Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

JcDent posted:

I would be excited, but I know my PC won't be able to handle it.

This was me a few moments ago:

Finally! :iamafag:

then

Wait, my desktop died years back and my laptop won't handle that :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can imagine the sense of dread and grim darkness in the man's voice as he utters those words. He will wonder how the kid found out about those who shall not be named.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

excited for a future fantasy flight game about lizard ball adventures

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well they'll still be recognized in the fluff, which is more than we can say about the Squats.
The only redeemable thing GW could do in my eyes is release Scrunts as a faction, but even that won't save them since AFIK it's an SA-contained joke.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Daedleh posted:

He's talking sales, not profit. UK sales are up, Europe and America sales (not profit) are down. Redundancy payments have no effect on sales, only profit. He also calls out the redundancy payments in the Profit section, not sales.

I find it gobsmacking that a single store being closed is apparently enough to skew results.

The Online store sales were broadly in line with comparable period, despite more and more items being moved to direct only.

Funny how the magazine sales were down. If White Dwarf sales were so bad last year that it had to be rebooted, and they're still down (offset by larger declines), they must be doing absolutely abysmally now.

The last time I saw some figures, Warhammer world made about as much as all the stores from 5th to 10th company combined. The ability for them to sell Forgeworld and the captive audience they had on things like event weekends/throne of skulls meant they could make ludicrous money.

I can actually believe that them being effectively shut for 9 months has massively impacted UK sales figures.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Scrunts are just what happened when the emprah wasn't there to stop the squats screwing their cousins.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

Well they'll still be recognized in the fluff, which is more than we can say about the Squats.
The only redeemable thing GW could do in my eyes is release Scrunts as a faction, but even that won't save them since AFIK it's an SA-contained joke.

Nope sorry, they're done

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's some big announcement coming from Warhammer World in the first week of February...I'd imagine it's to announce the opening date. To give those of you that aren't aware and idea, the store itself was about 2-3x the size of a normal UK GW shop, but with dozens of tables in the main area, and staffed with at least 3-5 people at any given time. Even the temporary store is almost the same size as the usual shop. Their sales through there must be really high, and one of my group's players makes regular trips to WHW to get his stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

krushgroove posted:

There's some big announcement coming from Warhammer World in the first week of February...I'd imagine it's to announce the opening date. To give those of you that aren't aware and idea, the store itself was about 2-3x the size of a normal UK GW shop, but with dozens of tables in the main area, and staffed with at least 3-5 people at any given time. Even the temporary store is almost the same size as the usual shop. Their sales through there must be really high, and one of my group's players makes regular trips to WHW to get his stuff.

3-5 people? What kind of megalomaniac planed this ginormous thing? How can it not collapse under hubris alone?!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

Scrunts are no joke motherfucker...

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Don't know if this will be news to people, but it looks like Total War:Warhammer is going to be a thing.

http://kotaku.com/total-war-warhammer-accidentally-announced-1679351292

It was new to me at least.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Why would GW have Total War of all people do their balls touching skirmish game? It's not like Total War has a reputation for making games around entire civilizations duking it out with thousands of troops on a large, highly detailed map.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

3-5 people? What kind of megalomaniac planed this ginormous thing? How can it not collapse under hubris alone?!
:aaaaa:

NTRabbit posted:

Nope sorry, they're done
Faces are too normal :colbert:
I do like the Scruntnought and the tracked Scrunstroyers though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There were some mods that reskinned the characters for war hammer ones and that's honestly all I see this game being. It will hopefully be good unlike Rome 2 but the main series have always had ahistorical and fantasy units, especially in shogun. Squigs will just be reskinned flaming pigs and the sweet monk abilities will be flavored for war hammer. Wizards, like in DND, will be nothing more than single-man artillery batteries.

Not that it won't be cool, but the series was always war hammer like anyway.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Chill la Chill posted:

There were some mods that reskinned the characters for war hammer ones and that's honestly all I see this game being. It will hopefully be good unlike Rome 2 but the main series have always had ahistorical and fantasy units, especially in shogun. Squigs will just be reskinned flaming pigs and the sweet monk abilities will be flavored for war hammer. Wizards, like in DND, will be nothing more than single-man artillery batteries.

Not that it won't be cool, but the series was always war hammer like anyway.

I think everyone can agree there is a load of potential for an awesome game. But you are right, it is CA at the end of the day.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

I think everyone can agree there is a load of potential for an awesome game. But you are right, it is CA at the end of the day.

Supposedly RPS is a little excited over Attila, and if you can't trust RPS, who can you trust?

As for Chill la Chill, the russian WHFB mod for Medieval II is already just that, basically. What CA has over moders is the chance to put in an actual magic system in the game, hopefully with exploding mages and whatnot.

And better UI skins. Not matter what they do, modders always seem to stumble with UI skins.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Unless it's some Skyrim nudist mod or some poo poo, but that's a different story.

I'm not sure there's much innovation they can do with Total Warhammer, but I guess it's the first big video game release GW have had in a while. Dark Millennium Online getting axed was a bit of a downer, I was kinda looking forward to that.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

JcDent posted:

Supposedly RPS is a little excited over Attila, and if you can't trust RPS, who can you trust?

As for Chill la Chill, the russian WHFB mod for Medieval II is already just that, basically. What CA has over moders is the chance to put in an actual magic system in the game, hopefully with exploding mages and whatnot.

And better UI skins. Not matter what they do, modders always seem to stumble with UI skins.

I would love a remake of Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Here's their latest financial report.

http://www.iii.co.uk/research/LSE:GAW/news/item/1347707

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JcDent posted:

GW :iamafag:

Well, I showed this to some friend who's better at this than I am, and he was surprised at how little GW gets from royalties. I bet it would be a little different if GW licence games were something else than mobile trash and Panzer General reskins (that didn't get any promotion).

Not really, even back when they had major releases with healthy sales like the DoW series their royalty income wasn't very high. That's just how the finances of video games work - as with most things, it's the people who front the money who make the money. And GW is way too financially conservative to really fund games themselves, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you consider how expensive games are and how risky they are plus the fact that GW doesn't know poo poo about video games.

HiveCommander posted:

"Mr Redshirt, can I play my Space Marines against my friend's Elves?"
"You sure can, sonny Jim. If the reality balls touch"
"Wow! Can I play against Lizardmen, too?"
"...I'm sorry, nobody can touch Lizardman balls"

They're lizards, so the balls are internal

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

I... wow. I really wasn't expecting Total Warhammer to be a thing that is actually in development.

I've known about it for years from other sources. Which is going to make the potential upcoming setting change reeeeeal interesting, since the IP the Total War series has been working from was presumably the Old World.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What if the lizards have reality hemipenes? Does that affect their ability to contact other reality balls?

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013
The financial report shows sales down 6.6% and decline in profits of almost 17%. OUCH!

The CEO goes on to talk about how GW just needs to "stay focused on what needs to be done to grow efficiently" and "for Games Workshop to continue to be successful we need motivated, hard-working managers in all parts of the business who understand Games Workshop's niche business model, are aligned with its values and are committed to getting things done." (Important to note: No talk of customer outreach/attitude).

They've misidentified their biggest risk as a shortage of hard-working managers "to continue to grow the business globally." The best line: "This risk has been mitigated by recruiting people who fit with our culture..."

So, if we are to believe this report, this is how the conversation went down.
Kev: "Oh man, if only we had more stores around the world. Then we could sell more stuff to more people, who totally want to buy our stuff and have no competitors available!
Grunt: "But sir...we don't have enough managers to open up new stores..."
Kev: "Well, then hire new managers. There, risk averted. I'm going to put that in the earnings report."

Well, there's your problem.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Say what you will about the one-man stores, the GW store local to me is the best store for miles.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What I find strange is the whole " match our culture" , what does that even mean.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Our initiatives are designed to lead to growth, that's why we took a 15% hit across two categories in the first year or so of implementing them

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What I find strange is the whole " match our culture" , what does that even mean.

It is meaningless filler

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

"agree with how we are already doing things".

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"agree with how we are already doing things".

This, unfortunately. A company with declining profits despite having just cut costs should probably not be maintaining their "status quo."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

GW run by idiots who couldn't sell ice water in a desert, news at 11

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

I've posted about this subject before because unless you work in recruitment you won't normally have a clue what it means.

Basically, it means that when interviewing potential employees, they're not just looking for the ability to do the job, they're looking for the right personality type and attitudes to 'fit' the rest of the company. Iits about having a happy workforce. If you recruit someone who will fit in with everyone else in the office they'll make friends and be happy. People that 'fit' are far more likely to be loyal to the company they work for and stick with them long term. This is very important when you are potentially investing thousands of pounds in training these people in skills.

Its important to remember that 'match our culture' does not mean 'meaningless yes man to the company'. Nor does it mean 'agree with what we do or else'. This is a fallacy thrown around by people that don't understand how recruitment is done in large companies.

I would say every company I've ever worked for has recruited on fit and then skill. If you had a toss up between one guy who fit perfectly whos skill level was a little lower, and one guy who was an awful fit but the right skill, the company would go for the former. Skill can be taught, its very difficult for someone to change their personality.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not so much a "fallacy" as "the inevitable outcome of pursuing that strategy long-term even when in decline". That's been a common criticism of organizational culture recruitment strategies since the eighties.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

I would say every company I've ever worked for has recruited on fit and then skill. If you had a toss up between one guy who fit perfectly whos skill level was a little lower, and one guy who was an awful fit but the right skill, the company would go for the former. Skill can be taught, its very difficult for someone to change their personality.

As someone who has done job interviews at previous jobs, I would go along with this. Skill and experience is important, no question, but I've worked at places where someone got hired because the company was desperate to fill a vacancy or the person "interviewed well" or whatever, and the person that was hired turned out to be the completely wrong person for the spot because their personality just clashed with everyone else's, and nobody wanted to work with them after a while (which meant that they eventually quit or got fired).

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

GW run by idiots who couldn't sell ice water in a desert, news at 11

This is true, but they might have an even bigger problem on their hands. Nobody on their board understands the concept of "risk."

"Not having enough employees to open up new stores" is not a "risk," it's a problem that has to be solved before the company can grow. A "risk" is roughly defined as something bad that could happen. Something like: "opening new stores as sales continue to decline may not boost sales and provide the returns we've projected (HA, like they do projections), and may instead actually serve to reduce our liquid cash assets with no return and introduce additional long-term residuals which will reduce our dividends in the upcoming year and weaken investor confidence." You know, something bad that could happen. Then you talk about how you're planning for the worst-case scenario, and thanks to your planning the risk is either mitigated or eliminated.

I've read better-written earnings reports from non-business students at my local state university writing about their own fake companies as business writing practice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As someone who has done job interviews at previous jobs, I would go along with this. Skill and experience is important, no question, but I've worked at places where someone got hired because the company was desperate to fill a vacancy or the person "interviewed well" or whatever, and the person that was hired turned out to be the completely wrong person for the spot because their personality just clashed with everyone else's, and nobody wanted to work with them after a while (which meant that they eventually quit or got fired).

This is all fine and dandy when hiring people who'll have co-workers, but how does that apply to stores other than Warhammer World?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I've posted about this subject before because unless you work in recruitment you won't normally have a clue what it means.

Basically, it means that when interviewing potential employees, they're not just looking for the ability to do the job, they're looking for the right personality type and attitudes to 'fit' the rest of the company. Iits about having a happy workforce. If you recruit someone who will fit in with everyone else in the office they'll make friends and be happy. People that 'fit' are far more likely to be loyal to the company they work for and stick with them long term. This is very important when you are potentially investing thousands of pounds in training these people in skills.

Its important to remember that 'match our culture' does not mean 'meaningless yes man to the company'. Nor does it mean 'agree with what we do or else'. This is a fallacy thrown around by people that don't understand how recruitment is done in large companies.

On the other hand it's one of those buzzwords that can easily be used to cover for discrimination. I'm fairly sure that "We need to ask ourselves if his face fits" at an interview I was on the panel of was code for "He's black. And looks as if he'll get the job." (He got the job; no one responded to that hook at all - and person who'd suggested that left shortly after.)

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

[A bunch of things that are correct.]

You're right, but I don't think that fits in with the context of the earnings report. Weren't they going to hire people who fit in with their culture anyway? How does that fact help them with the "risk" they mentioned in the previous paragraph?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Well they're paying out a 36p per share dividend this time so maybe that will mollify shareholders enough to keep them from the mass dump they saw last year. Right now it just seems to be holding around 500.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It's filler because every company hires people they think will be a good fit. Saying you want to find people that will fit your culture is meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I am currently toying with the emotions of a friend who has like a 20 year Bretonnian collection. Can anyone confirm/deny whether or not the new End Times book eliminates the faction? Or have they been "destroyed" in the narrative but your minis are part of the one force that still exists, or whatever GW is doing before they release 9th Edition.

• Locked thread