Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Holdbrooks posted:

Neat, my grandfather was involved in y2k fixes in a lot of nuclear facilities around the country before he retired. The budget of these type of things is mind blowing.

Yeah now you quoted me so I can't further correct my math. loving drunkposting and trying to remember numbers from 20 years ago. So yeah what I'm trying to say was that the Siemens turbine generated roughly 10 million dollars per month MORE than the GE turbine. The GE turbine was already doing something like 60 mil a month. So more like $80k an hour.

Our machine that was one small part of the retrofit cost half a million dollars, it was my company's most expensive custom machine ever. They had it paid off in 6 hours of runtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Three different types of fiberglass insulation within 4 feet of each other on a wall? Was the house built using scraps?

jamal posted:

Well poo poo. I ordered a replacement screen for my phone last week, just replaced it, phone turns on, new screen works, data works, text messages work, but it says voice is out of service and won't make or receive calls.

Time to open it back up and triple-check all of the connectors.

Galler posted:

There are a bunch of definitions for low/medium/high voltages but I think most of the reasonable ones would have that as medium. I don't think I ever want to be in anyway involved with extra-high voltages :stonk:

poo poo, when I worked in a plant that used a ton of 480 three-phase, 4160 was the main feed. I didn't want any part of that poo poo, anything above that is insta-vaporize crazy talk.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

They were calling 4160V "Medium Voltage" in the meeting today :psypop:

If you haven't already, check out Three-Phase' thread in Ask/Tell. It's a massive sperg dumping ground for all things related to industrial power generation and poo poo, really interesting.

He kind of has a big hang-up about arc-flash accidents and usually goes off about them every couple of pages, but I guess in his line of work that's understandable.

e; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435068

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 14, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I tried out the Liquid Cocaine shots recipe that Leica posted a few pages back. That was a mistake and I think my phone needs a breathalyzer attached to it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

Three different types of fiberglass insulation within 4 feet of each other on a wall? Was the house built using scraps?

The amount of corner-cutting that goes on in modern house building is quite frankly astounding. And yet they still cost a ridiculous sum of money. I can't even remember half the list of things that were wrong with my lady's new place, it was that vast.

Cool photo though.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Mother loving telephone pole work the rest of the week. So cold.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

Here's the cluster I designed and deployed Q4 2014. This deployment was 480 cores, 5TB DDR3 1600, connected via 40Gb Infiniband to three giant NAS providing 1.8PB combined SSD and Spindle storage.
Those look familiar, we have some similar in a few of the computer rooms I've been in. Good power for the foot print, I just hate the tiny high pitched fans that scream. Can't say much, the new stuff I'm working on has fans going at 15-17k RPM at most times and increased the sound level in the computer room by a lot. All the customer people were in the room when we first spooled it up because they wanted to see just how loud it was. We've always been good at making loud poo poo. What's the power draw per cabinet on that?

LloydDobler posted:

I used to design maintenance equipment for things like that, where they talk about downtime not in days or weeks but millions of dollars.
Same in HPC. Downtime is a big issue when the system gets large enough (Titan), downtime costs roughly 50k per half hour. Not power plant levels of money but still not cheap. Didn't really sink in until they were doing some electrical work and knocked down a chunk which hosed everything resulting in a ~1 million dollar downtime.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My friend the realtor just called me. I have an inside shot at a 3/2 with a two car garage on a half acre for $50k, just came on the market. It's bank owned and there's some poo poo wrong with it here and there, but the roof was done 10 years ago, all the walls and windows and whatnot are where they're supposed to be, and HELLO TWO CAR GARAGE WITH TWO CAR WIDE DRIVEWAY.

I'm going over there with a building inspector next week and talking to USAA today about a mortgage.

At least it can't be as bad as kastein has it :v: Any tips for a homebuyer?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have really bad acid reflux and it's been rearing its ugly head lately. I used to take prevacid (prescription) but my doctor changed me to something else that was helping better but lately doesn't seem to be.

The worst thing is it feels like heart attack symptoms (shortness of breath and chest pains) and I've been to the doctor many times just in case, and it's always digestive in nature. And I know that's what this is because there's a heartburn-like sensation with it sometimes.

I tried going to bed last night at 10:15 but after midnight I gave up, had a couple of shots of rum and was out in five minutes. :v: Does that make me an alcoholic, if I need booze to go to sleep?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 14, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I have really bad acid reflux and it's been rearing its ugly head lately. I used to take prevacid (prescription) but my doctor changed me to something else that was helping better but lately doesn't seem to be.

The worst thing is it feels like heart attack symptoms (shortness of breath and chest pains) and I've been to the doctor many times just in case, and it's always digestive in nature. And I know that's what this is because there's a heartburn-like sensation with it sometimes.

I tried going to bed last night at 10:15 but after midnight I gave up, had a couple of shots of rum and was out in five minutes. :v: Does that make me an alcoholic, if I need booze to go to sleep?

If you have to ask...

I've never really had huge heartburn/AR problems so I don't know what it's like, but I've never had heartburn so bad that I couldn't kill it with a 1000mg Tums with a glass of milk.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Britgoons, how bad an idea is a cheap V6 MX-3? There's a couple of later (97/98) models I've seen advertised for <£800 and I would love my own little baby V6. :ohdear:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Beach Bum posted:

a 3/2 with a two car garage on a half acre for $50k

Where do you live? Montana?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Slipped a disc. Can't walk. At hospital.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Mother loving telephone pole work the rest of the week. So cold.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

:ohdear:

What happened?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Me and my journeyman were loading a reel of fiber onto the bucket truck. I felt a pain in my lower back and collapsed on the ground. My entire right leg is in pain and my lower back hurts so much right now I can barely stand.

My dad is roasting my clutch driving my car to the ER right now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Its a vegas house, so yup!
The shower tiles were bonded to drywall. no moisture barrier, no sealing. Fun times.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh dude. welcome to hell. Lifes gonna suck for the next few months, and then you'll get friendly reminders for the rest of your life when you least want it.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Propaganda Bob posted:

So we have a northeast and Canada AI thread, and I've noticed more than a couple TX goons- would there be any interest in an AI Texas thread? Or maybe just the southwest in general?

I'd be down for this. It might be useful from a borrowed help/tools/equipment standpoint, and also drinking.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Where do you live? Montana?

North Florida/Panhandle. Good neighborhood too; my mother, her sister, and their parents all live on the same street as this place. I'm not sure about living that close to that much of my family but for that kind of money I'm not sure I care.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 14, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I can't tell if everyone from AI got together in one RV whether we'd all get along really well or immediately want to kill each other.

Are those two things mutually exclusive?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I plan on just using it for auto body work, so I shouldn't be pegging out the duty cycle.

Even for bodywork, remember that they lie about the duty cycle. I mean, yeah....the machine keeps running but the arc sucks and everything turns into a splatterfest. With whatever machine you get I suggest spending a lot of time doing long welds on nice clean scrap to figure out just how far you can push it before things go lovely. I found that out the hard way on my 120v flux core machine, but now that I know to look for it/about when it's going to happen it's really not a problem. Not like I'm some volume/production shop. I can just drink a beer while it cools off.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Me and my journeyman were loading a reel of fiber onto the bucket truck. I felt a pain in my lower back and collapsed on the ground. My entire right leg is in pain and my lower back hurts so much right now I can barely stand.

My dad is roasting my clutch driving my car to the ER right now.

I did this last january locking out at the top of a deadlift rep and I couldn't walk for about 4 days and it was 2 or 3 weeks until I was able to semi return to normal tasks, and I wound up with an epidural and several months of physical therapy that my insurance company refuses to pay for

Good luck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Not like I'm some volume/production shop. I can just drink a beer while it cools off.

This is my logic. Yeah I would love to have a huge 240v machine with 100% duty cycle at X voltage and all the fanciest poo poo they make. But then thats going to cost me at least 3,000 and I may not have 240v service to where I need it for a while, etc, so I figure its easier to just drink a beer while the machine cools off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
On a similar note, I pinched my sciatica nerve last August. All I was doing was bending down to pick up a coffee mug that I spilled, I went down and up fast because I was mad at myself and on the way up I had intense pain. I was off work for a few weeks practically stuck in bed. Walked with a cane for a few after that and finally a week or two ago I stopped feeling it as I got out of bed in the morning. If I do a lot of physical activity or bend it the wrong way Ill still feel it though.

Hurting your back is the worst. Can't even roll over on your side without something to grab onto. I pissed in many a bottle just because it was easier than walking 10 feet to the bathroom.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

If you have to ask...

I've never really had huge heartburn/AR problems so I don't know what it's like, but I've never had heartburn so bad that I couldn't kill it with a 1000mg Tums with a glass of milk.

If you have acid problems, milk is a terrible thing to drink - milk is highly acidic (more acid than citrus juice) and will just irritate it more. Use water.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you have acid problems, milk is a terrible thing to drink - milk is highly acidic (more acid than citrus juice) and will just irritate it more. Use water.

Dude, not even close. Where are you getting your factoids?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
fresh milk has a pH of about 6.7, you are full of poo poo as per usual

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I tried out the Liquid Cocaine shots recipe that Leica posted a few pages back. That was a mistake and I think my phone needs a breathalyzer attached to it.

You forgot the bleach chaser didn't you :colbert:

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

jammyozzy posted:

Britgoons, how bad an idea is a cheap V6 MX-3? There's a couple of later (97/98) models I've seen advertised for <£800 and I would love my own little baby V6. :ohdear:

I have only driven US soec versions of the car, but the 92 V6 was a fun and peppy car. The 1.8L V6 is basically a lower displacement version of the same V6 Mazda used elsewhere like in the MX-6 and a fairly common thing to do is to swap in a 2.5L (if I remember right, it is also a super easy swap).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is my logic. Yeah I would love to have a huge 240v machine with 100% duty cycle at X voltage and all the fanciest poo poo they make. But then thats going to cost me at least 3,000 and I may not have 240v service to where I need it for a while, etc, so I figure its easier to just drink a beer while the machine cools off.

Worked for me for quite some time.

Although I do have to say I'm loving the poo poo out my new machine.

Duty cycle? I'm more concerned with my power bill.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Do you plan on building ships? Good lord thats a nice machine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

BULLHONKY.

I'm gonna buy a few pounds of blue rock candy and the party store sells paper fedoras. I need to find some hazmat suits

A friend of mine who is a big fan of the show makes Blue Sky sugar candy regularly. Flows it out on a baking pan, cools it, then breaks it up just like the real thing. The puts it in little baggies. It's great.

rscott posted:

I went and ate pho with a bunch of VW drivers, pho was good, conversation was interesting and most importantly I learned about this place

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/small-business/article2623946.html

Rent your own bay for $20/hr :aaaaa:

There's something like that here in North Texas, but the only location is almost an hour away. Oh, and they closed in June, according to the website, supposedly to reopen some time. Oh, well.

leica posted:

I've had that drink (without the bleach) and I thought it was delicious. I actually like Jagermeister, though, so I must be weird. The bar called the drink a "3 wise men" at the time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you plan on building ships? Good lord thats a nice machine.

I plan on building whateverthefuck I want.

I wanted a TIG machine, and while inverters are nice they aren't all that great in the lower price ranges. I asked around and found that a guy that frequents the same bar is a retired machinist and has all kinds of poo poo in a sea container that he's been sitting on for nearly 10 years now. He doesn't necessarily want to part with any of it, but if it's going to a good home he'll reluctantly sell it as he needs extra cash.

He sold me that tank for $700. It came with a foot pedal ($250), 100 ft or more of 1/0 wire between the ground and stick stinger (another $300 or ), a cart, regulators and a full argon tank (owned not leased). So at that price I basically got the welder for free.

Having an inverter, especially for aluminum (variable frequency and the ability to set clean/penetration) would be awesome, but there's been a lot of just about everything welded with these old beastly transformer machines so I figure I can get by just fine.

Hilarity specs: it weighs 500+ lbs (it's got a lifting eye on it and I had to hook it with the engine crane to get it off the truck into my garage) and has a max amp draw in the low 80s at 240v.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I Rain-X'd my windshield today at lunch, their "extreme" glass cleaner appears to be the same poo poo you clean glass stove tops with except in a body wash bottle

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I plan on building whateverthefuck I want.

Wanna build a 1/1 scale of Galactica outta rover parts and random bike poo poo?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Dude, not even close. Where are you getting your factoids?

rscott posted:

fresh milk has a pH of about 6.7, you are full of poo poo as per usual

Actually, it was something I'd heard a long, long, long time ago and have never looked up or read about since (that milk makes acid reflux worse). Looking it up now, it's not that the milk is acidic, it's that unless you're drinking skim milk, the fat in the milk causes an increase in stomach acid production (as will any fatty food). So if it's skim milk it probably won't make it worse.

So part of the statement I made is still correct (drinking milk when you have heartburn or acid reflux is probably not that good of an idea), but the underlying reason I believed that statement was incorrect. Can't remember where I heard the bit about milk being more acidic than citrus juice, it was somewhere in my childhood and I'd never seen or read anything to correct that mistaken belief until I looked it up just now.

e: I'm beginning to think I've found the reason why old people often make ridiculous/stupid claims: you hear something once in your childhood, never get corrected on it, and then 35 years later you're pretty sure you've heard it somewhere but can't quite remember where. The difference is unlike a lot of old farts, I'm not someone who's unwilling to change his position when presented with contrary evidence. I like to be corrected, as I hate inaccurate info as much as anyone.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 14, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Wanna build a 1/1 scale of Galactica outta rover parts and random bike poo poo?

I don't see why not. As long as it's BSA bike poo poo.

Where can we pick up some cheap turbofans? Obviously would have to be Rolls Royce.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

leica posted:

I did.

I was still drunk when I woke up. I went pretty hard on the paint for a Tuesday night. I don't know why I can't save my ragers for weekends like normal people.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those look familiar, we have some similar in a few of the computer rooms I've been in. Good power for the foot print, I just hate the tiny high pitched fans that scream. Can't say much, the new stuff I'm working on has fans going at 15-17k RPM at most times and increased the sound level in the computer room by a lot. All the customer people were in the room when we first spooled it up because they wanted to see just how loud it was. We've always been good at making loud poo poo. What's the power draw per cabinet on that?

Same in HPC. Downtime is a big issue when the system gets large enough (Titan), downtime costs roughly 50k per half hour. Not power plant levels of money but still not cheap. Didn't really sink in until they were doing some electrical work and knocked down a chunk which hosed everything resulting in a ~1 million dollar downtime.

You would be amazed at how quiet this new gen hardware is. It's a night and day difference between the screamers that were X8 based dual node 1U's.
This deployment was limited to 3, 30amp 240v circuits. The 10 compute nodes draw just under 22 amps at full load. The storage is somewhere around 18amps per circuit. By no means a power hungry system compared to the 150 node system we have at another company. It's last gen X8 tech and it can only support 14 nodes per 30amp circuit, at half the core count.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Theres an airport not too far from the house. Think I could tote one home on the bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Theres an airport not too far from the house. Think I could tote one home on the bike?

Mount it to the bike and you'll get home faster.

• Locked thread