Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Varance posted:

Yep. Kill through access on one of the roads, problem solved. Works on pretty much any intersection when you want to simplify things.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9337881,-82.5057992,204m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edit: someone remind me to make a post about what's going on in Downtown Tampa. It's not every day that you basically get to rebuild the street grid of a downtown CBD.

In Baltimore they're turning a pair of one-way major roads into two-way roads. The response to questions about the additional congestion was basically that people will find other roads to drive on. It's not like downtown traffic is all that good to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

In Baltimore they're turning a pair of one-way major roads into two-way roads. The response to questions about the additional congestion was basically that people will find other roads to drive on. It's not like downtown traffic is all that good to begin with.
That's kind of a general trend, due to said one-way roads turning into drag strips for the suburbanites to rush in/out on. With the areas around downtown cores gentrifying, all of a sudden people want traffic calming so that they can walk/bike in their neighborhood without getting run over. The one-way that has the largest commercial presence usually goes two-way with on-street parking and an emphasis on through travel, while the lesser of the two becomes two-way with an emphasis on bike accommodations.

Here's an example, from Columbus Dr in Tampa. From Republica de Cuba to 45th St, the road functions as an eastbound corridor, with 17th/18th/19th Ave running westbound.

Columbus will become this: http://www.planhillsborough.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Columbus-before-and-after.pdf

17th/18th/19th will become this: http://www.planhillsborough.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/17-18-19_Before-After.pdf

The overall design on 17/18/19 will be the same as 21st Ave from 45th St to 50th St, but a bit nicer and with bicycle accommodations: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9704495,-82.405934,3a,75y,280.28h,76.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSewq8QGRQuelCyjRvw99-g!2e0

There are an number of other roads that are going to be receiving this treatment, the big ones being Tampa St/Highland Ave and Florida Ave (the US 41 business route, north of the I-275 viaduct). Both will go two lane bi-directional instead of the current three lane one-way race track, with Florida Ave being the main drag and Tampa St/Highland Ave the bike ROW. Same with Tyler and Cass.

That said, we're also converting other roads into one-way throughfares where they make sense. Instead of the current awkward-as-hell alignment through the Channelside district, Channelside and Brorein/Cumberland (AKA Platt and Cleveland, further west) will become continuous one-way routes for their entire length. Brorein/Cumberland will also be reconfigured to be a continuous street all the way through the CBD, with the current jog removed and redeveloped.

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 4, 2015

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Speaking of "don't block the box", I always get screwed out of 3+ light cycles at this intersection before I give up and decide I'm going to block the box. The main problem stems from the Whole foods, where the queue for parking always spills out on to Clarendon Blvd.

What happens is (green arrow) people are trying to the leave the shopping center and head north on Edgewood. At the same cycle, (purple arrow) people heading south on Edgewood are trying to make a left on Clarendon, and then a left into Whole Foods. They all block the box and the intersection gets congested.

Then people heading east on Clarendon are trying make it through the intersection and turn left into Whole Foods. I drew a black line where the stop bar is.

I'm often times at the front of the red line, waiting at a green light because the intersection is jammed. After a cycle, it clears up, but then I still can't enter because I would be blocking the box. Then when I don't go, people behind me get mad and honk and drive around me and then get in front of me and block the box.

Ugh

Hey! The issue I brought up was just posted about on a local blog with some great pics:

http://www.arlnow.com/2014/12/31/whole-foods-parking-snarls-clarendon-traffic

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Hey! The issue I brought up was just posted about on a local blog with some great pics:

http://www.arlnow.com/2014/12/31/whole-foods-parking-snarls-clarendon-traffic

This seems like an *amazing* source of revenue for your local police department. At least for the first few days until people get used to not entering the intersection when they don't have a clear path to the exit.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Follow-up to my last post: We're starting construction on our 21st St/22nd St project in Ybor City (Tampa) today. Road diet to add bike lanes, plus the addition of on-street parking, granite curbs, wider hexagonal brick sidewalks and a bunch of fancy lightposts. And a new water main, since everything will be ripped up anyway. Trucks got a new interstate bypass on-ramp, so we're basically kicking them out of Ybor in favor of walkability.

The final configuration of both streets will be like this, but one way and lanes shifted left to accommodate a bike lane instead of left-side parking.

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 5, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's funny I was just reading some stuff on removing one-ways.
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2013/01/case-against-one-way-streets/4549/

I know as a pedestrian I actually rather like one-way streets, I find them easier to cross as you only have to worry about one direction, but people do seem to drive faster on them. A 4 lane one-way street feels much more like a highway vs that same street width as a two-way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My little intersection is coming along. I'm absolutely dreading signalling it. I doubt I'll have lit signals let alone any sort of fancy arduino controlled system but I need to at the very least install a light to stop traffic to let bikes/trams/humans cross the street. Everything's built to dutch cycle standards but north american road markings. Did I gently caress anything obvious up? I tossed a pen in because a lot of people are shocked at just how tiny this poo poo is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That intersection somewhat reminded me of this one, which I cross regularly: (maps link, the roads drawn there are a bit weird, check satellite view instead.)

Quick and dirty drawing. I haven't included the sidewalks.

First thing you might see is that the big east-west road isn't very car friendly. There's a wide bus road, but only a small one-way car lane. They don't seem to want too many cars in the city centre.

Secondly, the bike path at the railway crossing is completely separate from the car and bus lanes, and both cycling directions are on one side of the road. The bike path has its own short railway crossing barriers. This is quite common in the Netherlands, although the situation in Baronjutter's model occurs as well.

Third, that weird diagonal bike crossing for eastbound bicycles. That's rather unusual. It works, though, because bikes get their own traffic light time, during which there should be no other traffic on the intersection.

Finally, as far as I know, there's some connection between the traffic light system and the railway signals/barriers system. When the railway barriers close, all of the traffic lights will turn red and stay that way until the train has passed.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 6, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here's a good list of urban planning articles from 2014. Not all of them are about traffic issues, but they're all fascinating reads anyway. In particular, the "fall of planning expertise" one brings to mind the recent speedbump/poorly planned bike infrastructure chat:

quote:

Capitulation by decision makers to community groups over experts on transit projects, for example, can be directly responsible for increased costs and lower performance. Similarly, when a high-rise development that would inject hundreds of units to a neighborhood is defeated, it can contribute to increases in the cost of housing over the long term.

But when the public sees these higher costs and/or lower performance, they often critique the planners for "poor planning," or developers of price gouging, rather than recognizing their complicity in the devolution of the individual project or the housing market (on the grander scale). Thus, planning experts suffer a credibility loss for consequences they, not only did not advocate for, but warned against. The public and decision makers then see even more reason to dismiss the expertise of the planning expert—replacing it with more reliance on the opinions of the laymen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's a write-up of one-way streets I found in an article about a local project to get rid of them:

quote:

Travers, city traffic engineer Neetu Singh, and consultant Sarah Lewis (at right in photo above) laid out the problems in a transportation department conference room on Thursday:

For starters, it’s hard for drivers to get around a grid of one-way streets, especially if you’re not already familiar with the layout. “You see a business you want to go to and you can’t,” Travers said. A shop might catch a driver’s eye as he passes, but getting back to it isn’t just a matter of circling the block. It might mean circling four blocks or more, given the way one-way streets channel cars.

“To make it user-friendly, you want mobility options,” Travers said. A lack of those options leads to another problem: Drivers can’t escape gridlock. On a grid of two-way streets, if one route is clogged with traffic, cars can just try the next block. With one-way streets, your pathways through town are limited; everyone is forced onto the same few streets. Of course, those throughways are wider as one-ways than as two-ways, but the funneling action of the one-way grid still causes cars to pile up.

That leads to a third cluster of problems: more engine idling, more circling multiple blocks to get where you want to go, more pollution, more wasted fuel, more frustration.

Two-way streets, on the other hand, offer a number of advantages. These include more and better options for bus routes, so that people don’t have to walk blocks to transfer between buses. Cyclists and pedestrians are safer because car traffic is slowed down on two-way streets. (That’s not because the speed limit would change, but because drivers reflexively slow down on two-ways.) And businesses have it better because they’re more visible and easier to access.

Personally I think the biggest advantage is that when you are looking for street parking, it's a lot easier with smaller blocks.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
While on the topic of one way roads, how common is turning a two way street into a one way for just one block? I ask because it seems that just for the block Im on the ROW is barely two narrow for a two way street (with on street parking), and want to know why couldnt they just take some room from the greenspaces between the street and sidewalk.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Communist Zombie posted:

While on the topic of one way roads, how common is turning a two way street into a one way for just one block? I ask because it seems that just for the block Im on the ROW is barely two narrow for a two way street (with on street parking), and want to know why couldnt they just take some room from the greenspaces between the street and sidewalk.

When this is done, the purpose is usually to discourage use of that road by non-local traffic. Particularly if it's a residential area.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

When this is done, the purpose is usually to discourage use of that road by non-local traffic. Particularly if it's a residential area.

Yep, and it usually alternates direction every block or two so that you can't use it as a through street.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://translate.google.nl/transla...t-text=&act=url

Badly translated article, but that's a pretty uh, interesting intersection. Just a big paved rectangle.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I used to commute across that thing for a few months! You definitely had to be careful there but mostly to watch for other cars. The roads are aligned in such a way to maximize the possibility of conflicts it seems, including conflicts with traffic crossing in the opposite direction as yourself. You don't know how they will take the S-curve on the square.

I might have even posted about it before. It also has benches around the edges, like a village square, and there's food stands there sometimes. People sit on the benches and cyclists take a break on them, though only at certain times when the weather is nice. Most of the time it was abandoned and you'd just drive across it as fast as is safe...

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I wonder what the capacity of a completely unmarked, unsigned, unsignalized intersection is. And what happens when you get in an accident? How do cops (and insurance companies) assign blame?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

I wonder what the capacity of a completely unmarked, unsigned, unsignalized intersection is. And what happens when you get in an accident? How do cops (and insurance companies) assign blame?

To be fair there's plenty of those in suburban neighborhoods.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nintendo Kid posted:

To be fair there's plenty of those in suburban neighborhoods.

There might be, but none I've designed. I've put up an excessive number of stop signs so that I don't get in legal trouble.

Also, most of those uncontrolled intersections are on private roadways, which (until 2009) didn't have to follow any kind of uniform traffic control system.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cichlidae posted:

Higher than you'd expect

The blame goes to the engineer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we had some european insurance goons to explain how their systems differ so much that they can have all this nicer infrastructure. Here where we have a provincial insurance system the #1 driving force behind basically all infrastructure spending is reducing insurance risk. That often aligns with increasing safety, but sometimes not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I know a lot of Europeans have car insurance where the insurance is tied to a specific driver and specific car combination, for some reason.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Why does the US have so few traffic circles, aka Roundabouts? Is it just that most of the country never had them so they didn't spread, the people were confused by them, or is there a better reason?

I also live in Washington DC and we have a far amount of roundabouts.

And on the subject of roundabouts, here is a video of a batshit one in the UK. :stonk: http://youtu.be/D22BOOGbpFM

And I might as well ask, are there any goonie traffic engineers in DC now since TRB (Transportation Research Board) Annual Meeting is going on in town? :eng101:

edit: fixed stupid poo poo.

IndianaZoidberg fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Roundabouts are only suitable for a certain range and kind of traffic situations, and also many early designs worked terribly.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Roundabouts are only suitable for a certain range and kind of traffic situations, and also many early designs worked terribly.

Like in Washington DC! Dupont Circle which I would call a traffic circle since it's enormous and doesn't actually function as a roundabout.

Modern roundabouts are becoming very common, though. Here's a bunch in a row that are pretty new

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=md+2...,+Maryland&z=16

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Devor posted:

Like in Washington DC! Dupont Circle which I would call a traffic circle since it's enormous and doesn't actually function as a roundabout.

Modern roundabouts are becoming very common, though. Here's a bunch in a row that are pretty new

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=md+2...,+Maryland&z=16

Well Dupont Circle is a bit out of scope, it was built back in the early 1870s and is little changed since then. It definitely wasn't designed with motor vehicles in mind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Roundabouts were terrifying dangerous european things in north american until pretty recently, but there seems to be a boom of them lately. They're becoming very common in new construction and a lot of over-burdened 4-way stops have been replaces by them, where space permits. In some areas people flip out and crash into each other but traffic engineers have decided it's worth it for north americans to get used to them.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Roundabouts were terrifying dangerous european things in north american until pretty recently, but there seems to be a boom of them lately. They're becoming very common in new construction and a lot of over-burdened 4-way stops have been replaces by them, where space permits. In some areas people flip out and crash into each other but traffic engineers have decided it's worth it for north americans to get used to them.

I wish my university would get the message. There is a single exit from campus near the student parking lots, and there is a stop sign on that road. In the morning and the afternoon, almost all of the traffic is going in a single direction, but everyone has to stop, so the whole thing gets backed up all the way back to the parking lot.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Just today I went through a fairly nasty 2 lane roundabout that has 5 entrances, and is right on the intersection of some major arterial roads and a new industrial area. It gets a lot of trucks, and a lot of crashes. A panelbeaters shop has set up right next to the intersection, apparently it generates a decent amount of work for them.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

I wish my university would get the message. There is a single exit from campus near the student parking lots, and there is a stop sign on that road. In the morning and the afternoon, almost all of the traffic is going in a single direction, but everyone has to stop, so the whole thing gets backed up all the way back to the parking lot.

Do you go to UConn? This describes pretty well the intersection of N Eagleville Rd and Hunting Lodge Rd. Strangely enough, there is a roundabout around the corner on Hunting Lodge Rd, however it seems to be entirely unnecessary at a completely non-descript 3-way intersection with little traffic (https://goo.gl/maps/rycNp). Not that I mind it.

In other UConn transportation news they're building an extension of Hillside Rd up to Rt. 44 which will really help the traffic in that area. On the one hand, I'm excited. On the other hand, if I'm still here when it opens something has gone horribly wrong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

2-lane roundabouts still scare the poo poo out of me for some reason. Just hug the right lane and I'll get through it.

Ok traffic or transit engineers, I got a situation. 2 lane road with a tram sharing the lanes. I have to put a stop in, how horrible is that situation? I guess no better or worse than the same situation where a bus doesn't have space for a pull-in at a stop on a 2 lane road. I know as a driver getting stuck behind a bus stopping at every stop is absolute torture (add in a bike "taking the lane" for extra hell) but I can't think of any other way to solve the situation without a super awkward and dangerous angled set of lanes going around the tram stop, basically making the road 4 lanes wide for a brief moment.

If this is the only stop on the road, just a single bottle-neck, and the road widens later with no more tram stops blocking traffic, how horrible is that?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Car insurance is obligatory here, and tied to a specific car. I don't know if that's unusual or not.

Cichlidae posted:

Well, we do have the priorité a droit / right priority rule which is like the basis of everything. On the unmarked intersection that was posted before, that'd be your main rule to obey. It works great really.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I was driving around today in downtown Hillsboro, a suburb of Portland, OR, and I definitely made the mistake of being overly trusting that there would be adequate signage for their back and forth mish-mash of one ways, two-ways, blind turns, and mixed-size blocks. Good loving grief. I went from a standard two-way, to a one-way grid with long blocks, took a left that had no paint tracks and presumably nothing more than an easily-missed sign and found myself driving the wrong way on a five lane street, fortunately got over into my lane, then took another left and found that the road had split into two with some kind of metro transit lanes running down the middle (again with minimal indicators). I figured out that I had to pull all the way to the right, only to discover that there was 10 blocks of no left turns. I took a right and immediately found myself in a residential suburb. I pulled over, punched in directions out of town into my GPS, and vowed to never go back to that wretchedly designed place. Lately, I've been getting on a bit of a "One Ways Are Bad" trip, and that really sealed the deal.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Just today I went through a fairly nasty 2 lane roundabout that has 5 entrances, and is right on the intersection of some major arterial roads and a new industrial area. It gets a lot of trucks, and a lot of crashes. A panelbeaters shop has set up right next to the intersection, apparently it generates a decent amount of work for them.

2 land roundabouts are horrible and Belgium is starting to phase them out.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
It's the bane of driving in the Middle East: 2, 3, 4, and even 5-lane roundabouts :shepface:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fragrag posted:

2 land roundabouts are horrible and Belgium is starting to phase them out.

Turbo roundabouts are pretty cool, though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Do you go to UConn? This describes pretty well the intersection of N Eagleville Rd and Hunting Lodge Rd. Strangely enough, there is a roundabout around the corner on Hunting Lodge Rd, however it seems to be entirely unnecessary at a completely non-descript 3-way intersection with little traffic (https://goo.gl/maps/rycNp). Not that I mind it.

No, I'm in California.

How much does a roundabout cost vs. signalizing? Maybe I should start a petition to fix this intersection.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we had some european insurance goons to explain how their systems differ so much that they can have all this nicer infrastructure. Here where we have a provincial insurance system the #1 driving force behind basically all infrastructure spending is reducing insurance risk. That often aligns with increasing safety, but sometimes not.

Liability seems to work completely differently, based on the number of trams that go right through plazas where people can just cross the tracks wherever whenever they want. Meanwhile the light rail that runs through my University has stop lights every 50 feet.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

VostokProgram posted:

No, I'm in California.

How much does a roundabout cost vs. signalizing? Maybe I should start a petition to fix this intersection.

It mostly depends on whether the right-of-way has to be obtained, but basically, a signal will cost $100,000 and a roundabout will cost $1,000,000. The roundabout has a lower operations cost, though, and a much lower accident cost.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FISHMANPET posted:

Liability seems to work completely differently, based on the number of trams that go right through plazas where people can just cross the tracks wherever whenever they want. Meanwhile the light rail that runs through my University has stop lights every 50 feet.

I sometimes want to start an A/T or finance thread or something on this. It seem to be a super key issue that no one, even urban planners i talk to, really know. "Oh we just can't do that here... insurance... liability, uh I don't really know how europe can do it I guess it's different??" .

My wife works in insurance and was doing a ton of research on how the Russian and Ukrainian insurance systems work so she can better explain things to her russian clients (she gets them all sent to her since she speaks russian) but that's just the lowest level car stuff, not like city-level liability.

The insurance system in Russia is really hosed and awful though and explains why every minor accident results in traffic being blocked for hours. It's the police that settle liability and fault, so you have to sit there and wait for the police, you can't just exchange info and then give your statement to your insurance companies who then decide fault and then go do some subrogation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
It used to be the same in the UAE, with the added deterrent that you can't get your car fixed at a licensed dealer without the necessary green/red police liability statement - no, not even out of pocket. Nowadays though, when both cars in an accident are still able to drive, they make you go to a police station to get the paperwork done. Which clears the road of holdups at least, but afterwards you enter the glorious world of arab language bureaucracy.

This adds to an interlocking system of perpetually bad road experiences: Horrendous city planning - gated communities plus superblocks plus extreme Euclidian zoning (archipelagos of healthcare, media, academic, logistical, etc. 'cities') plus no walkability (temperatures) - leads to eight lane arterials and twelve lane freeways in a place where you need to go a long way to get anywhere every day, but where having the occasional unavoidable accident means you just lost multiple days of work.

Gas at a buck a gallon, rapid economic and population growth, a huge annual turnover in population, and therefore a ton of (at least locally) first-time drivers; people stress the gently caress out, and the result is one of the supposedly worst accident rates in the world.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 15, 2015