Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

tithin posted:

Harrys conversation with Titania just prior to confronting the lesser queens on the island.

Okay, that's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure from context if you meant something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Yeah I meant from the story since the guy said he likes how Butcher brings his morals into his stories.

Jim has pretty much said he's intentionally made Harry a goon for most of the series, kind of making him grow up a little in Skin Game.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I know Jim finished Cinder Spires but do we know how far into the new Dresden book he is? I'm assuming we're talking early to mid 2016 for release now?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Jim has pretty much said he's intentionally made Harry a goon for most of the series, kind of making him grow up a little in Skin Game.

Yeah but that wasn't instigated by Harry. it was Titania essentially going "Let's talk about homosexuals for a moment here. For no reason". Even if it was a really well written conversation(which it wasn't), it was out of place.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oroborus posted:

I know Jim finished Cinder Spires but do we know how far into the new Dresden book he is? I'm assuming we're talking early to mid 2016 for release now?

I'd be shocked if we got next Dresden before mid 2016.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd be shocked if we got next Dresden before mid 2016.

If it is 18 months between books that means we're going to be finishing the series around 2027 that is a long way to go.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

If it is 18 months between books that means we're going to be finishing the series around 2027 that is a long way to go.

It'll be longer than that most likely as Jim has said he expects each book of the final trilogy to take twice as long as a case file to write, and the amount of time it's been taking him to write a case file has been slowly creeping up. It's more likely that 2030 (or later) is when we'll see the last book published.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ornamented Death posted:

It'll be longer than that most likely as Jim has said he expects each book of the final trilogy to take twice as long as a case file to write, and the amount of time it's been taking him to write a case file has been slowly creeping up. It's more likely that 2030 (or later) is when we'll see the last book published.

A GRRM must always exist.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

computer parts posted:

A GRRM must always exist.

Except Jim publishes books on a pretty regular schedule.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The iZombie trailer looks pretty fun. Very Veronica Mars.

Weirdly enough, the show's premise seems actually closer to the White Trash Zombie series than the comic it's based on.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zore posted:

Well, the libriomancer book was weird.

Spoilers I don't know where the gently caress the series goes from here, this was a hell of a change to the status quo. Magic out in the open, Gutenberg dead and all the locks on books destroyed. The book was also disjointed and felt almost rushed or incomplete.

Also the stuff between chapters made the chronology confusing and weird, though I appreciated most of them. The letter Isaac's brother sent him was a great callout and gulping even if there is no reaction in the text. I honestly don't see how you follow up on any of this poo poo.

I just finished Unbound, and I disagree with your "rushed or incomplete" critique. It moved along at a great clip, everything flowed well from one situation to another, and those interludes showed the story of magic becoming known to the world without distracting from the main story or delving into too much detail. There was denial, blame, bad reactions, and eventually acceptance. It was deftly handled!

I found the first Libriomancer book to be alright and the second more of the same, but Unbound is legitimately good. It's much like how Dresden kicks into gear in the third book. I'm really excited to see where things go in Libriomancer 4.

As a parting shot, I'd like to say how nice it is to finally have a good Urban Fantasy novel that isn't a Dresden clone or set in London. This series is quite refreshing because it does everything that the rest of the Urban Fantasy genre does not. You could rename it to Urban Fantasy: Inverted Tropes Edition and not be far off the mark.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I really liked Unbound, too. There were some nice "oh, poo poo" moments, and that letter from his brother was something I really wanted to see Isaac's reaction to. It'll be interesting to see all the fallout from Gutenberg death and the unlocking of a ton of books, plus the reveal that magic is real. Honestly, I am SO tired of every urban fantasy going, "yep, we gotta hide this from everyone for reasons!" It's just refreshing to see this series go this route.

I started his Goblin Quest series last night, just to see where Smudge came from, and it's okay - finished book one today. Not great, but not bad, either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

OneTwentySix posted:

I really liked Unbound, too. There were some nice "oh, poo poo" moments, and that letter from his brother was something I really wanted to see Isaac's reaction to. It'll be interesting to see all the fallout from Gutenberg death and the unlocking of a ton of books, plus the reveal that magic is real. Honestly, I am SO tired of every urban fantasy going, "yep, we gotta hide this from everyone for reasons!" It's just refreshing to see this series go this route.

I started his Goblin Quest series last night, just to see where Smudge came from, and it's okay - finished book one today. Not great, but not bad, either.

I like his goblin books more than one and two of libriomancer. Different, but fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Libriomancer one and two are okay but are not great. There are good ideas and characters, but they're also sort of self absorbed in a weird sense.

The first is all about the world building, and the second is about how Lena's situation is messed up and I'm totally calling that out and you have to acknowledge that drat it! No really this stuff is whack yo, so pay attention!

There are some genuinely good moments in both books and the magic system is fascinating. The book stuff is just the surface of it. When the books get out of their own way, they are pretty good.

So while I liked books one and two, it wasn't until Unbound that I felt this stores could be great. Unbound is seriously good stuff.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I didn't read the second libriomancer book because I was afraid of getting an iron druid treatment. It sounds like it's worth picking up though! Which is good because I burned through Firefight in less than a day and need something else to read :v:

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

ConfusedUs posted:

Libriomancer one and two are okay but are not great. There are good ideas and characters, but they're also sort of self absorbed in a weird sense.

The first is all about the world building, and the second is about how Lena's situation is messed up and I'm totally calling that out and you have to acknowledge that drat it! No really this stuff is whack yo, so pay attention!

There are some genuinely good moments in both books and the magic system is fascinating. The book stuff is just the surface of it. When the books get out of their own way, they are pretty good.

So while I liked books one and two, it wasn't until Unbound that I felt this stores could be great. Unbound is seriously good stuff.

So the third one is actually good? I haven't started the second one because I felt that while the first one was decent, and I think the magic system is cool, it wasn't very well done. If it starts getting good, I may catch up.

I really should also see about Iron Druid to see how good/bad it is. One of my good friends loves those books.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The third Libriomancer is clearly the best of the three. There's a few parts where I think it crawls, but overall it really comes into its own. If you read the first one or two and were on the fence about continuing, Unbound is both better written and a better story.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Iron Druid starts okay and gets progressively worse as the series progresses. I tolerated it for quite a while, because there were good elements, and I figured it was just one of those bad series that you can still get some enjoyment out of. But eventually I just got to a point where I'd read a whole book and it was just really, really bad and I hadn't enjoyed any of it, so I didn't bother following any further.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mortanis posted:

The third Libriomancer is clearly the best of the three. There's a few parts where I think it crawls, but overall it really comes into its own. If you read the first one or two and were on the fence about continuing, Unbound is both better written and a better story.

This is a much more concise way of saying what I've been trying to say.

Iron Druid, on the other hand... Just stop when the lolcats appear. The books are schlock, but fun schlock, for a few books. The lolcats jokes are about where the series stops being fun and just gets annoying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hello, thread.

I've lately been thinking of re-reading the Dresden Files from Storm Front on.* It's been a couple of years since I touched the series; I have to admit it was partly the "inside Molly's head is the bridge of the Starship Enterprise" scene that did it in for me, but I had a different attitude toward that kind of thing at the time. I think I've gotten over it in the interim.

However, I am hoping to start the Rivers of London books soon, which I hope will be entertaining. My only experience of Aaronovitch as a writer is actually the Doctor Who scripts he wrote in the late 1980s, but I enjoyed those, so we'll see.

Anyway, I'm reading Neverwhere at the moment. I like it, but I haven't read any of Gaiman's other novels to compare (nor have I seen the BBC miniseries it's adapted from); I'm only familiar with him as a comics writer.

*On a tangentially related note, Harry Potter is actually on my "re-read start to finish" list as well, but I've been thinking of holding off on that for a couple of years, and do it on the 20th (!) anniversary (20 years) of The Philosopher's Stone (two decades).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Yeah but that wasn't instigated by Harry. it was Titania essentially going "Let's talk about homosexuals for a moment here. For no reason". Even if it was a really well written conversation(which it wasn't), it was out of place.

I can just about see the thought process that was behind the scene. Titania was trying to make a point about emotional reactions overriding logic, to explain why she was about thirty seconds away from going gently caress YOU HARRY DRESDEN DIE DIE DIE because of Harry's involvement in her daughter's death, even though he was making complete sense and it was in her best interests to help him, and even though Aurora had to be stopped for the sake of the world.

But yeah, the end result was pretty bad.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

However, I am hoping to start the Rivers of London books soon, which I hope will be entertaining. My only experience of Aaronovitch as a writer is actually the Doctor Who scripts he wrote in the late 1980s, but I enjoyed those, so we'll see.

Rivers of London is great in audiobook form as well, with Kobna Holdbrook-Smith as narrator.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Metal Loaf posted:

Hello, thread.

I've lately been thinking of re-reading the Dresden Files from Storm Front on.* It's been a couple of years since I touched the series; I have to admit it was partly the "inside Molly's head is the bridge of the Starship Enterprise" scene that did it in for me, but I had a different attitude toward that kind of thing at the time. I think I've gotten over it in the interim.

Anyway, I'm reading Neverwhere at the moment. I like it, but I haven't read any of Gaiman's other novels to compare (nor have I seen the BBC miniseries it's adapted from); I'm only familiar with him as a comics writer.

*On a tangentially related note, Harry Potter is actually on my "re-read start to finish" list as well, but I've been thinking of holding off on that for a couple of years, and do it on the 20th (!) anniversary (20 years) of The Philosopher's Stone (two decades).

You've basically listed my top three fantasy authors in reverse order here, so I think when you do the Aaronovitch books you'll love them (and every novel Gaiman writes is basically gold in this genre).

Seconding that you should go the Kobna Holdbrook-Smith audiobook route for the Rivers of London books. It's one of the very few instances where the narrator is so awesome that I'd rather listen to him read it than read the book myself.

For Gaiman, when you've finished Neverwhere, get American Gods and read it. Then get The Ocean at the End of the Lane and read that. All of his children's stories like The Graveyard Book are pretty fun, too. Stardust is an acquired taste. I loved it, but a lot of people found the ending in the book horrifying (not the actual ending itself, but thinking about what happens to one of the characters that otherwise got the "happy" ending).

Gaiman's stuff is mostly one-off books that are self-contained, so you don't need any real advice on which book to read first and can just pick one and have fun.

If you like a little bit more horror in your urban fantasy, check out London Falling and it's sequel The Severed Streets.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Iron Druid, on the other hand... Just stop when the lolcats appear. The books are schlock, but fun schlock, for a few books. The lolcats jokes are about where the series stops being fun and just gets annoying.

To be fair the most recent book is much better in this regard because you have three narrators, one of which who think Atticus is a giant whiny douche who brings his problems down on himself. Way less Oberon, too.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

OptimusWang posted:

To be fair the most recent book is much better in this regard because you have three narrators, one of which who think Atticus is a giant whiny douche who brings his problems down on himself. Way less Oberon, too.

I enjoyed all of the iron druid books but i also enjoyed the name of the wind and wise mans fear, I am the guy who they write these books for, I am so ashamed

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

OptimusWang posted:

That's the one where I and three other guys I share books with stopped reading this series.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Kea posted:

I enjoyed all of the iron druid books but i also enjoyed the name of the wind and wise mans fear, I am the guy who they write these books for, I am so ashamed

I also (mostly) enjoyed the Iron Druid books. I could have done without the lolcats-stuff and I probably won't re-read them anytime soon, but they were fine. Certainly not Sword of Truth-levels of terrible.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Apoffys posted:

I also (mostly) enjoyed the Iron Druid books. I could have done without the lolcats-stuff and I probably won't re-read them anytime soon, but they were fine. Certainly not Sword of Truth-levels of terrible.

Sword of truth is legitimately horrendous, my big sister got me the one with the evil chicken in for my birthday once, bad times (I didnt know about the series at the time so i went in blind) Then again same sister got me player of games and thats a great book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

For Gaiman, when you've finished Neverwhere, get American Gods and read it. Then get The Ocean at the End of the Lane and read that. All of his children's stories like The Graveyard Book are pretty fun, too. Stardust is an acquired taste. I loved it, but a lot of people found the ending in the book horrifying (not the actual ending itself, but thinking about what happens to one of the characters that otherwise got the "happy" ending).

I actually have American Gods on my bedside table at the top of a little pile; I was able to get American Gods, Neverwhere, and the first two Rivers of London books with a book voucher my grandmother gave me for Christmas.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Metal Loaf posted:

I actually have American Gods on my bedside table at the top of a little pile; I was able to get American Gods, Neverwhere, and the first two Rivers of London books with a book voucher my grandmother gave me for Christmas.

Which version did you get, I think there are something like three different editions floating around out there (the newer ones add some things that don't really change the overall story, but add some nice one-liners and context to the rest of the story).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The version I have was published in 2013, but its particular version of the text is copyrighted from 2004.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finished Foxglove Summer. This was a very good book! The metaplot didn't move forward much, but it was a very good look into how Peter has grown as both a magician and as a copper.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ConfusedUs posted:

Finished Foxglove Summer. This was a very good book! The metaplot didn't move forward much, but it was a very good look into how Peter has grown as both a magician and as a copper.

I like books that are self contained within a series. No sacrificing storytelling for story arc. I liked this one more than the last.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

torgeaux posted:

I like books that are self contained within a series. No sacrificing storytelling for story arc. I liked this one more than the last.

I agree with this.

I also agree with the person who, several pages back, said the book ended quite abruptly. I feel like it needed another chapter or two to address the fallout.

I really think that breaking his word to the Queen is going to come back to haunt him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

I agree with this.

I also agree with the person who, several pages back, said the book ended quite abruptly. I feel like it needed another chapter or two to address the fallout.

I really think that breaking his word to the Queen is going to come back to haunt him.

To be fair, Peter belongs to Beverly now, and like she said, Peter didn't have the ability to give his word like that any more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wade Wilson posted:

To be fair, Peter belongs to Beverly now, and like she said, Peter didn't have the ability to give his word like that any more.

Yeah, and like that isn't going to have repercussions!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ConfusedUs posted:

I agree with this.

Hmm, what other impetuous young(ish) wizard do we know who gets in trouble with Faerie Queens? :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wade Wilson posted:

I was gonna say something, but...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, and like that isn't going to have repercussions!

He said it in the exact words I was going to use.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Hmm, what other impetuous young(ish) wizard do we know who gets in trouble with Faerie Queens? :v:

Exactly. Although Peter isn't nearly as bad as Harry in any way for anything.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm most of the way through the book, and I just noticed that (non plot related)when he gets a ride in a car someone mentions how the only CD in the car is a Best of Queens CD, I'm wondering whether that is a callout to Good Omens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ika posted:

I'm most of the way through the book, and I just noticed that (non plot related)when he gets a ride in a car someone mentions how the only CD in the car is a Best of Queens CD, I'm wondering whether that is a callout to Good Omens.

Ha, I thought the same thing!

Because any music left in a car for more than two weeks turns into Best of Queen.