Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I like, skeletons, and getting owned by skeletons

i like skeletons, as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Awesome! posted:

it's like the master encryption key. if it were really leaked you would be able to break the console's security wide open

this is what happened with the ps3

Yeah decryption. Now on-disc files can be poked around, but not edited and rebuilt. There are encrypted Wii U backups so now people can view their file systems. Maybe in time it will happen with the system files and a PS3 scenario isn't too far away, but still not guaranteed. The key itself is not enough for piracy or homebrew.

DrPaper posted:

It has and some people already have. That's why we've been able to crack open and change all this stuff in Mario Kart and Smash. There was just a video last week of the unused 4th custom moves for fighters (all hitboxless animations) in Smash.

E: Nevermind this wasn't with the encryption key, but it has been leaked.

The Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. hackers have never revealed how they did what they did. I also don't know how the people on tcrf.net have found unused stuff. There was another important key before this and there's one more to go.
That Smash video is cool though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ce9K1xaaAY

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I guess that means it'll be possible to break the region lock, like with a modded Wii? That'll be nice if Atlus ever decide to make a Wii U game

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Please buy officially licensed Nintendo Wii U video game software so that Nintendo can continue developing cute games, thank you.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Well first of all the other dude you quoted is a dumb (no offense, man). DaS isn't some miracle of game design, but there's a lot of really stellar stuff done in it, both in terms of boss fighting and area layout. I suppose that, from the standpoint of someone who loves games but enjoys them fairly casually, sure, it's as simple as "This game is really hard I almost want to give it up but man I feel so good when I win!!!" But if you look past that, you'll find a game that's 2 parts well-designed and structured, and 1 part kind of a mess (Bed of Chaos, Lost Izalith, the final boss, that crystal area, Tomb of Giants ugghhhh). Holding it against many other games I've played, I think that it stands up quite tall, however. It doesn't have the consistent level of quality that I've come to expect from, say, Nintendo, I guess, but a game is allowed to have faults, even many faults, without being trash, especially when what it does well is generally done very well.

Also the comparison of Dark Souls to CoD is completely nonsensical. Dark Souls is designed primarily as a single-player experience, and very specific combat encounters with very specific level layouts play very specifically into that. Please stop making me defend a PS3/PC game in the Wii U thread, TIA.

The 3 Dark Souls/Demons Souls games do next to nothing to advance them. Even then, they are very generic "fantasy" type games. None of those games have any inspiring art direction, just like COD has absolutely no inspiring art direction. They both get by on being slightly different generic versions of their genre. COD keeps its audience by making them play multiplayer and level for no discernible reason. Dark/Demon Souls does the same thing except single player. The story doesn't matter, the settings are less than a dime a dozen, and the combat, especially bosses, are difficult for the sake of being difficult, for again no reason beyond "this is what makes videogame/strategy addicts run."

It's 3 games of bland settings, bland visuals, less than bland story, and deliberately frustrating combat. Throw in just enough micro managing, and it's the McDonalds hamburger of action RPGs in form and selective enough in difficulty to guarantee a formula that is easily digestible enough in artistic direction for everyone and addictive enough in difficulty/reward to keep those same people hooked.

To use the comparison I just invoked, it's a McDonalds hamburger, as deliberately formulaic in its blandness and addictiveness, only to a different consumer. It's a mediocre game that has maximized its reward response in those people that are susceptible to it. It's a McDonalds hamburger:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Fremry posted:

The 3 Dark Souls/Demons Souls games do next to nothing to advance them. Even then, they are very generic "fantasy" type games. None of those games have any inspiring art direction, just like COD has absolutely no inspiring art direction. They both get by on being slightly different generic versions of their genre. COD keeps its audience by making them play multiplayer and level for no discernible reason. Dark/Demon Souls does the same thing except single player. The story doesn't matter, the settings are less than a dime a dozen, and the combat, especially bosses, are difficult for the sake of being difficult, for again no reason beyond "this is what makes videogame/strategy addicts run."

It's 3 games of bland settings, bland visuals, less than bland story, and deliberately frustrating combat. Throw in just enough micro managing, and it's the McDonalds hamburger of action RPGs in form and selective enough in difficulty to guarantee a formula that is easily digestible enough in artistic direction for everyone and addictive enough in difficulty/reward to keep those same people hooked.

To use the comparison I just invoked, it's a McDonalds hamburger, as deliberately formulaic in its blandness and addictiveness, only to a different consumer. It's a mediocre game that has maximized its reward response in those people that are susceptible to it. It's a McDonalds hamburger:

you're really angry about video games

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fremry posted:

Did a Souls game kill your dog or something?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you wanna go complain about the Souls games, do it in any of the Souls games' threads or in PYF's things dragging games down thread. Please leave the hate out of the thread about cute games for cute gamers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fremry posted:

Finally, someone had the balls to to say what we were all thinking.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fremry posted:

I think Dark Souls evangelists are annoying as gently caress.

This is still the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted about Dark Souls, and by far the dumbest thing posted in a thread where you have dozens of people who post white noise 'cute games!!!!!!!' constantly.

Congrats.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This isn't cute. This isn't cute at all.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

majormonotone posted:

you're really angry about video games

Nope, just been playing videogames for 27 years and am extremely tired of mediocre games that are considered great because people can't tell when a game is good and when a game is addictive. By the same criterion, Candy Crush is, literally, the best video game that has ever been made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One time I played Demon's Souls for a few hours and it was pretty fun. I should get back to it sometime.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Dark Souls is a Good Game but everyone who talks Dark Souks positive or negative are literally The Worst.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fremry posted:

been playing videogames for 27 years

Please everyone post your video-game credentials if you wish to keep talking about cute games. Tia.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fremry posted:

I am going to play Dark SOuls now. Now I just gotta find my 369 Breakaway cable!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fremry posted:

You know, one of my problems with Dark Souls is that mostly everything is brown and grey high-fantasy poo poo that's been done to death but there's some really unique environments and bosses in the games that awesome but you sound really really loving angry about the games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wild Knight posted:

Dark Souls is a Good Game but everyone who talks Dark Souks positive or negative are literally The Worst.

Dark Souls is not a good game. It's a mediocre game, and I'm always incredibly surprised when people who are critical of other games don't say it. It's not a bad game, it's a 5/10 game. It's acceptable.

Art direction? Tired, extremely bland and absolutely without a doubt derivative. No enemy in that game goes beyond the creative mind of "stick (fantasy creature) to (fantasy creature)." Demon Souls is sooooo dark that you can't even see the bland derivative settings and creatures of Dark Souls 1 and 2. Make combat sluggish and then base your weapon and armor system on micro managing how much more sluggish that combat becomes, and TAH-DAH!!! Apparently that makes an A+ game!

I hate fantasy games, and there is no fantasy game I've ever encountered that was less inspired in design or story than those games.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

Nope, just been playing videogames for 27 years and am extremely tired of mediocre games that are considered great because people can't tell when a game is good and when a game is addictive. By the same criterion, Candy Crush is, literally, the best video game that has ever been made.
Dark Souls is really not an addictive game, in my experience. It is a single-player experience first and foremost. I acknowledge that the reason the game is as popular as it is is quite cheap (welcome to common consumption of video games!), but that doesn't mean the game itself is inherently cheap or shallow.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Dark Souls is tearing us apart! Hurry, Nintendo Direct—save the thread!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Dark Souls is really not an addictive game, in my experience. It is a single-player experience first and foremost. I acknowledge that the reason the game is as popular as it is is quite cheap (welcome to common consumption of video games!), but that doesn't mean the game itself is inherently cheap or shallow.

But it is, and you know it is. Especially as someone like you who likes strategy games, it does just enough of every genre it tries to be to be shallow. Nothing in that series of games beyond managing how grotesquely your character moves and attacks is deep.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
you're only proving my point

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fremry posted:

But it is, and you know it is. Especially as someone like you who likes strategy games, it does just enough of every genre it tries to be to be shallow. Nothing in that series of games beyond managing how grotesquely your character moves and attacks is deep.

Okay dude

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Fremry posted:

Dark Souls is not a good game. It's a mediocre game, and I'm always incredibly surprised when people who are critical of other games don't say it. It's not a bad game, it's a 5/10 game. It's acceptable.

Art direction? Tired, extremely bland and absolutely without a doubt derivative. No enemy in that game goes beyond the creative mind of "stick (fantasy creature) to (fantasy creature)." Demon Souls is sooooo dark that you can't even see the bland derivative settings and creatures of Dark Souls 1 and 2. Make combat sluggish and then base your weapon and armor system on micro managing how much more sluggish that combat becomes, and TAH-DAH!!! Apparently that makes an A+ game!

I hate fantasy games, and there is no fantasy game I've ever encountered that was less inspired in design or story than those games.

Woah you gotta micro-manage in an action game, my mind is blown.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Captain Toad is nintnedo's Dark souls, dicsuss

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So hey, how about that Nintendo direct tomorrow? Think we'll get Smash bros. info??

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I like, skeletons, and getting owned by skeletons

i've been thinking about this, and more video games need skeletons that aren't enemies. whether its friendly npcs or playable characters or w/e, it would be nice to see skeletons treated with more respect, i think

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone just mentioned Dark Souls as a joke and this happens. Is this game series the games forum equivalent of mentioning Prometheus in Cinema Discusso?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

greatn posted:

Someone just mentioned Dark Souls as a joke and this happens. Is this game series the games forum equivalent of mentioning Prometheus in Cinema Discusso?

I dunno. Just seems like one guy poo poo posting and needing to voice his opinion in a stickied thread.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Falsum posted:

Woah you gotta micro-manage in an action game, my mind is blown.

A bland bland action game that can only be called fantasy because it can't come up with enemies that haven't been used by the fantasy genre in the past 100 years. Also, they can't even steal fantasy settings beyond cave, temple and mountain.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

sharrrk posted:

i've been thinking about this, and more video games need skeletons that aren't enemies. whether its friendly npcs or playable characters or w/e, it would be nice to see skeletons treated with more respect, i think

let me tell you about roundabout

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

I'll say again that Dark Souls is quite flawed, but when it elects to focus on what works - placement and tiered level design - it excels. When it tries to be about reflex or, God forbid, platforming, it falls flat on its butt. But the pace at which the game progresses is quite brisk, and the general layout of the world and how it interconnects makes it very satisfying to explore and understand. It's why the first part of the game is generally considered much better than the second

God dangit I meant the second

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 14, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mummies are cooler than skeletons and Captain Toad is full of mummies.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

majormonotone posted:

i've played it. its a good game with a good skeleton. other game developers should take note

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

I'll say again that Dark Souls is quite flawed, but when it elects to focus on what works - placement and tiered level design - it excels. When it tries to be about reflex or, God forbid, platforming, it falls flat on its butt. But the pace at which the game progresses is quite brisk, and the general layout of the world and how it interconnects makes it very satisfying to explore and understand. It's why the first part of the game is generally considered much better than the first.

What do you mean by placement and tiered level design? I can't stand the level design (convoluted for the sake of being convoluted), or the actual settings which are the most boring settings I've seen in a game since the descructible walls of the original Red Faction for PS2.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

majormonotone posted:

Roundabout is a good game. I need to finish it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Close thread until 9am EST please mod.

e: thx

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Or, and this is just a thought, Fremry takes bitching about Dark/Demon Souls to one of the five current threads in games alone solely dedicated to talking about them and shuts the gently caress up in the WiiU thread. A system the games are not on and will never be on.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Someone has an opinion that isn't super happy! Close the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls, guy who continues to write paragraph after paragraph about it.

• Locked thread