Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

MrBling posted:

Wolves have bought future Arsenal superstar Benik Afobe.

Guess he wasn't good enough after all.

Arsenal's youth academy is loving dire, should come as no surprise to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TelekineticBear! posted:

Arsenal's youth academy is loving dire, should come as no surprise to anyone.

But Gideon Zelalem is the next Jack Wilshere!

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:
I'm starting to worry that Kevin Nolan's transfer from West Ham to Free Transfer might not be happening this window

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

sassassin posted:

But Gideon Zelalem is the next Jack Wilshere!

it's amazing how everyone used to make jokes about Wenger and his youth policy, but Arsenal have produced 2 players in the past 20 years or whatever, one being Ashley Cole and the other being Wilshere. Its a loving embarrassment for a club the size of Arsenal with their resources to produce gently caress all talent. In terms of premier league talent produced, Leeds embarrass them in the past 10 years or so, they should be ashamed.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Arsene can conjure Left Backs out of thin air.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

TelekineticBear! posted:

it's amazing how everyone used to make jokes about Wenger and his youth policy, but Arsenal have produced 2 players in the past 20 years or whatever, one being Ashley Cole and the other being Wilshere. Its a loving embarrassment for a club the size of Arsenal with their resources to produce gently caress all talent. In terms of premier league talent produced, Leeds embarrass them in the past 10 years or so, they should be ashamed.

You missed out Gibbs who's a bit shite but still, he's playing for the third best team in England. Szczesny and Fabregas should count too imo.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

You missed out Gibbs who's a bit shite but still, he's playing for the third best team in England. Szczesny and Fabregas should count too imo.

I did forget Gibbs, but theres no way Fabregas should count thats for sure. Signing a 16 year old and slotting them into the first team isn't exactly Arsenal produced, it'd be like saying Sterling is a Liverpool youth player ffs, same goes for Szczesny he just made less of an impact.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I'd agree with that for Walcott or Chamberlain but Fabregas and Szczesny both spent time in the youth team iirc. I think i probably would say Sterling counts for Liverpool he never played for QPR and spent two years in Liverpool's youth system.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arsene has developed a lot of raw talent into really good players, it doesn't really matter whether he started working with them when they were 12 or 16 or 21 he still has a really good record of spotting and developing talent

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Then injuring it haha

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Costa Rican frontman and show host Celso Borges to Deportivo La Coruña is a done deal.

http://www.aikfotboll.se/Article.aspx?contentID=9005
http://www.canaldeportivo.com/servlet/es.iris.servlets.Noticias?accion=4&ver=1&nid=29497&mid=12

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Independent are talking about Man City being in for Jay Rodriguez.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Total Meatlove posted:

Surely silly season?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Blue Star Error posted:

Gibbs was signed from Wimbledon at 16/17 or whatever. Same with Fabregas and Szcz.

Under Wenger Arsenal have produced lots of players that were poached as teenagers but only two academy products of their own. Not the best record, but easily comparable to the other top clubs.

There's a lot of Arsenal academy players in the premier league and the other big leagues in europe depending on how you define an academy product. Even Harry Kane spent time at Arsenal ffs

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Surely silly season?

Cheap(ish), English, left footed, one in two last season, probably wouldn't want the world in wages to get you under FFP.

Spend £300m on Messi or £25m on Milner mkII.

but yer of course it's silly season.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
More than English, he's an English guy with a Spanish name. This fits so perfectly well into the Barcafication project.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
I guess if Jovetic was to go it might make sense, just seems well out of left field

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

kcer posted:

£70k pw and a 3yr contract at age 32, not bad

Imagine what he would have gotten at QPR.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Shrapnig posted:

Imagine what he would have gotten at QPR.

I started to imagine this and my hands started moving toward my thighs on their own

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Chuggo the bone love reaching for his own bone with his tiny brush

I wish we'd sign a defender

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

The Big Taff Man posted:

Chuggo the bone love reaching for his own bone with his tiny brush

I wish we'd sign a defender

if you want a manchester united defender lvg could always give ninpo a call haha

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tbp posted:

if you want a manchester united defender lvg could always give ninpo a call haha
lol

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

MrBling posted:

Wolves have bought future Arsenal superstar Benik Afobe.

Guess he wasn't good enough after all.

A few years ago I went along to the FA youth cup final at the Emirates (Arsenal demolished Liverpool) and that was supposed to be the first team that had been brought through from kids completely under Wenger's system and would be core of the all british team he was building who played football The Arsenal Way

Here's the line up and (Current Club)

1 England James Shea (AFC Wimbledon)
2 England Craig Eastmond (Colchester United)
3 England Thomas Cruise (Torquay United)
4 England Kyle Bartley (Birmingham City)
5 England Emmanuel Frimpong (Football Club Ufa, Russia PL)
6 England Luke Ayling (Bristol City)
7 England Henri Lansbury (Nottingham Forrest)
8 France Francis Coquelin (Arsenal)
9 France Gilles Sunu (Lorient, Ligue Un)
10 England Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
11 England Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (c) (Bristol City)

Substitutes:
12 England Rhys Murphy (Dagenham & Redbridge)
14 England Sanchez Watt (Colchester United)
15 Republic of Ireland Conor Henderson (Crawley Town)
16 Cameroon Cedric Evinar (Doncaster Rovers)

I suppose apart from the 2, they were all actually garbage?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Who are the two?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

The Big Taff Man posted:

Who are the two?

Wilshere and Frimpong

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah even 1 is a stretch, don't tell me Coquelin is your second.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He is at least playing in the Arsenal first team tbf, whether he's any good or not is another matter

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

is that eto?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Total Meatlove posted:

It sort of makes sense if Milner is leaving as he fulfills a HG slot, but the guy hasn't played for nearly a year and by the way people are talking down here he might not play this season. Huge gamble on his ability after the injury as well.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

euroboy posted:

Gibbs was signed from Wimbledon at 16/17 or whatever. Same with Fabregas and Szcz.

Under Wenger Arsenal have produced lots of players that were poached as teenagers but only two academy products of their own. Not the best record, but easily comparable to the other top clubs.

There's a lot of Arsenal academy players in the premier league and the other big leagues in europe depending on how you define an academy product. Even Harry Kane spent time at Arsenal ffs

Yeah, it's about the same as most other teams. The "Arsenal Youth System" (tm) was mostly about buying promising players when they're young and cheap and letting them develop, but they haven't been doing that as much recently. I remember seeing somewhere that the club recognized that the academy wasn't in great shape and wanted to do a complete overhaul.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Middlesbrough superstar Daniel Ayala played for Liverpool in that game

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I just meant that they're active players still playing for the club whilst the majority aren't even in top flight football anywhere.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Yeah, it's about the same as most other teams. The "Arsenal Youth System" (tm) was mostly about buying promising players when they're young and cheap and letting them develop, but they haven't been doing that as much recently. I remember seeing somewhere that the club recognized that the academy wasn't in great shape and wanted to do a complete overhaul.

Yeah they let Liam Brady go and replaced him with Jonker whos doing his thing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kyle Bartley has done alright as Swansea's fourth best centre back this season.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

EvilHawk posted:

It sort of makes sense if Milner is leaving as he fulfills a HG slot, but the guy hasn't played for nearly a year and by the way people are talking down here he might not play this season. Huge gamble on his ability after the injury as well.

I agree, Rodriguez really relied on his pace last season when he was great and everyone noticed him, who knows if he will have retained that and I think clubs will wait and see before going for him.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

euroboy posted:

Yeah they let Liam Brady go and replaced him with Jonker whos doing his thing

I thought he supported Bayern

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Adnar posted:

A few years ago I went along to the FA youth cup final at the Emirates (Arsenal demolished Liverpool) and that was supposed to be the first team that had been brought through from kids completely under Wenger's system and would be core of the all british team he was building who played football The Arsenal Way

Here's the line up and (Current Club)

Same but for the Liverpool side they faced

1 Australia Dean Bouzanis (Western Sydney Wanderers)
2 England Karl Clair (Marine FC)
3 Germany Christopher Buchtmann (St Pauli)
4 Spain Daniel Ayala (Middlesbrough)
5 England Joe Kennedy (c) (retired)
6 England Andre Wisdom (WBA on loan from Liverpool)
7 England David Amoo (Carlisle)
8 England Steven Irwin (retired?)
9 Finland Lauri Dalla Valle (Crewe Alexandra)
10 England Tom Ince (Forest on loan from Hull)
11 Sweden Alexander Kačaniklić (FC Copenhagen on loan from Fulham)

Substitutes:
12 England Nathan Eccleston (Partick Thistle)
13 England Deale Chamberlain (Solihull Moors last season, retired?)
14 England Michael Roberts (retired?)
15 Scotland Alex Cooper (Falkirk)
16 England Jack Robinson (Huddersfield on loan from QPR)

I don't like it.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Not to say that it couldn't be better, but there is no academy churning out superstars constantly. Even Ajax mostly just creates functional players these days. Academies are just a roll of the dice where most of the time you lose, but occasionally something decent comes up. To expect Permier League quality players straight out of any academy is always going to be a rarity. That said, Arsenal's academy fell behind the pack a bit when they started getting real money again and buying the players they needed rather then trying to create them. I think Jonker's overhaul is very welcome, but to expect a constant stream of superstars is a pipe dream.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Edmund Honda posted:

Steven Irwin (retired?)

I've got some bad news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Still B.A.E posted:

I've got some bad news for you

I didn't have the heart to tell him.