Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Amoeba102 posted:

Any good pirate or viking themed games floating about?

I like Libertalia for a pirate themed game - it's got a very Pirates of the Caribbean feel to it IMO, with the game being about secret card selection to gain better booty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Is there really a huge Dominion expansion with like 400 cards coming in 2015?

Looks like it's just been announced

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1285-Dominion-Adventures

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bubble-T posted:

They have a long list of requirements for what they play on the show because it's primarily entertainment reality TV. Stuff with lots of hidden information or complicated cards or what have you is hard to film in their style and be immediately appreciated by people who haven't played the game before.

Technically Cuba Libre fits the bill :getin:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the site that sells Dominion base cards with custom art?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Wazzu posted:

I like Libertalia for a pirate themed game - it's got a very Pirates of the Caribbean feel to it IMO, with the game being about secret card selection to gain better booty.

I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

StashAugustine posted:

Technically Cuba Libre fits the bill :getin:

gently caress that, A Distant Plain is even better!

"Oh god am I playing Al-Qaeda? :911:"

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
When I played Historia last week at my gaming meet one player would often take 5 or 6 minutes to decide which card to play for the turn, after we had reminded him that the rest of us had all chosen our cards and were waiting for him.

He then told us he had to leave in 30 minutes and we had to "pick up the pace."

Slightly annoying, to say the least.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Durendal posted:

I have this problem with one my friends - he takes like 5-15 minute turns in games like Dominion and Castles of Burgundy :psyduck: And God help you if try to play any heavy eurogames as he has to math out every single move he can take. With no hyperbole, I can say a game of Five Tribes would take more than four hours.

I don't enjoy playing games with him anymore.

I actually have the opposite problem. At the Tuesday board game night I've been going to I've started to discover that there's a clear divide between the people focused on playing the game and people just tuning right the gently caress out. This evening's was especially frustrating because I brought my copy of Kemet which everyone has only just begun to learn and which I was excited to both play again and teach to some new players.

Over the course of the evening we only got through one game, and in that time three players left mid-game, prompting other people to fill in for them. Let me tell you, it is super loving frustrating to sit down to play a game, explaining the rules to people unfamiliar with it, then having to repeat that process three more times over the course of the same game. One game of Kemet, a game with an advertised playtime of something like 60 minutes, took two and a half hours to go from setting up the board to the final victory point tally.

I'm not talking "hey, my wife/boyfriend/daughter just got hurt/sick/arrested so I need to go now," something completely understandable. I'm talking "oh, I guess I'm going to go upstairs because one of my Warhammer buddies wants me to" or "oh, I guess I'm gonna go wander off and get some food with this other guy who showed up." It's like motherfucker, you told me you wanted to play this game, now not 20 minutes into it after you're 4/5ths of the way through your round, that's when you decide you want to go do something else instead? And then there's the one guy who, while he at least manages to remain at the table, wants to do things like chat with a friend on the phone while everyone's waiting for his turn and, despite playing several games now, still needs to be reminded of basic rules stuff frequently.

When the game store owner has to step away from the table to attend to customers, I totally get that. That's literally his business, paying customers come first and playing games comes second. I actually really respect that because I've been in no small number of game stores where the owner basically ignored customers in favor of goofing off with their gamer pals and that's dumb and lovely, so good for him. But with all the rest of that I wind up feeling irritated because so far with one exception everyone I've met there seems reasonably cool and friendly, everyone who plays Kemet is full of nothing but praise for it, but I feel like we could have had the same amount of fun in half the time if we hadn't had to keep introducing new players to the game mid-stream. It's me, I'm the guy who takes boardgames seriously.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Megasabin posted:

What's the site that sells Dominion base cards with custom art?

I take it you do not mean the Dominion: Base Cards?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Maybe I'm spoiled for choice but I straight up wouldn't play with those people. It gets old waiting for the smoker at our local group to have her 10 minute break and she's a nice person with addiction as an excuse.

Skipping out halfway through a game for no reason at all is incredibly rude.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Maybe I'm spoiled for choice but I straight up wouldn't play with those people. It gets old waiting for the smoker at our local group to have her 10 minute break and she's a nice person with addiction as an excuse.

Skipping out halfway through a game for no reason at all is incredibly rude.

No, I feel the same way. If this was like board gaming at my place or something I wouldn't be inclined to put up with it at all, but this isn't a cultivated gaming group, it's open gaming night at a game store which means I'm currently assessing how best to approach the subject of "if you're going to play a game, commit to it" despite not actually having any say in how things run there.

It's not quite as simple as "not gaming is better than bad gaming" because this is the first time in four game nights or so that this sort of thing has happened, and it's not really "cat piss" in the classic sense. I think I'm going to bring it up with the store owner next time and see what he thinks because I dunno, maybe board game night at this place is supposed to be this super-duper ultra casual drop-in/drop-out affair and I've just been lucky up 'til now. Also, I'm not really spoiled for choice, would that I were.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone with experience with playing dungeon pets on boîte a jeux, when/where do you assign imps for cage cleaning duty? I don't seem to get a prompt or an opportunity after evaluating needs when it should happen I think..

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh my god, you can play Dungeon Petz online??? This changes everything.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broken Loose posted:

Oh my god, you can play Dungeon Petz online??? This changes everything.

It's pretty great, I only found this out the other day. It's not realtime like BGA but asynchronous turns and you can be in a bunch of games at once, 4 player drags a little bit but I've got a 2 player running that's progressing at a fair pace. There's a pile of other games, interested in giving myrmes and castles of burgundy and trajan a go but petz is the one that made me super happy that it was online. I was even holding out for a PBP before i saw that was a thing

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys all need to invest in one minute sand timers. Just put them in the box when you first introduce a game, and explain that they only ever get one minute to make a decision (or one minute from the time you get annoyed) and the other players will assume it's actually in the rules. The players will never know its not a part of the game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Among friends I use a 30 second Trivial Pursuit battery operated timer because it's simultaneously amusing and maddening. More practical and responsive than a sand timer, funnier too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bubble-T posted:

Among friends I use a 30 second Trivial Pursuit battery operated timer because it's simultaneously amusing and maddening. More practical and responsive than a sand timer, funnier too.

I prefer yakkity sax to play when there's only 30 seconds left. (My favorite Escape: curse of the temple soundtrack does this. It's excellent)

But seriously kids, use a timer with your friends, they're slow as gently caress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just use the Countdown theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32kaa9TzeE

Works well because it naturally causes people to panic as the time goes down.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
^^^ Jeopardy theme is a good candidate for this, too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the correct turn timer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia_fKW_9eMI

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

House payments ain't gonna make themselves.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lord Frisk posted:

You guys all need to invest in one minute sand timers. Just put them in the box when you first introduce a game, and explain that they only ever get one minute to make a decision (or one minute from the time you get annoyed) and the other players will assume it's actually in the rules. The players will never know its not a part of the game.

Friend of mine was actually smart enough to start doing this with our games of 7 Wonders because for some reason we have a couple of really AP prone players who still aren't that good at the game. It doesn't really work because there's no real punishment you can inflict and pressuring them into a decision doesn't actually help them do it any faster. They hate playing with us when we do that because they hate being pressured into timed decisions (and yet Space Alert didn't bomb with these people! Wacky!) and haven't played the game as much as us to have memorised a lot of the symbols in Cities and Leaders.

you know how 7 Wonders is a game so fast you can burn through a full round of it in approximately 15 minutes even if you take a moment to think through your actions? Shortest game I ever had was 3 minutes with rapid fire play over BSW. Playing with these people makes the game take almost a full hour, it's lame.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rio Grande Games posted:

To the east, a land of eggs and licorice.

What a stinky land that must be.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

quote:

There are 30 new Kingdom cards, including the return of Duration cards that do things on future turns, plus Reserve cards that can be saved for the right moment.

New Duration cards, awesome.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Anyone got any good ideas for the make-your-own leader in 7 Wonders?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I made another box organizer, this time for Galaxy Trucker. I appreciate that CGE actually put in something for the purposes of box organization, but when I saw that it shared the same four-compartment divider as Space Alert, I knew something had to be done. Plus, the removable compartments for the tokens makes distribution so much easier, instead of reaching into a small plastic bag or grabbing it from a pile of bits.

What you see when you open the box. The boards are just a little smaller, so I put in a few 'walls' to hold them in place, and a notch (top) to reach in and pull them out.

The box, rotated around (so the notch is bottom now) to see the different wells. I kind of wanted to create a little removable shelf for the money tokens, but I was getting really frustrated with the tools I had and said gently caress it, and put them all in a bucket.I may make one to slot in in the future, depending how sick I get of reorganizing the space bucks during gameplay.

The trays for the various tokens used in gameplay are removable. Makes it a lot easier to pass around. Also, the trays for the energy pieces and alien crew members are a little raised, by about a centimeter or so.

The little wells for the starting tokens core pieces. I'm happy with how these turned out. In front of them you can see the round card - typically this would be on top of the deck of action cards, one of which you can see underneath (I haven't sleeved the rest of them yet, I just did that one for measurements).

The hourglass and dice wells. Not great.

I really need to invest in a t-square or, even better, a miter box. When all you have to work with is a razor blade and a ruler, things get a little annoying.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Aston posted:

A leader that functions as the courtesan does would be semi-interesting.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Aston posted:

Semiramis gets a reprint with a power in Cities, she gets one shield for every defeat token. Before that, I kind of liked the fan power that said if she won combat against both neighbors, she gets a third victory token. Mostly because the game comes with 8 tokens for each age and you can otherwise only use 7.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Friend of mine was actually smart enough to start doing this with our games of 7 Wonders because for some reason we have a couple of really AP prone players who still aren't that good at the game. It doesn't really work because there's no real punishment you can inflict and pressuring them into a decision doesn't actually help them do it any faster. They hate playing with us when we do that because they hate being pressured into timed decisions (and yet Space Alert didn't bomb with these people! Wacky!) and haven't played the game as much as us to have memorised a lot of the symbols in Cities and Leaders.

you know how 7 Wonders is a game so fast you can burn through a full round of it in approximately 15 minutes even if you take a moment to think through your actions? Shortest game I ever had was 3 minutes with rapid fire play over BSW. Playing with these people makes the game take almost a full hour, it's lame.

If these people ignore the social rule your group has set, then they are not people you should play games with. Not taking half hour turns isn't an unreasonable request, especially considering they're wasting your time too.

As far as "no real punishment," the same could be said for breaking game rules. It's on your group to enforce

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lord Frisk posted:

If these people ignore the social rule your group has set, then they are not people you should play games with. Not taking half hour turns isn't an unreasonable request, especially considering they're wasting your time too.

As far as "no real punishment," the same could be said for breaking game rules. It's on your group to enforce

In our gaming group, we send transgressors to the abandoned downstairs bedroom, where the spiders dwell :colbert:

That's not true. We just sit and wait for that person to take their turn, even if it takes so long that everybody else loses track of whose turn it was.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Aston posted:

There's five odd promo leaders on the website that you can print off and stuff. I like baby Esteban myself.

Or Stevie Wonder because Stevie pays in cash.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Poopy Palpy posted:

Semiramis gets a reprint with a power in Cities, she gets one shield for every defeat token. Before that, I kind of liked the fan power that said if she won combat against both neighbors, she gets a third victory token. Mostly because the game comes with 8 tokens for each age and you can otherwise only use 7.

Ah I have Cities and I hadn't realised it was the same person.

The extra victory token seems interesting, it might make investing in military more viable.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Maximum enjoyment demands compressing as many turns as possible into as little time as possible. Remember that your friends and family are only ever obstacles to that goal. Do not be ashamed to use passive-aggressive gimmicks like timers if direct verbal confrontation fails to generate immediate, correct actions.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Probad posted:

Maximum enjoyment demands compressing as many turns as possible into as little time as possible. Remember that your friends and family are only ever obstacles to that goal. Do not be ashamed to use passive-aggressive gimmicks like timers if direct verbal confrontation fails to generate immediate, correct actions.

This guy gets it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Probad posted:

I can't tell if you've never had an AP prone person in your group, or if you're the slow one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Maximum enjoyment demands drawing out as many turns as possible into as much time as possible. Remember that your friends and family are only ever obstacles to that goal. Do not be ashamed to use 5-6 minutes to take your turn even if your family and friends give you exasperated looks because you can't decide what your action should be when presented with something more complex than a binary choice.

People that hound people that dare to take more than a minute to do their action are assholes. People that regularly take more than a couple of minutes on actions that aren't "if I make the incorrect choice here I lose" are also assholes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

On that note, I must admit that I'm one of those persons that takes like 10 seconds per turn and AP really, really annoys me and I'm not ashamed to tell people to hurry up if the flow of a game suddenly stops whenever their turn comes around.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Everyone that plays faster than me isn't taking the game seriously and everyone that plays slower is an AP idiot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Everyone that plays faster than me isn't taking the game seriously and everyone that plays slower is an AP idiot.
No one plays faster than me so therefore I'll have to lump all of you in the latter category :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't like playing boardgames with other people so I'm the one who keeps asking for solo variants in everything.