Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a Blendtec awhile back. It's pretty dusty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I got this because I hate regular flossing and I was about out of floss so yeah... neat!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone bought a standalone food processor recently?
People online have been saying that the prime was the late eighties when they were heavy and sturdy enough to kill a bear.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Because Ultimate Tetris by Ubisoft is poo poo and this is a great version of Tetris (and Puyo Puyo) unavailable for us not living in glorious Nippon.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

LTBS posted:

I got this because I hate regular flossing and I was about out of floss so yeah... neat!

Make sure you fill it with WARM water if your teeth are sensitive.

Oh yeah, and be prepared for water EVERYWHERE :(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bottom Liner posted:

This is the most meta thread. It's also the best thread.

I bought You Need a Budget to help plan for some savings goals and visualize my money better. I'm pretty good with money and budgeting, but it's nice to have good software to track and plan some big things now. It gets an A+ from me so far, and it's so much better than Mint.

Does this - or any software like this - work well for freelancers with unpredictable/wildly fluctuating pay? I can easily earn 10 times in one month what I did in the previous (and not in a good way) and it's hard to plot a budget beyond hoarde all the money and brace for the big things. Annually, the pay often evens out to the same but definitely not month by month. I'd like to start using budget software but I'm loathed to learn it and then find out it doesn't really help people like me.

echoplex has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Jan 14, 2015

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
I got this

It was 30 dollars off the original price too, which was great.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Inzombiac posted:

Has anyone bought a standalone food processor recently?
People online have been saying that the prime was the late eighties when they were heavy and sturdy enough to kill a bear.

Yes, if you make your own pasta or pestos from scratch it's a massive labour saver. And it does things a hand blender certainly can't.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spamtheman posted:

Yes, if you make your own pasta or pestos from scratch it's a massive labour saver. And it does things a hand blender certainly can't.

I would rather buy a good blender (not hand) and a good mandoline than a heavy food processor using too much shelf space with all the accesories, but it's just personal preference.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

echoplex posted:

Does this - or any software like this - work well for freelancers with unpredictable/wildly fluctuating pay? I can easily earn 10 times in one month what I did in the previous (and not in a good way) and it's hard to plot a budget beyond hoarde all the money and brace for the big things. Annually, the pay often evens out to the same but definitely not month by month. I'd like to start using budget software but I'm loathed to learn it and then find out it doesn't really help people like me.

Yes, easiest way is once you switch your habits of spending the money you think you might get this month to spending the money you set aside for this month beforehand - meaning you decouple your monthly spending from your direct income, by spending the money from last months income or a buffer amount of money each month. Takes a bit getting used to, especially if you were living paycheck to paycheck.

You can of course still use it if you want to continue budgeting the current income for this period inside this period, you just need to accept that you have to update/revise your budget far more often.

The way you use YNAB is usually budgeting the stuff you need to pay every month (week, bi-weekly etc). Then you add the stuff you want to buy this month. Then you try to match it up with the income you get this month. Which means of course, if you income fluctuates that you have to adjust this portion from time to time. Everything you don't spend will be available for your next budget - and ideally you accumulate such a big buffer that you don't really have to care how big your income this month is, since you budget/spend your buffer and use the income to replenish this buffer/put the rest into a savings account/stocks/whatever.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Decius posted:

Yes, easiest way is once you switch your habits of spending the money you think you might get this month to spending the money you set aside for this month beforehand - meaning you decouple your monthly spending from your direct income, by spending the money from last months income or a buffer amount of money each month. Takes a bit getting used to, especially if you were living paycheck to paycheck.

You can of course still use it if you want to continue budgeting the current income for this period inside this period, you just need to accept that you have to update/revise your budget far more often.

The way you use YNAB is usually budgeting the stuff you need to pay every month (week, bi-weekly etc). Then you add the stuff you want to buy this month. Then you try to match it up with the income you get this month. Which means of course, if you income fluctuates that you have to adjust this portion from time to time. Everything you don't spend will be available for your next budget - and ideally you accumulate such a big buffer that you don't really have to care how big your income this month is, since you budget/spend your buffer and use the income to replenish this buffer/put the rest into a savings account/stocks/whatever.

Those big income months would be a fantastic time to fund the various categories of discretionary spending (restaurants, vacations, home improvements, etc) so that you level out your income throughout the year. YNAB is fantastic at doing this and it'll feel like you have a consistent income because of it. There are so many times that I feel poor as I end a month but then look at the balances of my discretionary categories and see so many dollars allocated to things that feel like they're already paid for. I have nearly a thousand in my car maintenance and repair budget (I have an older car, so pad that quite a bit) and if I need a new clutch or something it is a 0 stress event, even the car rental can come out of that so I don't have to worry about that if it's going to take some time. Now apply this to every aspect of your life and you will be at peace.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LTBS posted:

I say this every time when someone posts one of these, but they're not really a substitute for manual flossing. They just can't clean between the tight areas of the inner sides of the teeth like actual flossing can. That being said, they are a fantastic tool and should be used as a supplement, especially if you've ever had any gum irritation. I own one and love it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Thanks guys, I will give it a try.

And on that note:

Replacement clutch for my BMW

Replacement hoover (Henrys are awesome but oof)

Replacement hard drive for my MBP - it's had bad sectors and needed a repair for 4 years (!) I just never bothered as it's only ever the computer I use on set or for bedtime browsing. I thought an SSD would be a nice upgrade and then...

Replacement for the HDD in my iMac that failed after 5 years. Changing the MBP drive is easy but an iMac required taking it to Apple, mercifully the labour was only £30.

Happy Christmas, me.

I offset it with:

More DMC stuff for the collection

Quiet on-set shoes

echoplex has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jan 14, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

echoplex posted:

It works great for irregular income. That's how my income works as well and another reason why I love YNAB.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

It works great for irregular income. That's how my income works as well and another reason why I love YNAB.

Nthing this. YNAB works because you budget the money in your account only, so you're changing it based on what you're putting in.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

echoplex posted:

Replacement hoover (Henrys are awesome but oof)

Awesome if only bc of this

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RangerScum posted:

I got one back in 2011 and was very interested to hear why it was a lovely bag because it has worked out amazing so far...but I'm glad to see that's not the case. No marks on mine at all when I received it fwiw.

It does look very nice, but the price is higher than I'd personally pay for a bag.

That's partly because those type of bags don't look good on me and partly because I know that something would be not quite perfect and annoy me constantly (eg the pocket for my phone is 5mm too shallow, or one of the straps is 10mm too short)

Anyone ever had a bag custom made to fit all their stuff?

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

A+++ buy. It wears you down a little at how insane and horrible people could be, but it's a good book.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Amon Düül II - Wolf City came in the mail today! :woop:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, that's one of my favourite books ever, but god drat is it horrific. :(

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

rockcity posted:

I say this every time when someone posts one of these, but they're not really a substitute for manual flossing. They just can't clean between the tight areas of the inner sides of the teeth like actual flossing can. That being said, they are a fantastic tool and should be used as a supplement, especially if you've ever had any gum irritation. I own one and love it.

I noticed that when I used it this morning. I'll still manually floss, but this thing is neat.

Thankfully a friend has one and told me to make sure I didn't keep my mouth open when using it, so I avoided most of the water everywhere.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

neongrey posted:

Yeah, that's one of my favourite books ever, but god drat is it horrific. :(

Considering my dad was actually born in the Belgian Congo, I suppose I should read it.

But I know how much of an absolute loving BASTARD Leopold was already and it'll just make me hate the cocksucker even more.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I use my Waterpik for irrigating/cleaning out my ears every couple weeks, which saves me from having to make regular trips to the ENT like I used to when I was younger. Although mine just broke recently, so I ordered a new Aquarius one on Amazon the other day. It should be here tomorrow. Looks to be a more compact version of what I had. It's apparently the #1 Best Saller for oral irrigators or something and has tons of good reviews, so that's cool.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Considering my dad was actually born in the Belgian Congo, I suppose I should read it.

But I know how much of an absolute loving BASTARD Leopold was already and it'll just make me hate the cocksucker even more.

I am not big on hate, but if anyone who ever lived deserves more hate, it is that motherfucker.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

neongrey posted:

I am not big on hate, but if anyone who ever lived deserves more hate, it is that motherfucker.

The sad thing is, the major reason why it is remarkable is the size of it all. 10 million people killed. Because the attitude itself was absolutely in line with all other powers at the time. Few outside of Germany or Africa talk or even know about the genocide the German Kaiserreich did at the same time in Deutsch-Südwestafrika (today's Namibia), because they "only" killed about 80,000 Herero and Nama, which pales in comparison, despite the evil and horror of it.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I would rather buy a good blender (not hand) and a good mandoline than a heavy food processor using too much shelf space with all the accesories, but it's just personal preference.

When you say food processor do you picture this:

Or this?

The first I'd call a food processor and the second I'd call a stand mixer, a blender is almost always handheld. I've got one similar to the first one and it takes up at most 20 x 20cm. I rarely use it for fine cutting, I'd rather use a decent knife.

Also ended up buying another case of sparkling wine, going through it at a rapid rate.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I use my Waterpik for irrigating/cleaning out my ears every couple weeks, which saves me from having to make regular trips to the ENT like I used to when I was younger. Although mine just broke recently, so I ordered a new Aquarius one on Amazon the other day. It should be here tomorrow. Looks to be a more compact version of what I had. It's apparently the #1 Best Saller for oral irrigators or something and has tons of good reviews, so that's cool.

Has this ever caused you any problems?, how far in does the water go? My ears have been feeling kind of stuffy recently and I've been thinking I should make an appointment to get them syringed, but it would be so much easier to be able to do it regularly at home. A few years ago I had them syringed un-professionally and it caused me all kinds of problems so I'm kind of apprehensive to do anything like this.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spamtheman posted:

When you say food processor do you picture this:

The first I'd call a food processor and the second I'd call a stand mixer, a blender is almost always handheld. I've got one similar to the first one and it takes up at most 20 x 20cm. I rarely use it for fine cutting, I'd rather use a decent knife.

I call the first a food processor too and this a not handhled blender

There is sometimes but not always a blender accessory coming with the food processor.

My point is that I almost never use the food processor for slicing or chopping neither (better with mandoline or knife), and if I want to do pesto or crush ice or make smoothies I use the blender.

Basically my food processor is gathering dust.

And it's taking much more than 20x20cm because of all the accesories I almost never use.

Long story short, I prefer a good blender and a good slicing mandoline than all this stuff.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tea Bone posted:

Has this ever caused you any problems?, how far in does the water go? My ears have been feeling kind of stuffy recently and I've been thinking I should make an appointment to get them syringed, but it would be so much easier to be able to do it regularly at home. A few years ago I had them syringed un-professionally and it caused me all kinds of problems so I'm kind of apprehensive to do anything like this.
Nope, no problems so far! My ENT actually recommended that I do it. I've been doing it for....I want to say 8 or 9 years at this point? And it's always helped. It may not be quite as thorough as having an ENT do it, but large chunks of wax come out every time, so it makes a noticeable enough difference.

You just have to make sure the pressure is on a low setting because you don't want it to hurt you, and if it's on low, it really doesn't.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Decius posted:

The sad thing is, the major reason why it is remarkable is the size of it all. 10 million people killed. Because the attitude itself was absolutely in line with all other powers at the time. Few outside of Germany or Africa talk or even know about the genocide the German Kaiserreich did at the same time in Deutsch-Südwestafrika (today's Namibia), because they "only" killed about 80,000 Herero and Nama, which pales in comparison, despite the evil and horror of it.

Geez. Yeah, I had no idea tbh. Do you know any good English-language books (preferably with Kindle versions)? I'd like to know more about it. Because apparently sometimes I just have too much faith in humanity and need to crush it in myself.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

A few drops of hydrogen peroxide in each ear will help break up the wax. That was the recommended solution to my ear issues from my ent and it seems to work well.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Rebate on my PAYE income got me a little bonus for working through the winter.

Because I'm tired of slamming the back on my hand into things while carrying poo poo, and having whatever I'm lugging up stairs take the skin from my palm through two pairs of work gloves. (Actually taking the day off because I slammed a tendon into a door frame yesterday and my grip sucks today.)

And

Because steel caps are freezing the poo poo out of my toes right now.

I fully expect both to last about a month.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

LTBS posted:

I hate flossing, do these things actually work?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jadeddrifter posted:

I hate flossing, do these things actually work?

It's been mentioned before, but they are NOT a substitute for flossing.

Floss your drat teeth, you gross goony goons, and rinse with a flouride mouthwash.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use it as a substitute for flossing and also brushing because I really like the brush head.

:negative:

My dental hygienist seems OK with it, though. At least she hasn't complained any more than she normally does and I haven't had a cavity in a decade.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's been mentioned before, but they are NOT a substitute for flossing cleaning your ears regularly.

Floss your drat teeth Qtip your drat ears lightly on a daily basis, you gross goony goons, and rinse with a flouride mouthwash.

Ftfy. Goddamn

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I picked up a PS Vita.

Hadn't owned a portable since my PSP several years ago.

I like it. The remote play thing is kinda neat, tho somewhat limited by the fact that there are no R2/L2 triggers on the Vita.

The Vita specific games I have gotten for it have all be really fun, and I got Lumines!!

Mmmmm Lumines!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cacafuego posted:

Ftfy. Goddamn
Who qtips their ears every day? Do you still have gunk in your ears after you shower?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cage posted:

Who qtips their ears every day? Do you still have gunk in your ears after you shower?

Me. I like the way it feels, and also I sleep with earplugs because my downstairs neighbor snores like a failing jet engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Cage posted:

Pretty much and they still need irrigating once a month.

If you're curious: http://i.imgur.com/53CbkeU.jpg