Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

You're crazy and your frothing rage was uncalled for. I mean it's not like the entire UI looks to have been designed by a colorblind mentally disabled child or anything. Now excuse me while I go back to my blue and yellow messaging app.

Samsung really could have stolen some design tips while they were wholesale copying Apple...

This Moto X is real nice, I see why you guys are so big on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

You're crazy and your frothing rage was uncalled for. I mean it's not like the entire UI looks to have been designed by a colorblind mentally disabled child or anything. Now excuse me while I go back to my blue and yellow messaging app.

The messaging app can be whatever color you want it to be.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Desk Lamp posted:

But your font must be Comic Sans

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

User choice is the crutch of the artless.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
To everyone trashing touchwiz, it was scaled back in the Note 4. The menus cleaned up a bit, and not that abrasive. I hate 99% of Samsungs software choices but they do add useful stuff. Multi-window, split youtube and your browser, is amazing. Reddit and youtube, great for browsing /r/video. Also splitting Whatsapp and the browswer is good for talking with friends while also reading articles. Selfie mode, by just swiping the heart rate sensor to take a photo is convenient. So is being able to say 'shoot' or 'smile' and the phone will take a pic when the camera is open. Taking a screenshot by swiping your hand across the screen is way better than holding down 2 buttons. You combine that with by far the best camera on Android its hard to recommended another phone. I've switched from nexus, samsung, and htc phones. I really despised a lot of the layout in S4 but the Note 4 is my favorite phone so far.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

5436 posted:

To everyone trashing touchwiz, it was scaled back in the Note 4. The menus cleaned up a bit, and not that abrasive. I hate 99% of Samsungs software choices but they do add useful stuff. Multi-window, split youtube and your browser, is amazing. Reddit and youtube, great for browsing /r/video. Also splitting Whatsapp and the browswer is good for talking with friends while also reading articles. Selfie mode, by just swiping the heart rate sensor to take a photo is convenient. So is being able to say 'shoot' or 'smile' and the phone will take a pic when the camera is open. Taking a screenshot by swiping your hand across the screen is way better than holding down 2 buttons. You combine that with by far the best camera on Android its hard to recommended another phone. I've switched from nexus, samsung, and htc phones. I really despised a lot of the layout in S4 but the Note 4 is my favorite phone so far.

You think the spergs in this thread have even seen Touchwiz since 2010? They just like to pretend they're masters of UI design on the Internet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

I'm holding my Galaxy S5 (in a Trident case) in my right hand, and notice that I literally can't reach the multi window (left side) and how very easy it is to press the right button. After testing that, I smile to myself, knowing that, no, I'm not crazy, and this thread's hate for Samsung is crazy and uncalled for. Carry on your frothing rage, though.

lol good call, my rage is definitely frothing

Did you quote the wrong post??

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

You think the spergs in this thread have even seen Touchwiz since 2010? They just like to pretend they're masters of UI design on the Internet.

I used an S4 and a Note 3 in 2013-early 2014. The UI is, in fact, bad. If they're scaling things back that's good, but they need to scale it almost entirely away. Add new features that actually work right, leave the other stuff on the cutting room floor.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Desk Lamp posted:

I had a Note 3 and beyond occasionally using the s pen for scrolling I didn't use anything unique to it. I chose superior software this gen (Nexus 6).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Holy poo poo shut up about Touchwiz. Some people don't mind using it, others do. Case closed.

Has anyone used any of the Meizu or Huawei phones? I've seen their names and a few others pop up most frequently in my glances over various blog sites, the MX4 looks pretty darn good but I'm curious how their support is.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

"Look, I'm gonna be frank here, if you don't think anything Samsung related is indescribably horribad, then you are a mouth-breathing retard" - Android thread, all day every day

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lblitzer posted:

Holy poo poo shut up about Touchwiz. Some people don't mind using it, others do. Case closed.

Has anyone used any of the Meizu or Huawei phones? I've seen their names and a few others pop up most frequently in my glances over various blog sites, the MX4 looks pretty darn good but I'm curious how their support is.

...are you shopping for a new phone already?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kensei posted:

...are you shopping for a new phone already?

No way, the Maxx you sold me is basically what I've been wanting without knowing. But I do like to keep my eye on new gadgets much like Thermopyle and hotsauce and occasionally I'll try out ridiculous ones, like the Doogee.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lblitzer posted:

No way, the Maxx you sold me is basically what I've been wanting without knowing. But I do like to keep my eye on new gadgets much like Thermopyle and hotsauce and occasionally I'll try out ridiculous ones, like the Doogee.

Okay cool. When you are ready for the next step, the Turbo that I replaced that MAXX with is an even better phone - believe it or not!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5436 posted:

So is being able to say 'shoot' or 'smile' and the phone will take a pic when the camera is open.
An odd choice given that "smile" is what you say before the photo is ready to be captured to prepare people for it. There isn't a single worse choice of command to take a photo except maybe "cheese".

My frothing rage leads me to point out this is exactly a case of a half thought-out UI choice where there's a good idea done in a bad way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does it do smile detection though? I mean that's a thing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Does it do smile detection though? I mean that's a thing
Thank god American Gothic is a painting and not a picture or we'd still be waiting.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

LastInLine posted:

An odd choice given that "smile" is what you say before the photo is ready to be captured to prepare people for it. There isn't a single worse choice of command to take a photo except maybe "cheese".

My frothing rage leads me to point out this is exactly a case of a half thought-out UI choice where there's a good idea done in a bad way.

You say the word, it waits a second, then takes the picture. Its good for placing the phone somewhere and taking a pic, I do this with my niece sometimes cause she always wants to gently caress with the phone if I'm using it. Also just easier than hitting the shutter button.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So the M8 is getting Lollipop today (At least developer and unlocked versions are)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/13/unlocked-developer-edition-htc-one-m8-devices-getting-lollipop-today/

Anyone seen anything about what version they exactly are using? Probably nor 5.0 right? Even the M8 GPE is on 5.0.1 already.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5436 posted:

You say the word, it waits a second, then takes the picture. Its good for placing the phone somewhere and taking a pic, I do this with my niece sometimes cause she always wants to gently caress with the phone if I'm using it. Also just easier than hitting the shutter button.
I'm not disputing the utility of a spoken command for the shutter, I'm questioning the reasoning behind choosing that one.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

One of the cool new features on my Nexus 6 is when it doesn't load a chrome page until I back out and try again. Happens 50% of the time. Kind of neat!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

One of the cool new features on my Nexus 6 is when it doesn't load a chrome page until I back out and try again. Happens 50% of the time. Kind of neat!

Happens frequently on my N9 as well.

Yay lollipop.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Yay lollipop.
Works fine on my 5 and 7.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I'm not disputing the utility of a spoken command for the shutter, I'm questioning the reasoning behind choosing that one.

"Smile!"
Everyone smiles
Camera takes pic

C'mon it's not that hard to understand!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That went away for me in Lollipop versus KitKat. By the way you don't have to back out, open a new tab and close it. It will only occur when on the first tab in Chrome so alternatively you can just leave a tab open and it will never happen.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Android Thread - ...are you shopping for a new phone already?

Ahahahahahaha

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

LastInLine posted:

That went away for me in Lollipop versus KitKat. By the way you don't have to back out, open a new tab and close it. It will only occur when on the first tab in Chrome so alternatively you can just leave a tab open and it will never happen.

Literally happens all the time on my turbo, but only when I launch something from google now, ie I voice search something or search from the home screen search bar. Absolutely 100% of the time refuses to load until I close chrome and reopen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

"Smile!"
Everyone smiles
Camera takes pic

C'mon it's not that hard to understand!

"Smile!"
Camera takes picture of horrific car accident

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bob A Feet posted:

Literally happens all the time on my turbo, but only when I launch something from google now, ie I voice search something or search from the home screen search bar. Absolutely 100% of the time refuses to load until I close chrome and reopen.

This has happened to me on both my old Note 2 and One M8, both running completely (manufacturer) stock Android. I think it's just a Chrome/Google thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Did you try opening and closing a tab (I can't remember if that second tab actually loads the view or not)? I lived with it for a long while, I'm certain I have the steps right to make it work.

What's weird is that it obviously loads the page. The bar goes across but the webview remains blank. Opening and closing a tab always caused the loaded tab to display immediately without a reload. I'd always keep a tab open to Google just to prevent it and it always did until I accidentally swiped it away.

I have no idea why it went away for me in Lollipop but I haven't seen it since. :shrug:

Edit: One thing I just thought of: In Lollipop I disabled the "show tabs in app switcher" option. Try that if you haven't. Given that it started about the time they were making background changes to Chrome to accommodate that and that it obviously affects the tab switching which would fix the problem I could see that fixing it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 14, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

SwissCM posted:

"Smile!"
Camera takes picture of horrific car accident

At least it's not Google Glass

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cool. My Nexus 5 bricked itself because the power button is hosed up. Its now stuck in a reboot loop!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Phone posted:

Cool. My Nexus 5 bricked itself because the power button is hosed up. Its now stuck in a reboot loop!

Are you sure it's a boot loop and not just the power button stuck down? The Nexus 5 (and probably other phones that don't have a removable battery) will reboot if you hold down the power button long enough. If your power button is messed up that may be what's happening.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Is the Moto G physically incapable of supporting three-button headphone remotes?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

The Dark One posted:

Is the Moto G physically incapable of supporting three-button headphone remotes?

Might be a Moto thing in general. I just got a the button remote headset for my Moto X and so far my research is that the remote will not work. Single button headsets work fine.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Are there any 2014 Moto X bumper cases available besides the hula cases on Motorola's site? They were out of stock when I went to buy mine with the $140 coupon, I figured whatever I'll get one later, and now I've just looked at like 2000 cases on Amazon/ebay and don't see poo poo. I don't want a stupid case that covers the back of the phone when I have a loving awesome leather phone :mad:

Also consider this another vote for the new X because it's really a loving phenomenal phone, aside from the lovely battery life. The really stupid thing is that with the curved back, if you hold the phone then look at it end-on you'll see your palm is nowhere near touching the drat thing. They could have made it twice as thick in the middle and filled all that space with battery and if anything it would fit better in people's hands and that would have also made it the best phone ever. :sigh:

LastInLine posted:

Have you never said the word "cheese"? People use it because it forces you to smile even as you're saying it... not that it will look good if you don't catch on and make it more natural, but you know, it's actually a really good word.

Straker fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 15, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Android Thread - ...are you shopping for a new phone already?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

pairofdimes posted:

Are you sure it's a boot loop and not just the power button stuck down? The Nexus 5 (and probably other phones that don't have a removable battery) will reboot if you hold down the power button long enough. If your power button is messed up that may be what's happening.

It's stuck in a boot loop because the power button is stuck down. Got another refurb on the way. :toot:

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
All your tears fuel my Nexus 6. Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Straker posted:

Have you never said the word "cheese"? People use it because it forces you to smile even as you're saying it... not that it will look good if you don't catch on and make it more natural, but you know, it's actually a really good word.

It works just the way you'd expect it to, it just doesn't fit his narrative. This is the same poster who "proved" Samsung's customer satisfaction was poo poo by linking a study that said it was second only to Apple's, that should tell you all you need to know.