Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

is it anyone's business? yea I mean technically if someone wants to see how the money they are donating is being spent then it sure is

but lets not imply they don't deserve to get paid for the time running it (especially since it went much better this year than last year)

thats a lot of money raised for charity and pretty small overhead in GDQ expenses and even small overhead when considering the relatively small overhead that PCF has

are there nonprofits where more money goes toward their cause of choice than PCF? yea, but still PCF is a good charity and its well within the bounds of reasonable expenses

When PCF is paying for superfluous positions like "video editor" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sBkWl53oHs it makes me wonder how hard those scientists are working on cancer research™

I hope this guy doesn't regurgitate peer-reviewed testings and go "YEP THEY WERE RIGHT $75,000 WELL SPENT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MVP posted:

When PCF is paying for superfluous positions like "video editor" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sBkWl53oHs it makes me wonder how hard those scientists are working on cancer research™

I hope this guy doesn't regurgitate peer-reviewed testings and go "YEP THEY WERE RIGHT $75,000 WELL SPENT"

What... what are you even bitching about here? A video for the marathon by "GilderTek Industries" that somehow segues into some bizarrely wild speculation as to whether some researcher will use the money wisely based on a one-paragraph abstract?

Seriously, what?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MVP posted:

Wow you really are a special flower :allears:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I work with what the bare bones site gives me

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

flyboi posted:

Wow you really are a special flower :allears:

He's da real mvp, just look at his user name. :allears:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
To be fair I looked at PCF's Young Investigator Progress Reports:

http://www.pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.6147035/k.A323/Progress_Reports.htm

I guess with PhDs they couldn't bother updating their work lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MVP posted:

you are fuckin dumb as hell

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

he's just Asking Questions

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MVP posted:

dude you arent a funny shitposter like blackbabygoku or widestancer

either stop shitposting or learn to actually be funny

your posts just make you look like a weirdo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MVP posted:

:allears:

If you're serious about caring about your charity selection, this site has some good tips and offers ratings of charities for financial responsibility and transparency:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=419

If however you just want to stir up some lovely drama please gently caress off.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also just gently caress off in general either way tho

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MVP posted:

Actually, that's one thing that needs to be done. Metastudies have found that the vast majority of peer-reviewed studies in medical fields aren't replicable on retesting, but people pay for novel research rather than trying to confirm something.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

MVP posted:

lol indeed also dont post in this thread anymore haha lol because i looked at all of your previous posts and hahah hold on... pfffahahaha... hahahahahha... and.. aa. and theyre real bad

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, that's one thing that needs to be done. Metastudies have found that the vast majority of peer-reviewed studies in medical fields aren't replicable on retesting, but people pay for novel research rather than trying to confirm something.

Metastudies are also quite statistics heavy, hard to put together and can often lead to better research practices by eliminating inherent biases and analyzing what is an effective sample size. It isn't like they're doing a book report of articles they printed off Google scholar.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Kewpuh posted:

lol indeed also dont post in this thread anymore haha lol because i looked at all of your previous posts and hahah hold on... pfffahahaha... hahahahahha... and.. aa. and theyre real bad

The funny part i believe he was going for is that he linked to the wrong pcf, I could be wrong, his humor may be too highbrow for me to get.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm a bit on the fence about donating to the MSF too though. I here that they spend the money on developing some sort of nuclear-equipped bipedal walking tank.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Woops I am dumb as hell I linked the wrong P(rostrate)CF website now I know even less about P(revent)CF. That makes the lack of updates on their research okay.

Regardless of name I'm hoping that the researchers are working so hard that they can't get around to posting any research in a 3-4 year time span.

Random Stranger posted:

So PhDs doing a half-assed job. Wonder where they got their funds from.

Cancer Research is a billion dollar industry with an upcharge rate in America and trying to legitimately find out how the money and effort is being spent shouldn't be this hard and is not "lovely" drama. Please do not stone me for questioning thy lord.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You know if you have that many probations in such a short time they should really jack up how long you're probated for. Get this guy out of here for like a month or something

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

MVP posted:

Woops I am dumb as hell

Well then, cya

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MVP posted:

Woops I am dumb as hell I linked the wrong P(rostrate)CF website now I know even less about P(revent)CF. That makes the lack of updates on their research okay.

Regardless of name I'm hoping that the researchers are working so hard that they can't get around to posting any research in a 3-4 year time span.

So PhDs doing a half-assed job. Wonder where they got their funds from.

Cancer Research is a billion dollar industry with an upcharge rate in America and trying to legitimately find out how the money and effort is being spent shouldn't be this hard and is not "lovely" drama. Please do not stone me for questioning thy lord.

Epic

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm a bit on the fence about donating to the MSF too though. I here that they spend the money on developing some sort of nuclear-equipped bipedal walking tank.
So you won't donate 'cause there's a chance your donation won't go to the development of that? :v:

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 14, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

this sounds like all the more reason to donate to them imo

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I've donated to these causes and the customer is always right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
The thread that keeps on giving even after the event is over.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Metastudies are also quite statistics heavy, hard to put together and can often lead to better research practices by eliminating inherent biases and analyzing what is an effective sample size. It isn't like they're doing a book report of articles they printed off Google scholar.

Yep. I was just using the opportunity to raise an interesting problem with medical research that I think most people are unaware of.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I can't see his rap sheet from the app, did he just set a level record for games forum probation speed? That's what he was doing, right? I can't wait for his run of other forums!

Think he'll go with :10bux: to kill the animals when he does the pet island level?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

MVP posted:

I've donated to these causes and the customer is always right.

If you're mad your donation dollars don't go directly to funding research have I got news for you about your tax dollars.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

pointlessone posted:

I can't see his rap sheet from the app, did he just set a level record for games forum probation speed? That's what he was doing, right? I can't wait for his run of other forums!

Think he'll go with :10bux: to kill the animals when he does the pet island level?

To be fair, as idiotic as he is, he's still a better poster than ArfJason. Games 2015: "You're all human being supremes in the retard council"

e: VVVVVV

He makes me laugh occasionally, but outside of impzone he's 10% good posts and 90% white noise.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 14, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ullerrm posted:

To be fair, as idiotic as he is, he's still a better poster than ArfJason.

woa!!! arfjason is a forums treasure

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

ullerrm posted:

To be fair, as idiotic as he is, he's still a better poster than ArfJason. Games 2015: "You're all human being supremes in the retard council"

He makes me laugh occasionally, but outside of impzone he's 10% good posts and 90% white noise.

He's right

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ullerrm posted:

you really seem to have started posting a lot more outside the EVE thread, or at least ive noticed you more

i like it!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

UraniumAnchor posted:

I, personally, am ok with Werster wanting the only copies of the run to be on our channel and his own personal channel, but I'm not sure how to word that in a legal sense so that it's unambiguous. Plus how do we handle things like the couch crew? Do they have the right to have non-official videos taken down? It's still a bit up in the air at this point, so all I'll say right now is:

Don't monetize our videos if you had nothing to do with them.

I AM NOT A LAWYER THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Generally what you want to do is state in the contract that the players are performing a work for hire for you for the compensation of appearing in ADGQ. the ADGQ recording is copyrighted by you, and that you offer a non-transferable rebroadcast license for the section that they appear in. You can attach other things to that license in plain english like "That license does not grant you the ability to profit from it, including but not limited to Youtube Ads, subscriptions, or reselling the work"

You'll also want language like "You grant us permission to use your performance, likeness, and any other media you appear in, including but not limited to, photographs, audio recordings, in future productions related to the promotion of future shows."

You should consult with an entertainment lawyer to get a proper release contract drafted up if you don't have one. A generic form online isn't enough to cover all the liability you could be in.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 14, 2015

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

pagancow posted:

Audio Feedback

This year was a massive improvement to last years audio, giving everybody a mic headset was tremendous for being able to hear the action unfold from the players, and their support groups.

That being said there is always room for improvement. I noticed that the entire stream was gated pretty heavily, which created sections of blank audio which could have been confusing to some watchers. "Is my audio on? is something wrong with twitch?". Just like on radio, you never want to go completely silent, as its distracting for the viewer. I noticed that music started to get played during downtimes later so that was an improvement as you went along. I would personally not gate the microphones since gate is generally used on drums to create clean recordings where you know there will always be sharp transients. Gate on voice if ever used is at a very very low setting, just right above the noise floor, otherwise it can sound very unnatural as there is complete silence in the middle of talking sometimes.

This is definitely something that was improved as the event goes on. The thresholds were set too high and additionally the crowd mic was not loud enough by a significant margin. I tweaked that as I had time (about 3 days in, when the tracker stopped killing my servers because of an infinite loop :v:)

I 100% agree that no audio is very off-putting. I don't actually use a hard gate, I sort of bastardize an expander instead to at least ramp it up instead of being full on-off. As you explain below though I know it's not the best choice.

Finally, yeah, music is something that I wanted running all the time in general, but the current setup is pretty hard for junior tech guys to use. Automating that was one of many things I had to place on the backburner after Mike fell ill.

quote:

Instead a better solution for live audio is Side Chain compression (even multiband compression, as it can function as an EQ as well). Side chain compression basically states, "hey use this compression setting, when you get audio over or under a certain DB from these other channels. What this can do, is automate the game audio which was set very low the entire time, between people talking. This works much better than a gate to create clean audio since the game is allowed to shine when players aren't talking. It also helps with your limited personel concerns as the only thing a person needs to do is set an audio fader for as loud as the game/talker is and then run with it.

Because of the wide dynamic range of game audio you'll run into (NES games probably having the highest RMS, while Xbox360 games having the lowest) you'll need to be able to account for that. It might be useful to have two settings of sidechain compression, one for LOUD games, and one for quiet games. I'm unfamilar with the hardware you used, but if it's a hardware board it shouldn't be too hard to create scenes for it.

Pointing a lav in the general direction of the crowd can be good for picking up clean crowd reactions, and I would place a slow gate on that so you only get their reaction when they cheer. Just hanging one from the ceiling can be enough if the pickup pattern is wide enough.

Really you guys have it almost there, it's just about configuring the mixing board in a smart way so that it basically runs on autopilot, and all you have to train tech to do is set levels properly. Of course you still need to react if people go from a mumble to screaming uncontrollably.

100%, love this post, thank you. I definitely don't know enough about good compressor usage yet, it's something I need to really read up on more. Sadly, many of the other tech volunteers who show up have theater background, so while they're great for setting up mics and such, they don't know anything about compressors either.

We use a condenser pencil mic pointed in the crowd for crowd reactions, which actually has done a fantastic job itself, I just really didn't give it the opportunity to do its job. I didn't really push the levels on that guy until near the end.

Also, just for reference, all of our hardware is just one digital mixer, a Behringer X32. I know it's got plenty of options for various compressor setups, and even has a multi-band compressor somewhere in the effects bin, so I can probably manage what you've described. Just need to get some experience with it first.

pagancow posted:

You should consult with an entertainment lawyer to get a proper release contract drafted up if you don't have one. A generic form online isn't enough to cover all the liability you could be in.

Just a heads up, the waiver (actually termed an agreement now) that we use for all attendees was handled by a lawyer Mike hired for the business last year. It's no longer a generic form, thankfully.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I'm not personally familiar with that audio board, but it looks like its beefy enough for you to do everything I described, and even more with talkbacks to your players . They make headset/mic combos that work well with this kind of setup so you can pipe their game audio in + whatever talkback audio you want from tech to each player.

It can be useful in a live situation when you need to prompt them to say, or not to say something.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I actually think some people deserve to be paid for their work?

As an organization GDQ raised what, 2.1 million between AGDQ and SGDQ, and 1.5million already with just AGDQ this year? Any other organization that makes ~2 million a year absolutely has people they're paying.

Considering whoever the main organizer/scheduler is probably gets about a week tops after this event is done(keeping in mind they still have to figure out/organize raffle prize winners), before they have to start thinking and scheduling SGDQ. I guess what I'm saying is the main guy (Mike Uyama I guess people say?) that organizes this should maybe consider doing it as a full time job.

Although then people would start listing it on sites that track how much goes to funding/how much goes to admin and what peoples salaries are, and start making bad posts about it.

Anyway, this has grown from a cool event a couple guys did over a few days in a small room, to an event that they can sell tickets and gets 100k+ viewers a day, I hope they can navigate everything that comes along with having this grow!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ullerrm posted:

"Hahaha you loving human being, youre such a stupid unfunny moron, i only even laugh at ONE out of every ten of your posts, pathetic lil bitch."

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The dude who did the Boshy run at AGDQ is streaming and he was saying that bonus stream was just them hoping that they wouldn't get kicked out, and the hotel kicked them out. I figured it was just scheduled to be short!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Geight posted:

The dude who did the Boshy run at AGDQ is streaming and he was saying that bonus stream was just them hoping that they wouldn't get kicked out, and the hotel kicked them out. I figured it was just scheduled to be short!

You figured right! He figured wrong!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

As an organization GDQ raised what, 2.1 million between AGDQ and SGDQ, and 1.5million already with just AGDQ this year? Any other organization that makes ~2 million a year absolutely has people they're paying.

Considering whoever the main organizer/scheduler is probably gets about a week tops after this event is done(keeping in mind they still have to figure out/organize raffle prize winners), before they have to start thinking and scheduling SGDQ. I guess what I'm saying is the main guy (Mike Uyama I guess people say?) that organizes this should maybe consider doing it as a full time job.

Although then people would start listing it on sites that track how much goes to funding/how much goes to admin and what peoples salaries are, and start making bad posts about it.

Anyway, this has grown from a cool event a couple guys did over a few days in a small room, to an event that they can sell tickets and gets 100k+ viewers a day, I hope they can navigate everything that comes along with having this grow!

It's already Uyama's fulltime job and has been since like 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

Uyama has been contracted (IE paid) for a couple years now to do the events. GDQ LLC was created this year to put on the events, but the people who are being paid are contracted directly by the charity to reduce the amount of paperwork required, because dealing with employment taxes and such is an extra layer GDQ doesn't need to deal with. This year at AGDQ 13 people were contracted by PCF according to Mike. I don't think the list of people contracted for SGDQ was released, but MSF does contract Mike I believe; I know for sure they reimburse for some expenses.

GDQ LLC is private so they have no requirement for salary disclosure, but this is irrelevant since they also do not employ anyone. PCF/MSF are registered charities so the president's salary and the top 5 employees compensated above $100,000 are public, but clearly nobody from GDQ is listed there.

The budget at least for SGDQ was made available after it ended, and Mike indicated then that he plans to post numbers a month or two after each GDQ event. Since nobody's being paid from GDQ, salary information is still private and that's okay.

• Locked thread