Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K G
Nov 7, 2012

it is hard to read this lol

Soulhunter posted:

Wrong. The full-featured Grand Exchange is being polled right now, per this Dev Blog. If it passes the poll, we get a GE identical in function to the RS3 one.

VVV Only failing by 0.7% right now, and slowly trending towards the 75% pass threshold. The results were at ~72-73% yes when the poll launched, and the poll runs until the 18th.

I'd actually play OSRS if it passed. Using Zybez is such a pain in the rear end, ruins the experience for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is there reason why this game keeps pulling me back in? Whenever I play I do some dull skilling and get bored, but every drat year I return. This has been continuing since 2003. Madness.

Thinking of re-subbing, I've tried playing F2P to make sure I want to, but the fletching cap is making it feel pointless without XP gain.

Is fletching still cool? I LOVED the new crafting system for knives/logs, so much better than the old way. It's amazing how much accessible crafting and such is these days.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Logged in just to vote for the Grand Exchange. The trading post in its current state is a joke.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
playing osrs for a bit because

1: nostalgia
2: ge vote (only total 88 or so atm)

Edit: Seen a fuckton of bots. Don't care, I look pimp in full iron with a black 2h

SleepingPizza fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 14, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What's the best AFK skill for grinding out *sweet coinz* goons in current RS3?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

simosimo posted:

Bossing, haha.

Seriously, I guess it's cutting magic logs in elf city or fishing rocktails right now. Gathering high level raw materials is always good cash.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Spergminer posted:

Bossing, haha.

Seriously, I guess it's cutting magic logs in elf city or fishing rocktails right now. Gathering high level raw materials is always good cash.

Good to hear as always, I had a quick look at raw lobsters and the price is at a peak right now, so might do the usual grind at the fishing guild. Sharks are so so priced atm, and take longer so probs not worth it.

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Magres posted:

The only problem with Caches is the timing is kind of a pain in the rear end because it's once every three hours. That said, if you can do twice a day for like three months you can get 99 Div painlessly.

edit: nvm i am an idiot.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 14, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's as many times as you wish, ie all 8 times the caches open - just checked by trying to enter one w/o it being the right time

K G
Nov 7, 2012

simosimo posted:

Currently semi-afk money skilling method is Runecrafting. If you can craft Astral runes(40 RC) you will easily make 500-700K GP/hr and 25-30K RC XP/hr, if you're 82 RC or higher you can craft double Astral Runes for 1.5-2M GP/hr. It's semi-afk because if you set your UI up right it's a one-click run to the Altar which is the most lengthy part of this crafting method.

If you want click once and go AFK for five minutes Rocktail wins.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm 79 fishing so got a long way til Rocktails, but it's good to know they're a viable money maker. I'm F2P fishing lobs at Karjima and there's a cert guy there. I think it is actually quicker than Fishing guild amazingly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Note to self: Never solo any size beyond small. Medium might not be a good idea.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

widespread posted:

Note to self: Never solo any size beyond small. Medium might not be a good idea.

Medium solo is doable, it's pretty good practice. When I do one I end up either writing things down or talking to myself like a crazy person. Whatever it takes to remember what doors are where and which doors are gated/groupgated.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

I'm beginning to suspect that VonSchneider has a German name for a reason. :hitler:

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
The problem with Guthixian Caches is when you do one and then sometime later the Energy Rift opens again and you realise you have just spent 3 hours doing Divination.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Mr. Showtime posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that VonSchneider has a German name for a reason. :hitler:

I do Nazi the problem with this? :confused:

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Trying to find my account from 10 years ago, for now i'm on ahdinko1

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

palamedes posted:

Medium solo is doable, it's pretty good practice. When I do one I end up either writing things down or talking to myself like a crazy person. Whatever it takes to remember what doors are where and which doors are gated/groupgated.

I do medum solo for all my lower levels, I always fully exhaust all the resources when doing so.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

As a follow-up to the OSRS Grand Exchange poll-chat from the other day, the 75% voting threshold has been broken! Providing the results stay above 75% through the weekend, OldSchool Runescape is getting a full-featured Grand Exchange!

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

A pubbie makes a lot of Div Sim 2s, starts dropping them. And just kept going.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Soulhunter posted:

As a follow-up to the OSRS Grand Exchange poll-chat from the other day, the 75% voting threshold has been broken! Providing the results stay above 75% through the weekend, OldSchool Runescape is getting a full-featured Grand Exchange!

The die hards are going to hate it. I always see people complain about the GE since it was released but why is it such a problem? I couldn't imagine trying to sell even a fifth of the poo poo I put on the GE for an automatic sale, in person.

Press 1111 to buy 1000 lobbies

how muc??

###k

2 much thx

K G
Nov 7, 2012

simosimo posted:

The die hards are going to hate it. I always see people complain about the GE since it was released but why is it such a problem? I couldn't imagine trying to sell even a fifth of the poo poo I put on the GE for an automatic sale, in person.

how muc??

###k

2 much thx

Why wouldn't you just say "Selling X Lobsters. X each" or "Selling X Lobsters only Xk!"

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'd rather stick them up in the GE and sell automatically :)

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Themata posted:

I do Nazi the problem with this? :confused:

I could Goebbel up these delicious puns all day :allears:

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Today in news from PotatoScape, I hit 99 Dungeoneering.

Pay special attention to the fishmasked man wearing the best outfit in the game. Thanks goons!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Coraxius legit looks like he's taking a poo poo on the ground.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Coraxius legit looks like he's taking a poo poo on the ground.

And Von is caressing my magical loincloth.

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

While doing an Elite clue in Keldagrim, I found the dwarf of my dreams!

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Terces posted:

While doing an Elite clue in Keldagrim, I found the dwarf of my dreams!

Pretty sure he prefers the smell of flour based on our more intimate interaction:

My Elite probably also turned out better.

Long time no see, the time inbetween catching you was dragon on!

Whenever I see these, I give it my unDivined attention.

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
There aren't any fishing caps in F2P are there? I've found a good groove at Karamja docks with the cert guy. Hoping to poopsock to 90, hopefully by that time i'll have bond money for Rocktails and will be sorted 'fo life'.

K G
Nov 7, 2012

simosimo posted:

There aren't any fishing caps in F2P are there? I've found a good groove at Karamja docks with the cert guy. Hoping to poopsock to 90, hopefully by that time i'll have bond money for Rocktails and will be sorted 'fo life'.

Fishing cap? By that I assume level cap. No there is no level cap in F2P for fishing, only for "P2P" or "member" skills, they cap at level 5.

I really would not recommend fishing Lobsters to 90, but it's entirely up to you. To affoard a bond you will only need to fish ~20K Lobsters.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

K G posted:

Fishing cap? By that I assume level cap. No there is no level cap in F2P for fishing, only for "P2P" or "member" skills, they cap at level 5.

I really would not recommend fishing Lobsters to 90, but it's entirely up to you. To affoard a bond you will only need to fish ~20K Lobsters.

Not entirely fussed as I have been leaving it on semi-afk while I work so it's not been too bad. Unless there's a better F2P and entirely AFK'able skill i'd be all ears.

Voyaging
Sep 5, 2014

K G posted:

I'd actually play OSRS if it passed. Using Zybez is such a pain in the rear end, ruins the experience for me.

Same, I'm going to mostly quit RS3 for OSRS once it passes, since the game is otherwise much better.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Voyaging posted:

Same, I'm going to mostly quit RS3 for OSRS once it passes, since the game is otherwise much better.

Can you explain why? I've played all iterations of the game, but i'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Everywhere I see 'OSRS is great' and then 'OSRS sucks'.

I have major nostalgia for RS Classic [not OSRS] because it was dramatically different and simpler. But OSRS was pretty much what we have now with worse graphics and less features no? Again not being a jerk, just want to hear your thoughts.

Also the thought of making a new account for OSRS makes me skin crawl, skilling, quests...*puke*

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 16, 2015

joachim783
May 9, 2013
Ready your socks and prepare your banks because the next double xp weekend has been announced.:dance:

quote:

Double XP Weekend - GameBlast15 - February 20th

RuneScape's next Double XP Weekend is running from 12:00 UTC on 20th February to 12:00 UTC on 23rd February!

Tying in with GameBlast15 - the charity gaming marathon weekend run by the fantastic SpecialEffect - Double XP Weekend gives you an extra reason to log on and get involved. Whether you're raising money with your own RuneScape marathon or just getting in game to show your support, you can be sure of some awesome XP gains.

Like last year, we'll be running an epic 24-hour charity live stream and opening the Well of Goodwill for donations, and the community will be bursting with events, competitions and things to do.

GameBlast15 is a way to make a real difference, and have a whole load of fun while you're at it. Look out for news on how you can participate, watch and donate closer to the time.

Until then, start planning how you'll make the most of that double XP!

The RuneScape Team

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 16, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
loving hell I thought I would have a longer time to get all my mahogany/protean planks made from portable sawmills, geez

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Cool, double xp. Probably won't make it to this one either, but I'll get a level at least.

Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

simosimo posted:

Can you explain why?
The common opinion on other communities is because there are no microtransactions and none of these promotions:

joachim783 posted:

Ready your socks and prepare your banks because the next double xp weekend has been announced.:dance:

An overview of the major differences between OSRS and RS3:

Design Philosophy:
RS3 has big, flashy updates that look and sound great, as they should, given the budget and team members allotted to the main game. The few quests we've gotten in the past few years have been exceptionally polished and generous in their rewards and world-building lore. Unfortunately, they also have a lot of wasted talent going into the MTX shops. Overall, the balance and quality of quests, rewards, etc. are pretty well done on the main game, but lack of reasons to replay content outside of massing more bonus experience/$$$ tends to kill off minigames/monsters that are sub-optimal. Making Silverhawk feathers/boots, portable skilling stations, and protean items available through other means would bring value to long-dead skills/content, but Jagex has no intention of doing that right now by all appearances. There's good content available, when elements of it aren't being parted out for MTX promotions (Portables were originally meant to be a reward from the Inventor skill :eng101:).

OldSchool tends to stick to Ninja Team styled updates. In fact, a number of ninja updates are based on OSRS updates, for example the miniature boss pets were previously OSRS-exclusive content. The grind for combat skills has been made considerably more AFK through a minigame called the Nightmare Zone, as well as by boosting Pest Control experience rates to their former levels. As far as big flashy content goes, Oldschool is lacking. There have been no new quests released for OSRS, and little to no graphical reworks. With that said, there is some ambitious content coming down the line, including a new landmass/continent called Zeah which promises value for under-utilized skills (Firemaking was specifically mentioned) as well as ten achievement diaries set to be launched in a month or so. Many updates have been quality of life improvements, with a large focus on Slayer, bossing, and PvP in the last year.

Graphics:
OldSchool has shittier graphics, examples of programmer art like the Lava Dragon can be found here and there in new content. There's been a few graphic design artists cycled through the OSRS team, producing items such as the Dragon Cane, Odium Ward, and Trident of the Swamp.

In terms of quality graphic design on RS3, look at the Elder God quests, the new Elf City, or basically any grandmaster quest released in the past ~3 years.

Community:
It's poo poo for both games. Don't talk to pubbies. RS3 has the clear advantage due to the clan system.
(Oldschool has an active PvP/duelling community, if you're into that.)

Power to the Players:
RS3 runns PttP polls regularly as a means of checking feedback ("Did you enjoy this content? Wanted to play, Didn't want to play, etc") and occasionally for decisions on which new quest/skill reward to develop. One of a Kind and most of the Elf City content was voted on this way, among other things found in this archive.

Oldschool takes a different approach to polling, requiring a 75% supermajority to pass any polls, with questions limited to Yes/No, Pass/Don't Pass questions. Often these will be no-brainer questions like "Do you want more bank space?" and "Would you like X Item(s) graphically reworked?" but there's always one or two game-changers like the current Grand Exchange poll that have potential to affect the whole game.

Development Teams:
Oldschool has a smaller development team, but it consists of long-term Jagex employees. Notably, Ash and Ian Gower are prominent in content development and engine work, respectively. RS3 is following the lead of OSRS by dividing up work into smaller teams of developers now (ex: Ninja Team). Less people, less obstruction of work, less delays for reworks/redesigns/approval, etc. Of course, OSRS does have generally less-balanced updates as a result, but the mods tend to step in and make changes in particularly egregious cases.

Oldschool has developers who make dungeon sex jokes and name ducks after their twitch streamer waifus. RS3 has skeevy bronies, elf cosplayers, and Grand Poobah Markdonalds. Both sets of developers are pretty loving weird.

Overall:
Play the game you like better, both are solid choices if you like RuneScape at all. If you want the old combat system instead of legacy mode (which is really just reskinned momentum, total let-down :argh:), play OldSchool. If you want flashy graphics that scale better with your screen size, and less grind overall, play RS3.

I get the impression that most people who play oldschool play it for nostalgia or the potential for a different development path from the main game. Some content is being redeveloped for OSRS with attention paid to their effects on the original game (i.e. Corporeal Beast shields were released, but modified from their original properties. God Wars Dungeon was rebuilt, with new items added to balance out the spread of rewards among bosses (Staff of the Dead (Staff of Light) was added to Zammy GWD, Armadyl Crossbow to Sara GWD). A major clue scroll update was released last year with new riddles/puzzles sourced from the community, and a variety of new rewards of varying usefulness added (Robin hood body, prayer sandals, new god books with different stats from their original implementation), ring imbues originally associated with Mobilizing Armies were added to the Nightmare Zone (Dominion Tower) minigame. There's a ton of content that's been added since OSRS relaunched, I'm tempted to put together a proper summary of it all at some point, as there doesn't seem to be any official archive of updates.