Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

What the gently caress is up with those quotation marks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Reminder that Tinsley's pretty old so something like "Public Relations" is some fancy new neologism to him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
There's chaos in the DbD comments.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh god his website. :freep:

ty
I don't remember hearing about any other nominee's college transcripts at all outside of it being pointed out W was a C student at Yale or whatever.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mordiceius posted:

There's chaos in the DbD comments.

Go on....

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Reminder that Tinsley's pretty old so something like "Public Relations" is some fancy new neologism to him.
They make slightly more sense as quotes around the entire phrase "PR stunt like Sony".

Anyways. I trust we are all too familiar with the extended story of Punic Wars, so I don't need to annotate these?

The Mercenaries revolt against Hanno.

Fabius threatens to flash the Carthaginian Senate.

I hold in my toga peace and war; choose ye which ye will have.

Tiny!Hannibal swears to ever hate the Romans. Hamilcar, Hasdrubal 2, Hasdrubal 7 and Hasdrubal 25 (the Great) look on in approval.

Hannibal crosses the Alps, sneezing out an eye and having a thoroughly miserable time of it.

Cunctator (see above link, re: Fabius) pursues Hannibal, slowly but surely.

Scipio Africanus junior proves himself not incontinent (Help, this book is infecting me with terrible worldplay)

Hannibal leads the Roman ambassadors / spies on a walk around Carthage before leaving to join Antiotchus.

Hannibal leaves a pretend fortune with the priests of Crete (before escaping with his real treasure inside a hollowed statue)

Hannibal, pursued by the Romans to the ends of the earth, ends it all by... oh, you kinda got that one from the picture. Fair enough.

(I literally squeed when I first saw this. A 19th century equivalent of tumblr style "if this historical personage was a pony, what kind of pony would they be*"?)

* The answer is, as always, "the kind I want to bone

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 14, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Xander77 posted:

Hannibal, pursued by the Romans to the ends of the earth, ends it all by... oh, you kinda got that one from the picture. Fair enough.

(I literally squeed when I first saw this. A 19th century equivalent of tumblr style "if this historical personage was a pony, what kind of pony would they be*"?)

This rules

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I have never seen a Muir comic where he makes coherent sense, or his dialogue isn't garbage word soup, or he's had a correct historical fact or a non-vile opinion.

Muir might be the worst one. I think I'm convinced.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ugh. This one is A) not much of a cartoon, just words in a grid (seriously, I can barely draw and I could have made this) and B) has false information in the very first panel. Given that that this incident is all anyone (except Rall) has been able to talk about, you'd think someone would have told ol' Fishy that the attackers were linked to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, not ISIS. Sort of makes me wonder if I can trust anything else in the cartoon.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Xander77 posted:

They make slightly more sense as quotes around the entire phrase "PR stunt like Sony".

Anyways. I trust we are all too familiar with the extended story of Punic Wars, so I don't need to annotate these?

The Mercenaries revolt against Hanno.

Fabius threatens to flash the Carthaginian Senate.

I hold in my toga peace and war; choose ye which ye will have.

Tiny!Hannibal swears to ever hate the Romans. Hamilcar, Hasdrubal 2, Hasdrubal 7 and Hasdrubal 25 (the Great) look on in approval.

Hannibal crosses the Alps, sneezing out an eye and having a thoroughly miserable time of it.

Cunctator (see above link, re: Fabius) pursues Hannibal, slowly but surely.

Scipio Africanus junior proves himself not incontinent (Help, this book is infecting me with terrible worldplay)

Hannibal lead the Roman ambassadors / spies on a walk around Carthage before leaving to join Antiotchus.

Hannibal leaves a pretend fortune with the priests of Crete (before escaping with his real treasure inside a hollowed statue)

These are adorable! Where did you find them?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pththya-lyi posted:

These are adorable! Where did you find them?
The Comic History of Rome. It's not bad, if a bit overtly flowery and far too fond of piling terrible puns upon terrible puns. Not quite as good at the Russian Satirikon's World History (obviously), but still.

I kinda want to catch a Roman historian (a historian of Rome, not the other way around) and ask him how many of the common myths disproved in these 19th century publications are still cited by B.A students.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
A spread from the new issue of Charlie Hebdo, translations mostly not by me

First results of the aftermath

Pros
1. "All together"

I am Charlie

2. Philippe Katerine (French singer) gives you weed the next day

3. "We love you", "I love you, my love, you are alive!", "we love you"

4. Madonna supports "Charlie". "And I'm throwing my panties to them"

5. We can smoke at Liberation (Charlie Hebdo worked on this edition from the offices of French newspaper Liberation).

6. "The French government donates 1 million for 'Charlie'."

"Google starts a subscription" "and me", "and me"

Cons
1. People singing the French national anthem

2. Shaking hands with 'Manuel Valls.

3. Flags down, libido down. "It'll come back my love".

4. Angela Merkel, too. "Ich bin nein wearing panties".

5. "Lung cancer you idiots." "Sorry Charb"

6. [the murder of his colleagues]

Start of the procession

A few sketches from the January 11 gathering, seen from our 'backstages', by Luz & Coco

First drawing left

We see friends we haven't seen for a while.

"I am with you my friends"

"Thanks Renaud (French singer) for being here!"

Next (man in a chair)

Robert Badinter (high-profile French criminal lawyer, university professor and politician) is classy, even with a hat on.

Next (group holding banner)

The journalists' union is behind us.

"We are Charlie"

Next (group of French politicians)

French politicians form a group behind us. Borloo (French politician) seems scribbled over by Tignous (one of the cartoonists who died in the attacks) and Jospin (another politician) seems like he is stuck on one of Honore's drawings.

(All the names underneath are French politicians'.)

It seemed like every one of them came out of an old edition of "Charlie Hebdo". We would have gladly swapped them for one of the sexy ladies Wolinski used to draw.

Second line of drawings

Left (group with big 'je suis charlie' banner)

The photographers getting ready to shoot

Next (two people hugging)

We hug the family of Franky, the policeman who lost his life while protecting Charb.

Next (text above a bus)

We see the buses transporting world leaders: Netanyahu - Charb loved to draw this uptight torturer - and Merkel - uncle Bernard used to criticise her liberal policies - are in there.

Framed text under the drawing:

We would have liked Mustapha (Ourrad, a copy editor who died in the attacks) to be with us to correct all this absurdity with a red pen, and Elsa (Cayat, psychoanalyst who wrote for Charlie Hebdo and also died in the attacks) to convince us that we were in a bad Lacanian dream. We marched anyway, marched, marched, marched as much as we could, and then we saw anonymous people, readers, infidels, subscribers, newspaper sellers, disappointed people, angry people, we saw dozens of you, thousands and millions of you, and suddenly a Trenet (Charles Trenet was a French singer) drawn by Cabus started singing in our heads.

Sunday, January 11.
More people for Charlie than for Mass

Drawing underneath on the left:

The French extreme right party (Front National)'s counter demonstration
"We are at home", "I am delighted", "I am racist", "I am Charlie Martel"

Next: a flame under L'Arc de Triomphe

"I've got a boner"

Next: picture of French politicians with Francois Hollande and Nicolas Sarkozy on the front)

One family of clowns lost; 10 others found.

these ones are in English

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh god his website. :freep:

This AGC's itself so loving hard, it almost sets a record. Yes, it would seem silly to make a big deal out of somebody's college transcripts, wouldn't it?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Exclamation Marx posted:

"I am Charlie Martel"
That historical reference is more clever than the FN can ever hope to be.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Exclamation Marx posted:

these ones are in English
As he's the best cartoonist in Britain's best (only?) satirical newspaper, I'm really happy to see David Ziggy Greene included here,even if he is more vox pop than biting satire :3: He also publishes in French so I imagine the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists did know of him beforehand.

Are there any other international submissions?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

frankenfreak posted:

That historical reference is more clever than the FN can ever hope to be.

As far as I know it's been used either by Marine or her dad but I might be mistaken. Honestly seeing it just reeks of the francisque to me (also the insistance that it was Tours and not Poitiers is quite funny since it's mostly to skirt around the matter that Martel was invading Aquitaine and may possibly not have given a gently caress about the andalusians at first, basically they were both invading the same country).

Also from Dutreix, in Fluide Glacial (normally a comic thing but I figure it's more political than their normal stuff and in this case I figure Charlie stuff in general is probably better off in political cartoons), stumbled upon it

"I see that you will be murdered by terrorists... In your memory, the bells of Notre-Dame will toll, there will be a great parade with Hollande, Valls, Sarkozy, Cope, Merkel, Cameron and even Netanyahu... There will be tricolor flags and the Marseillaise will be sung... There will be calls for your pantheonisation The pantheon is basically a temple to the great men of the republic, includes people like Marie Curie, Alexandre Dumas, Voltaire, NASDAQ and the French Academy will say "Je suis Charlie" and the Pope will pray for you..."

And god, the last person I heard use the word "pepee" was my grandmother; it's not so much outdated as it makes me feel a bit of nostalgia

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rorus Raz posted:

It really chaps my rear end that he's been signing his "cartoons" as "Slightly Above Average Joe" since he's easily one of the worst cartoonists here, easily worse than most of the poo poo people dredge up from DeviantArt.

And I swear it's intentional. Like a smug, knowing little grin that he's all too aware that he doesn't deserve to have this job.

The scale:

Joe Stalin
Joe Arpaio
Joe Paterno
Joe the Plumber
Joe Liccar
Joe Pesci
Joe Mangianello
Joe Strummer

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Kegluneq posted:

As he's the best cartoonist in Britain's best (only?) satirical newspaper, I'm really happy to see David Ziggy Greene included here,even if he is more vox pop than biting satire :3: He also publishes in French so I imagine the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists did know of him beforehand.

Are there any other international submissions?

Yes, a blurry photo of a page with Derf among others was posted upthread. Hopefully Kurtofan or somebody else can get their hands one one and post it here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I haven't been posting Canberra cartoons in a little while, oops. To be fair, most of David Pope's recent stuff's already been posted:

The Canberra Times are so excited that everybody's seen Pope's Charlie Hedbo cartoons that they actually wrote a news article about it (OK I know that says Brisbane Times but all the online Fairfax papers share/repost each other's stories and I couldn't find it on the Canberra website. It was near the top of the page for a few days though)

Biggest news to hit Canberra: your posting

Anyway, here's some non-charlie ones.

First, an incredibly local one:

There's like one highway that connects Conder and the other southside suburbs to the rest of the city and it was closed to rebuild the sewer lines to support a new fire station. Everybody from that far south is so pissed off at the traffic problems this has created that it's hilarious. To me, since I don't live that far south and get to listen to everyone bitch about it at work :allears:
The Light Rail system for Canberra is... I don't even know, man. Local Labor said they were gonna build it and everybody is opposed to it (sometimes for hilariously spurious reasons).

Something more federal:

Noted Fucker PM Tony Abbott promised he would no longer introduce a... wait I need to go further back on this one

So in Australia you can go to a bulk-billing public doctor's office and get free doctor's appointments and it's great - the publicly funded medicare will give the doctor a rebate. Something like that. They're not super-common unfortunately, but they're great (non-bulk-billed public doctors charge I guess a nominal fee. I haven't been to one, I've been to private doctors which weren't very expensive but were fuckin terrible, and a bulk-bill place that is free and will do minor surgery).

Tones and team LNP talked about introducing a new mandatory GP fee of like $7 per doctor's appointment. Which everybody is against because gently caress you our taxes pay for our doctor's appointments and that'll just clog up emergency departments etc. So he backed down on that to a $5 fee, then backed down on that to say 'no no, no fees, don't be silly'. Then he cut the medicare rebate for short doctor's appointments by $20 to essentially make a GP fee of $20, because that's something he can do without having to pass anything thru parliament and parliament's not currently in session so it's harder to yell at him.

Also some kid got stung by a jellyfish and nearly died earlier this week I think??

So that explains the jellyfish/GP fee. The rest of it is Queensland called a snap election for 31st January. LNP's currently in charge up there, and everybody reckons they called it for then because Tony's overseas and can't gently caress up their chances by showing his incredibly unpopular face.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Put that second speech bubble on Cameron for added effect!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Xander77 posted:

Punic Wars

I find the Punic Wars fascinating and think that Hannibal was pretty much the biggest badass to ever live - what was the story about him leading spies around Carthage? I know a lot of kooky poo poo gets attributed to him (like setting oxes on fire and running them down a narrow pass where Romans where on the other side, or using snakes in pots as "hand grenades"), but I would still love to hear the story.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Art Spiegelman already did that one.

Several years ago, after the Jyllands Posten thing, some people in (IIRC) Iran decided to expose the heathen westerners for the hypocrites they were and organized an antisemitic cartoon contest, to say "let's see if you really like freedom of speech". And the obvious result was several Jewish cartoonists entering the competition. Art Spiegelman's entry was an old Jew chastising a crying child holding a picture of money, and telling him something like "let this be a lesson for you, Abie: it is forbidden to depict the Profit!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Russian cartoonists weigh in on Paris attacks:

Russian media is really committed at creating the contrarian cartoon supervillain image out of the whole country.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is that Russian cartoonist saying they are burning in hell for saying bad things about Marine Le Pen.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Is that Russian cartoonist saying they are burning in hell for saying bad things about Marine Le Pen.

Well, the FN does get russian money.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Agnosticnixie posted:

Well, the FN does get russian money.

Government money? How much?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is possible to care about a place without also bombing the poo poo out of it

A reminder that sending people to help with Ebola was considered western imperialism by Latuff.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Government money? How much?

Not sure, Marion Marechal seemed to think it was a good thing though (also she has a silly name and I can't wait for them to trot out Marechal, nous voila as a campaign song, which she's probably stupid enough to consider seriously). There's at least a 9 million dollar loan and the russian ambassador has been meeting JMLP, Marine and her niece Marion Marechal in both public and private circumstances a lot.

Nouvel Obs had a piece on it two months ago

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Better get to learning Russian then

edit: hopefully it won't take ninety years for the Russian empire to fall this time.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 14, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fulchrum posted:

A reminder that sending people to help with Ebola was considered western imperialism by Latuff.

The West and the US in particular doesn't have a great history with disaster relief. The militarised response to the Haitian earthquake in 2010 was effectively a seige of Port-au-Prince and evacuation and relief work was based on US priorities to the exclusion of local and other foreign aid groups.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Hm, yes, I'm sure other studios want a film which could have been profitable to flop and lose millions of dollars because people were too scared to go and see it for fear of a terrorist attack.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Cat Mattress posted:

Several years ago, after the Jyllands Posten thing, some people in (IIRC) Iran decided to expose the heathen westerners for the hypocrites they were and organized an antisemitic cartoon contest, to say "let's see if you really like freedom of speech". And the obvious result was several Jewish cartoonists entering the competition. Art Spiegelman's entry was an old Jew chastising a crying child holding a picture of money, and telling him something like "let this be a lesson for you, Abie: it is forbidden to depict the Profit!"

Holy poo poo :lol:
European Even-Handedness

Our campaign is about to close
If you're gonna' join, now's the time.
http://igg.me/at/drybones
Labels: 2015, antisemitism, Boycott, Europe, France, Islamists, Jews, Occupation, Palestine, Paris, terror, terror attacks

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Hm, yes, I'm sure other studios want a film which could have been profitable to flop and lose millions of dollars because people were too scared to go and see it for fear of a terrorist attack.
If it flopped it's because people said it sucked. People were lining up to do their patriotic duty to see a mediocre comedy.

The real reason Tinsley is wrong is because no corporation wants their dirty laundry aired like Sony endured for a few weeks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Tinsley's Interview Trutherism is both the most idiotic thing I've ever heard and also the most Tinsley thing I've ever heard. The only thing he hates more than Communism is Hollywood, and he will contort his mind as much as is necessary to not have to take one of their sides.

Rygar201 posted:

I read it as more a commentary on how much less coverage a Massacre of 2000+ Africans received than the killing of a dozen westerners

The cartoon maybe, but not the posts I was responding to when I wrote that.

Gilganixon posted:

The West and the US in particular doesn't have a great history with disaster relief. The militarised response to the Haitian earthquake in 2010 was effectively a seige of Port-au-Prince and evacuation and relief work was based on US priorities to the exclusion of local and other foreign aid groups.

Welp, best do nothing at all then, oh wait that's bad too. Welp, best tear down our entire country because otherwise we might get our humanitarian aid wrong.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Look at that silly Jimmy Carter, thinking the attack on Charlie Hebdo was caused by the systematic marginalisation of muslim communities.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JaggerMcDagger posted:

European Even-Handedness

Labels: 2015, antisemitism, Boycott, Europe, France, Islamists, Jews, Occupation, Palestine, Paris, terror, terror attacks

Now those two are friends. They don't look like they'd disagree on anything nor would they commit arbitrary acts of violence against one another.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Look at that silly Jimmy Carter, thinking the attack on Charlie Hebdo was caused by the systematic marginalisation of muslim communities.

Did they add Jimmy Carter to the new Borderlands?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

I find the Punic Wars fascinating and think that Hannibal was pretty much the biggest badass to ever live - what was the story about him leading spies around Carthage? I know a lot of kooky poo poo gets attributed to him (like setting oxes on fire and running them down a narrow pass where Romans where on the other side, or using snakes in pots as "hand grenades"), but I would still love to hear the story.
After the Second Punic war, when Rome was dictating its will to Carthage and Hannibal spent a lot of time trying to start a new war. When that failed, he gave the Romans the slip and slipped away (exactly the sort of quality wordplay you can expect in Comic History) to join a new benefactor (whom he, in turn, tried to convince to fight the Romans, to no avail, and so forth)

fatherboxx posted:

Russian cartoonists weigh in on Paris attacks:

Russian media is really committed at creating the contrarian cartoon supervillain image out of the whole country.
Welp. The one bit of Russian news coverage I saw was an outright dumb and so goddamn crazy (or at least shrill and actively hysterical) reporter screeching about :
Millions of Muslims in France.
Billions of new mosques, no new Catholic houses of worship.
A "House of Islamic Culture" (what kind of culture could Muslims possibly have?) funded by Parisian taxpayers.
That's not enough for those people - another Islamic museum is being built right across the street, for a billion million Francs.

Charlie Hebdo (apparently) weren't fond of this overtly tolerant approach towards der Untermensches. They mocked Muslims, the EU, Merkel etc (they also sucked down Putin's big manly cock as every good journo should - not said, but actively implied).

I sorta assumed that was going to be the Russian spin.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also from Dutreix, in Fluide Glacial (normally a comic thing but I figure it's more political than their normal stuff and in this case I figure Charlie stuff in general is probably better off in political cartoons), stumbled upon it

"I see that you will be murdered by terrorists... In your memory, the bells of Notre-Dame will toll, there will be a great parade with Hollande, Valls, Sarkozy, Cope, Merkel, Cameron and even Netanyahu... There will be tricolor flags and the Marseillaise will be sung... There will be calls for your pantheonisation The pantheon is basically a temple to the great men of the republic, includes people like Marie Curie, Alexandre Dumas, Voltaire, NASDAQ and the French Academy will say "Je suis Charlie" and the Pope will pray for you..."

This made me laugh and then tear up a little. God drat, what is with all these French cartoons that make actual, funny jokes? Where can we get some of that in the US?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Is this the one Latuff entered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

JaggerMcDagger posted:

European Even-Handedness

Yaakov Kirschen stands out in the street with a sign saying "No, kill the Palestinians!!" and smirking about even-handedness. A couple of cops come up to him and for a sec it looks like they're going to arrest him but then they give him high-fives and thousands of people come out of nowhere to throw money at him. "Igg me," he says, beaming. "Igg me at Dry Bones."

• Locked thread