Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

SaltLick posted:

why did a jedi killing robot have a cough

because he was actually a person who's head and internal organs were transplanted into a robot body by palpatine after his organic body was destroyed.

Lucas probably thought it was brilliant foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SaltLick posted:

why did a jedi killing robot have a cough

He was a practice run for Darth Vader, who also had breathing issues but they were more manageable

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was a practice run for Darth Vader, who also had breathing issues but they were more manageable

It appears he was a much more successful project, however, considering Darth Vader has trouble walking and Grievous was doing backflips.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Remember when kenobi shoots him and then remarks at how uncivilized it was.

He dismembered a dude in a bar fight and used the force to mind gently caress a guy selling death sticks.

But yeah, shooting a bad guy trying to kill you. Thats uncivilized.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

He dismembered a dude in a bar fight and used the force to mind gently caress a guy selling death sticks.

Don't forget the beheadings.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Abeloth

quote:

Abeloth was antagonized by loneliness; she felt an absolute need to be loved and adored, and was nearly overcome when Vol attacked her with the idea that she was hideous and despised. She fed her craving for adulation by instilling in Force-sensitives a desire to be with her. This stemmed from her original fear of losing her family, who remained ageless while she became old and decrepit.
EU can't even do their rip-off Great Old Ones correctly.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read all those books and have no idea what the gently caress even happened in them

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

dog buttz posted:

because he was actually a person who's head and internal organs were transplanted into a robot body by palpatine after his organic body was destroyed.

Lucas probably thought it was brilliant foreshadowing.

Weren't his lungs force crushed by Mace Windu who wound up feeling INFINITE SADNESS for such a barbaric display?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

dog buttz posted:

It appears he was a much more successful project, however, considering Darth Vader has trouble walking and Grievous was doing backflips.

Well, having the fights actually have emotional impact instead of just being visual spectacles was an improvement for the story. Flippy poo poo is fun to watch and all, but it never feels particularly clever in the films, it's missing something to make it swashbuckling, you know?

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
Did anyone ever call out Lucas on that bullshit he was peddling when TPM came out about old men and cyborgs not being able to flip around like chinese acrobats but then sure enough next two movies are full of old men and cyborgs flipping around like, well like a poorly animated CG approximation of chinese acrobats if we're being honest, but still.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Lucas obviously thought that backflippin' Yoda was going to blow everyone's minds but everyone hated it. I remember endless bitching over that scene back when the film first hit cinemas.

Edit: Yoda's lightsaber battle actually won the 2003 MTV Award for best fight (Lucasfilm has apparently scrubbed all the copies on youtube but you can find it on dodgy Russian video sites pretty easily) but pay close attention to Colin Farrell's expression and body language as they announce the winner. :v:
Yoda's acceptance speech is also another example of the Star Wars writers trying to do something 'cool' and completely failing.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 14, 2015

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

Weren't his lungs force crushed by Mace Windu who wound up feeling INFINITE SADNESS for such a barbaric display?

I never knew about that but it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? The most aggressive, least compassionate Jedi who constantly toes the line between dark and light feeling infinite sadness over an enemy being injured?

...doesn't it?

Fetus Tree posted:

no see that was a reference to when he said lightsabers are for a more civilized age

if you understood the genius of lucas you'd get it

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well, having the fights actually have emotional impact instead of just being visual spectacles was an improvement for the story. Flippy poo poo is fun to watch and all, but it never feels particularly clever in the films, it's missing something to make it swashbuckling, you know?

Oh, I totally agree. I was just saying that it's dumb that Grevious came before Vader, they're essentially the same, yet Grevious is agile and Vader is crippled. I think Grevious would have been much cooler if he was basically a proto-vader.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

dog buttz posted:

I never knew about that but it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? The most aggressive, least compassionate Jedi who constantly toes the line between dark and light feeling infinite sadness over an enemy being injured?

no see that was a reference to when he said lightsabers are for a more civilized age

if you understood the genius of lucas you'd get it

Oh, I totally agree. I was just saying that it's dumb that Grevious came before Vader, they're essentially the same, yet Grevious is agile and Vader is crippled. I think Grevious would have been much cooler if he was basically a proto-vader.

grievous isn't agile at all in the movies though. he's slow and clunky and easily outmaneuvered. eveyrone complained about it because he wasn't like he was in the lovely eu

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

grievous isn't agile at all in the movies though. he's slow and clunky and easily outmaneuvered. eveyrone complained about it because he wasn't like he was in the lovely eu

Was he not? I do remember his arms were extremely fast so maybe I'm remembering him wrong because of that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lucas obviously thought that backflippin' Yoda was going to blow everyone's minds but everyone hated it. I remember endless bitching over that scene back when the film first hit cinemas.

Edit: Yoda's lightsaber battle actually won the 2003 MTV Award for best fight (Lucasfilm has apparently scrubbed all the copies on youtube but you can find it on dodgy Russian video sites pretty easily) but pay close attention to Colin Farrell's expression and body language as they announce the winner. :v:
Yoda's acceptance speech is also another example of the Star Wars writers trying to do something 'cool' and completely failing.

i saw it twice when i was a kid and both times the theater broke out in loud cheers. this was such a common occurrence that people started complaining about it on the internet. eveyrone liked backflipping yoda

also colin farrell wasn't signaling his principled disgust of backfliping cgi yoda via subtle body language at the 2003 MTV awards

anyways......star wars sucks. a lot.

edit: except for the first two i mean

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 14, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah people cheered in my theater too.

honestly the best part of the prequels was that one that had the camera move up towards a planet instead of down right after the title scroll

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Namely, it exploits the nostalgia people have for the original trilogy while contributing nothing of interest.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
it's like poetry, it rhymes

what's wrong with your faaace

it's so dense, eveyr image has so much going on

sorry lol, had to be done. anyway, i agree. the prequels were puerile trash that had nothing original to say about anything worthwhile. they basically just recycled ideas and catchphrases from something much better and more entertaining that was made by someone else

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cnut the Great posted:

it's like poetry, it rhymes

what's wrong with your faaace

it's so dense, eveyr image has so much going on

sorry lol, had to be done. anyway, i agree. the prequels were puerile trash that had nothing original to say about anything worthwhile. they basically just recycled ideas and catchphrases from something much better and more entertaining that was made by someone else

Playing KOTOR II and one of the NPCs keeps on saying, "I have a bad feeling about this!" and I constantly tell him to shut up about it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wish they had made another regular KOTOR instead of the MMO one

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fetus Tree posted:

I wish they had made another regular KOTOR instead of the MMO one

Well at least there's another Star Wars Battlefront coming out (allegedly).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i like the beginning of rots because the war drums were cool and it panned to a giant space battle but that battle sucked so really its only the first 20 seconds

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
When they say "forest moon of Endor," do they mean that the actual moon itself is named Endor? Or is the the planet it orbits called Endor, and there's also a beach moon of Endor, sponge moon of Endor?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thunderlips posted:

When they say "forest moon of Endor," do they mean that the actual moon itself is named Endor? Or is the the planet it orbits called Endor, and there's also a beach moon of Endor, sponge moon of Endor?

apparently endor was a gas giant it orbited

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SaltLick posted:

i like the beginning of rots because the war drums were cool and it panned to a giant space battle but that battle sucked so really its only the first 20 seconds

ya that was a huge let down after that awesome 20 seconds

loving nothing but close up shots and stupid buzz droid shits

I get irrationally angry when people say "but RotS was ok" NO IT loving WASNT DUMBSHIT

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Thunderlips posted:

Grammar is your ally here.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Moola posted:

ya that was a huge let down after that awesome 20 seconds

loving nothing but close up shots and stupid buzz droid shits

I get irrationally angry when people say "but RotS was ok" NO IT loving WASNT DUMBSHIT

But it's SO DARK AND ANGRY AND EMOTIONAL. Of course it's okay.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
poo poo space battles, poo poo lightsaber fights, poo poo dialogue, anakain's "turn" was poo poo, padme's death was poo poo

poo poo

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Palpatine is a great comedian though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
UNLIMIIIIIIITED POWWWWWAAAAA

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Moola posted:

poo poo space battles, poo poo lightsaber fights, poo poo dialogue, anakain's "turn" was poo poo, padme's death was poo poo

poo poo

You mean you don't like the forty-minute lightsaber fight between poorly-established "friends" on an obviously greenscreened-in lava planet?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Trevor Hale posted:

why even keep his dank-rear end lungs though

why not just have robot lungs

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

You mean you don't like the forty-minute lightsaber fight between poorly-established "friends" on an obviously greenscreened-in lava planet?

40 minute joke that isn't funny isn't a joking matter.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Calico Heart posted:

why even keep his dank-rear end lungs though

why not just have robot lungs

You're asking the wrong person, buddy. If you're gonna force crush anything, why not his head?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
force crushing someones lungs doesnt seem like a very Jedi thing to do

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
don't dig too far into it. if you did, you start asking why they didn't force crush a specific artery and then its all downhill from there

Moola posted:

would agree except for the gamorrean guards in ROTJ/Luke

i should probs watch that movie since it owns tbh. or maybe esb

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Moola posted:

Neither is killing in general.
It's more Jedi-like than maiming a random rear end in a top hat at a bar you could have easily mind controlled to calm down, especially since you'd assume being drunk makes you more susceptible to mental persuasion.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I swear there was some nonsense about Mace being like, a dark jedi or some nonsense, like more in tune with the dark side of the force but still being a good guy somehow.

quote:

"I created Vaapad to answer my weakness: it channels my own darkness into a weapon of the light."
―Mace Windu, to Obi-Wan Kenobi[

gently caress

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah now that you guys mention it, Jedi are dicks

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

yeah now that you guys mention it, Jedi are dicks

Palpatine did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU