Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mahoning posted:

They went undefeated two years ago......

I seem to recall them losing a game that year, sometime near the end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

NippleFloss posted:

I seem to recall them losing a game that year, sometime near the end...

They actually won the Michigan State game, you might not remember it that way because it was awful

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Title IX just means that lots of schools have women's volleyball, which is simply more meat for the grinder that is Penn State

Butthead
May 31, 2011
You can't have every Power 5's conference champion in the playoffs because the Big 12 is a bunch of retards that will have a 6 way tie for conference champion and declare them all co-champions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Butthead posted:

You can't have every Power 5's conference champion in the playoffs because the Big 12 is a bunch of retards that will have a 6 way tie for conference champion and declare them all co-champions.

Not to get in the way of your Hot Take, but the Big XII has always had a tiebreaker for that situation which is basically identical to what other conferences use to decide who represents a division in a conference championship game in the event of co-division champions. And what other conferences had before they all went to 12+ teams. Baylor would have won the tie-breaker and been the Big XII rep.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Not to get in the way of your Hot Take, but the Big XII has always had a tiebreaker for that situation which is basically identical to what other conferences use to decide who represents a division in a conference championship game in the event of co-division champions. And what other conferences had before they all went to 12+ teams. Baylor would have won the tie-breaker and been the Big XII rep.

That tie-breaker was "highest in the BCS standings," which no longer exists and is the reason there were co-champions this year.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There were co-champions when K-State and OU ended with the same conference record. K-State got the Fiesta Bowl automatic bid because of their head to head victory with OU.

It's not loving rocket science, people.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The 2008 Texas/Tech/OU win ouroboros was impossible, awesome, and involved passive-aggressive airplane messages.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
The Big 12 commissioner could have declared Baylor the Big 12 champions based on their head-to-head victory over TCU, but declined to do so. Unless they change their rules, that sets a precedent that any ties in conference record at the end of the season will be ruled as co-champions.

Like, how much bullshit would it be if they do not change their rules and next year a tie occurs and the commissioner decides one team is the champion? Baylor would be irate.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Butthead posted:

The Big 12 commissioner could have declared Baylor the Big 12 champions based on their head-to-head victory over TCU, but declined to do so. Unless they change their rules, that sets a precedent that any ties in conference record at the end of the season will be ruled as co-champions.

Like, how much bullshit would it be if they do not change their rules and next year a tie occurs and the commissioner decides one team is the champion? Baylor would be irate.

Man I love to poo poo on the Big 12 for driving everyone out as much as anyone but come on, we've gone over this just a few times.

And obviously if you let the B12 commish declare a champion it's going to be Texas every year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

The 2008 Texas/Tech/OU win ouroboros was impossible, awesome, and involved passive-aggressive airplane messages.

Trigger warning that poo poo, bro.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fussy Dutchman posted:

They weren't the best team in the country, but they weren't dogshit. Also, lackluster schedule seems a bit strong.

Navy
Purdue
@Michigan State
#24 Michigan
Miami
#5 Stanford
BYU
@ #15 Oklahoma
Pitt
@Boston College
Wake Forest
USC

4-5 legitimately challenging games (MSU, UM, Stanford, Oklahoma, USC) two patsies (one of which is in the ACC) and the rest middling. It was on par with pretty much any major conference schedule.

See I feel like USC is in the same boat. They seem to get hyped up every year but haven't been a serious contender in a long while.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

We should go back to about 6-7 eight-to-ten team conferences with one or two at large bids for the playoffs. Round robin schedule. No conference championships. Regular tie breaking rules which seemed to work well in the past. 11 game schedule. 8 team playoff.

Big Ten back to ten teams.
Big 8
SWC
Big East: WVU, VT, Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, BC, Miami, Rutgers, Florida State, maybe Louisville
SEC minus Arkansas, A&M, Missouri, and some other team
PAC-8
MWC: BYU, Utah, Boise State, some other western teams. Add the Arizona teams.

Everyone else relegated to lower division.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Komet posted:

We should go back to about 6-7 eight-to-ten team conferences with one or two at large bids for the playoffs. Round robin schedule. No conference championships. Regular tie breaking rules which seemed to work well in the past. 11 game schedule. 8 team playoff.

Big 8
SWC
Big East: WVU, VT, Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, BC, Miami, Rutgers, Florida State, maybe Louisville
PAC-8

I like the idea of four super conferences better. Whoever wins their championship game goes to the playoff.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Sash! posted:

Title IX just means that lots of schools have women's volleyball, which is simply more meat for the grinder that is Penn State
How can you be national champs if you can't even win your conference?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Coco13 posted:

How can you be national champs if you can't even win your conference?

Different sport, different rules. Also no one cares about conference championships outside of football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Incoherence posted:

Title IX is the reason the US has a good women's soccer team, so it has that going for it.

It's been a indisputably good thing for women's sports, but the way people on the internet treat it like a boogie man is silly given that everyone is out of compliance and it's literally never been enforced.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Butthead posted:

That tie-breaker was "highest in the BCS standings," which no longer exists and is the reason there were co-champions this year.

The BCS thing was in case of a three way tie, head to head is still the tiebreak for two teams as far as bowl bids are concerned. Baylor and TCU were technically co-champions, but Baylor still would have gotten whatever autobid the Big 12 was entitled to, just like KSU got the Fiesta Bowl over OU in 2012 when they were co-champions.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 14, 2015

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Sash! posted:

Different sport, different rules. Also no one cares about conference championships outside of football.

Midmajor basketball conferences heavily disagree.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Maxwells Demon posted:

Midmajor basketball conferences heavily disagree.

But that's only for the tournament champion, which essentially renders the regular season championship meaningless.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

R.D. Mangles posted:

Meyer is making a career of not having to lose to the best team from Texas

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Butthead posted:

Butthead posted:

These posts are both entirely wrong and very bad. The Big XII commissioner can't just arbitrarily ignore conference rules which recognize co-champions and declare one team champions. And the updated tie breaker rules have been posted just about every other week since Baylor beat TCU. They exist and are used to decide the Big XII representative to the Sugar Bowl, which is the bowl that currently gets the Big XII champ. If the Playoff Committee had a clause to take all P5 conference champions like the BCS did then the rules have always been in place to determine who the representative would be in the case of co-champions.

Big XII Football Tiebreaker Procedures posted:

Effective June 2014

The following procedure will determine the Big 12 Conference representative to the Sugar Bowl (or alternate College Football Playoff game when the Sugar Bowl is a semifinal) in the event of a first-place or alternate place tie (for the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process):
  • If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
  • If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
  • The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
  • The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed team(s) in the conference (4, 5 and 6….).
  • The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the College Football Playoff.
  • The representative will be chosen by draw.

These rules are basically identical to what the other P5 conferences used to use before they expanded to 12+. And are also basically identical to what the other P5 conferences currently use to determine divisional representatives to the conference championship game in the event of a tie. And most of those conferences recognize co-divisional champs.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Here's some facts I brought up from the NCAA rulebook

quote:

• The Big Twelve is a loving joke

Aenobarbus
Nov 7, 2012

Komet posted:

We should go back to about 6-7 eight-to-ten team conferences with one or two at large bids for the playoffs.

Big 8
SWC
PAC-8

piss off, ACC...

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Komet posted:

I guess UConn will just have to take their basketball championships and Fiesta Bowl participation elsewhere!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Komet posted:

I guess I forgot this, but the team that came into the SEC with Arkansas in 1990 was South Carolina.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pakled posted:

N: Postseason AP Poll is out. http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

V:

So OSU beat #2, #4, #5 and #13. Baylor beat #3. TCU beat..........oops. #17 in a bowl game?

Even if you discount bowl season, then OSU has wins over #4 and #13, Baylor keeps its #3 win and TCU still beat no one in the top 25 at seasons end. Not sure the argument for TCU over OSU makes much sense, but what do I know

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omne posted:

Not sure the argument for TCU over OSU makes much sense, but what do I know

TCU isn't ranked above OSU :confused:

E: Unless you meant before the playoffs. The argument there was basically that OSU lost at home to an absolute shitbox Va Tech team.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've always thought that, all things being equal, that who you beat is way more important than who you lose to.

You can lose a game in a really flukey way, but it's a lot harder to win more than one game against good teams unless you're actually that good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wisconsin's ranking is a loving joke, they lost to LSU and barely beat Auburn which means they should probably be ranked in the 20s, if at all.
They fail both the "has good wins" and "doesn't have bad losses" criteria of deserving their ranking.

OSU beat one good team before the playoffs, MSU.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Omne posted:

So OSU beat #2, #4, #5 and #13. Baylor beat #3. TCU beat..........oops. #17 in a bowl game?

Even if you discount bowl season, then OSU has wins over #4 and #13, Baylor keeps its #3 win and TCU still beat no one in the top 25 at seasons end. Not sure the argument for TCU over OSU makes much sense, but what do I know

Kansas State, motherfucker. :colbert:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

NippleFloss posted:

OSU beat one good team before the playoffs, MSU.....

And then proceeded to clown on the playoff contenders.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

Wisconsin's ranking is a loving joke, they lost to LSU and barely beat Auburn which means they should probably be ranked in the 20s, if at all.
They fail both the "has good wins" and "doesn't have bad losses" criteria of deserving their ranking.

OSU beat one good team before the playoffs, MSU.

I'm guessing the appeal of Wisconsin (such as it was) was really just completely down to Melvin Gordon.

E: The stat nerd side of Deadspin has an interesting look at how bad the OSU/Va Tech loss was compared to losses by other national champions. What the gently caress happened in 1990 :psyduck:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 14, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PostNouveau posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo, bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQvFO9OEeDs&t=41s

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

djdanno13 posted:

Which is what matters in the end. All this extra is really weird to me.

If we are going to have a playoff, why can't we do like every other sport and let the playoff results be what mattered.

The top 4 were the top 4 in every single poll. Only Big XII fans are finding controversy in the top 4 and who cares about them anyway?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why doesn't the big 12 schedule some top 4 teams so they can knock them out of the playoffs?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

djdanno13 posted:

Yes, but I was responding to someone who was comparing their pre-playoff resume to TCU so I dont really see how this is relevant at all, thanks though for stating and obvious and irrelevant thing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

I'm guessing the appeal of Wisconsin (such as it was) was really just completely down to Melvin Gordon.

E: The stat nerd side of Deadspin has an interesting look at how bad the OSU/Va Tech loss was compared to losses by other national champions. What the gently caress happened in 1990 :psyduck:

Yeah, I had heard earlier this week that the loss to Virginia Tech was the single worst loss an eventual champion had at home since the AP and Coaches started awarding the championship.

Big 10 is going to be inflated over the next decade. All these things are cyclical anyways. Urbz is going to the NFL next year, then Michigan will take over followed by another 15 years of darkness where the Florida wins 4 national titles, Saban wins 3 more, and Auburn gets 2, while Mississippi St ekes out a controversial one.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Mark Dantonio should start slowly sneaking finely ground glass into Urban Meyer's meals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Fluffdaddy posted:

Which is what matters in the end. All this extra is really weird to me.

If we are going to have a playoff, why can't we do like every other sport and let the playoff results be what mattered.

The top 4 were the top 4 in every single poll. Only Big XII fans are finding controversy in the top 4 and who cares about them anyway?

The dumbest part is the Big XII fans are dumping on the team that won it all by obliterating their last three opponents. gently caress, if you're going to dump on somebody, dump on the committee for putting FSU in, when they were clearly just more lucky than good.

• Locked thread