Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone give me a link to the Destiny thread?
galtse.cx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Destiny wanted to be Halo so badly it's palpable. I thought the beta was fun, then I realized the beta was like a full third of the retail game. kinda sad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rip in peace, War Z.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Has there ever been a party based WWII RPG? Or at least a tactics RPG? There are so many FPS, RTS, and strategy games with that setting that I figure someone must have tried a different game genre at some point.

Valkyria Chronicles. It's not specifically World War II, like it doesn't outright say that, but look at the screenshots and it's pretty decidedly trying to be a WWII game with some fantasy elements thrown in. http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Commando's Behind Enemy Lines is another too: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6800/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
In case anyone missed it, games workshop is letting the total war guys make total war fantasy warhammer

they leaked it in a magazine

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

In case anyone missed it, games workshop is letting the total war guys make total war fantasy warhammer

they leaked it in a magazine
They actually leaked it in some art book that's not supposed to be out quite yet but someone got an early copy. But details...

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Warhammer Fantasy loving sucks though, so who cares

also, Total War is bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Playstation Now is pretty cool from a proof of concept POV. Bring on streaming gaming of all games ever made ever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

also, Total War is bad

I like both Fantasy and 40K, but would prefer 40K, and yeah, Total War is terrible anyways.

precision posted:

Playstation Now is pretty cool from a proof of concept POV. Bring on streaming gaming of all games ever made ever

I am really impressed with PS Now. Sony did a great job rolling this service out and making it viable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm looking forward to Playstation Now (and every other game streaming service ever) never being available in my hemisphere of the planet because datacenters are expensive.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Playstation Now is completely useless unless you just happen to own a PS4 and were in a coma for the last 8 years. It's $20 a month to play a bunch of games that everyone interested in gaming has already played.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm excited for Warhammer Total War because it's the closest we'll get to Thirty Years: Total War

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adam Bowen posted:

also, Total War is bad

shut your loving mouth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Total War is ok, majority just has problems assessing what those series are and what they aren't.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Adam Bowen posted:

Playstation Now is completely useless unless you just happen to own a PS4 and were in a coma for the last 8 years. It's $20 a month to play a bunch of games that everyone interested in gaming has already played.

Playstation Now is Sony trying to see if they can make the next/last playstation a dumb client.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I'm excited for Warhammer Total War because it's the closest we'll get to Thirty Years: Total War

empire TW was pretty close too

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i heard the space marine action game wasn't consistent with the lore, but i enjoyed it.

lots of orks being mowed down by a big chainsaw on a stick is ok in my books.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody played the Space Hulk game? Is it any good?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody played the Space Hulk game? Is it any good?

It is terrible. Skip it. (And this is from someone who used to be a 40K nut and has a copy of the Space Hulk reprint with all the miniatures painted. :spergin:)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ullerrm posted:

It is terrible. Skip it. (And this is from someone who used to be a 40K nut and has a copy of the Space Hulk reprint with all the miniatures painted. :spergin:)

drat. I'm figuring Mordheim: City of the Damned will be the same, which makes me super sad.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Adam Bowen posted:

Incorrect. There is a $99 Playstation TV which provides PSNow services as well as the other media streaming services the PS4 has.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kalstrams posted:

Total War is ok, majority just has problems assessing what those series are and what they aren't.

So what's the Total War series, then? I'm asking as someone who's never played or looked into one at all except in the 'they exist I guess' sense

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

So what's the Total War series, then? I'm asking as someone who's never played or looked into one at all except in the 'they exist I guess' sense
Crysis of strategies, you use whatever is the last one to test your new computer but the gameplay rarely gets you for long. Combination of mediocre turn-based strategy and decent real-time army battles. Takes very specific person to appreciate it for what it is, as in not really anywhere else you get that much army to gently caress around with on the screen, but you're not getting much more that would not be worse/dumber than some other game. For any other aspect of the game there is better one out there. That's the problem I mention - everyone knows what it essentially is, not many have appropriate expectations.

It can get significantly better when modded properly, but including mods in any comparison makes little sense.

Generally I would not recommend buying them, unless your shtick is is to see thousands of people on the battlefield in a setting that usually (since apparently not always, from now onwards), attempts to represent history on History Channel level or so.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Incorrect. There is a $99 Playstation TV which provides PSNow services as well as the other media streaming services the PS4 has.

I forgot about that. So if you've got $99 and spent the last 8 years in a coma, PSNow will be perfect for you.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hell yeah Gamer

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

I forgot about that. So if you've got $99 and spent the last 8 years in a coma, PSNow will be perfect for you.

I'm sure that's a very lucrative demographic to target, they have almost a decade of interest built up

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like the idea of companies making their back catalog of games available more easily, but how does streaming work w/r/t a game?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the same way it works for mmos but this time instead of just getting back replies on your input and the game state you 're also getting video

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the same way it works for mmos but this time instead of just getting back replies on your input and the game state you 're also getting video
Makes sense, thanks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

THE PENETRATOR posted:

it sort of boggles my mind that this works fast enough over an internet connection, even for older games, to... well, work :psyduck:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Blacklist just decided to throw a first person segment in. I guess they want to give a taste of what it's like to play as the mercs, but spies are cooler and get more toys.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

MockingQuantum posted:

drat. I'm figuring Mordheim: City of the Damned will be the same, which makes me super sad.

I figure I should rant longer on this.

So, the issue with Space Hulk: The Video Game is that it is fairly strictly adherent to the board game. Same tiles as the board game, same action points, it's showing you the *d6 rolls for every action, and so on. On one hand, this makes it faithful to the source content. On the other hand, it means that gameplay is GOD AWFUL SLOW -- and you have to sit through every animation on the result of an attack. It'll take you half an hour just to get through the tutorial level, to say nothing of the standard campaign. It took me four hours to clear the first three missions of the single player campaign, and that was without the usual save-scumming that I tend to do for turn based strategy games.

The other issue is that they're almost too faithful to the board game -- by the time you reach the third or fourth mission, you have basically seen everything that the game has to offer you. The tile sets aren't that varied (because they're just 3D translations of the board game), and there's not a ton of tactical variety: put Marines in choke points, flick on Overwatch, and then watch them gun down genos without care. The only time you even remotely get worried is when your guns jam.

Visually, it's pretty fugly. Low resolution textures and chunky polygonal models, tons of visual bugs. Lots of bugs in gameplay too. (Some of which benefit you a lot, such as being able to undo and reroll melee attacks.)

They nailed the 40K atmosphere dead on, which makes the lack of polish so aggravating. If they had just sat six months on it, done some more play testing, and actually made it "a video game that plays like Space Hulk" instead of "a strict, original vision, precise translation of the Space Hulk Board Game to a computer" then it would have been a loving amazing game. As it is, I can't recommend it.

Also, the company responded to the poor critical feedback by abandoning the original game, and then doing about half of the above in a new game called "Space Hulk: Ascension" that they charged more for. The reviews for SH:Ascension are much better than the original Space Hulk, but I haven't bought it, because gently caress companies that do that.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Excels posted:

i heard the space marine action game wasn't consistent with the lore, but i enjoyed it.

lots of orks being mowed down by a big chainsaw on a stick is ok in my books.

The game ended by having you drop your power hammer, take off your jetpack, and quick time event the boss to death. What an awful way to end.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I love Gamasutra PMs, even if I never play the game. It's enlightening for developers to be a bit more honest about what went right and what went wrong than you'd otherwise expect.

Unrelated: I have a feeling I'm setting myself up for major disappointment, but I put the last Tiberium C&C game on my wishlist for whenever it goes on sale next. I've had an itch to finish off the series (not a fan of Red Alert) for a while now.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
C&C 4?
Just watch youtube if you want the story imo

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

(not a fan of Red Alert)

Welp you're dumb as hell so who cares what you do

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
lmao Blacklist has a few cool things but god drat it suffers from Ubi-itis at times. There's one mission in Guantanamo Bay where you have to not kill anybody. I snuck around perfectly and a dog discovered me. I decided "What the hell" and just shot the dog in the skull. Failed the mission because I killed an American Soldier :911:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Welp you're dumb as hell so who cares what you do

Command and Conquer has green crystals and Joe Kucan as a Evil Genius as its thematic centerpoint and I will brook no alternative definition on the subject. :colbert:

(the first Red Alert was tolerable because it was a tie-in to the proper series.)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Red alert or go to hell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

it sort of boggles my mind that this works fast enough over an internet connection, even for older games, to... well, work :psyduck:

Since you're just grabbing video, it doesn't really matter whether the game is new or old(unless they seriously streamed 320x240 video for PSX I guess), only the actual pace of the game. One frame links are as impossible streaming Street Fighter 2 as they are streaming SF4 Ultra. I have no idea if either of those are available for streaming, just an arbitrary example.

It does work, but you'd never mistake it for running the game locally.

• Locked thread