Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Welmu posted:

Confirmation of Total War: Warhammer has been leaked from an upcoming TW Artbook.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/total-war-warhammer-leaked-ahead-of-announcement/1100-6424632/

This is the best and worst news simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am quite pleased to see them trying to do such a modern settings, altough I am not sure how they want to handle all those really powerfull dudes. Like...yes, orcs and imperial guards make for amazing line battles, but what about the massive tanks, or even the Spez Marines? They never attack in massive lines, compared to the orcs. I guess it would be cool to finally see solo hero units with abilities?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ray and Shirley posted:

This is the best and worst news simultaneously.

Just like Warhammer magic rules: the best result is glorious, the worst result utterly terrible.

Michaellaneous posted:

I am quite pleased to see them trying to do such a modern settings, altough I am not sure how they want to handle all those really powerfull dudes. Like...yes, orcs and imperial guards make for amazing line battles, but what about the massive tanks, or even the Spez Marines? They never attack in massive lines, compared to the orcs. I guess it would be cool to finally see solo hero units with abilities?

Warhammer Fantasy, not 40k. That's the fantasy kitchen-sink one, with pike & shot Germans fighting demon viking hordes.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Michaellaneous posted:

It's Warhammer, not Warhammer 40K

toasterwarrior posted:

Just like Warhammer magic rules: the best result is glorious, the worst result utterly terrible.

CA.txt, really.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

It's the fantasy Warhammer.
Fewer Space Marines and more magic and rat people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Skavens. Skaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeeens.

I'm looking forward to it already myself.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh well duuuuh, I guess that makes that easier. :downs:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would however, love a warhammer 40k total war, just to see how they would balance it.

They won't because you can't, but it'd be fun to see them try

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The closest we'll get to Thirty Years Total War

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

dogstile posted:

I would however, love a warhammer 40k total war, just to see how they would balance it.

They won't because you can't, but it'd be fun to see them try

Yeah honestly I really want to see Total War: 40k now.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

The closest we'll get to Thirty Years Total War

This is my first thought as well. I mean, I enjoy the Warhammer universe to be sure, but I've always hoped for a Thirty Years War title.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If a bunch of Russians can make an amazing Warhams game in Medieval II then there's no excuse for CA

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Welmu posted:

Confirmation of Total War: Warhammer has been leaked from an upcoming TW Artbook.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/total-war-warhammer-leaked-ahead-of-announcement/1100-6424632/

:woop::woop::woop:

Oh hell yeah!

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Seems like we will get warhammer sooner or later(probably the latter). Cannot wait for it!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I know next to nothing about Warhammer fantasy but it seems really cool.

But hoooly gently caress there truly is a total war blitz going on right now.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Hoooooly poo poo, it's actually confirmed? I think my dick just dripped a little.

Here's hoping that we get a crazy Tilean city-state faction. I need my birdmen zooming over the battlefield with their DaVinci-esque flying machines.

Edit: Calling it right now. Dark Elves are going to suck playing as.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
TWCenter Reacts to TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER

quote:

Im looking forward to this game. But im looking foward to the Forum meltdown as well. History fanboys foaming at the mouth and denouncing CA as traitors. WARHAMMER purists posting pictures from GW books saying "This is how a dwarf beard should look! Get it right CA." The lost voices of people just after a decent gaming experiance.

My God it will be beautiful.
I like the cut of your jib.

quote:

As hard as this is to believe, I am even less interested in Warhammer: Total War, Arena or Kingdom than I am in Alien: Isolation. I've never played an Alien game and I have never seen an Alien movie.
Many things already wrong in this post.

quote:

So they were going Warhammer fantasy after all. The rumours were true. Well at least they don`t have to worry about historical authenticity any more. That`s no doubt a big stress off their backs. It`s probably for the best. If you can`t/won`t do reality, go fantasy.

Yea, better for them since they can`t do proper warfare games since Empire any way (with a small exception for Shogun2).
Clearly someone has never heard of WH grognards, or people who take the fluff too seriously.

Does anyone over there actually know that WH is a board game, with rules and numbers and all that?

quote:

while they wouldn't have to care about historical realism, those Warhammer games have quite strict rules themselves... Warhammer fans would not accept any deviations... i think it would be even harder on them than doing another historical game..
Well at least they can concede complaining about TW games for a year or something and let the GW crazies do some of the work...

quote:

I'm interested in fantasy, and I'm interested in Total War. But I woldn't buy a fantasy Total War.
Let these fantasy games be made by modders. By people who care about both the game and the fantasy source (may it be Warhammer, Asoiaf, Lotr). CA has incredibly managed to "fail" on a "real" setting in Rome II; if they start to make fantasy games, who knows what rubbish would come out...At least modders really care about the setting, and do their best on it.

quote:

Total War and fantasy should not mix, I have zero interest in a fantasy TW in general and of the whole Warhammer setting in particular. This would be a major dissapointment for me, I'd hate having to wait until the next TW for a "proper" TW game.

quote:

If thats true iam officially the most angry FORMER CA supporter ever. Of course i will not buy such a game because it has nothing to do with history oriented total war series up until now and i will of course rage over it to my circle which were also total war supporters.
If thats true ca ruined my only gaming joy and my favorite franchise ever, and they have lost me forever me and my circle of history funs-gamers of course.

quote:

RIP Total War.

Though to be fair, its not like the lack of historicity matters anyway given how incompetent the franchise is now compared to what it used to be. Enjoy the lack of unit collision and retarded magic spells in a different world.
ruined.

quote:

Worst news of my life.
I've got some more bad news for you pal, you have an anime avatar.

quote:

It could well be a small free-to-play mobi game. It could be an independently developed game. As long as CA keeps chunking out history-based Total war games every year, I"m satisfied. I fail to see any logic in the argument that development of other games would siphon off resources from developing Total war franchise. If the franchise is still beneficial, there will always be enough funding and thus enough people working on it.
d-d-d-don't worry guys, it could just a mobile game and won't really taint the well!

from forums user Anibal at portas:

quote:

this is vomitive a warhammer in a totalwar.
if this is true,the levels of degradation of CA have been máxima,due to the large number of adolescents without brain and casual players swarming as a plague in these last years.
the veteran players that are thousands of totalwar will not buy this great filth.
hopefully good players of total war that this is not true and alone is the invention of some idiot converted into rumor by many casual players that exist in this forum.

quote:

if CA take out a game based tolkien middle earth,i would be very excited,but a filth of warhammer is unfortunate.

quote:

i speak of the authentic veteran players who love history and grand strategy, we have fought for years for a full war games that were the most historical potential with deep and immersion.
i certainly do not speak of mediocre players who have for years praising the poor job of CA.

quote:

Since CA likes making fantasy games might as well use a fantasy setting
nice hot burn from 2013 bro

forums user Leving has a special kind of message for WH fans ...

quote:

Warhammer is a kiddy game which has dolls and toy soldiers. That is how it should stay.

quote:

lol, so still a game for children then? Does it have dragons and orcs also? ha ha!

quote:

Ah, well in that case I'm sorry that CA is taking the reigns on a personal favorite of yours.

They sure botched my ancient history universe. Female Roman Gladiators?

quote:

If people want to play with paints, dolls and plastic army men then that is absolutely their prerogative. I just find it funny that such things have made it into Total War.

lastly ...

quote:

Wtf is Warhammer

Looks like I'll be staying retired from TW games...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
TWC is still terrible is like that phrase about god being in heaven with us. All is right (or wrong?) with the world.

I like to imagine they'd still do this, even if Creative Assembly did something incredibly positive like give money to charity or pay a English heritage site or something.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sober posted:

I like the cut of your jib.
Were Age of Empires fans as crazy as TWC, because I could only imagine their reaction to something like Age of Mythology

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
What makes me laugh is that the TWC murders CA over historical accuracy and then go and say how great the pre Empire TWs are.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sober posted:

quote:

If thats true iam officially the most angry FORMER CA supporter ever. Of course i will not buy such a game because it has nothing to do with history oriented total war series up until now and i will of course rage over it to my circle which were also total war supporters.
If thats true ca ruined my only gaming joy and my favorite franchise ever, and they have lost me forever me and my circle of history funs-gamers of course.

quote:

i speak of the authentic veteran players who love history and grand strategy, we have fought for years for a full war games that were the most historical potential with deep and immersion.
i certainly do not speak of mediocre players who have for years praising the poor job of CA.

Ahaha, why the gently caress are they even playing TW in the first place? I mean, I haven't played the first parts of either Shogun or Medieval so those might have been very different, but everything else was at the very most on a History Channel-level of historical accuracy. Which is by no means a bad thing, mind. Rome's weird units were hilarious and awesome, and the move to really streamline and "gamify" everything for Shogun 2 was one of the best decisions they've ever made. But it's absolutely not the series I'd go to if I wanted to :spergin: out on super nuanced historical realism.

Fake Edit: All these guys being smug as hell about "playing with dolls" while ranting on the internet about vidjagames is just :allears:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 14, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I can't be the only one that's a little disappointed they're not calling it Total Warhammer, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I can't be the only one that's a little disappointed they're not calling it Total Warhammer, though.

I'm a little disappointed in that, because that's a loving great name.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

Were Age of Empires fans as crazy as TWC, because I could only imagine their reaction to something like Age of Mythology

Having been neck deep in the Age of Empires/Age of Kings community at the time of Age of Mythology's development, while there was some "3d sucks!! 2d sprites look better gently caress this" attitude - largely it was a positive reaction from what I recall.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
History spergs can be satisfied by mythology too anyway, it's fantasy they wouldn't like. See also: the expansion to Age of Mythology.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I'm not a warhammer fan at all but Atilla looks good enough to tide me over. Hopefully this is just a side project and they're still working on a real total war game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First woman warriors now this.

Occupy CA!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's adorable how TWC thinks it actually understands history.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I really don't understand why hardcore history people are playing these games at all. They have never been meant to be realistic or super historical. If this were EU or something I could understand the whining about historicity but these games have never really been on that level so I don't understand where that crowd came from.

I mean I'm not interested in Warhammer at all either but I don't see how CA making a Warhammer game is some kind of betrayal or whatever

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

I really don't understand why hardcore history people are playing these games at all. They have never been meant to be realistic or super historical. If this were EU or something I could understand the whining about historicity but these games have never really been on that level so I don't understand where that crowd came from.

I mean I'm not interested in Warhammer at all either but I don't see how CA making a Warhammer game is some kind of betrayal or whatever

Well, a lot of people who like history enjoy the historical setting of TW games, and I can understand why they are not too into stuff like biker barbarians and flaming pigs. But then you also have people who complain because line infantry has the wrong number of buttons on their sleeves...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I actually study history IRL, but I also find the TWC weirdos baffling. I can just about guarantee that none of the TWC grognards actually have anything to do with professional history and I imagine that their constant whining has to do with them not really having an understanding of what history is. For some reason, they seem to have gotten the idea that video games like this are designed to be an actual recreation of the past rather than it just being a setting for telling little pixel men with swords to kill other little pixel men with swords.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Ugnhhh so happy about that announcement. Ever since I found the call of warhammer mod for MTW2 I've wished the same thing would be done by CA. They've done a great job with that mod but it's taken years just to get relatively stable and balance is all over the show but it's still great fun. If it's just a tidier expanded version of that mod I'll be so stoked.

However I wonder how they'll deal with the End Times plot that's being unfolded by Games Workshop? The mod is based on an earlier event that didn't really shake things up much. At the moment GW is just wrecking poo poo and all the 'good' races are mostly demolished.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I think it'll be good to see CA work with a loose fantasy license. I'm also completely gay for Imperial pikes against filthy goblins in the Total War engine. Extremely my poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You're not. But then, CA can call it what they like, I know what I'll be calling it. :colbert:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gee I wonder if Games Workshop, the company that's a huge pain in the rear end when licensing their properties, had anything to do with them not using the Total War name which is a Sega / CA brand, as opposed to their own brand which they care a whole lot about?

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 15, 2015

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Rakthar posted:

Gee I wonder if Steve Jackson games, the company that's a huge pain in the rear end when licensing their properties, had anything to do with them not using the Total War name which is a Sega / CA brand, as opposed to their own brand which they care a whole lot about?

What the hell have you been smoking?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

shalcar posted:

What the hell have you been smoking?

I was explaining that there is no way in hell they were going to call it Total Warhammer, GW are huge dicks about licensing and usage of their properties. Especially Warhammer / WH40k.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 15, 2015

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Rakthar posted:

I was explaining that there is no way in hell they were going to call it Total Warhammer, SJG are huge dicks about licensing and usage of their properties. Especially Warhammer / WH40k.

I don't think you understand how licences work.

E: It was always going to be total war: warhammer for marketing reasons, but it's not the SJG property or license even if they did call it Total Warhammer.

E2: I've looked and SJG don't even have a product called Total Warhammer so I have no idea what the hell you are even on about :psyduck:

shalcar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 15, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rakthar posted:

Gee I wonder if Steve Jackson games, the company that's a huge pain in the rear end when licensing their properties, had anything to do with them not using the Total War name which is a Sega / CA brand, as opposed to their own brand which they care a whole lot about?
Don't you mean Games Workshop? And as far as I know GW is pretty anal about how games using their license come out so I'm sure there's some oversight from them involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

shalcar posted:

I don't think you understand how licences work.

E: It was always going to be total war: warhammer for marketing reasons, but it's not the SJG property or license even if they did call it Total Warhammer.

Total War is a CA brand, appending -hammer is not likely to get approved by GW. When licensing someone's property you need to get their permission to use it and they define how you get to use it. There are requirements that cover all kinds of things - the font you need to use, the colors you need to use, how your naming scheme has to be. There are a lot of Warhammer / WH40k licensed games on the market so this isn't a new thing.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say. That CA has total freedom in what they choose to name a Warhammer game and that they don't need the approval of their licensor for the title? Or that GW does not have a reputation for being a pain in the rear end licensor, more than most - similar to let's say Lucasfilm / Lucasarts was with Star Wars?

[edit]Yeah I was saying Steve Jackson Games instead of Games Workshop. Thats what I get for playing illuminati over the holidays. Sorry for any confusion.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 15, 2015