Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking of Atlus, they're publishing an indie game called Citizens of Earth that'll be released next week on both Wii U and 3DS (and pretty much everything else), here are the launch discounts:

Wii U and 3DS (North America) -- Launches Tuesday, Jan. 20
20% discount ($11.99) at launch for one week (through 1/27)

Wii U and 3DS (Europe) -- Launches Thursday, Jan. 22
20% discount (€9,59) at launch for one week (through 1/29); people who own either version can buy the other platform at 40% discount; buy one, get the other for €7,19 for one week only (through 1/29)

The game itself is an Earthbound-style RPG, I think, I haven't really looked into it. All I remember is that Atlus picked it up after their Kickstarter failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the eShop-specific news from the NA/EU Direct videos (JP will have to wait, it's loving 2AM):

Wii U:

Wii games on Wii U VC!
Play downloaded Wii games straight from the menu, with gamepad support for games that originally supported the Classic Controller. Upcoming schedule is as follows:

NA:
Now! Super Mario Galaxy 2
January 22: Punch-Out Wii
January 29: Metroid Prime Trilogy

PAL:
Now! Super Mario Galaxy 2
January 22: DKC Returns
January 29: Metroid Prime Trilogy
"Soon": Kirby's Adventure Wii, Pandora's Tower, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, Punch-Out Wii

Standard price is $19.99 / €19,99 / £17.99, but they're doing a promo where they're half-off if you buy them within the first week of availability.

"Project Treasure": - a free-to-play co-op action-RPG from Katsuhiro Harada's team at Bandai Namco. It's a dungeon crawler alright. Out this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75C_7RjfCh8

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars - yep, more quasi-Lemmings crap, same old same old. This one is cross-buy for both Wii U and 3DS: buy one version, get the other free, no limited-time deal, no temporary discount. Out March 5 in NA, March 20 in PAL-land.

3DS

Pokemon Shuffle
- I hope you like Candy Crush! Free to download, features all the IAP bullshit you know and love. Out in both regions in February.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3boz2E5_sc

Ironfall: Invasion - Remember that one demoscene Gears of War clone from a couple years back? It still exists, and it now has 6-player online. It'll support dual-analogue controls on New 3DS (or old 3DS via Circle Pad Pro), runs at 60FPS, etc. Out in PAL-land in February, "early 2015" in NA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQbE6hsw2wg

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is getting a demo, and it'll include online play! Coming "soon.

Nintendo Anime Channel - was this announced for NA? Free 3DS app that lets you stream episodes of the Pokemon, Kirby and Inazuma Eleven cartoons. Out February 13.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 14, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh poo poo I can have those Wii games for $10? Oh man everyone needs to go buy Metroid Prime Trilogy! And Punch Out! And Mario Galaxy 2. Just buy them all those are amazing prices.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sin & Punishment Star Successor
NoA please get it together.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Is anyone actually seeing Galaxy 2 up yet?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Probably won't be up until the standard eShop update time, so like another hour.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

3DS

Pokemon Shuffle
- I hope you like Candy Crush! Free to download, features all the IAP bullshit you know and love. Out in both regions in February.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3boz2E5_sc

I don't understand. I already have this game. It's called Pokemon Troizei. Pokemon + IAP sounds like a money maker, so I can't really blame them I guess.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Kaleidoscope posted:

Is anyone actually seeing Galaxy 2 up yet?

It's up in Europe right now.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Speaking of Atlus, they're publishing an indie game called Citizens of Earth that'll be released next week on both Wii U and 3DS (and pretty much everything else), here are the launch discounts:

Wii U and 3DS (North America) -- Launches Tuesday, Jan. 20
20% discount ($11.99) at launch for one week (through 1/27)

Wii U and 3DS (Europe) -- Launches Thursday, Jan. 22
20% discount (€9,59) at launch for one week (through 1/29); people who own either version can buy the other platform at 40% discount; buy one, get the other for €7,19 for one week only (through 1/29)

The game itself is an Earthbound-style RPG, I think, I haven't really looked into it. All I remember is that Atlus picked it up after their Kickstarter failed.

I beta tested it a bit on PC until I had some issues with my system and couldn't test anymore, it's a fun game with solid writing and art design. It's not Earthbound tier, but it's a solid 8 or 9 out of 10.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh poo poo I can have those Wii games for $10? Oh man everyone needs to go buy Metroid Prime Trilogy! And Punch Out! And Mario Galaxy 2. Just buy them all those are amazing prices.

Yeah I would be all over that except I just bought MG2 and Punch-Out used recently for about $20 each and though I was getting a great deal. Will be jumping on Metroid Prime when it arrives though. Also eshop Xenosaga would be awesome since it's hard to find it for less than $100 but I doubt they're going to release that anytime soon with the 3DS version coming out.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Lagomorphic posted:

Also eshop Xenoblade would be awesome since it's hard to find it for less than $100 but I doubt they're going to release that anytime soon with the 3DS version coming out.

The put Super Mario Advance 2 on the eShop despite Super Mario World already being there. It's unlikely that would happen but hey why should Nintendo start making sense now?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaleidoscope posted:

The put Super Mario Advance 2 on the eShop despite Super Mario World already being there. It's unlikely that would happen but hey why should Nintendo start making sense now?

They'll probably wait a few months before Xenoblade hits Wii U if it ever does.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can someone verify if Mario Galaxy 2 is uprezzed as well as upscaled?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I can see them putting it out eventually but I can't imagine they'd be in any hurry to do it while the remake is their new big exclusive pushing adoption of the New 3DS.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
gently caress a duck... I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy for over $40, hard copy, and now it's coming to the Wii U for way less than that. I'm going to see if I can return it.

So, how does Galaxy 2 control? Does one still have to have the WiiMote & Nunchuk?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JustJeff88 posted:

gently caress a duck... I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy for over $40, hard copy, and now it's coming to the Wii U for way less than that. I'm going to see if I can return it.

So, how does Galaxy 2 control? Does one still have to have the WiiMote & Nunchuk?

Yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gone

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 14, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Argue posted:

Can someone verify if Mario Galaxy 2 is uprezzed as well as upscaled?

It's the same game you get if you stick the disc version in a Wii U.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Any game like Galaxy that is built around using the motion controls is going to only use that control scheme on the rerelease.

The only games that will use the game pad are ones that originally supported the classic controller which Galaxy did not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Punch-Out Wii and Metroid Trilogy for 10 bucks, what crazy world do I live in?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Regy Rusty posted:

The only games that will use the game pad are ones that originally supported the classic controller which Galaxy did not.

Neither did Metroid Prime or Punch Out, right? I never even tried connecting a controller for them what with how absurdly motion-oriented they are.

I'm trying to figure if this new tablet controller compatibility works only with the digital versions or also with the discs, but neither of the three introduced games seem compatible with a classic controller in the first place. The whole thing was pretty badly explained. :confused:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Beef Waifu posted:

Punch-Out Wii and Metroid Trilogy for 10 bucks, what crazy world do I live in?

A beautiful new one full of possibilities. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Neither did Metroid Prime or Punch Out, right? I never even tried connecting a controller for them what with how absurdly motion-oriented they are.

I'm trying to figure if this new tablet controller compatibility works only with the digital versions or also with the discs, but neither of the three introduced games seem compatible with a classic controller in the first place. The whole thing was pretty badly explained. :confused:

Metroid Prime I know didn't since the whole point of it was to make a version where you could use the Wii mote to aim and shoot. I'm looking forward to finally being able to get it for a decent price since I've never played any of the Prime games.

Punch-out I never played nor intend to so I don't know.

As for the controller compatibility I guess it'll be clearer once they announce more games that actually supported the classic, but my understanding is that it will only apply to the ones bought digitally, since only those will be bypassing Wii mode. If you stick a disc in, you still have to go to Wii Mode to play it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Punch-Out needs the wiimote, it cannot use controllers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, as I thought. Punch Out is really fun, though. Don't miss out on it.

Oh, and Europe's getting Donkey Kong Returns instead of Punch Out. DKR required waggle in a bunch of places so I can't imagine it working with the classic controller either. I just want to know if at some point I can play some of my Wii games with the tablet controller instead of keeping tons of dumb hardware around when I have the system connected to the TV. :(

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Sakurazuka posted:

Thought I'd toss my Monster Hunter 4 demo codes in here rather than the main 3DS thread. These are EU ONLY (as far as I know).

A076TK2D0MGKGXAY
A076VCXM0GC7XT4R
A077051V2AXNH1WW

I got the first code! Thanks!! :D

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

All this new stuff is great, but drat, literally the only thing I want is Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the Virtual Console.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Thought I'd toss my Monster Hunter 4 demo codes in here rather than the main 3DS thread. These are EU ONLY (as far as I know).

A076TK2D0MGKGXAY
A076VCXM0GC7XT4R
A077051V2AXNH1WW

Took the second one, thanks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, as I thought. Punch Out is really fun, though. Don't miss out on it.

It looks really boring to me, I have no interest in boxing games, even silly cartoony ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Punch-Out is like one of the only boxing game series I like and that's because it barely functions like a boxing game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Regy Rusty posted:

Any game like Galaxy that is built around using the motion controls is going to only use that control scheme on the rerelease.

I figured as much. I like the Galaxy games, but I hate the controls.

Beef Waifu posted:

I bought that game on release day, played the piss out of it, and I recall playing it with the WiiMote sideways and no waggling. Unless my memory is bad, I don't see how that couldn't easily translate.

Now, what really pisses me off is whoever made New Super Mario Wii not compatbile with a classic controller. I had the great fortune to get a Nintendo-name Classic Pro Controller through GameStop for half what they were online, and even though NSMWii only has one waggle, the shake-to-spin-jump, it's not compatible with the classic controller when they could have just mapped the spin to another button. That's my biggest issue with the Wii; obnoxious controls.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's more that there's no support for controllers, you have to waggle or turn the wiimote sideways to play the game and I hate playing games with the latter format on the Wii.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Punch-Out is less a boxing game and more of a twitch reaction puzzle game. It is also great.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Guess I should open Punch Out.

It was (still is?) going really cheap in the UK. £3 for a new sealed copy cheap.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Man I expected at least this would be the one game I could use gamepad offscreen support for, but I guess not. loving bullshit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MinibarMatchman posted:

Man I expected at least this would be the one game I could use gamepad offscreen support for, but I guess not. loving bullshit.

I checked... you can play Punch-Out with the WiiMote and Nunchuk (with wigglies), or the way I did with just the WiiMote sideways like an NES pad (no wigglies). So, it does indeed appear that classic controls are not supported. I'm not slagging off motion controls in a boxing game, though... when I first got my Wii (2009, I think?) I lost about half a stone playing that silly boxing game that came with the console. Actually having to dodge and weave and punchy is a pretty good workout.

Color Printer posted:

Punch-Out is less a boxing game and more of a twitch reaction puzzle game. It is also great.

This, basically. I have a personal fondness for the SNES Punch-Out because your character was an actual full-grown fit human and there was actual boxing in it, rather than having to dodge/duck/block->counter or die. There were still attacks that could put you down in one hit, not to mention a dude (not sure on the male part) who could knock your teeth out with his long hair and a fat Italian clown who juggled and then threw the balls at you, but you could actually find holes in your opponents' defences and take the offensive. Also, the star system for super punches was dispensed with. I'm pretty sure that that one is on VC; I encourage people to try it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Sakurazuka posted:

A076TK2D0MGKGXAY
A076VCXM0GC7XT4R
A077051V2AXNH1WW

I used the last one. Thanks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's something from the JP Direct that I missed last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGChXa-mdvA

Hakoboi!, a new puzzle-platformer game from HAL Laboratories that's available on the JP 3DS eShop right now, ~700yen. Looks to have Miiverse integration, too.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jcpj/

Also worth noting: they're giving away some sort of bonus (crossover Hakoboi/Kirby wallpaper, I think) to people who buy the digital code from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00R7FLME4

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 15, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I don't understand. I already have this game. It's called Pokemon Troizei. Pokemon + IAP sounds like a money maker, so I can't really blame them I guess.
Yeah it is, but the boards look more Candy Crushy in this one, so its Trozei but worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Here's something from the JP Direct that I missed last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGChXa-mdvA

Hakoboi!, a new puzzle-platformer game from HAL Laboratories that's available on the JP 3DS eShop right now, ~700yen. Looks to have Miiverse integration, too.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jcpj/

Also worth noting: they're giving away some sort of bonus (crossover Hakoboi/Kirby wallpaper, I think) to people who buy the digital code from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00R7FLME4

A lot of these mechanics are giving me serious Canvas Curse vibes, which I don't mind quite frankly.