Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The counters are not fun but if you consider that you are often probably fighting one person at a time, there's only ever the one counter to deal with. They all work a little differently too, and some are easier to exploit than others (you can poke a Lucario, shield and let him or her sail off the stage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
I had a game today where an Ike was just countering my moves every time. It made those would be clutch kills a counter kill! To take out some frustration, I chose Mac and did my own counter game. It was pretty funny because he started jamming the down b button as soon as I got the full KO bar. I just had to wait and blammo! KO at 35%.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you run into someone spamming counter and almost nothing else please pick the good King Dedede, even if you never used him before.

The results are always hilarious.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So apparently Lucina's matchup against Marth's pretty abysmal, somewhere around 35:65 in Marth's favour

Which is kind of expected, they both play the same type of spacing game except he gets the extra reward for it, but then I read this

Sakurai posted:

“Hence all these characters were adjusted relative to their clone,” he said. “For example, Marth and Lucina would only be tested against each other, until they were roughly equal and in balance.”

and suddenly I'm :psyduck: as all hell

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I love playing against people who spam counter. Of all the predictable playstyles, it is (for me at least) the easiest to exploit by far. You can literally just run up to someone, stand for half a second, and then destroy them. Obviously, if they begin mixing it up that can be risky, but I find the counter spammers never seem to mix it up :shrug:.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

So apparently Lucina's matchup against Marth's pretty abysmal, somewhere around 35:65 in Marth's favour

Which is kind of expected, they both play the same type of spacing game except he gets the extra reward for it, but then I read this

Why would you try to make 2 characters the same? Should have made Lucina a skin for Marth. God drat Sakurai hosed up all over the place with this game. It just seems logical yet Lucina is used as a character slot, where Wendy, Robin and Alph are skins.

Makes no sense.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ShadeofBlue posted:

I love playing against people who spam counter. Of all the predictable playstyles, it is (for me at least) the easiest to exploit by far. You can literally just run up to someone, stand for half a second, and then destroy them. Obviously, if they begin mixing it up that can be risky, but I find the counter spammers never seem to mix it up :shrug:.

This is why Dedede is great. His forward smash kills ultra early and has such a slow startup that counter spammers freak out and use it, and by the time the danger is actually on it's way the counter goes away and GOODBYE.

Then if they start trying to time it you can run up and just grab them and guess who has a fantastic grab game with follow ups. It's great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

God drat Sakurai hosed up all over the place with this game.

Yeah, gently caress that guy. Why is he even making games? My 7 year old nephew could make better games than that stupid shitbag! I swear literally all Sakurai does is try to make the game as unfun as possible, he really hates us pro players.
:goonsay:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, gently caress that guy. Why is he even making games? My 7 year old nephew could make better games than that stupid shitbag! I swear literally all Sakurai does is try to make the game as unfun as possible, he really hates us pro players.

And the non pro players too.

:rip: Adventure Mode

Seriously though I get Sakurai's intent with the Doc (Mario with tornado) but Lucina's straight up a worse Marth and Dark Pit being in as anything more than a skin is nonsensical.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 14, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dark pit deserves to be his own character. dark pit deserves his own game. free dark pit

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

dark pit deserves to be his own character. dark pit deserves his own game. free dark pit

I will only accept this if he can fight his destined rival dank pit

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remember that Sakurai playtests his games with one hand per controller.

I fought a guy named Penguino on For Glory earlier tonight. Could it be our Penguino? I was Croi and I probably went Lucario.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 14, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

Couldn't he just test them with another person

please

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Dark Pit and Lucina bug me because they could've at least been interesting. Especially Dark Pit, with the humongous amount of stuff Uprising had.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

isn't he unable to do that now, because he damaged his hand making kid icarus uprising?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Bee posted:

Dark Pit and Lucina bug me because they could've at least been interesting. Especially Dark Pit, with the humongous amount of stuff Uprising had.

that wasn't an option. dark pit was planned to just be a costume, then they saw they had a bit of extra time, so they decided to make him seperate from pit with some minor differences. giving him a completely different moveset was not in the cards

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

This but unironically.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sakurai is my friend and i love him

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Bee posted:

i was glad they swapped out his side-B attack for a different weapon(and his bow i guess, kind of), but it was weird that they didn't do more of that. tons of his stuff could have changed, even if it was just visually. that's how the majority of the uprising weapons worked anyway, different models and attack attributes but the same animations

there are so many goddamn weapons in uprising and they used like 5 out of 200

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alph's trophy is literally the exact same as Olimar's and Olimar's final smash and Alternate costume color don't have Alph at all. I'm 90% sure they tried to turn him into his own character at some point and couldn't.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sharrrk posted:

sakurai is my friend and i love him

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alph's trophy is literally the exact same as Olimar's and Olimar's final smash and Alternate costume color don't have Alph at all. I'm 90% sure they tried to turn him into his own character at some point and couldn't.

Well, what could you really do? Alph doesn't really do anything new in Pikmin 3 that Olimar didn't save for Pikmin that were already incorporated into Olimar anyway. Unless they did the dumb poo poo they did with Pit and Dark Pit then it's really not worth it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well, what could you really do? Alph doesn't really do anything new in Pikmin 3 that Olimar didn't save for Pikmin that were already incorporated into Olimar anyway. Unless they did the dumb poo poo they did with Pit and Dark Pit then it's really not worth it.

dr. mario is literally mario and you can't figure out how they could differentiate two characters who are actually different

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You make it sound like Dr. Mario was a good addition. lol

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TheKingofSprings posted:

And the non pro players too.

:rip: Adventure Mode

Seriously though I get Sakurai's intent with the Doc (Mario with tornado) but Lucina's straight up a worse Marth and Dark Pit being in as anything more than a skin is nonsensical.

Oh good, we're back to that "character slots" garbage again.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dark Pit has a way better voice plus "the hemi", if you can't appreciate these details then I guess I don't know what to say to you

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Dr. Mario is cool.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lucina is better than Marth in every facet that matters.

Pittoo is also great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

You're loving joking right?

By all means, please point out the part where I said "those damned clones, taking Ridley's spot out from under him :argh:"

Funky Valentine posted:

Lucina is better than Marth in every facet that matters.

Pittoo is also great.

I like Lucina. She is cool, I am glad she is in Smash and she is the character I have the most playtime as.

She's also worse than Marth in nearly every gameplay related way and that will never not baffle me.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

Dark Pit has a way better voice plus "the hemi", if you can't appreciate these details then I guess I don't know what to say to you

reiley i tried calling for you a bunch on irc to Smash me but you never responded. i'm currently in the process of committing seppuku because of this dishonour. farewell.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is why Dedede is great. His forward smash kills ultra early and has such a slow startup that counter spammers freak out and use it, and by the time the danger is actually on it's way the counter goes away and GOODBYE.

Then if they start trying to time it you can run up and just grab them and guess who has a fantastic grab game with follow ups. It's great.

Oh that's so true, I can't even count the number of times I've tried to shield the forward smash and have dropped it too early :(. It feels so scrubby just to miss the punish, never mind actually getting hit by it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

sharrrk posted:

reiley i tried calling for you a bunch on irc to Smash me but you never responded. i'm currently in the process of committing seppuku because of this dishonour. farewell.

gomen nasai (japanese for I'm sorry)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been maining Toon Link in For Glory and while I can pretty consistently get my opponent to >100% before he gets me there, I have a really hard time actually getting the kill. Once I have to start to get in to try to either side smash, up air, back air, or back throw they seem to know exactly what I'm looking to do and kick my butt. Lots of frustrating games where I get an opponent to like 150% while I'm around 50-70 but then they get a few combos off and kill me. Any tips?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

prom candy posted:

I've been maining Toon Link in For Glory and while I can pretty consistently get my opponent to >100% before he gets me there, I have a really hard time actually getting the kill. Once I have to start to get in to try to either side smash, up air, back air, or back throw they seem to know exactly what I'm looking to do and kick my butt. Lots of frustrating games where I get an opponent to like 150% while I'm around 50-70 but then they get a few combos off and kill me. Any tips?

hitting guys with the second slash of your fsmash is key. the nice thing about it is that you can do it immediately after the first slash or you can wait a second. practice and see how long you can wait before executing that second slash.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dork Pit.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Dieting Hippo posted:

hitting guys with the second slash of your fsmash is key. the nice thing about it is that you can do it immediately after the first slash or you can wait a second. practice and see how long you can wait before executing that second slash.

I disagree with using Toon Link's side smash. It has a pretty terrible ending lag. Down smash, up smash, and forward air are pretty decent for sending people flying, and Toon Link is pretty good at harassing someone's recovery.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Played Classic on 9.0 with Bowser for about three hours last night, got to Master Hand 3 times without dying. On attempt number 3, I loving finally beat all of Master Cores forms without losing a life. Then what happened? I loving die inside the Master Fortress for the first time since the very first time I played it. :what:

But at least I know I'm capable of doing it now. God drat is Classic utter bullshit.

How many of you guys have actually bothered with this bullshit challenge? I'd like to hear some words of encouragement before I try this again tonight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ometeotl posted:

I don't think the complaining about Dark Pit is about that, just missed opportunities.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TenaciousJ posted:

I disagree with using Toon Link's side smash. It has a pretty terrible ending lag. Down smash, up smash, and forward air are pretty decent for sending people flying, and Toon Link is pretty good at harassing someone's recovery.

The only true way to kill someone with Toon Link is to throw them off the stage and do a down smash to kill them(and then yourself) as they are trying to recover.

I am pretty bad at this game but I've had pretty good luck with Toon Link once I can get a grab on someone. Grab, throw backwards, throw boomerang so that when they land they have me in front of them and the boomerang behind them. Then just control the spacing so they either walk into another grab, or they get hit from behind by the boomerang and you can punish, or if they get too aggressive I've had good luck with up-B(which basically throws them at the end of the move and you can continue with this game). Throw a few arrows in their for good measure(depending how far you threw them) and it's probably really annoying to play against.

I am legit bad at this game though and Toon Link seems to be the only character I can actually compete against people with. Except for one guy I ran into who was playing as fox, I don't think I hit the ground once after that fight started...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't be alarmed. Sakurai always says things like this that make literally 0 sense. It's a through line of his work, not even just on Smash. He's said some extremely strange poo poo about Kirby too that has had people raise their eyebrows at him.

He also has a habit of putting down his team accidentally. He's just not a very good communicator.

• Locked thread