Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/13/social-slot-machine/

Not since Color has a startup been as widely laughed at as the troubled Stanford payments startup Clinkle. So it’s little surprise that the company has changed the name of its app to “Treats”, as well as its direction. After seeing the company’s site had rebranded, I spoke with 23-year old CEO Lucas Duplan to find out how Treats will work.

The private beta product now centers on you paying for things with a Treats debit card to earn “Treats” — essentially lottery tickets you send to friends that pay for the entirety of their next purchase if they “win”.

How Treats Works

Vague descriptions of Clinkle have proliferated, but Duplan gave me the specifics on how his new app Treats will actually function:

• You sign up for Treats, order its debit card, and add money to it.
  • You swipe your Treats card to make purchases like normal, with no extra fee, though there are charges for ATM use, etc.
  • After every seventh purchase you earn a Treat.
  • You take a photo to create a virtual gift card, and send the Treat to a friend. You can’t redeem it yourself.
  • Your friend is notified they have a Treat waiting to be unlocked.
  • Other friends can see the locked Treat and its photo, and can “Boost” aka Like the Treat to increase the chance it will be a winner.
  • The friend who received the Treat swipes their Treats card to make a purchase, unlocking the Treat.
  • If the Treat is a winner, they immediately get refunded the entire price of the purchase they just made.
  • Whether or not they win, they then see the photo gift card you sent them.

Yes, that’s a pretty complicated sequence with plenty of points of failure. Before you get any real value out of Treats, a friend has to make seven purchases, choose you to get the Treat, you have to buy something with Treats, and you have to get lucky and win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is that the startup that advertised with vending machines that spit out free cash? or is it the startup that was founded by a 17 year old

or is it both

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Yep it's both http://valleywag.gawker.com/search?q=Clinkle

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
worse than a standard loyalty program in literally every way possible

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
we went back to the 1990s and decided that the reason flooz and beenz didnt succeed was that they werent difficult enough to use

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hhahahahahahaha beenz i forgot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Amongst the company's partnerships was one with MasterCard enabling holders of the 'rewardz card' to transfer earned beenz to their credit card account.

The company used an innovative guerilla marketing campaign to get the word out in the early days. Instead of distributing a flyer in the conventional way, the company hired magicians and sleight-of-hand experts to slip the flyers surreptitiously into the pockets of members of the public.

jfc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Use by crime syndicate

In 2001, Flooz.com was notified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that a Russian organized crime syndicate was using Flooz and stolen credit card numbers as part of a money-laundering scheme, in which stolen credit cards were used to purchase currency and then redeemed. Levitan has stated that fraudulent purchases accounted for 19% of consumer credit card transactions by mid-2001.

The company announced its closure on August 26, 2001, perceived as an early indicator of the growing dot-com bubble bust. Upon the company's closing, all unused flooz credits became worthless and nonrefundable. Over its short history, flooz.com reportedly exhausted from $35 to $50 million in venture capital.

good gravy vc investors in the 90s were idiots

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

good gravy vc investors in the 90s were idiots

at least then they had the excuse that the internet was new, not sure why things are supposed to be different 15 years later

anderssen probably still thinks he's where he is because he's smart and not because he won the lottery

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
jerkcity becomes more and more like a documentary with the passage of time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

at least then they had the excuse that the internet was new, not sure why things are supposed to be different 15 years later

anderssen probably still thinks he's where he is because he's smart and not because he won the lottery

like, on paper pets.com wasn't an awful idea because animal people spend stupid amounts of money on animal poo poo, and amazon.com was working so why not be amazon for animals, sure let's invest three hundred million dollars in an idea and hope it works without first checking to see if they are spending less than they're bringing in, or that they have a coherent business plan, or that the linchpin of that plan is not "out-bezos bezos in his own arena" without supply lines that can even beat retail

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
let me tell you about a little something called the "first mover advantage"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

like, on paper pets.com wasn't an awful idea because animal people spend stupid amounts of money on animal poo poo, and amazon.com was working so why not be amazon for animals, sure let's invest three hundred million dollars in an idea and hope it works without first checking to see if they are spending less than they're bringing in, or that they have a coherent business plan, or that the linchpin of that plan is not "out-bezos bezos in his own arena" without supply lines that can even beat retail

they had a sock puppet

didn't beenz or flooz give some goon money to hunt pigs in hawaii

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Not since Color has a startup been as widely laughed at as the troubled Stanford payments startup Clinkle. So it’s little surprise that the company has changed the name of its app to “Treats”, as well as its direction. After seeing the company’s site had rebranded, I spoke with 23-year old CEO Lucas Duplan to find out how Treats will work.

The private beta product now centers on you paying for things with a Treats debit card to earn “Treats” — essentially lottery tickets you send to friends that pay for the entirety of their next purchase if they “win”.

How Treats Works

Vague descriptions of Clinkle have proliferated, but Duplan gave me the specifics on how his new app Treats will actually function:

• You swipe your Treats card to make purchases like normal, with no extra fee, though there are charges for ATM use, etc.
  • You take a photo to create a virtual gift card, and send the Treat to a friend. You can’t redeem it yourself.
  • Other friends can see the locked Treat and its photo, and can “Boost” aka Like the Treat to increase the chance it will be a winner.
  • The friend who received the Treat swipes their Treats card to make a purchase, unlocking the Treat.
  • If the Treat is a winner, they immediately get refunded the entire price of the purchase they just made.

Yes, that’s a pretty complicated sequence with plenty of points of failure. Before you get any real value out of Treats, a friend has to make seven purchases, choose you to get the Treat, you have to buy something with Treats, and you have to get lucky and win.

it's complicated for consumers because their actual customers are businesses. consumers won't pay money for a loyalty program, but businesses might. except most won't, because it turns out that businesses also are skeptical about paying someone else to run a loyalty program they could easily do themselves. so it's essentially impossible to run a common loyalty program service like that, which is why no big successful nationwide ones really exist. doesn't stop startup after startup from trying, though, convinced that all they need to do is print up some cards and set up a database and then they'll disrupt the poo poo out of the market

these guys seem to be going all-in on packing value-adds to attract businesses with their system, and then using wacky marketing gimmicks to try to make up for the fact that consumers hate those same value-adds

they're gonna fail

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

How Treats Works

etrademonkey.gif

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
fuuuuck the etrade monkey ad is like 15 years old

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Webvan blew through $1.2 billion dollars of VC money

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Webvan IPOd at a $4.8 billion dollar valuation.

At the time of their IPO they had a cumulative revenue of $400k and losses of $50 million.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

it's complicated for consumers because their actual customers are businesses. consumers won't pay money for a loyalty program, but businesses might. except most won't, because it turns out that businesses also are skeptical about paying someone else to run a loyalty program they could easily do themselves. so it's essentially impossible to run a common loyalty program service like that, which is why no big successful nationwide ones really exist. doesn't stop startup after startup from trying, though, convinced that all they need to do is print up some cards and set up a database and then they'll disrupt the poo poo out of the market

these guys seem to be going all-in on packing value-adds to attract businesses with their system, and then using wacky marketing gimmicks to try to make up for the fact that consumers hate those same value-adds

they're gonna fail

Not to mention that grocery stores did this in the 50s and 60s only to be outdone by competitors who eliminated their loyalty programs and lowered their prices as a result.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Webvan blew through $1.2 billion dollars of VC money

I'm fine with this, because every dollar "lost" by a startup is merely returned to the middle class via artisanal burger chefs and ball pit installers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FCKGW posted:

At the time of their IPO they had a cumulative revenue of $400k and losses of $50 million.
when I worked at evite we used them for our office food/snacks so they were probably responsible for at least 10 grand of that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

no, you think?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was that article a while back that almost crossed into self-awareness where a guy went "the people who we think are the smartest committed $100 million to google glass" but for some reason his conclusion was that nobody knows what they're doing and we're all idiots and not that vcs have no quality filter and they're just there to tell nice stories to their investors

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

there was that article a while back that almost crossed into self-awareness where a guy went "the people who we think are the smartest committed $100 million to google glass" but for some reason his conclusion was that nobody knows what they're doing and we're all idiots and not that vcs have no quality filter and they're just there to tell nice stories to their investors

speaking of "no quality filter", soylent just got $20 million from vcs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how the gently caress will they pitch soylent to neurotypicals? even as a weightloss thing "here's a bland paste you now eat for the rest of your life" isn't that appealing to anyone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Main Paineframe posted:

speaking of "no quality filter", soylent just got $20 million from vcs

holy loving poo poo.

i'm going to whitelabel some vanilla slimfast and pitch it as the next 'trepaneur body hacking powermeal that's disrupting the 3 squares a day market

i can even include some fda approved studies showing it to be 5x more effective at not killing you with stupid nutritional imbalances than soylent

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

timewarner bought aol for $225 billion (in 2015 dollars)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/14/soylent-20m/

quote:

Soylent Slurps $20M From A16Z, Lerer, Index To Drink Big Food’s Milkshake

Everyone’s favorite food-disrupting nutritional slurry, Soylent, has just closed a $20 million funding round, led by existing investor Andreessen Horowitz. Another prior investor in its 2013 $1.5 million seed round, Lerer Ventures, also participated in the new financing, along with Index Ventures.

Announcing the raise on his blog, a16z partner Chris Dixton noted Soylent is already profitable — taking in “millions” of dollars per month in subscription revenues — and is not apparently in need of additional capital, but wants to take money to invest in “long-term R&D”.

What specifically is coming down Soylent’s pipe? Improved taste and a cheaper overall price-point. :allears: The mission: to disrupt Big Food with a subscription ecommerce liquid alternative to junk food. :allears:

“In addition to improving the current product and introducing new products, the focus will be on dramatically reducing the price of Soylent, from the current $3 per meal to a fraction of that. We are very excited to continue working with [founder] Rob [Rhinehart] and his team on this important project,” said Dixon.

Soylent’s ambitions for growing its business are aimed at eating into Big Food’s junk food business — or at least nibbling its edges, given that junky McBurgers can cost as little as a buck. Pushing its cost per meal to well below $3 would help to position the drink to compete on price with junk food (if not on fingerlickin’ grease), as well as — presumably — allowing its makers to boast about better health credentials.

The drink is comprised of a secret recipe of herbs and spices an assortment of carbohydrates, amino acids, proteins and dozens of other vitamins – and its makers claim it can replace meals, fulfilling all a person’s nutritional needs. (Although Dixon says Soylent is “mostly” replacing unhealthy meals at present, rather than acting as a complete meal replacement.)

Aside from attacking the Big Food industry, Dixon flags up the community of food and nutrition enthusiasts precipitating around Soylent as another core part of the value a16z sees in the company — noting that it sells both core produce and also specific ingredients to those who want to blend up their own DIY nutrition cocktails.

Developing more products to sell to a community of health-focused individuals willing to spend money on their personal well-being is presumably part of the grand Soylent growth plan.

“If you look at Soylent as just a food company, you misjudge the core of the company, the same way you would if you looked at GoPro as just a camera company,” Dixon adds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're going to have to stop calling it soylent at some point though yeah?

Like they remember where they got the name, right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

how the gently caress will they pitch soylent to neurotypicals? even as a weightloss thing "here's a bland paste you now eat for the rest of your life" isn't that appealing to anyone

the same way they convinced neurotypicals to deny their children an essential aspect of first-world health care so we could once again enjoy serious diseases that doctors should only see in textbooks: celebrity endorsement

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

theflyingexecutive posted:

probably on the same "you're a high power young business professional who doesn't have time for food" that they do now

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

weve established this great food company, have a problem with how our food tastes tho

imagine an a16z for restaurants, just block after block of empty loving dining establishments wondering why their revolutionary new poo poo dispensers arent filling the seats at $80 a plate

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

carry on then posted:

probably on the same "you're a high power young business professional who doesn't have time for food" that they do now

gently caress, even those things have chocolate chips in them

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

flakeloaf posted:

the same way they convinced neurotypicals to deny their children an essential aspect of first-world health care so we could once again enjoy serious diseases that doctors should only see in textbooks: celebrity endorsement

speaking of have the original vaxxers recanted or have they stuck to their guns? you'd think the resurgence of long-defeated diseases would be enough to convince anyone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

noep still loony

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

speaking of have the original vaxxers recanted or have they stuck to their guns? you'd think the resurgence of long-defeated diseases would be enough to convince anyone

they cannot let go of the "mercury!!!!!" thing but they've eased up on the autism

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

don't forget "it's too many antibodies"

he can sit in the catbox and stuff itchy eddy's legos up his rear end but one specific memo to your b-cells is strictly off limits

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FCKGW posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
there's a poster in here that bought soylent off kickstarter then fed it to their toddler. lmao

• Locked thread