Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The whole point is that, in the subforum Debate and Discussion, when you're posed a question, hopefully you have a response other than "um... well, uh... I don't think this is the place to go into it..."

I think we can all agree that the US shouldn't just drop a million bombs on Africa and call it a day, but the question is what do you want instead?
The answer was a pretty succinct "we dunno."

A solution would have to involve a lot of fundamental changes to what we do, and it would be a long difficult process. If you want a quick easy answer, then probably a global conversation with other countries about how Africa as a whole has many issues because of centuries of exploitation. Giving these nations aid, assisting with development, and trying to get rid of the leadership that are just corrupt, self-interested tyrants. Some kind of actual plan.

Oh wait, that isn't quick nor easy. It's almost like this is a complex problem with no single, simple answer. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

Yes, a blurry photo of a page with Derf among others was posted upthread. Hopefully Kurtofan or somebody else can get their hands one one and post it here.

The more I see this one, the more i like it. It's such a good metaphor.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

Ted Rall ‏@TedRall

Working on a cartoon about #Charlie Hebdo so outrageous #CharlieHebdo might have published it.

:allears: I can't wait!!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yes, noted government website "twitter".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's an easy mistake to make if you just glance at the headlines and don't think about it for more than about two seconds before starting your cartoon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

colonel_korn posted:

:allears: I can't wait!!

Watch Rall misinterpret them completely. I bet he's just going to draw a cartoon to be offensive for offensiveness sake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"No, but I understand your confusion because Ralph Ellison's book has the same title."

CATHOLIC LEAGUE

Is this a return to the "Popists :argh:" of yore?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

A solution would have to involve a lot of fundamental changes to what we do, and it would be a long difficult process. If you want a quick easy answer, then probably a global conversation with other countries about how Africa as a whole has many issues because of centuries of exploitation. Giving these nations aid, assisting with development, and trying to get rid of the leadership that are just corrupt, self-interested tyrants. Some kind of actual plan.

Oh wait, that isn't quick nor easy. It's almost like this is a complex problem with no single, simple answer. :v:

Basically this. And nobody is demanding that we come up for an answer for police reform or election reform or the dozens of other topics that get brought up continuously in this thread, it's only when it comes to Nigeria and the political cartoon remarking about how nobody even noticed that the snarky "Well, what are we supposed to do about it?" one-liners start hitting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kurtofan posted:

CATHOLIC LEAGUE

Is this a return to the "Popists :argh:" of yore?

Nah, Donahue and the Catholic League are immense assholes who need to just schism with SSPX already.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't mind discussing stuff, but "How do we fix the situation in Nigeria?" is a difficult topic that really demands its own thread (and there is a thread about the massacre)

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

If you don't have any better ideas, then yeah, don't talk poo poo. Even R Mute's "just burn the fucker down" post was at least an answer.

lmao

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

Basically this. And nobody is demanding that we come up for an answer for police reform or election reform or the dozens of other topics that get brought up continuously in this thread, it's only when it comes to Nigeria and the political cartoon remarking about how nobody even noticed that the snarky "Well, what are we supposed to do about it?" one-liners start hitting.

I wasn't being snarky, though. I'm loving aware that it's a complex issue that doesn't have a simple answer. Other people were posting about how "oh well maybe America shouldn't just drop bombs on all its problems," and maybe rather than dropping pithy truth-bombs like that you could actually Debate and Discuss the issue being brought up.

At least with Latuff, if someone asked him, "hey, what would you like to see done about Boko Haram," he'd have an answer, even if it wasn't a good one. That's where the discussion goes.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rorus Raz posted:

Question, how do you know this ideal hypothetical ten-dimensional-chess solution isn't already in the works, and it just so happens that none of the steps involves saying a whole bunch of highly public and visible words, at least at this point? I ask because the entirety of the discussion when I started participating was "nobody in the west cares about this enough to do something about it but so help me they'd better not try to intervene directly either :argh:"

e: I'm basically with RyokoTK on this; all either of us were attacking was bad posting. I do not want to start bombing any additional country.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 14, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

colonel_korn posted:

Several cartoonists including JJ McCullough and Ann Telnaes did some photo essays on the CH shooting for Bors' site: https://medium.com/the-nib/laugh-cry-be-offended-ba8f59553c79
JJ's is predictably smug but also kind of funny I have to admit.

All of those were really good, even (and especially) JJ's.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

loquacius posted:

Question, how do you know this ideal hypothetical ten-dimensional-chess solution isn't already in the works, and it just so happens that none of the steps involves saying a whole bunch of highly public and visible words, at least at this point? I ask because the entirety of the discussion when I started participating was "nobody in the west cares about this enough to do something about it but so help me they'd better not try to intervene directly either :argh:"
There is definitely a lot of effort out there to put Africa on the same level as the rest of the world. I think the question is whether the efforts that currently exist are sufficient, or progressing fast enough to counter the things that are pulling the continent down.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Uh, if you guys aren't for murdering all cops, then maybe you could propose a solution for fixing the police problem, you know besides "eliminate all racism for social justice?" Really not digging these abstract answers that don't propose actual wins for society.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grey Fox posted:

He's calling for the internment of all Muslims in the US, right? That's what this garbage is saying in a terribly roundabout way, isn't it?

I assumed this was a nuke the Muslims and let God sort them out cartoon.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How about some commentary from everyone's favorite anarchist cartoonist?

"This handy little document enables the bearer to commit blatant acts of violence, discrimination, and intolerance towards people of Middle Eastern and African descent, without being called racist. Bill Maher says, get yours today!"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Watch Rall misinterpret them completely. I bet he's just going to draw a cartoon to be offensive for offensiveness sake.

My guess: American newspaper editors gunning down a room full of political cartoonists. "We wouldn't want to offend anyone!" says one, as his arm juts out at an unnatural angle.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bicyclops posted:

Uh, if you guys aren't for murdering all cops, then maybe you could propose a solution for fixing the police problem, you know besides "eliminate all racism for social justice?" Really not digging these abstract answers that don't propose actual wins for society.

Introduce an independent body to investigate every time a police officer kills a person to ensure it was actually necessary, because having the police investigate themselves has proven unsurprisingly ineffective. Police will still be racist, but they'll be less likely to get away with killing people over it. Not a perfect solution, but a step forward and also an answer beyond "keep naming ideas until I hear one that meets my standards :smug:"

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Introduce an independent body to investigate every time a police officer kills a person to ensure it was actually necessary, because having the police investigate themselves has proven unsurprisingly ineffective. Police will still be racist, but they'll be less likely to get away with killing people over it. Not a perfect solution, but a step forward and also an answer beyond "keep naming ideas until I hear one that meets my standards :smug:"

all your posts are smug as gently caress, could you stop? thanks

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Broken Cog posted:

Ted Rall has never been killed for one of his cartoons, and he knows just the man to change that.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Uh, what? He came forward and put himself at personal risk to expose the organization's criminal actions, at that point saying he's still complicit in them is kind of disingenuous.

He stops being complicit from that point onward but it doesn't erase his past transgressions. We don't let petty criminals walk just because they came forward with their involvement either. And considering that Snowden's revelations did not lead to anyone else actually being charged he's not even useful as a high-profile state's witness and therefore without anything that should migitate his complicity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

"keep naming ideas until I hear one that meets my standards :smug:"

This is literally what you are asking people to do, though, and my point is that the only time that people do it is when we address areas of the world which have been ignored.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

This is literally what you are asking people to do, though, and my point is that the only time that people do it is when we address areas of the world which have been ignored.

The only solutions put forth are on the level of 'bring about world peace' and 'invent a source of infinite energy' solutions. Sorry if some people don't see that happening any time soon.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

This is because, when Latuff criticizes American police for being racist shitheads, no one wastes this thread's time with stunning insight like "all America has to do is stop being racist." Leave that poo poo to the cartoons.

If all you want to do is post the first snide remark that pops into your head, then :gb2gbs:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

I like how CENTCOM's twitter getting hacked is, if anything, an indictment of the Military's Cyber Security polices and Republicans are taking the time to blame it on Obama. I think there was a cartoon yesterday that even said it was Obama who had been hacked.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

In fairness, Chip Bok is a moron. He has, however, mastered DreamWorks Face:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

This is because, when Latuff criticizes American police for being racist shitheads, no one wastes this thread's time with stunning insight like "all America has to do is stop being racist." Leave that poo poo to the cartoons.

If all you want to do is post the first snide remark that pops into your head, then :gb2gbs:

No one's solution has been "end colonialism using a time machine," either, though, except sarcastically to prove the point that military intervention is the only good option. Involving international players in a discussion about aid and education is what others have brought up, which yes, is simplistic, because this is complicated enough that only first step measures are going to be the purview of the cartoon thread.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
don't post in the political cartoons thread unless you have a 5 point plan on how to end poverty forever :smug: :stare: :imgay:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Hey, Fighting Uterus. Is that Bors?

I know it's JJ drawing it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bicyclops posted:

Involving international players in a discussion about aid and education is what others have brought up, which yes, is simplistic, because this is complicated enough that only first step measures are going to be the purview of the cartoon thread.

Honestly even that would have been fine, but none of the posts I was actually objecting to got even that far. :shrug:

like, even just "Step One of how to properly deal with Boko Haram would be to do X" where X is something as simple as diplomatic pressure to implement more democratic processes in the region would have been better than "here we go again, the West only knows how to explode things :rolleyes:"

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 14, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

Honestly even that would have been fine, but none of the posts I was actually objecting to got even that far. :shrug:

I said more or less exactly the same thing, word for word, already :psyduck: It just had more of a disclaimer about how this was not enough and it would take time.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

That dad is one smug looking cyclops. "Heh, check out my 9-year old, he watches Fox News all day!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bicyclops posted:

I said more or less exactly the same thing, word for word, already :psyduck: It just had more of a disclaimer about how this was not enough and it would take time.

All I've been saying is that taking too much time in a situation where 2000 people are getting killed in a week is something to avoid and things that would actually work in time to save people wouldn't please anyone here no matter what form they took, which is apparently the same as saying "no posts unless you know literally everything" because hail satan

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
The terrorists attacked because they couldn't understand the English signage. hosed up if true.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, Fighting Uterus. Is that Bors?

I know it's JJ drawing it.

The Avenging Uterus is indeed Bors' character.

quote:

I'd ask these people what they think "Gens d'armes" means, but they clearly and obviously don't because it's French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BerkerkLurk posted:

The terrorists attacked because they couldn't understand the English signage. hosed up if true.

"Ne Pas de Guns" there are you happy

• Locked thread