Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I find it extremely silly that Squad are trying to make smaller changes just because current planes (read: planes built using the sucky aerodynamics system) wouldn't be compatible.

That's silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m going to miss the days of lifting space stations by strapping a booster to each corner.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I have to say if there's going to be any point where you go "welp, stuff built before this patch just ain't gonna work right. Sorry." it would be fixing/changing the aero model.

That said, I wouldn't set a goal to break older planes, but if it came about that the older stuff didn't work I wouldn't lose sleep over it so long as the new model is more intuitive/fun.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I've never built a single successful, working spaceplane and they seem impossible to control, so hey, I wouldn't be too devastated at such an update.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inacio posted:

I find it extremely silly that Squad are trying to make smaller changes just because current planes (read: planes built using the sucky aerodynamics system) wouldn't be compatible.

That's silly.

I doubt all designs will maintain present flight characteristics. Maybe the changes simply won't disturb CoM and CoL too much, is all? :shrug:

What sort of changes were/are you hoping?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Joda posted:

I haven't bothered with rendezvous (I know I'll have to look into it to do a return trip to Eve though,) but going to Duna and back is pretty doable. One thing that really helped me was finding out about asparagus staging, so if you haven't looked into this, you should prob watch Scott Manley's video explaining it. Nuclear engines also help a whole lot, since (iirc) a single big tank combined with one engine is enough to do all the transfer burns you need to get there and back. Other than that all you need is enough boosters on your lander to get into Duna orbit if you want to return, and you can reuse the nuclear engine you used to get there in the first place (remember to turn it off for the boost off Duna's surface.)

Like others have said, though, there are plenty of ways to do it, and I'd wager mine is one of the least elegant ones.

It sounds like you're talking about taking a nuclear engine down on your lander, which you really never want to do if you're concerned about doing things efficiently. They're super-heavy and have low thrust, and they have terrible fuel efficiency in atmosphere to boot which actually matters on Duna. This is where using docking ports and leaving your transfer stage in orbit is extremely useful.

Not to say it can't be done or that it's playing the game wrong to put a nuke on a single-stage there-and-back-again craft if that's what you want to do. Just that it generally makes things harder and more fuel-intensive than necessary.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to miss the days of lifting space stations by strapping a booster to each corner.

One of the reasons I only ever play with FAR is because I ended up making a universal launcher design. It was just a huge spiral of asparagus staging. Not at all aerodynamic, held together with struts, could be repeated forever until you had enough dV to put literally anything into orbit. At that point there's not much of a design challenge, and the design looks ridiculous as it's considerably wider than it is tall, but KSP doesn't care.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Synnr posted:

Yeah thats what I meant by the gantry. Was a no-go.

It isn't that gantry isn't letting go, the first stages just don't seem to be projecting any force. When I release the clamps, it just sits there at full blast until i trigger the next stage. I was wondering if I was mis-guessing my mass but nope!

Set your root part to your command pod. It doesn't have to specifically be the command pod but last time I ran into this bug, I'm pretty sure I had either a radial part, an engine, or both as the root, and the command pod is neither of these things and also not other things that might gently caress it up as well.

You also haven't lived until your rocket glitches out and puts your center of mass 500m behind your engine then flips out and disintegrates while your view looks at nothing at all, courtesy of RealChutes messing with some of my saved rocket designs having old parachutes on them.

e:

Thesoro posted:

A lot of KSP is in doing things in the most efficient ways. There's a zillion ways to go about it, but a few things:
-Send the smallest ship that will do the job. Before sending a three-kerbal expedition to Duna or Minmus or wherever, try a single kerbal in a small lander can. If you're comfortable with docking*, try leaving the interplanetary stage in orbit while you go to the surface, then meet back up with it later (think of how the Apollo landings worked). That way, you don't have to haul all that hardware and extra fuel down to the surface and back. Having smaller ships will also let parachutes do more of the slowing down so you can save more of your fuel for the return to orbit.
-Make sure you're starting your transfer at the right time. The Mun is easy because you just wait until it comes over the horizon. Interplanetary is trickier. When Duna is about 45 degrees ahead of Kerbin (in relation to the sun), it'll be the easiest--you still need about 1200m/s of delta v to do it from low Kerbin orbit, though, and you need to burn at a good angle on the dark side of Kerbin.

*note: try docking two things from separate launches in Kerbin orbit before you try it on Duna. Rendezvous and docking are tricky.

Setting things as your target makes rendezvous and transfers a lot easier too since it gives you important information like position of your target when you intercept their orbit, in case you want to do things the easy boring way.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 14, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Inacio posted:

It doesn't seem like that's what Harvester is saying. There are basically two parts: 1) more realistic lift calculations make existing planes more airworthy, giving Squad some breathing room to change other parts of the aerodynamics model (e.g. the drag model), and 2) ideally, a drag model would be lenient enough that you could still launch a horse into space.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Supraluminal posted:

It sounds like you're talking about taking a nuclear engine down on your lander, which you really never want to do if you're concerned about doing things efficiently. They're super-heavy and have low thrust, and they have terrible fuel efficiency in atmosphere

Nuclear engine Isp hits 400 somewhere around 1km, or shortly after (edit: on Kerbin, that is). Not terrible at all for Duna's thin atmosphere.

You are right about engine TWR, though.

If orbital rendezvous isn't palatable, perhaps some high TWR engines working in concert with the LV-N that you can toggle with a hotkey would be the way to go. Or if budget isn't important, enough fuel and LV-Ns for everything after LKO.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 14, 2015

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Just tried out making a tiny separating probe on my lander. Got some extra data out of a crater!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hope they add stock Airbrakes while working on the aerodynamic model.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Met posted:

I hope they add stock Airbrakes while working on the aerodynamic model.

They'd make for some :black101: seperatron replacements, too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What I brought back from devnote Tuesday is that the tail of a plane is used for pushing the nose up. So a couple of minor revisions later and I have a plane with its wings nearly all the way back and an angled tail that flies totally differently to anything I've ever built. Holy crap! Thanks Squad!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

General_Failure posted:

What I brought back from devnote Tuesday is that the tail of a plane is used for pushing the nose up. So a couple of minor revisions later and I have a plane with its wings nearly all the way back and an angled tail that flies totally differently to anything I've ever built. Holy crap! Thanks Squad!

Something that really helped me was looking at the different ww2 planes in warthunder and doing test flights to see how they flew.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

What sort of changes were/are you hoping?

Like, considering how much the current system sucks, I just hoped they wouldn't care about old planes anymore and made the changes ignoring them.

If they're limiting themselves because they don't want to break existing planes, that's silly.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Set your root part to your command pod. It doesn't have to specifically be the command pod but last time I ran into this bug, I'm pretty sure I had either a radial part, an engine, or both as the root, and the command pod is neither of these things and also not other things that might gently caress it up as well.

You also haven't lived until your rocket glitches out and puts your center of mass 500m behind your engine then flips out and disintegrates while your view looks at nothing at all, courtesy of RealChutes messing with some of my saved rocket designs having old parachutes on them.

Can I ask what you mean, exactly? Can you designate a different root now or something? I just started with the command pod and stuck on some tanks and an engine and the test parts. I re-installed and the same ship file is still screwy and I could only replicate it once more so I dunno what I must have done those two times.

e; Welp nevermind it seems to be the wedge module science things from universal storage. Wouldn't lift and immediately crashed.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 14, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inacio posted:

Like, considering how much the current system sucks, I just hoped they wouldn't care about old planes anymore and made the changes ignoring them.

If they're limiting themselves because they don't want to break existing planes, that's silly.

Kinda like KSP Stockholm Syndrome on a larger scale (add another stage of SRBs, still not to space; tweak the seperatrons, nope; scrapping the SRBs for another set of mainsails...) That would be a bummer.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
We care about existing stock planes. If the new model means some playermade planes just don't fly anymore, then so be it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

We care about existing stock planes. If the new model means some playermade planes just don't fly anymore, then so be it.

Thanks, Max, I love you

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Apparently I'm just not allowed to go to Jool. First probe disappeared completely without explanation, game crashed while launching a second one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Is there any way to use the numbers in Kerbal Engineer to know when to launch into an inclined orbit? I'm using kOS to try to write a program to autolaunch satellites into contract orbits. It's easy if it's an equatorial orbit, but inclined orbits are trickier. I can do it pretty easily if I manually sit on the launch pad and time warp until things look approximately correct in map view, but how could I calculate a launch window? The orbit I'm trying to fulfill in my current contract is apoapsis 3.2Mm, periapsis 2.4Mm, inclination 27.7 degrees, longitude of ascending node 175.5 degrees, and argument of periapsis 29.1 degrees. I guess basically what I'd like to do is automatically time warp until I should be launching.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Grand Fromage posted:

Apparently I'm just not allowed to go to Jool. First probe disappeared completely without explanation, game crashed while launching a second one.

I think you know why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38EDhpxzn2g#t=115

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
A part of me wonders if satellite contracts should be used to give players funds over time for X amount of time. Once you've launched a few of them you get the hang of it, and there's little incentive to keep them around or launch new ones (unless they give a big ol' chunk of cash).

Another interesting option is to require players to launch a pre-made satellite subassembly. It's up to the player to do so cheaply and effectively, and also teaches players about loading subassemblies in general.

Or, institute a weight / part limit on the satellites themselves. Sometime after being launched into orbit, spawn a new contract that requires an orbit adjustment. Requires players to return to it, dock, and move it. Or have one of those contract satellites break down, requiring you to send an engineer to fix the damned thing.

Also, now that you've added custom part sorting for the VAB, please allow a custom sorting option for the Tracking Station, or at least allow sorting by alphabet, planet, or launch date.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 14, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sending a lander :argh:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Supraluminal posted:

It sounds like you're talking about taking a nuclear engine down on your lander, which you really never want to do if you're concerned about doing things efficiently. They're super-heavy and have low thrust, and they have terrible fuel efficiency in atmosphere to boot which actually matters on Duna. This is where using docking ports and leaving your transfer stage in orbit is extremely useful.

Not to say it can't be done or that it's playing the game wrong to put a nuke on a single-stage there-and-back-again craft if that's what you want to do. Just that it generally makes things harder and more fuel-intensive than necessary.

Oh I'm entirely aware it was inefficient as hell. I was just saying it's possible without having to use rendezvous, even if rendezvous are hugely preferable. Also, I didn't burn the nuclear engine on Duna, but turned it off for the boost and then used it to do all the transfer burns needed to return.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fart simpson posted:

Is there any way to use the numbers in Kerbal Engineer to know when to launch into an inclined orbit? I'm using kOS to try to write a program to autolaunch satellites into contract orbits. It's easy if it's an equatorial orbit, but inclined orbits are trickier. I can do it pretty easily if I manually sit on the launch pad and time warp until things look approximately correct in map view, but how could I calculate a launch window? The orbit I'm trying to fulfill in my current contract is apoapsis 3.2Mm, periapsis 2.4Mm, inclination 27.7 degrees, longitude of ascending node 175.5 degrees, and argument of periapsis 29.1 degrees. I guess basically what I'd like to do is automatically time warp until I should be launching.

http://pastebin.com/5BZ2ygFT

This is how MechJeb calculates the time to launch to a given orbital inclination. You may be able to adapt it to kOS code.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Inacio posted:

That's silly.

Have you seen the number of people who will install FAR/NEAR and immediately whine that their stock-based designs don't work anymore? Not that they should be catered to, but there will be tears.

Synnr posted:

Can I ask what you mean, exactly? Can you designate a different root now or something?

Just so it's said, yes .9 allows selection of the root part. It's in the advanced tools (the brightly-colored little icons beside the parts menu that I keep forgetting are there).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nimper posted:

http://pastebin.com/5BZ2ygFT

This is how MechJeb calculates the time to launch to a given orbital inclination. You may be able to adapt it to kOS code.

Cool thanks, I'll start by looking at this.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
In the comments on the DevNote, Harvester notes plans to switch drag from a uniform acceleration (i.e., effectively proportional to mass) to a force (how drag really works). I actually think this would be a mistake. That approach is central to how forgiving the current game is of absurd rocket monstrosities, and of aggressive flying (e.g., hard turns at high velocity in-atmo), which seems to be what the devs want to keep.

By making the drag model more realistic, those "mistakes" would be punished by high instability, and likely outright unflyability, as they are in FAR. I think this unfun. It leads to catastrophic problems that are hard to diagnose and understand, being the result of invisible forces. What I think is the better outcome is if those kinds of mistakes are simply less delta-V efficient than "correct" approaches. To do this, I suggest the following:

Model occlusion (including fairings/cargo-bays), and rough shapes (nosecones pointed prograde have less drag than tops of fuel tanks, etc.) to come up with an overall drag. Then apply that drag, uniformly, as an acceleration, as the current stock game does. This results in a system that encourages "correct" rockets by making them more efficient, but doesn't introduce the new instabilities that FAR/NEAR do. It's a gentler push towards efficiency that doesn't punish gonzo creativity as harshly.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

revdrkevind posted:

Just so it's said, yes .9 allows selection of the root part. It's in the advanced tools (the brightly-colored little icons beside the parts menu that I keep forgetting are there).

Oh thats pretty cool, I guess that would make creating probes or whatever parts with their own root things easier when you stick them onto junk. Anyone know if B9 parts are going to work at all with stock drag model or is it just going to break something? Their post on the ksp forums said it was required but I didn't like dealing with the crap in FAR or NEAR in my try-out even if I wanted to make SSTO spaceplanes so...

Adventures in modding so far:

-Universal storage wedge things seem to lock my first stage in place, but I can dance around that with a 0 fuel first stage, maybe fiddling with root stuff will fix it?
-scaling down parts for testing can flip forces apparently, so the couplers I scaled down went into negative force and continued to exert force upon my test craft and the SAS was insufficient to fight it, so its just spinning off into space. The ship itself doesn't accelerate, but the orbits continue to slowly shift. RIP Jeb. I'll self-destruct him if I can't fix it and hope he comes back with all his ribbons.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm doing a play through where I'm setting up a mining base outside the KSC and will use that for all of my missions. I'm going to make money by mining and selling rocket parts back to the KSC. The end goal is for me to clear the tech tree and upgrade all the buildings without any contracts after I unlock all the mining parts and the launchpad parts I need.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been gone from KSP for a while, but have tried to keep up with the thread. Is the 64-bit career mode still screwed up? Or is it good to go?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It's a bit better. Or maybe 32 bit is a bit worse...either way, you'll have limited mod support for x64 at this time so it's not as nice. Most will still work, but they can't promise you won't see wonky things.

Unity 5 will hopefully be the final nail in the x64 issues, but that's a ways off yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And hopefully they'll support 64-bit on OS X now.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Trivia posted:

A part of me wonders if satellite contracts should be used to give players funds over time for X amount of time. Once you've launched a few of them you get the hang of it, and there's little incentive to keep them around or launch new ones (unless they give a big ol' chunk of cash).

Another interesting option is to require players to launch a pre-made satellite subassembly. It's up to the player to do so cheaply and effectively, and also teaches players about loading subassemblies in general.

Or, institute a weight / part limit on the satellites themselves. Sometime after being launched into orbit, spawn a new contract that requires an orbit adjustment. Requires players to return to it, dock, and move it. Or have one of those contract satellites break down, requiring you to send an engineer to fix the damned thing.

Also, now that you've added custom part sorting for the VAB, please allow a custom sorting option for the Tracking Station, or at least allow sorting by alphabet, planet, or launch date.

I like this idea, because right now the easiest and most efficient way to deal with these contracts is to build a small probe with an ion engine, lots of batteries and solar panels, and then take as many satellite contracts as possible and fulfil them all, one after the other, with just the one probe. If you get money over time, it means you need to have it there, and it means the more probes you have in orbit the more money you end up making.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So just did my most hectic orbital docking yet. Only because I made so many mistakes.

I built an Apollo style moon lander, nice and simple. Launch stage put me in an elliptical orbit about 70Dv from my planned moon encounter. Come time to reconfigure them after launch and I'm scrambling to do it to make that last nudge. Decouple and I realize how bad I screwed myself. I was using the monoprop engines for both the lander and the return stage. Because of that I completely omitted any other RCS. Thrust limit my engines down to their minimum 5.5%, tiny little jets to get me to the other side of the lander. Brake, turn around and send myself inching back toward its docking port on the reverse side. Jetpack a Kerbal over to it to spin it to the proper orientation just in time for them to connect and dock. Only then did I realize I could have just flipped the module over in the first place and saved myself all that trouble. :doh:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Trivia posted:

These are good ideas

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Count Roland posted:

These are good ideas

Agreed, those sound awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I wanted to get a SCANSAT altimetry map of the Mun before I landed on it, and for the hell of it I decided to go ahead and do the mission all-IVA with Probe Control Room and a bunch of external camera feeds.

Now to do the same thing with a lander. :jeb: