Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chatrapati posted:

Everything you've said is incredibly helpful Coolguye, I am definitely going to rework some of my provinces.

This is the latest image I have of the map, the duchies are colour-coded but everything in Tarsh is a shade of red really so it might be difficult to tell. I've since done the grasslands and the swamp, but I don't have access to my pc right now so I can't show that off.

I'm basing the scale of my provinces off of the Britain mod (can't remember it's name) and my hope is that small armies will be able to cross the map in short lengths of time.

Well, something to keep in mind: if you want places that are very important to the setting you're working in (like Tarsh would be during the Storm Age), you can always write events to make them more likely to happen. For example, in a specific year that coincides with Tarsh's creation, whomever holds the province containing Tarsh's traditional capitol could get strong claims that were inheritable by successors on all the counties comprising Tarsh's borders. Obviously you don't want to make this too rigid or too common, because otherwise the map is too static. With a strong CB like that, even the AI will be pretty persistent about pursuing wars to form the kingdom.

Regarding movement speed, that is something that just sort of evolves - designing a map specifically for movement speed will be relatively difficult, due to how many factors influence it. If you run into a situation where you're having issues, though, Heroquest is chock full of gotta-go-fast blessings that you could institute as buttons to press under the intrigue screen. In return for 1/10th of your yearly gold and piety income for example, Orlanthi could sac to whichever god made the most sense (Issaries? Orlanth?) to increase their army overland movement speed for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

VDay posted:

I'm playing ironman otherwise I would've console'd it by now. Alright, looks like I'm going the duchy route. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some "Make holding county capital" option I didn't know about despite having hundreds of hours in this game like the invite to plot thing. I guess it won't be too bad since those northern Norwegian provinces are pretty terrible anyway.

A lot of times weird little things like you're seeing with the holding not being properly moved to the city will get fixed upon a new ruler taking over that province. Either give it to someone else, or wait for your guy to die.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

I don't see why you couldn't, you can literally split armies down to a single man. Never tried, though.

There's some event type troops that you can't split beyond the amount you were given. I thought tribal armies were like that. Maybe I'm thinking of zealots or something.

First Bass posted:

I also think I bugged my game by having a vassal Merchant Republic that is also of the same dynasty as my Merchant Republic. First, their family holdings were just hanging off the rear end-end of the Republic families tab, but when my current ruler died an exact duplicate replaced where my family showed up, so now there's double and it's not showing my level 4 mansion and 12 trade posts,.

What? You shouldn't be able to have a vassal republic if you're already a republic.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ugh, I got the devilspawn event for my fifth son in a full-genius family(No savescumming, but both my character and my spouse are geniuses), and he kills off his four older brothers before biting it at the tender age of 17 due to a passing sickness. I'm not too bothered since his younger brother is an absolute wünderkid, actually beating out the devilspawn on some stats like diplomacy and martial, but it would have been nice to play as him for once.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Broken Cog posted:

Ugh, I got the devilspawn event for my fifth son in a full-genius family(No savescumming, but both my character and my spouse are geniuses), and he kills off his four older brothers before biting it at the tender age of 17 due to a passing sickness. I'm not too bothered since his younger brother is an absolute wünderkid, actually beating out the devilspawn on some stats like diplomacy and martial, but it would have been nice to play as him for once.

My dream is to convert to Hellenic religion in Ironman through those courtiers you get an export it to EU4.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

My dream is to convert to Hellenic religion in Ironman through those courtiers you get an export it to EU4.
They're not hellenic, though. They're generic pagan.

Despite that fact that one is Circe, the very daughter of Helios.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I just won all of Spain in a crusade because I successfully sieged one country then got my army destroyed.

Uh... thanks? Really? I was the most important part of the crusade? Mmkay then. Time to spam that Invite Holy Man button...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

First Bass posted:

I spend 7 years grinding down Northumberland in a Holy War as I kick every drat Norseman in Scandinavia he calls in off the Isles, and then at 80% warscore the little poo poo converts to Catholicism, I get a pitiful 100 piety and the war ends inconclusively. WHAT :catstare:

loving Vikings, man. A swarm landed on my shores as I was busy sieging down one loving county. One thousand man raid was a county away, sieged my vassal, burned down a barracks, hosed off and was immediately replaced with another thousand man raid. Then I finished the first holding and popped down to kick their loving teeth in. Bonus, the guy I was fighting had hid his pathetic army down there too, but the Vikings just let them hang out.

Basically, Vikings are dicks, kill or convert. When does conversion become easier? I'm in 828 or so right now, how many more years do I need to wait?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I just won all of Spain in a crusade because I successfully sieged one country then got my army destroyed.

Uh... thanks? Really? I was the most important part of the crusade? Mmkay then. Time to spam that Invite Holy Man button...

That happened to me in my last game, it was a hassle. I ran out of distant family members to grant duchies to pretty quickly (not to mention money to create titles), and to get under the vassal limit I had to spin off two kingdoms. The newly independent Catholic rulers of random bits of Spain and Morocco both immediately converted to Berber culture and became Sultans instead of Kings. They also beat the poo poo out of their Islamic neighbors.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Strudel Man posted:

They're not hellenic, though. They're generic pagan.

Despite that fact that one is Circe, the very daughter of Helios.

Wait, is it possible in any way then to become Hellenic in Ironman without ruler designer?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

catlord posted:

Basically, Vikings are dicks, kill or convert. When does conversion become easier? I'm in 828 or so right now, how many more years do I need to wait?

I have no idea if this is true, but the wiki (http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Start_date) has this to say:

quote:

Pagans are less likely to immediately throw your preacher in jail (except for the few that were already easy, before 930: north_germanic converting to Catholic, and Hungarians)

So it looks like it's always "easy" to convert the Vikings to Catholicism at least.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Wait, is it possible in any way then to become Hellenic in Ironman without ruler designer?

No and never will be :colbert:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Taking a break from my standard playstyle which is viking warlord to try being an Italian patrician. I'm playing pretty much the same way though. :black101:

I spent the first couple of generations just saving money and building trade posts whenever I could (which I think was just one, due to the low tech post limit you get in 769 which I'm assuming I wouldn't have if I started later) and spent all other money on military buildings. As the other families started building trade posts around Venice, I just took them away as fast as I could. I figured out the doge mechanics but I also figured out that I couldn't start trade wars within my republic if doge, so I just didn't put anything into the campaign fund and just kept gobbling up trade posts. Now I have like six of them with a trade post limit of two. I make enough money that I can periodically raise a mercenary army and kick the Lombard king around until he coughs up one of his coastal cities. Meanwhile I've married into the families of most of his Dukes. Eventually I got elected Doge simply from prestige and age, so I'm focusing on that for now. I'm thinking about trying to repair my relationship with the other patricians so they'll pay taxes to me, but, uh, I think instead once my current character dies I'll continue bullying them; at this point, my levy pool is large enough that I should be able to basically annex their trade posts at will.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Hopefully someone can help me out with this since I can't find anything about it on the wiki.

It took awhile for it to sink in, but I get that my "estate" is not in any one single place; it represents the entirety of my family's possessions. As such, the estate levies exist everywhere I have holdings... By default calling them up makes them appear in Venice, and then if I need them in the mainland I need to ferry them over there. But, when I'm at war with another family and they have an army raised in Venice, calling my estate levies up makes them appear at one of my coastal cities on the mainland. Is there a way I can do that manually, or will they only appear on the mainland if Venice is blocked?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I really like this game, especially because is a kind of medieval political simulator. It's not like most of the other games where everything revolves around war. Sure, you can conquer cities, but politics and intrigues to get them is fun as well. And then you discover that your wife has been cheating on you with your worst enemy!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Now I have a county, ho ho ho

As a patrician, I'm "supposed" to own cities, right? I know I never went around holding temples or cities as a noble during any of my normal games, because it gimped what I got from them. But right now, I've got two castles. One is in Venice, I got it from a random event. The other is in the county I just conquered. The just conquered one has the normal penalties that come with that, but I don't see any penalties on the castle I own in Venice. So do patricians not get any penalty from holding castles other than it taking up one of their demesne slots?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

There's some event type troops that you can't split beyond the amount you were given. I thought tribal armies were like that. Maybe I'm thinking of zealots or something.

What? You shouldn't be able to have a vassal republic if you're already a republic.

I created them when I was still just a tribal government, and then converted to republic, which got around the limit on the realm limits to vassal republics. I brought democracy to the middle east :911:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Whoa, my court chaplain (also one of my vassals) is expected to be elected Pope. Does that mean anything good for me? I never play as a Christian so this is pretty new to me as well. So far the only thing I've been paying attention to church-wise is making sure my Bishop vassals like me more than His Holiness.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Now I have a county, ho ho ho

As a patrician, I'm "supposed" to own cities, right? I know I never went around holding temples or cities as a noble during any of my normal games, because it gimped what I got from them. But right now, I've got two castles. One is in Venice, I got it from a random event. The other is in the county I just conquered. The just conquered one has the normal penalties that come with that, but I don't see any penalties on the castle I own in Venice. So do patricians not get any penalty from holding castles other than it taking up one of their demesne slots?

Patricians can hold both cities and castles without penalty, yeah. Muslim patricians can even hold all three kinds freely, since Muslims are allowed both castles and temples.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shiny777 posted:

Patricians can hold both cities and castles without penalty, yeah. Muslim patricians can even hold all three kinds freely, since Muslims are allowed both castles and temples.

I knew about Muslims since I've been eyeing them as well, but watching a documentary recently (history documentaries are my bedtime stories) on the Republic of Venice made me want to give them a try.

Right now I'm Doge, but I'm pretty old. When I die, another family will take over as Doge (which is fine by me; it means I can cement my family's monopoly on the Adriatic trade zone) which means I will no longer be a Duke-level ruler, and I will no longer have ownership of the city of Venezia.

However, according to the succession thing, my son will still own the castle that was built in Venice during my Dogedom, and will also still own the County of Aquileia, its castle, and its city.

So I've got a few questions about that. One: if I conquer the other counties in Aquileia's de jure Duchy, and declare myself a Duke, what happens when I "lose" (I'm not really trying to win it...) the election for Doge? The Doge is a Duke-level ruler, and I will be his vassal. How does that work?

If I create vassals to take over ownership of my castles right now (I'm not going to, since I can use the levies to continue bullying the other families, but for curiosity's sake), what will happen to those?

I see that if, while Doge, I own two other Duchies, I can declare myself King of Venice, which is a de jure Kingdom containing the Republic of Venice. Will that convert the Republic to a regular Duchy? If not, what will happen to the other duchies I've acquired to name myself King? Will they be separate, autonomous Republics that I am King of, kind of like when I start my own Republics when playing as a King normally? Or will they be regular Duchies and Venice will be a vassal Republic?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I knew about Muslims since I've been eyeing them as well, but watching a documentary recently (history documentaries are my bedtime stories) on the Republic of Venice made me want to give them a try.

Right now I'm Doge, but I'm pretty old. When I die, another family will take over as Doge (which is fine by me; it means I can cement my family's monopoly on the Adriatic trade zone) which means I will no longer be a Duke-level ruler, and I will no longer have ownership of the city of Venezia.

However, according to the succession thing, my son will still own the castle that was built in Venice during my Dogedom, and will also still own the County of Aquileia, its castle, and its city.

So I've got a few questions about that. One: if I conquer the other counties in Aquileia's de jure Duchy, and declare myself a Duke, what happens when I "lose" (I'm not really trying to win it...) the election for Doge? The Doge is a Duke-level ruler, and I will be his vassal. How does that work?

If I create vassals to take over ownership of my castles right now (I'm not going to, since I can use the levies to continue bullying the other families, but for curiosity's sake), what will happen to those?

I see that if, while Doge, I own two other Duchies, I can declare myself King of Venice, which is a de jure Kingdom containing the Republic of Venice. Will that convert the Republic to a regular Duchy? If not, what will happen to the other duchies I've acquired to name myself King? Will they be separate, autonomous Republics that I am King of, kind of like when I start my own Republics when playing as a King normally? Or will they be regular Duchies and Venice will be a vassal Republic?

Letting other families become doge can be a recipe for disasters since the AI is usually pretty incompetent in handling merchant republics. But it doesn't hurt to experience it for yourself.

There is nothing wrong with holding castles as a patrician. You get most of your money from your trade posts, and castles give much more and much better troops than cities.

If you form the duchy of Aquileia while you are the doge, the next doge will inherit it. If you are no longer the doge you will be unable to form the duchy, since you can't create titles of equal rank as your liege.

You can give vassals your castles. If you still own the counties themselves, then these barons will be your vassals even if you lose the election. But if you only own the castle in a county and give them away, they would cease to be your vassal once you are no longer the doge since you are only a count then (or even a baron if you hold no counties), and those cannot have other counts as vassals.

Creating the Kingdom of Venice should be something of a priority for you. You need two duchies to form the kingdom, and you already have Venice. If your form Aquileia, you only need enough money and piety to form the kingdom. You will become the Serene Doge of the Serene Republic of Venice. The duchy of Venice will be an integral part of the serene republic, so every new doge will inherit the city of Venice, the county of Venice, the duchy of Venice and the kingdom of Venice. But if you hold the duchy of Aquileia, you will become a duke level patrician under the serene doge.

Merchant republics cannot have other merchant republics as vassals, if these other duchy level titles are not held by patricians, than they will function like any inland republic. If the dukes are also patricians, then they will only be very powerful patricians, but still vassals of the serene doge.

And to answer a previous question: Your estate is in Venice. You can see that when you send your marshal to train troops in Venice. It will increase the number of troops in your city and castle in Venice, AND it will increase the number of troops in your estate. These troops appearing outside of Venice when it is besieged is a special case. In fact it might be a bug, since they appeared in Venice for me when I played them a few months ago, and would promptly be slaughtered by the besieging army. But that was several patches ago, so it might be working as intended in your case.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

Letting other families become doge can be a recipe for disasters since the AI is usually pretty incompetent in handling merchant republics. But it doesn't hurt to experience it for yourself.

There is nothing wrong with holding castles as a patrician. You get most of your money from your trade posts, and castles give much more and much better troops than cities.

If you form the duchy of Aquileia while you are the doge, the next doge will inherit it. If you are no longer the doge you will be unable to form the duchy, since you can't create titles of equal rank as your liege.

You can give vassals your castles. If you still own the counties themselves, then these barons will be your vassals even if you lose the election. But if you only own the castle in a county and give them away, they would cease to be your vassal once you are no longer the doge since you are only a count then (or even a baron if you hold no counties), and those cannot have other counts as vassals.

Creating the Kingdom of Venice should be something of a priority for you. You need two duchies to form the kingdom, and you already have Venice. If your form Aquileia, you only need enough money and piety to form the kingdom. You will become the Serene Doge of the Serene Republic of Venice. The duchy of Venice will be an integral part of the serene republic, so every new doge will inherit the city of Venice, the county of Venice, the duchy of Venice and the kingdom of Venice. But if you hold the duchy of Aquileia, you will become a duke level patrician under the serene doge.

Merchant republics cannot have other merchant republics as vassals, if these other duchy level titles are not held by patricians, than they will function like any inland republic. If the dukes are also patricians, then they will only be very powerful patricians, but still vassals of the serene doge.

And to answer a previous question: Your estate is in Venice. You can see that when you send your marshal to train troops in Venice. It will increase the number of troops in your city and castle in Venice, AND it will increase the number of troops in your estate. These troops appearing outside of Venice when it is besieged is a special case. In fact it might be a bug, since they appeared in Venice for me when I played them a few months ago, and would promptly be slaughtered by the besieging army. But that was several patches ago, so it might be working as intended in your case.

In-game text specifically states that your estate is not in any one place, and cannot be besieged. That seems to be true since when I'm at war with another family, and I put an army in Venice unopposed, no siege takes place. I just leave a small contingent there to keep them from attacking my trade post there.

And when I click on my estate in the construction queue, the camera auto-centers to my county, whereas it originally auto-centred to Venice.

Also, I increased my levies, and shortened the construction time for my palace, by placing my marshal and steward in my county.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 14, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

In-game text specifically states that your estate is not in any one place, and cannot be besieged. That seems to be true since when I'm at war with another family, and I put an army in Venice unopposed, no siege takes place. I just leave a small contingent there to keep them from attacking my trade post there.

And when I click on my estate in the construction queue, the camera auto-centers to my county, whereas it originally auto-centred to Venice.

Also, I increased my levies, and shortened the construction time for my palace, by placing my marshal and steward in my county.

Yes, that can be true. I wasn't clear enough. Your estate is in your capital, and since I thought you were the doge, I was sure that Venice was still your capital. And you are right, the estates cannot be besieged.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

Yes, that can be true. I wasn't clear enough. Your estate is in your capital, and since I thought you were the doge, I was sure that Venice was still your capital. And you are right, the estates cannot be besieged.

That makes sense. Yeah I was Doge but died. The oldest council member was like two generations older than my heir and I could not have bought the election with my entire treasury.

Right now when I raise my levies 90% of them show up in my county and 10% show up in Venice. :iiam:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I am solely responsible for keeping the burgeoning kingdoms of Austria and Croatia from annexing us. At this point I should just be able to gut the other council members and declare myself King by right of killing everyone else.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Whoa, my court chaplain (also one of my vassals) is expected to be elected Pope. Does that mean anything good for me? I never play as a Christian so this is pretty new to me as well. So far the only thing I've been paying attention to church-wise is making sure my Bishop vassals like me more than His Holiness.

If you supported his cardinal election then you'll get a big opinion bonus.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

As was already mentioned, it's in your best interest to not let the AI take over the republic, ever. You'll lose out on a significant amount of income and the AI will probably do a lot of stupid poo poo once it's in charge. Dump money into the campaign fund in the republic menu so your son will be elected as the next doge. You can also designate someone else from your dynasty to succeed you by awarding them the honorary title of Designated Heir, which can be revoked later if someone better comes along. Bear in mind that age counts for a fair bit when determining how many election points (or prestige, or whatever it's called) someone has, which is why you'll see the other houses in the republic fielding a bunch of old farts as their candidates. Early on when you don't have that much money you may need to rely on older and crappier candidates just to stay in power, but pretty soon you'll be swimming in money and can nominate 16-year olds to succeed you and drop a grand in their campaign fund to make up for their young age.

On the subject of merchant republics, is it a good or bad idea to give other patricians cities/holdings? I've been avoiding it under the assumption that it'd make them more powerful and a thorn in my side later, though now I'm a Grand Prince and I doubt it matters anymore. Does it create problems with vassalage? Like, can a patrician be a vassal under one of my vassals? I seem to recall running into a problem with this when I tried to give a duchy title to someone but couldn't because one of the county holders was a patrician.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I just put 2.3.1 live on Steam! If you don't get it downloaded immediately a quick trick is to do "Verify Integrity" and cancel, this will force Steam to check for updates.

code:
MAJOR:
- Fixed bug where vassal levies could not always be dismissed.
- Fixed crash issue on Linux when the AI tried to build settlements.

MINOR:
- Temple successors now get their liege's religion rather than their top liege's
- Rebalanced seduction to make it harder to seduce the spouses of great rulers
- AI: Reduced seduction craze a bit
- Seduction: increased risk of scandal
- Adjusted default message settings to reduce spam
- Fixed a grammar variable bug in event WoL.201
- Fixed a bug with event WoL.3050 happening for a single character only
- Fixed a bug with event 63103, where vassals of vassals could go independent with Elective Gavelkind succession
- Reduced the Catholic Holy Order regiments in size
- Fixed a minor issue with the court where some newborn bastards ended up
- Fixed text bug in event WoL.11000, which referred to the recipient rather than the actor
- Better tooltips in the event options for WoL.11000
- Better tooltips in event WoL.11006
- Fixed some problems with the 'inbred' trait calculations
- Added 'real_fathers' console command
- Added missing text EVTOPTA_WOL_415
- Fixed bug where the culture group trigger and religion group trigger did not properly check against other characters, making Indian Subjugation wars impossible to use.
- Christian pilgrim events now check for character's capital location rather than current location when checking for available destinations.
- Fixed a bug with the WoL scholarship events where an event might start repeating incorrectly.
- Fixed a faulty text tag reference in a Carousing boardgame event.
- Cooldown for Carousing is now visible in tooltip.
- Fixed a bug where characters could sometimes get both the Bastard and Legitimate Bastard traits.
- Heliopolis is now a temple holding instead of a city holding.
- Moved Kabul Zunist holy site to Nagarahara temple holding (in the same province).
- Moved Multan Zunist holy site to Mulasthana temple holding (in the same province).
- Updated faulty localisation function in the last event of the business focus trade route chain
- Fixed a crash when hovering an option in the event that let's you end the rivalry of a converted Christian
- Hungary should now get a crown authority law when forming from the Magyar decision
- The form Hungary decision no longer creates exponential amounts of troops
- Reworked Holmgang events to use personal combat skill rather than martial skill
- Reduced mean time to happen for Holmgang if you have War focus
- Fixed a rare case when duels could break
- Duels now potentially give the kinslayer trait
- Shortened the text of one outcome of duels to avoid long names making the text too large for the event window

MODDING:
- Fixed an error with change_variable for titles

CONVERTER:
- Fixed outdated modifiers in special national ideas, all global revolt risk has been changed to global unrest modifiers
- Fixed the four missing province mappings in eastern europe
- Added unique modifiers to some christian heresies
- Made sure to update the colors of all heresies to their CK2 variant of color
- Fixed so messalian and nestorian are converted correctly.
- Added proper icons for norse personal deities
- Arabic cultures now map to their corresponding one in EU4
- Steppe cultures now part of same culture group as turkish
- Moved visigothic to iberian culture group

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Approaching our forties and with no surviving male heir (our only son died of typhus in infancy :rip:), I asked for a divorce from my wife. The pope wouldn't grant it, so I had to kill her. I hope you're happy, pope.

I married a very young woman with high stats, and she quickly became pregnant, but the father turned out to be a rival patrician. I imprisoned her and then divorced her. She and her baby can live their entire lives in the oubliette.

Now I've married a born-in-the-purple Byzantine princess. Let's see how this turns out. I'll probably die of a cold or something before she gives birth. That's XCOM CKII.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^Edit: Apart from roleplay purposes, it doesn't matter if that kid wasn't your son, you should just have accepted him as your heir. Beggars can't be choosers, and since having unlanded adult males in your court is really important as a merchant republic, I personally am always grateful when my wife cucks me so that I have more dynasty members.

That makes sense. Yeah I was Doge but died. The oldest council member was like two generations older than my heir and I could not have bought the election with my entire treasury.

Right now when I raise my levies 90% of them show up in my county and 10% show up in Venice. :iiam:

You should still have the castle in Venice, right? That's where the 10% of your levies come from.

Spakstik posted:

As was already mentioned, it's in your best interest to not let the AI take over the republic, ever. You'll lose out on a significant amount of income and the AI will probably do a lot of stupid poo poo once it's in charge. Dump money into the campaign fund in the republic menu so your son will be elected as the next doge. You can also designate someone else from your dynasty to succeed you by awarding them the honorary title of Designated Heir, which can be revoked later if someone better comes along. Bear in mind that age counts for a fair bit when determining how many election points (or prestige, or whatever it's called) someone has, which is why you'll see the other houses in the republic fielding a bunch of old farts as their candidates. Early on when you don't have that much money you may need to rely on older and crappier candidates just to stay in power, but pretty soon you'll be swimming in money and can nominate 16-year olds to succeed you and drop a grand in their campaign fund to make up for their young age.

It is also important to remember that children cannot ever become doges. If your family is the only one with adult members, the election falls to your by default. The intrigue focus is extremely powerful, for assassinating rival patricians. Even if you don't reduce their family to infants, killing the oldest and most prestigious rivals will give your candidate a much better chance to win.

quote:

On the subject of merchant republics, is it a good or bad idea to give other patricians cities/holdings? I've been avoiding it under the assumption that it'd make them more powerful and a thorn in my side later, though now I'm a Grand Prince and I doubt it matters anymore. Does it create problems with vassalage? Like, can a patrician be a vassal under one of my vassals? I seem to recall running into a problem with this when I tried to give a duchy title to someone but couldn't because one of the county holders was a patrician.

It's never a good idea to give them holdings, for several reasons. For once, every additional title will generate prestige over time for the other patricians, making it that much harder/more expensive to win the election. Also, if they actually have a power base they can start to conquer trade posts from their rival patricians or other merchant republics. I learned that when I had a carefully balanced Venice trade zone and made my patricians into dukes under me. Then one of the patricians started attacking the other three families, one after another, and stole their trade posts, so that he had the majority in the region. I was not happy.

And patricians must always be your direct vassals, you cannot give them to somebody else. Let them rot in their family palaces.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 14, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Spakstik posted:

This was like my second generation dude, I figured it was more important to work on building a stable power base for my dynasty than to work on growing the Republic. I did lose a lot of income, dropping from 25 a month to 14, but I was prepared for that.Now, though, I definitely plan on holding onto the dogedom for the foreseeable future, I'm swatting away rival kings like flies and steadily carving a small Adriatic state out of the Lombards' lands. First I have to deal with my aforementioned dynastic crisis, though.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

It's never a good idea to give them holdings, for several reasons. For once, every additional title will generate prestige over time for the other patricians, making it that much harder/more expensive to win the election. Also, if they actually have a power base they can start to conquer trade posts from their rival patricians or other merchant republics. I learned that when I had a carefully balanced Venice trade zone and made my patricians into dukes under me. Then one of the patricians started attacking the other three families, one after another, and stole their trade posts, so that he had the majority in the region. I was not happy.

wait wait what? I was under the impression I was maximising the profitability of a given trade zone (In my case, the Gulf of Venice) by locking out all the other families and taking every single trade post in it for myself.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New patch just arrived

Groogy via the Paradox forums posted:

Hey guys!

Several major issues stamped out in this one. Sorry for any problems these might have given to people. Now get back in there and have fun.
There's also some converter changes thrown in to fix some minor details.

MAJOR:
- Fixed bug where vassal levies could not always be dismissed.
- Fixed crash issue on Linux when the AI tried to build settlements.

MINOR:
- Temple successors now get their liege's religion rather than their top liege's
- Rebalanced seduction to make it harder to seduce the spouses of great rulers
- AI: Reduced seduction craze a bit
- Seduction: increased risk of scandal
- Adjusted default message settings to reduce spam
- Fixed a grammar variable bug in event WoL.201
- Fixed a bug with event WoL.3050 happening for a single character only
- Fixed a bug with event 63103, where vassals of vassals could go independent with Elective Gavelkind succession
- Fixed a minor issue with the court where some newborn bastards ended up
- Fixed text bug in event WoL.11000, which referred to the recipient rather than the actor
- Better tooltips in the event options for WoL.11000
- Better tooltips in event WoL.11006
- Fixed some problems with the 'inbred' trait calculations
- Added 'real_fathers' console command
- Added missing text EVTOPTA_WOL_415
- Fixed bug where the culture group trigger and religion group trigger did not properly check against other characters, making Indian Subjugation wars impossible to use.
- Christian pilgrim events now check for character's capital location rather than current location when checking for available destinations.
- Fixed a bug with the WoL scholarship events where an event might start repeating incorrectly.
- Fixed a faulty text tag reference in a Carousing boardgame event.
- Cooldown for Carousing is now visible in tooltip.
- Fixed a bug where characters could sometimes get both the Bastard and Legitimate Bastard traits.
- Heliopolis is now a temple holding instead of a city holding.
- Moved Kabul Zunist holy site to Nagarahara temple holding (in the same province).
- Moved Multan Zunist holy site to Mulasthana temple holding (in the same province).
- Updated faulty localisation function in the last event of the business focus trade route chain
- Fixed a crash when hovering an option in the event that let's you end the rivalry of a converted Christian
- Hungary should now get a crown authority law when forming from the Magyar decision
- The form Hungary decision no longer creates exponential amounts of troops
- Reworked Holmgang events to use personal combat skill rather than martial skill
- Reduced mean time to happen for Holmgang if you have War focus
- Fixed a rare case when duels could break
- Duels now potentially give the kinslayer trait
- Shortened the text of one outcome of duels to avoid long names making the text too large for the event window

MODDING:
- Fixed an error with change_variable for titles

CONVERTER:
- Fixed outdated modifiers in special national ideas, all global revolt risk has been changed to global unrest modifiers
- Fixed the four missing province mappings in eastern europe
- Added unique modifiers to some christian heresies
- Made sure to update the colors of all heresies to their CK2 variant of color
- Fixed so messalian and nestorian are converted correctly.
- Added proper icons for norse personal deities
- Arabic cultures now map to their corresponding one in EU4
- Steppe cultures now part of same culture group as turkish
- Moved visigothic to iberian culture group

I love that there's three separate entries about seduction. :allears:

EDIT: Oh drat Groogy, you were fast there. Almost as if you had some sort of inside knowledge.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Patch is indeed up.

Hail Satan, I can continue on with my aspergers eugenics program now.

quote:

This is very good, my Vikings were getting poo poo stomped by 15k stacks of holy knights pre 1000AD. Something was off.

Neif fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 14, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wait wait what? I was under the impression I was maximising the profitability of a given trade zone (In my case, the Gulf of Venice) by locking out all the other families and taking every single trade post in it for myself.

That's generally right, but the Gulf of Venice can only hold 11 trade posts, and it's easy get more than 12 trade posts within 100 years, let alone 300, 400 or 500 years after game start, where you can build dozens of them. And you always want to have all your trade posts in one giant trade zone. This is a bit tricky as Venice since you must get through the Adriatic Sea and Strait of Otranto until you even get a choice where to continue, and I was thus a bit stretched for trade posts. That's why I didn't build all of them in the Gulf of Venice, though in hindsight I should have plopped down 6 there just to be on the safe side.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

That's generally right, but the Gulf of Venice can only hold 11 trade posts, and it's easy get more than 12 trade posts within 100 years, let alone 300, 400 or 500 years after game start, where you can build dozens of them. And you always want to have all your trade posts in one giant trade zone. This is a bit tricky as Venice since you must get through the Adriatic Sea and Strait of Otranto until you even get a choice where to continue, and I was thus a bit stretched for trade posts. That's why I didn't build all of them in the Gulf of Venice, though in hindsight I should have plopped down 6 there just to be on the safe side.

I have nearly all of them because I'm a giant rear end in a top hat

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Neif posted:

Patch is indeed up.

Hail Satan, I can continue on with my aspergers eugenics program now.

This is very good, my Vikings were getting poo poo stomped by 15k stacks of holy knights pre 1000AD. Something was off.

Yeah, I got sick and tired of constantly having to kill Sweden/Denmark/Norway's poo poo army as Skåne, then to suddenly have to face gigantic armies from nowhere coming to their aid. Though it did give some nice narrative for me. I shall never rest until I've killed every last Knights Hospatiler!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I have nearly all of them because I'm a giant rear end in a top hat

On a related note I just solved my heir problem by knocking up the daughter of the patrician who knocked up my second wife. :smug:

e: "Port seized". :smug::smug::smug::smug:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
When do you think Charlemagne (and Way of Life) will go on sale? Was disappointed to not see it on Steam's Winter Sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Playing Hellenic is tedious bullshit regardless, you get no content whatsoever, no interesting mechanics whatsoever, I don't think you even get Holy Wars and your vassals will never convert non-pagans no matter how zealous they are.

Which leads to strange poo poo, like a Hellenic Byzantium with a staunchly Orthodox Agean core that then proceeds to flash-convert the Carpathian basin as soon as the conquer the Avars.

Groogy posted:

No and never will be :colbert:

I wouldn't underestimate those Monemvasia loons if I were you, those people are seriously dedicated.

• Locked thread