when mixed with a traditional IRA/401k (since you can minimize your tax exposure by withdrawing from the Roth), and two, you can withdraw the principal from the Roth at any age, without penalty; that means that you can max out your Roth for 25 years, withdraw the principal to live off of, and your earnings will continue making money until you can withdraw them tax-free. The Roth limit is only $5,500, too. So, in your position, I would probably prioritize as follows:

0) Min payments on car.
1) Max matching on 401k
2) Space Coast CC
3) Discover CC, monthly payments to get it killed in ~8 months or so.
4) Max Roth IRA contribution
5) 401k/traditional IRA/other investment
6) Additional car principal

This is a little riskier than paying down the car more hurriedly, but the long-term returns are much greater. You could certainly pay down the car before doing other savings/investing. But I think you benefit a lot from the Roth IRA in particular.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Thanatosian posted:

If there were a higher rate on the car, I'd be with everyone else in saying that you should pay it down faster. However, at 2%? Assuming it's fixed-rate, I think you'd be just fine maxing out your 401k and IRA limits first; there's an opportunity cost to paying down your debt and not taking advantage of the tax-deferral on those (and the tax-free interest on a Roth IRA). I would also up your 401k contribution before paying down that discover card. Obviously, continue to kill the other CC every month.

There's a risk to not paying down the debt and locking up more of your money in retirement accounts, because if poo poo happens, you won't be nearly as liquid as you would otherwise be.

If you're planning on retiring early, you gain more by maxing your Roth IRA contributions now, for two reasons: one, the earnings on a Roth IRA will be tax free down the line, which is greatly beneficial when mixed with a traditional IRA/401k (since you can minimize your tax exposure by withdrawing from the Roth), and two, you can withdraw the principal from the Roth at any age, without penalty; that means that you can max out your Roth for 25 years, withdraw the principal to live off of, and your earnings will continue making money until you can withdraw them tax-free. The Roth limit is only $5,500, too. So, in your position, I would probably prioritize as follows:

0) Min payments on car.
1) Max matching on 401k
2) Space Coast CC
3) Discover CC, monthly payments to get it killed in ~8 months or so.
4) Max Roth IRA contribution
5) 401k/traditional IRA/other investment
6) Additional car principal

This is a little riskier than paying down the car more hurriedly, but the long-term returns are much greater. You could certainly pay down the car before doing other savings/investing. But I think you benefit a lot from the Roth IRA in particular.

I totally agree that paying above minimum on the car at 2% probably isn't ideal from a finance perspective, but it might be better psychologically. I would probably even put additional car principal at #7 and if 1-5 are maxed out, put it in a taxable account. Even with taxes on the earnings, I feel that beating 2% net of tax should be pretty doable, plus that money would be semi liquid.

Did you not read his first post or follow up posts? He pays off the Space Coast CC every month in full, the balance now is just how much he spent on it in the last month. He also has a 0% APR on the Discover Card and plans to pay it off in his next pay cycle.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Kind of related to car chat, and something I'm pondering:

I saved the bulk of it and bought a new-ish car. I financed a few thousand, but it will be fully paid off this year. It's a 2014, and I'll be driving it until it croaks. I put money aside each month for repairs, maintenance, etc.

My plan: once the car is paid off, I'm going to take that car payment, quarter it and continue putting it away for "new car" in 10 years or so. This way I'll have to finance nothing.

Question: at what point are others doing this? As in, saving for a new car even though there's no immediate need?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^A million Dave Ramsey believers do that exact thing and come out ok.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Eris posted:

Kind of related to car chat, and something I'm pondering:

I saved the bulk of it and bought a new-ish car. I financed a few thousand, but it will be fully paid off this year. It's a 2014, and I'll be driving it until it croaks. I put money aside each month for repairs, maintenance, etc.

My plan: once the car is paid off, I'm going to take that car payment, quarter it and continue putting it away for "new car" in 10 years or so. This way I'll have to finance nothing.

Question: at what point are others doing this? As in, saving for a new car even though there's no immediate need?

This is what I personally do. I put aside $750 a month into a mental car bucket (this is for two cars). It is technically integrated into my taxable investment account, but I keep a spreadsheet of what funds are in there.

This amount covers maintenance, repairs, etc and the purchase price of the next new car. I've been doing this for a number of years and had enough cash to cover the purchase of the 15 outback I just bought. However, instead of paying cash, I took the 48 month/1.5% loan. Now I put in $250 a month to into the same mental car fund and the payment is around $500 a month. My theory is a new car every 8-10 years, so I probably need to increase the amount a little bit, but I can always raid one of my other mental "funds" (something non emergency or retirement related, IE toy funds)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Rather than deal with signing up for trial periods with the three UK credit agencies, I'd rather pay the £2 statutory fee and get a copy of my credit report in the post - £6 in total for an annual check-up seems peachy. However, is pulling my credit like this going to affect my score? - as in, is it better to get all three agencies' reports at the start of the year, or cycle through them every four months?

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Mersenne posted:

Yes, it's a new car, and I fully expect people to start ripping into me relentlessly over it, but long story short I got my license three days before moving and am a complete scrub at driving, so I loaded up my car with as many safety features as I could (rear camera, BSM, etc.) Those aren't really available on older cars, and I didn't want to deal with all the headaches and potential repair costs/inflated insurance payments associated with buying a used car at the moment, especially since the used car dealerships here have less-than-savory reputations. Was it a stupid move? Perhaps, but I have no regrets. Of course it goes without saying I'm planning on driving this thing until it literally starts falling apart around me :v:

The "pay off car faster vs. increase retirement fund contribution by overpayment amount" debate is really interesting to me, because right now in my ignorance I could probably see a case for either. While my 401k's certainly outpacing the interest rate on the loan by quite a bit, you're absolutely right in that another 2008 could gently caress things up in the future. On the other hand, the faster I get rid of that loan, that's almost 400/month freed up to invest elsewhere, which may not get me nearly as much of a potential return as putting the amount I would overpay by in retirement but would get me a guaranteed 2% for paying it off early.

New car is fine, just drive it until you are ready to retire. I always hear people throwing around 8-10 years per car or some nonsense, which blows my mind and would definitely slow down early retirement stuff.

The main thing I would stress is that getting $$ into tax sheltered status is huge. When evaluating whether to pay off the car or put it into a 401k or Roth IRA, the "which will have the best return" is not the only relevant factor. You get X amount of tax sheltered space per year and it will go up a LOT slower than your salary will. So, try to max it out as early on in your career as possible and keep maxing it out. I think Thanatosian's priority list is a good one and paying off a 2% or even 4% debt is unimportant until you've maxed out your Roth IRA and your 401k deferral limits. There are lots of ways to get at that money before you turn 59.5, but no good ways to turn back the clock and take advantage of unused deferral space in later years.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Vilgan posted:

New car is fine, just drive it until you are ready to retire. I always hear people throwing around 8-10 years per car or some nonsense, which blows my mind and would definitely slow down early retirement stuff.

I see a big difference in safety features over a 10 year period. In the grand scheme of things, paying an extra 2500 a year is more than worth it for my and my family's safety (25k OTD price/10 years). But that's a personal choice and I'm not judging someone for driving a 25 year old car around. If that amount pushes your retirement back by an appreciable amount of time, by all means scoff at that choice. However, not everyone's income and retirement plans are the same as yours so I wouldn't exactly say "definitely slow down early retirement stuff"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Queef posted:

I totally agree that paying above minimum on the car at 2% probably isn't ideal from a finance perspective, but it might be better psychologically. I would probably even put additional car principal at #7 and if 1-5 are maxed out, put it in a taxable account. Even with taxes on the earnings, I feel that beating 2% net of tax should be pretty doable, plus that money would be semi liquid.

Did you not read his first post or follow up posts? He pays off the Space Coast CC every month in full, the balance now is just how much he spent on it in the last month. He also has a 0% APR on the Discover Card and plans to pay it off in his next pay cycle.
Yeah, I read the posts, I was just trying to be thorough.

Inflation is dropping pretty quickly, so you may want to pay down principal on the car loan before making non-tax-deferred payments. Hard to say, I don't think either option could be pointed to as a big mistake without a functioning crystal ball.

Vilgan posted:

The main thing I would stress is that getting $$ into tax sheltered status is huge. When evaluating whether to pay off the car or put it into a 401k or Roth IRA, the "which will have the best return" is not the only relevant factor. You get X amount of tax sheltered space per year and it will go up a LOT slower than your salary will. So, try to max it out as early on in your career as possible and keep maxing it out. I think Thanatosian's priority list is a good one and paying off a 2% or even 4% debt is unimportant until you've maxed out your Roth IRA and your 401k deferral limits. There are lots of ways to get at that money before you turn 59.5, but no good ways to turn back the clock and take advantage of unused deferral space in later years.
Yeah, looking at it, I wasn't aware of the 72(t) option, or that you're allowed to use an IRA or 401k for health insurance premiums if you're unemployed. You lose some flexibility doing that, but it's probably worth it for the tax deferral.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 19, 2015

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I have a few questions about what impacts credit score.

Mainly, my wife and I need to know how to best address our current financial situation without damaging either of our credit. I guess damage is not the right word, but we're planning on starting to think about maybe looking for a house in the near future, so we want to make sure we don't lower our credit score or otherwise hurt our chances to get the best loan possible.

First, we both have good credit scores, and we both make good money and we have zero credit card debt. The only debt we have is a car loan and my student loans. One thing we discovered is that we had a little trouble getting the car loan, and the credit union said it was because my wife doesn't have a history of installment payments (despite her otherwise good credit score), so it was good that we found that out before we were looking at a mortgage. But they may have been very conservative, because we ended up going with financing from the dealer (lower rate) and they didn't even bat an eye.

So, I want to consolidate my student loans to get a single loan at a lower interest rate (and get the hell away from Navient). First, is this a good idea to do in general when planning to buy a house?

The other problem is that I'm pretty sure I won't get a good interest rate without having a co-signer. Which means I would need my wife to co-sign. So will I trash my wife's credit by putting her on as a co-signer?

And then we had a general credit question: Does increasing our credit card limits have any negative impact on our credit score? I know that in general, it's good to have a low utilization rate, which is helped by a high credit limit. We both are very good about our credit cards and very rarely carry a balance. My wife has only carried a balance once or twice in her life, actually. I've done it way more often, but I've always made more than the minimum payment.

But, she hasn't had her limit increased in a very long time, so she would like to do that just so she has credit available if necessary. I would like to as well, but in the context of us needing to use our credit in the next year or two, we want to make sure we don't do anything to potentially harm our credit. Given our income and credit scores, I think we both have headroom to bump our limits quite a bit. We have no intent on using the increased limits for any reason, but I'm unclear if it would help or hurt us, and right now we don't want to do anything that will set off red flags when trying to get a home loan.

Are there any other things we should be doing or avoiding with our credit?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
if you have good credit, why do you think you need a cosigner? A cosigner generally is for situations where you otherwise couldn't get the loan at all. Student loans are magic, unremovable loans and so getting a consolidation loan for them should be straightforward. You could also investigate a federal consolidation loan as long as at least one of your loans is federal, in which case there's no credit check at all. Most education consolidation loans are fixed rate products anyway; there are rarely different tiers for credit, even in variable situations.

In general, increasing your credit limits is a good idea because it lowers utilization. However, if you're about to buy a house, it can potentially backfire on you; if your available credit across all your accounts is too high, banks can get skittish (after all, you could go $xK into debt the day after closing and then how would you pay them?) -- so depending on how much of an increase you're talking about in relation to your incomes and how much house you're buying... might be a bad idea to increase the limit just to increase the limit.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There is no downside to refinancing a private student loan to get a lower rate, especially to get away from Navient. The effect on your credit score will not be significant since your total debt load is not changing so I wouldn't even worry about it. All it's going to do is add a hard pull on your credit report and a new account.

Get a quote for a consolidation rate and see how good it is. If you get rejected or the interest rate is not competitive, then think about a co-signer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

I have a few questions about what impacts credit score.

Mainly, my wife and I need to know how to best address our current financial situation without damaging either of our credit. I guess damage is not the right word, but we're planning on starting to think about maybe looking for a house in the near future, so we want to make sure we don't lower our credit score or otherwise hurt our chances to get the best loan possible.

First, we both have good credit scores, and we both make good money and we have zero credit card debt. The only debt we have is a car loan and my student loans. One thing we discovered is that we had a little trouble getting the car loan, and the credit union said it was because my wife doesn't have a history of installment payments (despite her otherwise good credit score), so it was good that we found that out before we were looking at a mortgage. But they may have been very conservative, because we ended up going with financing from the dealer (lower rate) and they didn't even bat an eye.

So, I want to consolidate my student loans to get a single loan at a lower interest rate (and get the hell away from Navient). First, is this a good idea to do in general when planning to buy a house?

The other problem is that I'm pretty sure I won't get a good interest rate without having a co-signer. Which means I would need my wife to co-sign. So will I trash my wife's credit by putting her on as a co-signer?
You should be careful with this; cosigning on a loan is a big deal. Especially a student loan, which isn't normally dischargeable in bankruptcy. If your wife were to cosign on the loan, and you were to get hit by a truck the next day, there are a couple of possible scenarios: 1) you do not have a death discharge clause in your loan, in which case she would be entirely responsible for the entire loan, or 2) you do have a death discharge clause in your loan, in which case the discharge could be considered a windfall for your wife, and she would possibly have to pay taxes on that "income." So, if it's a lot of debt, be hella careful, maybe talk to a tax accountant or something. At the very least, make sure you're carrying enough life insurance to cover her if something does happen.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Any good ideas about where to park my money that I'm saving for a down payment on a home?

Currently I've deposited it into Vanguard Roth IRAs and I'm probably a bit away from the goal, so I won't be buying in a year, but may be in three.

It's not clear how long the timeframe will be, so asking if anyone has input to add to my own thoughts (ETFs take on risk but would long run grow well and leave the earnings post-withdraw, bond index a bit safer so I don't worry as much about a quick dip in the next few years crushing the plan, etc).

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
First of all, save up for the downpayment AND fund your IRA - don't waste your tax protected long term savings space on a house. Keep the house money in a savings account or CDs if you're going to be using it in in the short term (3-5 years). Second, do some more reading about investment portfolios - ETFs and bonds aren't opposite things. Your basic options beyond cash are stocks and bonds, and you can obtain both via ETFs or via mutual funds. See the books in the OP of the retirement thread, maybe. What is in your IRA right now?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

slap me silly posted:

First of all, save up for the downpayment AND fund your IRA - don't waste your tax protected long term savings space on a house. Keep the house money in a savings account or CDs if you're going to be using it in in the short term (3-5 years). Second, do some more reading about investment portfolios - ETFs and bonds aren't opposite things. Your basic options beyond cash are stocks and bonds, and you can obtain both via ETFs or via mutual funds. See the books in the OP of the retirement thread, maybe. What is in your IRA right now?

If my savings goes long enough that I won't need to touch the IRA funds at all, that would be great, but otherwise we're working on the plan of a being a priority over maxing the Roth each year. Rather than have it sit in a saving account (our status quo), I transferred the max into an opened IRA (to qualify as last year's prior to April 15th).

Basically we have a relatively small pile of money, enough to max IRA contributions for me and my wife last year and probably easily max it for 2015, but where I keep that money is my concern= either savings account or something that can earn relatively low tax-advantaged earnings (and if it takes >4 more years to save up for what we want, I can access those funds tax free, so I leaned that way).

But yeah, I was using ETF synonymous with Stock Index Funds there, sorry for the confusion.

So basically as I see it, the down payment is priority over the Roth IRA, and there's not enough flow to cover both adequately in the time period we'd like, so putting it in the Roth IRA bucket means I can a) qualify for home buyer 10k from earnings in 5 years, b) if I back out of wanting to buy a house I got tax sheltered accounts in great shape, and c)if I earn more than the contribution amount and end up not needing to touch it, I won't have to so I get to let it compound.

I don't care much about the psychological separation of account types, but I do care about flexibility and long run growth and striking a balance between those two that fit our needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bisty Q. posted:

if you have good credit, why do you think you need a cosigner? A cosigner generally is for situations where you otherwise couldn't get the loan at all. Student loans are magic, unremovable loans and so getting a consolidation loan for them should be straightforward. You could also investigate a federal consolidation loan as long as at least one of your loans is federal, in which case there's no credit check at all. Most education consolidation loans are fixed rate products anyway; there are rarely different tiers for credit, even in variable situations.

I tried to consolidate back in 2009 or so (right after everyone got out of the consolidation game), and I got rejected outright on my own, so I assumed that I would need a co-signer. I'm making a lot more now, though, and the balance on my loans is a lot lower, so maybe that'll change things a bit. From my perspective, not much has changed except for those things...I was, and still am, gainfully employed in a stable job in my field of study.

And unfortunately, I paid my federal loans off years ago. All I have left are private loans through Aunt Sallie.

Basically I want to get the best interest rate possible in order to minimize long-term cost. I ran the numbers and if I consolidate ALL my loans, regardless of interest rate, I would need to get better than 5.25% (variable...if I could get that fixed, that would be outstanding). That can probably go higher if I selectively consolidate the loans that are higher than whatever interest rate they offer me, but frankly I'd rather pay a slightly higher interest to get the hell away from Navient.

But I do see the point about co-signing. I don't want to saddle my wife with that, but there's no point in consolidating if I can't lower my interest rate.

quote:

In general, increasing your credit limits is a good idea because it lowers utilization. However, if you're about to buy a house, it can potentially backfire on you; if your available credit across all your accounts is too high, banks can get skittish (after all, you could go $xK into debt the day after closing and then how would you pay them?) -- so depending on how much of an increase you're talking about in relation to your incomes and how much house you're buying... might be a bad idea to increase the limit just to increase the limit.

Is there any magic number or rule of thumb for available credit as a percentage of income before lenders start looking at you funny? Or is that too much to hope for? I don't know about my wife, but personally I have a couple credit cards that I never use and would prefer to close if it weren't for the fact that I've had one since 2004 and another since 2008. I have at least 1 store credit line that I could close out, but that has a nice, and more recent, payment history on it (wife's engagement ring...).