Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

Maybe use it as a motivator. Like Cortez burning his ships after reaching the new world to encourage your men. Except instead of the fear of being butchered by natives you may end up having to wash dishes for 6 months to pay off your mini-bottle bar tab.

Anyone who touched that minibar clearly knew nothing of Mittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boot and Rally posted:

Anyone who touched that minibar clearly knew nothing of Mittens.

If they knew anything about Mitt they probably wouldn't even be there to begin with.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
They're college Republicans. They spent their whole lives training to take the invisible hand of the free market up the rear end upon failure.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DemeaninDemon posted:

They're college Republicans. They spent their whole lives training to take the invisible hand of the free market up the rear end upon failure.

Hey you just figured out another way to pay their bills!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DemeaninDemon posted:

Like anyone without family money or connections got to be at the Mittens (expected) victory party. They just got mommy and daddy to bail them out.

Wasn't that an issue with the GOP campaign apparatus anyway? Democratic volunteers were all hung ho for the cause but GOP volunteers were just there as a personal stepping stone for bigger and better things.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Reading TPM's story on House Republican hesitation toward Romney 2016, and in particular, Joe "You Lie!" Wilson's statement that his "'personal favorite' for 2016 was Sen. Lindsey Graham, a fellow South Carolinian" leads me to ask: is Graham actually gonna run? I know he's mentioned it a couple times, but I always thought he was joking. What would his base be? Seems like he'd be seen as too moderate for even his home state of SC (Joe Wilson excepted), and wouldn't have any broader appeal as a moderate (especially with Bush and Romney in the mix). So he can't seriously be thinking about it, can he?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Franco Potente posted:

Reading TPM's story on House Republican hesitation toward Romney 2016, and in particular, Joe "You Lie!" Wilson's statement that his "'personal favorite' for 2016 was Sen. Lindsey Graham, a fellow South Carolinian" leads me to ask: is Graham actually gonna run? I know he's mentioned it a couple times, but I always thought he was joking. What would his base be? Seems like he'd be seen as too moderate for even his home state of SC (Joe Wilson excepted), and wouldn't have any broader appeal as a moderate (especially with Bush and Romney in the mix). So he can't seriously be thinking about it, can he?

God I hope not. No one from South Carolina needs to be in a position of power. We're all awful, broken people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente posted:

is Graham actually gonna run? I know he's mentioned it a couple times, but I always thought he was joking. What would his base be?

He probably will run, but I doubt he'll set up much of an organization. His goal (and McCain's in encouraging him) is basically to ensure that there's someone around to tell Rand Paul to shut up about foreign policy.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

Like anyone without family money or connections got to be at the Mittens (expected) victory party. They just got mommy and daddy to bail them out.

Wasn't that an issue with the GOP campaign apparatus anyway? Democratic volunteers were all hung ho for the cause but GOP volunteers were just there as a personal stepping stone for bigger and better things.

Hey now all were welcome to the Romney Death Rally.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGyPOonUkKI

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

He probably will run, but I doubt he'll set up much of an organization. His goal (and McCain's in encouraging him) is basically to ensure that there's someone around to tell Rand Paul to shut up about foreign policy.

Also, can he stand up to that level of scrutiny?

Kids, don't base your state revenue model on sales taxes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franco Potente posted:

is Graham actually gonna run? I know he's mentioned it a couple times, but I always thought he was joking.
I'd say America isn't ready to elect a gay president, but we've currently got either an African-American one or a communist marxist kenyan superallah one (depending on your flavor of pack animal), soooooo v:shobon:v

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Also, can he stand up to that level of scrutiny?

Kids, don't base your state revenue model on sales taxes.

Looks fair to me. :smugdog:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there any actual strong evidence that Graham is gay besides the fact that he is a lifelong bachelor and talks like Kevin Spacey in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

DemeaninDemon posted:

Putin would back the gently caress away since all of Romney's diplomats would be missionaries carrying the Book of Mormon.

Edit: I'm sure there's an endless supply of college Republicans gnawing at each other for a chance at campaigning and some connections.

EDIT (more realistic)
Romney: "Jesus and I love you, Putin."
Putin:

vv I watched it a while ago but recently watched it again with my wife to introduce her to Mormonism. Next up will be trying to watch The Book of Mormon.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 14, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Romney: "Jesus and I love you, Puty-kins."
Putin: "... JesusandIloveyoutoobye."

Someone just watched Orgasmo (and everyone should since it's the best movie those two ever did)

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

Someone just watched Orgasmo (and everyone should since it's the best movie those two ever did)

Orgasmo is a good movie yeah everyone go watch it before House of Cards comes out.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So the house GOP just voted to repeal Obama's amnesty executive order. Two Democrats voted Aye: Colin Peterson from Minnesota and Ashford or whoever the new guy from Omaha is.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So the house GOP just voted to repeal Obama's amnesty executive order. Two Democrats voted Aye: Colin Peterson from Minnesota and Ashford or whoever the new guy from Omaha is.

Peterson? What the poo poo?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

quote:

Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border.

Voted YES on preventing tipping off Mexicans about Minuteman Project.

Voted NO on reporting illegal aliens who receive hospital treatment.

Voted YES on extending Immigrant Residency rules.

Voted NO on more immigrant visas for skilled workers.

Rated 0% by FAIR, indicating a voting record loosening immigration.

Rated 83% by USBC, indicating a sealed-border stance.

Declare English as the official language of the US.

Seems par for the course for him.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I want Romney to run on the same platform he did in 2012.

"Yeah things are okay now, but if I were President, they'd be BETTER. What specifically would I change? Well I guess you'll have to elect me to find out."

Then Hillary just skates into office.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
NYMag is taking the position that political dynasties are good for women.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Warszawa posted:

Ashford was probably pandering to the racist fucks in this district, there was recently a big bust of a meth ring linked to Mexico so clearly all central american immigrants are trafficking meth now.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

FAUXTON posted:

Ashford was probably pandering to the racist fucks in this district, there was recently a big bust of a meth ring linked to Mexico so clearly all central american immigrants are trafficking meth now.

It's more the 24-year congressman from Minnesota that I'm baffled by.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

He loving hates snowbacks (Canadians).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Is there any actual strong evidence that Graham is gay besides the fact that he is a lifelong bachelor and talks like Kevin Spacey in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

No there is not.

All the people speculating seem to forget that the guy could just be asexual.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It happened already in 2012 and the lead-up to Romney getting the nomination. :ssh:

That's even weirder because he hadn't even lost a (Presidential) general at that point

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Nativity In Black posted:

I want Romney to run on the same platform he did in 2012.

"Yeah things are okay now, but if I were President, they'd be BETTER. What specifically would I change? Well I guess you'll have to elect me to find out."

Then Hillary just skates into office.

I think when he started using that line of "just trust me" was when he thought he had the race in the bag, around when Gallup had him up +5 or more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

No there is not.

Why? Is he a big anime fan?

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Great. All this cheap oil is hurting the economy!

quote:

Federal Reserve officials are reporting concerns over the impact falling oil prices will have on an improving economy, according to the central bank's latest "Beige Book" report.

The economic review, which the Fed releases eight times a year, reflected hopes for better growth but noted several problem areas.

Oil prices were seen as a boon to consumers but a problem for energy companies, with the Dallas Fed reporting that Texas energy firms were projecting hiring freezes and layoffs to accompany a 15 percent to 40 percent decline in demand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OBAMA'S CHEAP GAS HURTING THE ECONOMY?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Minnesota has some of the most segregated districts in the US, and some of the most virulently hateful politics as well.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Peterson's district was one of the few Democratic-represented-but-voted-for-Romney-in-2012 ones, I think.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Shageletic posted:

Minnesota has some of the most segregated districts in the US, and some of the most virulently hateful politics as well.

Interesting, do you have any reading on the subject?

I assumed it would mostly be politics against the Hmong and Somali communities in the Twin Cities, but the MN-7th is the western chunk of the state. I actually didn't realize it was R+6 though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shifty Pony posted:

No there is not.

When a new Lindsay Graham splits off from its parent the new Lindsay Graham holds a BBQ for its constituents. There can be only one.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

Interesting, do you have any reading on the subject?

I assumed it would mostly be politics against the Hmong and Somali communities in the Twin Cities, but the MN-7th is the western chunk of the state. I actually didn't realize it was R+6 though.

If I recall correctly the district in Western Hennepin actually voted for Obama (albeit barely) as well. Bachmann's is unsurprisingly the most blood red in the state (at like 56% GOP, which is still a pretty stark cry from suburban Milwaukee)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Beige Book is literally a book of anecdotes. They just interview people and ask them what they think

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Gravel Gravy posted:

When a new Lindsay Graham splits off from its parent the new Lindsay Graham holds a BBQ for its constituents. There can be only one.

And the BBQ is the old Lindsay Graham.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the House, along with 29 Dems, voted to further gut Dodd Frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand found reporters in New Hampshire who write for his target demographic.

• Locked thread