Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Some YG kids got me back my wallet more than any cop has ever done for me. Protected.me too, when the cops cracked down on corner kids is the only time someone who wasn't a cop physically assaulted me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Shbobdb posted:

Some YG kids got me back my wallet more than any cop has ever done for me. Protected.me too, when the cops cracked down on corner kids is the only time someone who wasn't a cop physically assaulted me.

I bet a local gang wouldn't make fun of you for getting raped.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Being a dude makes that less of a concern for me, but my wife is a social worker who deals with rape survivors and the cops ain't no picnic. It isn't perfect, but I'd trust local talent over cops. Granted, neither can do much.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

See, it's all the same gig. Cops are gangsters and gangsters protect the neighborhood. I'll go with the local boys every time.
I hate paying two parties for the same service, though.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

captainblastum posted:

Wow. One of the GiP cops just admitted to covering up a rape like it was a funny story:

Research the elements of the crime of sexual assault (may be labeled differently in your state). When you've successfully identified all the required elements and state of mind required to charge the offense, review the scenario that was posted and identify whether or not the elements of the crime and mental state were present and probable cause exists for an arrest or warrant.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Research the elements of the crime of sexual assault (may be labeled differently in your state). When you've successfully identified all the required elements and state of mind required to charge the offense, review the scenario that was posted and identify whether or not the elements of the crime and mental state were present and probable cause exists for an arrest or warrant.

And, if you decide that no probable cause exists, proceed to ridicule the "victim" on the internet.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Even if the state of mind is somehow wrong, you do not loving mock the person or someone who likely has the experience and formation to get what is, exactly, sexual assault due to experience that doesn't amount to awkwardly waving guns at rape survivors and making sexually charged jokes and passes at arrested prostitutes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7178&context=jclc

quote:

However, on January 6, 2003, the
California Supreme Court held in a 6-1 opinion that John was a rapist. 22 In
doing so, the court interpreted the state's rape statute to include situations
where the victim initially consents to intercourse, but then withdraws her
consent after penetration.23

Not applicable everywhere, but yes, seems to be illegal in a lot of places (at least from what cursory research I did), and certainly not a hilarious anecdote about it not being "rape rape" to share with your friends.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grey Fox posted:

I hate paying two parties for the same service, though.

That's why I'm all for the elimination of the police. Plus, gangbangers are a lot less threatening. If I have a beef with a gangbanger, that doesn't show up on my record for the sake of employment. If I have a beef with a cop, it could. I've been lucky with the DA but that is never a guarantee.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

SurgicalOntologist posted:

And, if you decide that no probable cause exists, proceed to ridicule the "victim" on the internet.

I imagine the rub is the woman would have to press charges?

There is still so much awesome cop in that story:
1) Ridiculing potential victims.
2) Making sure everyone knew he got to big time a doctor. The jealous little man syndrome on display.
3) Casual racism.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

quote:

The effort of reformers over the last several decades has led to the
criminalization of some types of unwanted, non-consensual sex; however,
most states do not criminalize that conduct, or only do so in a limited
fashion.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7410&context=jclc

Some shithole states still require a victim to physically resist to escalate an incident to sexual assault. Saying "No" isn't enough. Got to get yourself a black eye and a broken nose before the government cares enough to believe a victim.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Guys. Never listen to doctors talk about their patients in the break room.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I for one am shocked that there are posters in GiP might possibly have a problem recognizing and empathizing with rape victims. Absolutely shocked. http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/09242013_Statutory_Enforcement_Report_Sexual_Assault_in_the_Military.pdf

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Vahakyla posted:

I mean what with HIPPA and all..

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Vahakyla posted:

Doctors have a much lower rate of thrill-kills per capita.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I think you'll see that if you look at the law this traumatized person isn't technically a rape victim.

Furthermore,

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I will never really judge people for black humor. When Public Defenders go out to lunch we try to not sit near people. We've joked about worse, but then our jokes are actually funny.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Was he actually trying to be funny? I thought he was just complaining about a doctor (who didn't understand the law) telling him how to do his job.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know an army medic on Facebook, his idea of comedy is a picture of a guy getting a catheter inserted through a bullet hole in his throat.

edit: and the usual "stupid civilians think THIS!" stuff.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 14, 2015

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

nm posted:

I will never really judge people for black humor. When Public Defenders go out to lunch we try to not sit near people. We've joked about worse, but then our jokes are actually funny.

Really anyone who deals with other people directly for work will do similar things. I consider it generally harmless venting. It's really context and outcome that makes the distinction. Ex. "I'm gonna shoot this guy in the penis with a shotgun." and then the guy ends up shot with that shotgun.

repeating fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 14, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KernelSlanders posted:

Was he actually trying to be funny? I thought he was just complaining about a doctor (who didn't understand the law) telling him how to do his job.

I dunno, cop humor is iffy to begin with.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

repeating posted:

Anyone who deals with...really anyone who deals with other people directly for work will do similar things. I consider it generally harmless venting. It's really context and outcome that makes the distinction. Ex. "I'm gonna shoot this guy in the penis with a shotgun." and then the guy ends up shot with that shotgun.

I know lots of folks with jobs that give them dark humor but what they find funny is also usually insightful.

And supposedly the punchline was that it was a Pakistani doctor that was shocked by the poor treatment of a rape victim.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Police Departments should stop purchasing loving Dodge Chargers & Ford Taurus, the officers emerge cranky because of those clown cars.

Oh the other side, non-cops should stop purchasing crown vics. I hate that moment of "Oh poo poo, cop behind me and I'm going 8 mph over! Oh wait, it's just some dude with bad taste in cars."

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Oh the other side, non-cops should stop purchasing crown vics. I hate that moment of "Oh poo poo, cop behind me and I'm going 8 mph over! Oh wait, it's just some dude with bad taste in cars."

I live next door to a guy who sells all kinds of drugs out of his garage and one day I noticed that an all black Crown Vic with blacked out windows had been parked across the street almost every day and with a bit of paranoia assumed it was an undercover cop watching the place. Turns out it belongs to the neighbor's friend who comes over every day to sell weed while hanging out, makes it pretty easy to know when I can pickup. :350:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PostNouveau posted:

Aren't they so widespread from police departments putting old crown vics on police auction where people get them cheap?

And some departments pamper their vehicles if they can so they might not feel that worn.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
"Homeboy" is like a hundred times more transparent than "thug".

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

KernelSlanders posted:

He seems genuinely confused about the sexual assault statute in question. Even with the bare bones force + lack of consent = rape statute, I've yet to find a jurisdiction where absent some pretty special facts, plowing someone in the rear end after they say stop is legal. It's not like there's a no take backsies rule in rape.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Technically it's sodomy, depending on the state. Still a felony and at the very very least you do a report and turn it over to a Detective.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hardbody posted:

Technically it's sodomy, depending on the state. Still a felony and at the very very least you do a report and turn it over to a Detective.

assuming the state differentiates sexual assault from forcible sodomy, but the definitions of force are, in my experience, the same in both and are interpreted pretty liberally. Like there's case law that say a person's superior size is "implied force"

(as well it should because a person who doesn't fight back because she's afraid of making her attacker angry and violent but says "no" nonetheless should still be protected. No means no. Not a hard concept.)

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
My point was more that the law has some really silly definitions of rape in some states.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hardbody posted:

My point was more that the law has some really silly definitions of rape in some states.

yeah, but you have to look to the case law too.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Just sayin' , there are some states where it is legally impossible for a man to be raped (rape requires carnal knowledge). That tends to blow a lot of people's minds. That said, you usually just charge the suspect with Aggravated Sodomy or Sexual Battery.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hardbody posted:

Just sayin' , there are some states where it is legally impossible for a man to be raped (rape requires carnal knowledge). That tends to blow a lot of people's minds. That said, you usually just charge the suspect with Aggravated Sodomy or Sexual Battery.

right, but the point is that there is a substantive equivalent...so whether it's "rape" "sexual assault" "sexual abuse" "sexual battery" "forcible sodomy" or whatever, it's still illegal to keep loving someone who said no. I got admittedly sloppy in my terminology, but my point was that the facts described above are still illegal so telling the doctor "whatever...there wasn't force so he gets to plow her butt" was not correct.

If that's not true in Canada, remind me never to move to the great white northern rapeland.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014

ActusRhesus posted:

right, but the point is that there is a substantive equivalent...so whether it's "rape" "sexual assault" "sexual abuse" "sexual battery" "forcible sodomy" or whatever, it's still illegal to keep loving someone who said no. I got admittedly sloppy in my terminology, but my point was that the facts described above are still illegal so telling the doctor "whatever...there wasn't force so he gets to plow her butt" was not correct.

If that's not true in Canada, remind me never to move to the great white northern rapeland.

I'm not disagreeing with you that no means no. We are agreeing with each other.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hardbody posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you that no means no. We are agreeing with each other.

I know. I just like to hear myself talk.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ActusRhesus posted:

I just like to hear myself talk.
The most honest thing a lawyer has ever said.

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
Not to be disruptive but the pigs in GIP hate this thread and probably conspired to take its last iteration down (as if this isn't common knowledge)

In other words, keep up the good work!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Drad_Bert posted:

Not to be disruptive but the pigs in GIP hate this thread and probably conspired to take its last iteration down (as if this isn't common knowledge)

In other words, keep up the good work!

power hungry bullies defend other power hungry bullies, film at 11

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

He seems genuinely confused about the sexual assault statute in question. Even with the bare bones force + lack of consent = rape statute, I've yet to find a jurisdiction where absent some pretty special facts, plowing someone in the rear end after they say stop is legal. It's not like there's a no take backsies rule in rape.

A Pakistani doctor was trying to tell him a woman was raped. There's nothing in that sentence his sensibilities could abide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you wonder why police respond to situations the way they do:

“[Dinkheller] was polite and gave the [Brannan] every possible chance to comply, and for his troubles he was shot nine times in the chest, abdomen, arms and legs. Then he had the killer stand over him and say “die fucker!” and was executed by a shot to the right eye. That video was then played to every new cop in the country. Every cop can find a bit of himself in Deputy Dinkheller.

“If there was ever a moment when a young cop said “Oh poo poo…this is for real, this isn’t just a way to get out of speeding tickets and retire at 55″ it’s from watching that video for the first time” said Officer Valentine.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/the-man-responsible-for-the-dashcam-video-that-changed-everything-has-been-executed/

And then just from a few weeks ago:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/27842220/2015/01/13/police-camera-shows-final-moments-before-man-killed-flagstaff-officer

Polite and reasonable just like you all want the police to be, and he's killed in an instant.

• Locked thread