Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Present posted:

Also that guy that said it looks kinda gross has got to be some kind of autist.

Sorry I don't like crappy fast food pizza that much I guess? It looks super mediocre, and I like to cook so it looks 'kinda gross'. As in, edible but probably not very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hahahahaha jesus christ that pizza looks like milky poo poo, saying it looks terrible totally means you've got autism yup

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I used to work at the only coffee shop in a tiny Missouri college town. The University itself is a rather progressive liberal arts school. Despite this, the owner could not be convinced to take down the bible verses in frames or the bibles laid out on the tables. There also was an obscene amount of worship music running 24/7. Students and customers actively complained about how alienating it was.

Instead, she blamed her failing business on the Starbucks that opened in the grocery store a mile away.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Sorry I don't like crappy fast food pizza that much I guess? It looks super mediocre, and I like to cook so it looks 'kinda gross'. As in, edible but probably not very tasty.
I don't think you know what "gross" means.

Alouicious posted:

hahahahaha jesus christ that pizza looks like milky poo poo, saying it looks terrible totally means you've got autism yup

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tiggum posted:

I think you know what "normal" means.

No one puts cheese on top of toppings. Thats why they're calling toppings.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

On the note of terrible superbowl ads there was a shoe company whose ad was basically two white guys in a truck running down a black guy. It was their only major tv spot, made them look racist, and cratered their business to oblivion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fDLMKsf6U

They actually tried to sue their ad agency after the inevitable backlash but dropped the suit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_For_Feet#Super_Bowl_ad_controversy

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cage posted:

Cheese is a topping :colbert:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
All Im saying is quit gettin mad at pizzas.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cage posted:

gently caress you cheese goes on top. Then you broil it for five minutes to crisp it up.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Cage posted:

All Im saying is quit gettin mad at pizzas.

I have eaten a lot of pizza in my time and :words:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I remember that Dominos had to drop their "30 minutes or it's free!" promotion because their delivery boys were getting into wrecks.

Morten Harket
Apr 22, 2005

Saint Harket

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Regional lawyers always amuse me, this guy in particular. He has gone through a total "urban" re-branding the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcBk8GrM270
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HylrXQBB1xY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLrWyCw_MI

I guess as a dirty white devil I don't get it. How does lovely rap equate to a lawyer ?

Jesus, Mike Hostilo. (Hello fellow local.) He went through a few different styles of music, like a country music theme song, and he seems to have settled on rap. Unfortunately I drive past his Derenne Ave office twice a day back and forth to my daughter's school, so that poo poo is my head all the drat time.
"Call 7-4-8 M-I-K-E, Mike Hostilo!"

Didn't an extremely embarrassing and cheesy local lawyer ad play during last year's Super Bowl? That was just awful.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
My favourite local radio station only has about three ads - a local historic brewery, a recording studio, a slightly dodgy sound website and a government advice website about money, Most of them sound like they were recorded in someone's shed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember a local business advertising on a billboard in my town. I think it was called coupon ninja or something, but the ad was a gangly white dude with the creepiest eyes leering out of the corner with a word bubble that said "I love to help the ladies!" It was just skeevy.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Nissan/Renault's CEO did an AMA on reddit as a marketing thing. Then he decided that he didn't want to answer any new questions so he created a bunch of new accounts so he could ask questions to himself. Not realizing that literally anyone can see the accounts that actually got their questions answered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2s7obx/im_the_ceo_of_renault_and_nissan_and_were_making/

Pretty fun stuff

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw it's totally possible for someone to say "I'll pray for you" and be really passive aggressive about it. They can even do it publicly via their place of business and turn it into a dumb homegrown marketing move!

Although I guess in some places the act of filling your storefront windows with rants about "facists" might be a good marketing move.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/red_black_cafe_shows_portland.html

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I used to work at the only coffee shop in a tiny Missouri college town. The University itself is a rather progressive liberal arts school. Despite this, the owner could not be convinced to take down the bible verses in frames or the bibles laid out on the tables. There also was an obscene amount of worship music running 24/7. Students and customers actively complained about how alienating it was.

Instead, she blamed her failing business on the Starbucks that opened in the grocery store a mile away.

You've got to want to go out of business if you got a bunch of art majors to stop frequenting the quaint little family owned coffe shop and head to godless Starbucks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Flaskraven posted:

Nissan/Renault's CEO did an AMA on reddit as a marketing thing. Then he decided that he didn't want to answer any new questions so he created a bunch of new accounts so he could ask questions to himself. Not realizing that literally anyone can see the accounts that actually got their questions answered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2s7obx/im_the_ceo_of_renault_and_nissan_and_were_making/

Pretty fun stuff

Or maybe the guy posted about it on twitter first and some people registered reddit accounts to ask questions?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or maybe the guy posted about it on twitter first and some people registered reddit accounts to ask questions?

Somebody actually took the time to compile a list of the questions that got answered, and only three of the twenty were from brand new accounts, so it's not exactly "a bunch" and it was probably some interns or people who registered to ask, not the actual loving CEO sockpuppeting himself.

The other 17 were already relatively established reddit accounts and I wouldn't exactly call it a gigantic dumbass move.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Even if the questions themselves aren't planted, people notice when the only questions answered are the ones that let a company spew its main talking points.

JollityFarm
Dec 29, 2011
I think that that sign would be a selling point for the Red and Black, if memory of the place and its clientele serves.

Anyway. Content.
I'm the kind of person who has to change the channel when that "IN THE AAAAAARMS OF AN ANGEL" ASPCA commercial airs. My heartstrings are so easily pulled. I weep openly at the drop of a hat and am probably the person this ad was supposed to target. That said, it's so brazenly, SHAMELESSLY, a ploy to emotionally manipulate the viewer, I can only feel searing rage watching it. CHEERIOS WON'T BRING YOUR loving NANA BACK, TOMMY. :catstare:
The Youtube comments suggest I'm totally alone in my hatred for this commercial? I thought I'd share it here on the off-chance any other goons had their Project Runway marathons rudely interrupted by a child facing the inevitability of death over a bowl of wholesome Cheerios (r).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I want to say this was 10-15 years ago now, but does anyone remember the shoe commercial (possibly Nike) where a woman was on the run from a Jason-type serial killer? Lots of backlash, even media attention because people felt the commercial glorified violence against women, even though I remember the point was she got away (I may be misremembering that though).

Another one from that time period was for an SUV. A couple is talking about buying a "family vehicle" while mom's getting an ultrasound. They're so engrossed in car talk they fail to notice the very developed fetus having a silent conniption because SUVs are "uncool." The couple then talk about the hip SUV which calms junior down. The fetus was super uncanny looking, so that combined with it being all in green and black to represent the ultrasound was unnerving and off-putting. I always assumed the commercial got pulled because I didn't see it out for long. I'd love to see it again and see how the CGI holds up!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I remember the Jason commercial. Newsweek even did a little article on it, IIRC.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

The talk a couple pages back about the weird rear end print adverts that gaming companies loved to put out reminded me of this thing.

In case you can't read that, the text in the corner repeats "I will not mate outside my species". So umm buy a Sega Dreamcast so you too can gently caress a fish?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

JollityFarm posted:

I'm the kind of person who has to change the channel when that "IN THE AAAAAARMS OF AN ANGEL" ASPCA commercial airs. My heartstrings are so easily pulled. I weep openly at the drop of a hat and am probably the person this ad was supposed to target. That said, it's so brazenly, SHAMELESSLY, a ploy to emotionally manipulate the viewer, I can only feel searing rage watching it.

This loving commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56b09ZyLaWk

It's advocating against drinking and driving which is good, but the combination of sentiment and shoehorning a Budweiser into all the shots is pretty shameless.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Anyone remember this old Sears A/C commercial ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEQEPUJP8M

Seriously it ran constantly for like 10-15 years. Why bother making a new commercial when you can use the same one for over a decade?

"You said you'd call Sears yesterday"
"I'll call today"
"You'll call now"
"... I'll call now"

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rare Collectable posted:

The talk a couple pages back about the weird rear end print adverts that gaming companies loved to put out reminded me of this thing.

In case you can't read that, the text in the corner repeats "I will not mate outside my species". So umm buy a Sega Dreamcast so you too can gently caress a fish?

Ahahaha, I'd nearly forgotten about this ad. I've gotta go watch the Freelance Astronauts LP of this again.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Morton Harket posted:

Jesus, Mike Hostilo. (Hello fellow local.) He went through a few different styles of music, like a country music theme song, and he seems to have settled on rap. Unfortunately I drive past his Derenne Ave office twice a day back and forth to my daughter's school, so that poo poo is my head all the drat time.
"Call 7-4-8 M-I-K-E, Mike Hostilo!"

Didn't an extremely embarrassing and cheesy local lawyer ad play during last year's Super Bowl? That was just awful.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Anyone remember this old Sears A/C commercial ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEQEPUJP8M

Seriously it ran constantly for like 10-15 years. Why bother making a new commercial when you can use the same one for over a decade?

"You said you'd call Sears yesterday"
"I'll call today"
"You'll call now"
"... I'll call now"

That commercial brings back memories. I remember coming back from college to visit my family, seeing that ad on TV, and wondering if I'd fallen into some kind of time warp.

e: all those Dutch angles :psyduck:

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jan 14, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Rare Collectable posted:

Why were video game ads in the 90s so gross and bizarre? Was it a "market research shows 18-35 year old males like this" thing?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
gently caress you, I managed to forget that lovely Sears commercial, but just reading the dialogue was enough for me to remember like the whole thing without even watching the video. It's like the Kars for Kids jingle or the FedEx arrow, you'll never forget it no matter how much you want to.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kellsterik posted:

Why were video game ads in the 90s so gross and bizarre? Was it a "market research shows 18-35 year old males like this" thing?

Video games in the 90s were way more niche. Imagine what advertising today would look like if you were only appealing to neckbeard MRA types.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember that Dominos had to drop their "30 minutes or it's free!" promotion because their delivery boys were getting into wrecks.

It was hosed up because rather then simply write off missed deliveries as overhead they held each driver accountable for the cash value of the pizza. So of course you're going to speed 60 mph in a neighborhood to get there on time because otherwise your next paycheck is short $20-30, and that's every delivery you do. Imagine having to deliver 3-4 pizzas and the first person spends 2-3 minutes trying to find the correct change and now you're racing against the clock to make sure you'll get the last ones sent out, and then the 2nd to last guy tries to argue it's been 30 minutes when its only 22 and you can either let him take it and not pay and hope you make the 4th.

It works perfectly from a business management standpoint, but it completely fucks over the drivers forcing them to drive dangerously to get paid.

quote:

Starting in 1973, Domino's Pizza had a guarantee that customers would receive their pizzas within 30 minutes of placing an order or they would receive the pizzas free. The guarantee was reduced to $3 off in the mid 1980s. In 1992, the company settled a lawsuit brought by the family of an Indiana woman who had been killed by a Domino's delivery driver, paying the family $2.8 million. In another 1993 lawsuit, brought by a woman who was injured when a Domino's delivery driver ran a red light and collided with her vehicle, the woman was awarded nearly $80 million, but accepted a payout of $15 million.[59] The guarantee was dropped that same year because of the "public perception of reckless driving and irresponsibility", according to then-CEO Tom Monaghan

It took 20 years and was only dropped because Dominos suddenly realized it could be held liable from what drivers do in Domino's delivery cars.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Those terrible lawyer commercials reminded me of an old classic for anyone who has ever visited Arkansas.

I present to you: Attorney Hal Cook, complete with a rapping, CG dude so terrible he makes ReBoot look like Toy Story 3 by comparison.

http://youtu.be/cqEou5hpDak

ps reboot owns

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
All the talk over the past few pages about commercials with inappropriate music reminded me of one.

I can't find a video of it for the life of me, but recently, Animal Planet was running a promo using the opening instrumental part of Kanye West's Black Skinhead.

The song's about Kanye's experiences with racism in America, and these days, Animal Planet is essentially Rednecks Doing Redneck Things: The Channel (from what I've seen). I mean the drums are cool and all but christ, that's some disconnect.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

FuhrerHat posted:

So was there no class-action suit against McDonalds for that monopoly bullshit?
I specifically went there as a kid stupidly thinking the more fries and drinks I bought, the richer I would be the next day.

How is any of what happened even remotely legal at the customer-end?

Not for this case, but I was involved in a class action against McD's way back. I was keeping the game pieces in my car and got the 3rd piece to win a HP 386 computer (:wow:). Sent them off to McD's, most excited, and got a letter back saying "ah no you didn't, you obviously used last year's pieces to try and get your prize now go away." I kinda went "meh" after that until a legal letter arrived, saying "sign this to join the class action", which I did. We promptly and comprehensively lost the court case, I went "meh" again and still eat their crap despite being officially called a filthy cheating liar and being denied my sweet HP tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_legal_cases#.22McMatch_and_Win_Monopoly.22_Promotion_.28Australia.29

Obviously what happened was that a big stockpile of the previous year's cards got sent out as well, but McDonalds is big enough to deny it and win. Who cares really

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This is like an insane 90s superhero origin story.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My girlfriend reminded me of this horrendously stupid Levi's ad campaign:

http://www.businessinsider.com/levis-love-your-body-campaign-only-applies-to-skinny-girls-2012-2?op=1

quote:

Even though the ad features plus-sized models Sabina Carlson, Marquita Pring, McKenzie, and Ashley Graham — whose sizes range from US 12 to US 16 and hips range from 44” to 47” — the ad says they are all size 32.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend reminded me of this horrendously stupid Levi's ad campaign:

Hold on, those models are considered "plus sized"? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the ad clearly says they're all size 32