Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Rorus Raz posted:

Is this the one Latuff entered?

Yes, he got second prize. It was a contest for cartoons about the Holocaust, then later two Israeli artists arranged a more general antisemitic cartoon contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Let's see how Henry is doing

These little girls live in a wretched world, one filled with horror and fear

Theres no way Henry isn't 300 pounds

And Finally, do you think Henry had opinions on CH? You bet he did!!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Grapplejack posted:

Where do I need to go to get the "Absurdly Racist" ClipArt package for Microsoft Word 2003?

Alternatively: Is it a picture of two Arab caricatures or is it the messed up clay vase from the end of Ghost?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

He's calling for the internment of all Muslims in the US, right? That's what this garbage is saying in a terribly roundabout way, isn't it?

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

He's calling for the internment of all Muslims in the US, right? That's what this garbage is saying in a terribly roundabout way, isn't it?

Yes. It also relies on the reader viewing the internment of Japanese in the US as a good thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Angular Cyrus posted:

Yes, he got second prize. It was a contest for cartoons about the Holocaust, then later two Israeli artists arranged a more general antisemitic cartoon contest.

Some hosed up poo poo in those holocaust cartoons.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Art Spiegelman already did that one.

Several years ago, after the Jyllands Posten thing, some people in (IIRC) Iran decided to expose the heathen westerners for the hypocrites they were and organized an antisemitic cartoon contest, to say "let's see if you really like freedom of speech". And the obvious result was several Jewish cartoonists entering the competition. Art Spiegelman's entry was an old Jew chastising a crying child holding a picture of money, and telling him something like "let this be a lesson for you, Abie: it is forbidden to depict the Profit!"

As obnoxious as their Bush-fluffing neocon sympathies were, I liked the Cox & Forkum entry into that contest that hid Ahmadinejad's face in Hitler's.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

These little girls live in a wretched world, one filled with horror and fear

I rode by 3 public playgrounds to get to work today :psyduck:

Next cartoon: complains about Are Tax Dollars being used for public parks in the city.

By the way, why do so many of his dialogues end in an asterisk, and there's no matching citation at the bottom :confused:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

alnilam posted:

Next cartoon: complains about Are Tax Dollars being used for public parks in the city.

By the way, why do so many of his dialogues end in an asterisk, and there's no matching citation at the bottom :confused:

I wondered the same thing and figured that he puts the citation outside of the image and the poster didn't include them like they would the Dry Bones entries.

Either that or it's his way of indicating to the reader that the comic was written by an rear end in a top hat.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"Yes, at least four."

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Gravel Gravy posted:

I wondered the same thing and figured that he puts the citation outside of the image and the poster didn't include them like they would the Dry Bones entries.

Either that or it's his way of indicating to the reader that the comic was written by an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, the comments are on the website. They were included here a couple of times, but I assume the poster stopped because they were just as useless and stupid as the rest of the comic.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

T-man posted:

"Yes, at least four."

It is noted these cartoonists aren't Rall or Muir.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

R. Mute posted:

????

????

??

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

loquacius posted:

Welp, best do nothing at all then, oh wait that's bad too. Welp, best tear down our entire country because otherwise we might get our humanitarian aid wrong.

Or, you know, just get better at it. All I'm saying is that it's understandable that some people might not consider the US military showing up in the wake of a disaster as an unambiguously good thing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
"Just get better at it" is really cunning insight. I am genuinely curious as to what people expect the United States to do about Boko Haram or ebola or anything that won't just piss everyone off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:lol: that "There is something between full-scale military intervention and sitting around twiddling our thumbs" is an idea that is at all controversial.

Obviously it's extremely difficult to sort out what to do with the war torn mess that colonialism left behind, if the solution were as easy as a sentence that can be posted in a political cartoon thread, someone would have done it. The pessimistic "well, since we shouldn't invade, why are we so keen to bring it up?" is just loving bizarre.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wasn't even posing that question as a "well we got bombs or nothing, you choose" sort of false dichotomy. I'm really honestly curious as to how the US is supposed to intervene in all these problems around the world but not in a way that could be interpreted as world policing. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Couple of pages back, but I'm surprised no-one translated this, if only for the record.

"Why does an artist draw?
To get a reaction.
If you don't get letters,
you're a bad cartoonist.
If you get super-positive letters,
you're a quite good cartoonist.
If you get threats,
you're a strong cartoonist.
If you get sad letters*,
you're not a cartoonist anymore.
You've crossed the line
when you besmirch the dignity of any person."

tldr "cartoonists aren't supposed to hurt people's feelings".

*I think this bit got lost in translation, because it literally means "teardrop letters", which isn't an idiom I'm familiar with in either French or English. Maybe it's Russian.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RyokoTK posted:

I wasn't even posing that question as a "well we got bombs or nothing, you choose" sort of false dichotomy. I'm really honestly curious as to how the US is supposed to intervene in all these problems around the world but not in a way that could be interpreted as world policing. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Fully and immediately implement all principles and practices of Social Justice. That is what must be done, and is not being done.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I think the answer is more complicated than a single paragraph and probably even more than a thread with multiple pages of discussion on the topic, and it has to take into account a whole host of other international players, personally, but I do think that when villages are massacred en masse, a response that isn't "That kind of thing happens all the time there, though? Let's get back to Charlie"(which people seem fine to talk about without proposing "solutions") is an okay, tiny first step.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

carry on then posted:

Fully and immediately implement all principles and practices of Social Justice.

Actually, my question was about ethics in video game journalism.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RyokoTK posted:

"Just get better at it" is really cunning insight. I am genuinely curious as to what people expect the United States to do about Boko Haram or ebola or anything that won't just piss everyone off.

Pretty sure the Mexicans managed to help out in Haiti without locking down the capital and pissing everyone off but yeah there are probably a range of options between nothing at all and temporary military annexation. As Bicyclops has pointed out I don't think this thread has the kind of experts that could give a worthwhile answer to what should be done for every individual foreign aid situation but it probably involves cooperating with existing aid and government organisations at the very least.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Hitler B. Natural posted:

tldr "cartoonists aren't supposed to hurt people's feelings".

Russia has a big presence on Deviantart, doesn't it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

:lol: that "There is something between full-scale military intervention and sitting around twiddling our thumbs" is an idea that is at all controversial.

Obviously it's extremely difficult to sort out what to do with the war torn mess that colonialism left behind, if the solution were as easy as a sentence that can be posted in a political cartoon thread, someone would have done it. The pessimistic "well, since we shouldn't invade, why are we so keen to bring it up?" is just loving bizarre.

It's easy to talk endless poo poo about how every possible way the West could respond to a crisis is bad, and even easier if all you have to do when someone asks you what they should be doing instead is just kick back and say "of COURSE I can't sum up the vast complexity of a response that would satisfy me in something as simple as a post on the Internet, but trust me, one exists out there somewhere :smug:"

If you don't have any better ideas, then yeah, don't talk poo poo. Even R Mute's "just burn the fucker down" post was at least an answer.

Personally I think everyone's proposed vast, sweeping systemic changes would take at least a generation to have any effect, and in the meantime there is a militant group massacring people right now and if we want them to stop massacring people we're going to have to defeat them. No reason we couldn't do that AND end neocolonialism or whatever.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Funosaurus posted:

Yes. It also relies on the reader viewing the internment of Japanese in the US as a good thing.

I thought it was about nuking the middle east.

alnilam posted:

I usually don't include the citation when I pull comics because it's just a fox news link, just generally when the tags are super racist. I can do that if you want though ;)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Several cartoonists including JJ McCullough and Ann Telnaes did some photo essays on the CH shooting for Bors' site: https://medium.com/the-nib/laugh-cry-be-offended-ba8f59553c79
JJ's is predictably smug but also kind of funny I have to admit.

Meanwhile,

2 IMPERIAL PRESIDENCY :argh:

3 Bors did this one already, Ted. And better.

5 OK, I laughed at "Veto Corleone" at least.

7 http://www.cbsnews.com/news/d-c-metro-deaths-what-went-wrong/

8 :pwn:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Welp. The one bit of Russian news coverage I saw was an outright dumb and so goddamn crazy (or at least shrill and actively hysterical) reporter screeching about :
Millions of Muslims in France.
Billions of new mosques, no new Catholic houses of worship.
A "House of Islamic Culture" (what kind of culture could Muslims possibly have?) funded by Parisian taxpayers.
That's not enough for those people - another Islamic museum is being built right across the street, for a billion million Francs.

Charlie Hebdo (apparently) weren't fond of this overtly tolerant approach towards der Untermensches. They mocked Muslims, the EU, Merkel etc (they also sucked down Putin's big manly cock as every good journo should - not said, but actively implied).

I sorta assumed that was going to be the Russian spin.

Nah, Kremlin loves the idea of a peaceful, multinational empire where everyone gets respected and tolerated as long as they hold Traditional Values. Obviously freedom of speech is considered a gaynazi european abomination and is basically the worst thing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

THEY HAD ARMED GUARDS YOU gently caress

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

5 OK, I laughed at "Veto Corleone" at least.

Article 1. Section 7 of the United States Constitution posted:

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

PRESIDENTIAL VETO POWER IS IN THE FRIGGIN CONSTITUTION, YOU HACKS

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Romney bulks up in areas that didn't need bulking while completely skipping leg day leading to another nasty fall. AGC

I'd avoid eye contact with a candidate that lived in the woods and strung children up by their intestines too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

alnilam posted:

THEY HAD ARMED GUARDS YOU gently caress
They're all peaceniks over in France, of course. They don't have any kind of heavily armed special police around all the time or anything like that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

It's easy to talk endless poo poo about how every possible way the West could respond to a crisis is bad, and even easier if all you have to do when someone asks you what they should be doing instead is just kick back and say "of COURSE I can't sum up the vast complexity of a response that would satisfy me in something as simple as a post on the Internet, but trust me, one exists out there somewhere :smug:"

If you don't have any better ideas, then yeah, don't talk poo poo. Even R Mute's "just burn the fucker down" post was at least an answer.

Personally I think everyone's proposed vast, sweeping systemic changes would take at least a generation to have any effect, and in the meantime there is a militant group massacring people right now and if we want them to stop massacring people we're going to have to defeat them. No reason we couldn't do that AND end neocolonialism or whatever.

If our choices are inaction or full-scale military intervention or "Bicyclops, not an expert on Africa has to come up with a solution," then I'd talk to some people I trust and go with option three, I guess, but between the first two, yes, inaction would be better than military intervention. I'm sorry that I am not enough of an expert to propose an exact solution, but given the repeated conflicts in the area in Rwanda, the People's Republic of Congo and Nigeria, it seems to me that crushing one group of slaughterers really does not seem like a realistic or helpful idea.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I know this is "Durr mass shooting\Europe == No gun zone :downs:" but this really does piss me off.

What does he want? The police officers to be doubly armed with guns? THEY HAD GUNS, THEY loving SHOT BACK! :argh:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

So is he calling himself the torch now, or what.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

If our choices are inaction or full-scale military intervention or "Bicyclops, not an expert on Africa has to come up with a solution," then I'd talk to some people I trust and go with option three, I guess, but between the first two, yes, inaction would be better than military intervention. I'm sorry that I am not enough of an expert to propose an exact solution, but given the repeated conflicts in the area in Rwanda, the People's Republic of Congo and Nigeria, it seems to me that crushing one group of slaughterers really does not seem like a realistic or helpful idea.

The whole point is that, in the subforum Debate and Discussion, when you're posed a question, hopefully you have a response other than "um... well, uh... I don't think this is the place to go into it..."

I think we can all agree that the US shouldn't just drop a million bombs on Africa and call it a day, but the question is what do you want instead?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

fatherboxx posted:

Nah, Kremlin loves the idea of a peaceful, multinational empire where everyone gets respected and tolerated as long as they hold Traditional Values. Obviously freedom of speech is considered a gaynazi european abomination and is basically the worst thing.

That sounds awful.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"No, but I understand your confusion because Ralph Ellison's book has the same title."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it just me or is the portrayal of terrorists in political cartoons moving further and further away from just muslims in general? I mean, if so, good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

It didn't take long for people to use the CH massacre as a political attack tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Probably would've been better if they made murder illegal instead of guns.

• Locked thread