Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if non-tank controls will make the game too easy, or will the confusion from the sudden camera angle changes negate any advantage. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if non-tank controls will make the game too easy, or will the confusion from the sudden camera angle changes negate any advantage. :v:

It's the latter, the option to turn off tank controls was in some later games, or maybe just similar games (silent hill 2) and the transitions without the tank controls meant you usually ended up going the wrong direction, often back to the screen you were just on. Sometimes it'd loop and you'd continuously change screens as long as you held down right or whatever. Maybe they've fixed that effect too though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fear Effect 2 did that. It was terrible.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Gat out of Hell is looking kinda cool. Dunno if I'm going to grab the remaster on the ps4 that has all the saint's row 4 dlc, or if I am just going to get the add on for the ps3.

Haven't heard/seen much about the RE remaster. Anyone have any links?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tried PSNow for an hour. Really, really, really phenomenally good. Only had once incidence of choppiness, other than that it looked great. I think the audio is only coming over in stereo, though, which kind of sucks.

I can see this being a success, especially for people who never had a PS3.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Bobtista posted:

There's a Plex app on the PS4 app section of the PSN store when the gently caress did that happen?

EDIT: oh it's the bullshit plexpass thing gently caress that, not interesting at all.

It'll be free for all without plexpass at some point, they always do that at first on a new platform.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brightman posted:

It's the latter, the option to turn off tank controls was in some later games, or maybe just similar games (silent hill 2) and the transitions without the tank controls meant you usually ended up going the wrong direction, often back to the screen you were just on. Sometimes it'd loop and you'd continuously change screens as long as you held down right or whatever. Maybe they've fixed that effect too though.

The easiest way is just to make it so that you carry on moving in the same direction in game after the camera change no matter which direction you're holding on the controller, until you you release the stick, I think that's how some games like DMC did it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Brightman posted:

some guy in a youtube video played with the new controls, and changed back to tank controls fairly early. Apparently, the game just works better with tank controls.
The first DMC handled that pretty well, when you changed screens you kept moving in the same direction until you moved the analouge stick

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Sakurazuka posted:

The easiest way is just to make it so that you carry on moving in the same direction in game after the camera change no matter which direction you're holding on the controller, until you you release the stick, I think that's how some games like DMC did it.

Yeah, that's what I meant by they might've fixed that effect. Granted that itself can be slightly disorientating depending on the transition, but iirc you get used to it.

Attitude Indicator posted:

some guy in a youtube video played with the new controls, and changed back to tank controls fairly early. Apparently, the game just works better with tank controls.
The first DMC handled that pretty well, when you changed screens you kept moving in the same direction until you moved the analouge stick

So they didn't fix the effect or it was just disorientating that way?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I think I know the answer to this, but do downloadable PS3 games work on PS4? I'm still a couple months from buying a PS4, but I'm planning on buying the Jak and Daxter collection and it would be great to not have to keep my PS3 hooked up.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
No.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Attitude Indicator posted:

Pretty sure the wii version had this feature too. IMO it was great for moving around but it's way too difficult to do combat with.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fremry posted:

I think I know the answer to this, but do downloadable PS3 games work on PS4? I'm still a couple months from buying a PS4, but I'm planning on buying the Jak and Daxter collection and it would be great to not have to keep my PS3 hooked up.

No. The only PS3 stuff that runs on PS4 is stuff that's been re-released on PS4 (some of which is cross buy, so you'll get the PS4 version for free), or the new subscription service PS Now, that streams a selection of PS3 games from the ~cloud~.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
How much Bandwidth does PSnow eat up? I might give it a try but if it'll eat up a shitload of Bandwidth I probably won't subscribe until I upgrade to unlimited Internet.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wait why does it stream them from the cloud? Why doesn't It just download them like you download other games?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spalec posted:

How much Bandwidth does PSnow eat up? I might give it a try but if it'll eat up a shitload of Bandwidth I probably won't subscribe until I upgrade to unlimited Internet.

This is where I'm at. gently caress Comcast.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

rear end Catchcum posted:

Wait why does it stream them from the cloud? Why doesn't It just download them like you download other games?

Because the PS4 can't play PS3 games. All you're doing is starting up a session of the game on a remote PS3 and streaming the video to your PS4 (obvious over-simplification but whatever).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hahaha that is so dumb. Do they really just have millions of ps3's hooked up

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Brightman posted:

A whole bunch of games made it so that so long as you held about the same direction on a transition, you'd keep going in that direction until you drastically changed what direction you held.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

You're going to download all that poo poo? The whole point is that it's instant. It'd be like downloading a netflix movie everytime you wanted to watch one.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Some weird mega-minimalized super-effective PS3 units storing quickly taking whatever data the connected client needs on RAM/SSD/Etc. And craploads of them per single rack-unit height.

I gave up and bought a PS3 to replace my dead one for christmas but I'll be grumpy if they don't drop a superduperslim PS3 based on this tech at E3 or GamesCom.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Great Joe posted:

A whole bunch of games made it so that so long as you held about the same direction on a transition, you'd keep going in that direction until you drastically changed what direction you held.

This has been a solution in games for forever and I cant imagine its not in here.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Gat out of Hell is looking kinda cool. Dunno if I'm going to grab the remaster on the ps4 that has all the saint's row 4 dlc, or if I am just going to get the add on for the ps3.

Haven't heard/seen much about the RE remaster. Anyone have any links?

I'm getting it for PS4. I loved SRIV on PS3, but that game seemed really taxing on its hardware. I suspect that the PS4 version will be better optimized and will have objectively better controls due to the DS4.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So how would you propose they make PS3 games playable on a PS4, PSTV, Smart TV?

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 14, 2015

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Eeh, just buy a PS3. I only had a Wii through the last generation until I realized I missed a lot of good games. When the ps4 was announced as not being backward compatible, I just bought a PS3. Problem solved.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Morby posted:

I'm getting it for PS4. I loved SRIV on PS3, but that game seemed really taxing on its hardware. I suspect that the PS4 version will be better optimized and will have objectively better controls due to the DS4.

I'm kinda wondering what the hosed up people near those little holes in reality are going to look like with the ps4 hardware, cause gently caress they looked nightmarish on the ps3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McFunkerson posted:

Eeh, just buy a PS3

And then go to the store or mail order every time you want to try something and wait for it to install and patch instead of just clicking on it and playing it right away.

I mean PSNow is like obviously not the greatest thing in the universe but acting like it's pointless or whatever is dumb. And it's pretty impressive that it works so well even on low-speed internet.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

precision posted:

And then go to the store or mail order every time you want to try something and wait for it to install and patch instead of just clicking on it and playing it right away.

I mean PSNow is like obviously not the greatest thing in the universe but acting like it's pointless or whatever is dumb. And it's pretty impressive that it works so well even on low-speed internet.

Just buy a ps3 with a hundred games installed for 20 dollars dude.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah, I'd rather get it for a month or two, play all the games I missed and be done with it rather than buy ps3 and bunch of games for it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Psnow is more interesting as a TV technology than a console one. The fact is being built into new Samsung TVs like Netflix is pretty badass. I hope they open it up as a pc service, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

It'll be free for all without plexpass at some point, they always do that at first on a new platform.

Now just make a drat PS4 remote (so my Harmony can scrape the codes from it.)

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
No go on PS Now with my 10Mbps connection. Boo. I can't justify upgrading my internet connection right now so I guess I'll be left behind in the digital streaming future of old games.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

echronorian posted:

Psnow is more interesting as a TV technology than a console one. The fact is being built into new Samsung TVs like Netflix is pretty badass. I hope they open it up as a pc service, too.

Yeah I think that's inevitable and an exciting prospect for the future.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Brightman posted:

So they didn't fix the effect or it was just disorientating that way?

don't know, it was just a video i skimmed through some time ago to take a look at what the remaster looked like. but i remember the dude playing switching to tank controls, so it might be something to keep in mind, that if you hate that controll scheme, it still might be the best way to play the game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Even if you put a PS3 game in a PS4, it's not possible to run it. Every PS3 game had to be specifically written for the system's CPU and GPU, and the PS4 shares about as much in common with the PS3 as it does the 360 or Wii U.

The reasons the PS4 can't play PS3 games are:
  • It would either need to have the PS3's CPU and GPU built in to it (which would also draw more power and generate more heat, require a bigger fan, take up space on the motherboard, and increase the cost of the system)
  • Or be able to emulate the PS3 in software (which was just barely possible with PS2 games on the PS3)
  • Or just have its components be architecturally similar to the PS3's (which the Wii and Wii U did, but it would have been a terrible idea for the PS4. Using an x86 processor instead of the PowerPC-based Cell makes it much easier to program for, as well as cheaper and more power-efficient).

The only way to play PS3 games is with a PS3, streaming them from a server-side PS3 with PSNow, or to just wait for some remasters on the PS4.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

• Or be able to emulate the PS3 in software (which was just barely possible with PS2 games on the PS3)

The PS3's individual cores run faster than the PS4's individual cores so emulating is pretty much always going to be impossible.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda wondering what the hosed up people near those little holes in reality are going to look like with the ps4 hardware, cause gently caress they looked nightmarish on the ps3.

I really hope they bothered to take advantage of the better hardware. The game is still fun as hell.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

Eeh, just buy a PS3. I only had a Wii through the last generation until I realized I missed a lot of good games. When the ps4 was announced as not being backward compatible, I just bought a PS3. Problem solved.

I had a 360 instead of a PS3 and there were a few exclusive games I missed out on that I'd like to be able to play (MGS3, Yakuza series). I'd give Now a try if they become available via subscription on it, but gently caress if I'm spending roughly $150 or whatever on a 9 year old console to play a couple interesting sounding games.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 14, 2015

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Oh, yeah... Sorry. My comment was more about "oh noes, my backwards compatibility!?!??" Than PSNow being a useless service.

PSNow isn't for me, but I can see why other people would find value in it. I have rather particular tastes and like being able to keep and replay my games later down the road, so I had no problems picking up a console and the dozen or so titles I wanted used at super cheap prices. Would have been nice if ps4 could play them, but it can't so it let me put off buying a ps4 until I could get a cheap(er) used one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Gaikai has always been technically excellent, so good to hear that hasn't changed in their transformation into PSNow.

• Locked thread