Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The re-release of Punch out! On the Wii U, really reminds me: We need a sequel to the Wii version. Next Level really outdid themselves, and I think that was one of the best and most underrated games of last Gen.

They could call it Punch U Out!! and it would give my Little Mac Amiibo something to do than Side B over the edge in Smash Bros.

Punch-Out! Origins: The Legend of Doc Louis. You'll need to master new health recovery and revenge mechanics in order to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes, but the particle effects on Samus's arm cannon are different than on gamecube because Retro was lazy with how they implemented them I think.

Only in Prime 1. In 2 they were done properly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yes, the gun smoke, charged ice beam icing up your gun, and seeing your own hand through the x-ray visor were a 2D pre-rendered layer on top of the GUI, which for reasons prevented them from working in Prime 3's engine. But Prime 2 and 3 itself has this sort of stuff where appropriate.

There are a few other quirks in Metroid Prime 1 that make me prefer it on the Gamecube, but in general they're among the best games ever made because they're King's Field with better controls, jumping, guns, and extremely strong art direction and music so if you don't have a Gamecube or a Wii* to play GC games on please get the trilogy because it's fantastic.

*Notable because you can still get the GC Prime games and Prime 3 for like $10 each because they were so mass produced. Though their price has I think very slowly increased as the more and more people were exposed to Prime Trilogy and realized how great they are.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 14, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

From what I remember reading, the Prime 1 stuff was rendered to match the GameCube's output resolution exactly and was lazy and wouldn't work in widescreen and would probably be too much of a nightmare to implement properly for a rerelease so they just didn't bother or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo please make Punch-Out Wii U with the exact same mechanics as the Wii one but add an entire circuit where you fight Nintendo characters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Nintendo please make Punch-Out Wii U with the exact same mechanics as the Wii one but add an entire circuit where you fight Nintendo characters.

They should make this a mode in Smash Bros.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

just remembered that Muramasa is CC compatible and I don't own a Vita so this owns, can play muramasa offscreen now

poo poo so does No More Heroes 2, nice

The vita version is much nicer than the wii version though

THE loving MOON posted:

Nope. I guess that pokemon puzzle and dragon type thing isn't the first?

PAD Z is not a freemium game like the mobile game

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

PAD Z is not a freemium game like the mobile game

I know PAD Z isn't, I was just comparing the type of game, not the payment model. In both games, you connect blocks to beat up monsters/pokemon on the top screen. And also capture them I guess? I don't know I haven't played Puzzle and Dragon

edit: I called it "that pokemon puzzle and dragon type thing" because I can't be bothered to look up the name of the Pokemon one.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 14, 2015

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes, the gun smoke, charged ice beam icing up your gun, and seeing your own hand through the x-ray visor were a 2D pre-rendered layer on top of the GUI, which for reasons prevented them from working in Prime 3's engine. But Prime 2 and 3 itself has this sort of stuff where appropriate.

There are a few other quirks in Metroid Prime 1 that make me prefer it on the Gamecube, but in general they're among the best games ever made because they're King's Field with better controls, jumping, guns, and extremely strong art direction and music so if you don't have a Gamecube or a Wii* to play GC games on please get the trilogy because it's fantastic.

*Notable because you can still get the GC Prime games and Prime 3 for like $10 each because they were so mass produced. Though their price has I think very slowly increased as the more and more people were exposed to Prime Trilogy and realized how great they are.

*sigh* I loved Metroid Prime 1, missed 2, and when I played 3 the motion controls actually made me puke. I didn't realize it was the game that was making me ill until it was too late. So what I'm asking is, all of these rereleases use the wiimote control, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also Muramasa will never come out on Wii U as a downloadable game. No particular reason why, I just bet it never will.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

monkeyboydc posted:

*sigh* I loved Metroid Prime 1, missed 2, and when I played 3 the motion controls actually made me puke. I didn't realize it was the game that was making me ill until it was too late. So what I'm asking is, all of these rereleases use the wiimote control, right?

Yes and there's no option to use a controller.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

So I'm assuming that gamepad support for games that use the Classic Controller only applies to these Wii rereleases and isn't a general Wii mode change, is that right?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

fruitpunch posted:

no thats the F-zero x mother fanfiction I've been writing

Does Captain Falcon get into crushing debt and offer rides for the group of kids that bail him out?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Punch-Out! Origins: The Legend of Doc Louis. You'll need to master new health recovery and revenge mechanics in order to survive.

This would actually be really awesome.

You could have two story campaigns. The first you play as Little Mac obviously, but then parallel to that you play as Doc Louis in the past, where you fight mostly new opponents, but occasionally you fight a younger version of a classic boxer (For example your first fight is against a super cocky Glass Joe with a record of 1-0).

In the End Doc Wins the belt, and the first thing that happens is he's approached by a Chocolate Bar company to do a sponsorship.

Feel free to send me the Royalty checks at your leisure Nintendo.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

You could have two story campaigns. The first you play as Little Mac obviously, but then parallel to that you play as Doc Louis in the past, where you fight mostly new opponents, but occasionally you fight a younger version of a classic boxer (For example your first fight is against a super cocky Glass Joe with a record of 1-0).

In the End Doc Wins the belt, and the first thing that happens is he's approached by a Chocolate Bar company to do a sponsorship.

http://youtu.be/6S0Jd-WpZOk?t=35s

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just found the receipt and my brother and I paid $60 for Metroid Trilogy and $26 for Mario Galaxy 2, and we're returning both for full refunds and getting them for $10. This just saved us $65 and change.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Not gonna lie, a new Punch-Out!! with a younger Doc as the main character would be rad and I would play the poo poo out of it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Monkey Fracas posted:

All the characters in the game are technically Nintendo characters though...

Thinking about it, would have been cool to get King Hippo or Glass Joe to balance it out and give us more fighters with the KO meter mechanic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Astro7x posted:

All the characters in the game are technically Nintendo characters though...

I think it's super obvious he meant not just characters from Punch-Out!!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They did put Donkey Kong in the game though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZETPjW25M

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty cool direct, nothing got me super excited but I enjoyed the whole thing.
Glad to see Wii games are downloadable now, I doubt I'll ever purchase any since I still have a lot of the best Wii games on disc and there are no real improvements to the game. I wonder if this means that gamecube downloads are right around the corner- or they're never coming

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So are the downloadable Wii titles still in grainy 480p? Because higher resolution Mario Galaxy and Metroid would make me buy them a second time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cicadas! posted:

So are the downloadable Wii titles still in grainy 480p? Because higher resolution Mario Galaxy and Metroid would make me buy them a second time.

I think the output is still 480p but they may be upscaled.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cicadas! posted:

Yes, but they are also :10bux:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did Nintendo turn off all online services for the Wii? I felt bored today and bust out the Wii and it won't update or let me connect to its eshop. Is there a way to download the latest system update manually?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Did Nintendo turn off all online services for the Wii? I felt bored today and bust out the Wii and it won't update or let me connect to its eshop. Is there a way to download the latest system update manually?

The Wii Shop Channel is still available, but everything else is dead because the old Wii and DS servers were hosted on GameSpy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the chances of Splatoon not selling extremely poorly even if it's good as hell

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

If they did turn off the online services you would have to update the wii manually by installing the homebrew channel and using some tools or via a game disc that has the latest system menu.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

You should be able to connect to the Wii Shop Channel, only online functions related to individual games were shut down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

You should be able to connect to the Wii Shop Channel, only online functions related to individual games were shut down.

It won't let me do that until I install the system update, but it appears the system update server has been shut down. Which is frustrating because i'm on 4.2 and it looks like the latest version is 4.3.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

It won't let me do that until I install the system update, but it appears the system update server has been shut down.

Your options are buy a recent Wii game that has the update, Skyward Sword might have it, I dunno, or homebrew your Wii and install the update through homebrew channel. Or you could install a compatible Wii Shop Channel version, but that's kinda tricky.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Motto posted:

But you can only do that on the most recent system menu version, just like the eShop on the Wii U/3DS and PSN.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

May as well just buy a Wii U. :P

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But you can only do that on the most recent system menu version, just like the eShop on the Wii U/3DS and PSN.

You can technically just install the latest revision of the wii shop and the ios required to run it but if you screw that up well yeah that's not something you wanna screw up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the chances of Splatoon not selling extremely poorly even if it's good as hell

It's gonna bomb basically no matter what but oh well.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Help Im Alive posted:

Splatoon has been well-received and hyped up pretty much every single time anything in it has been shown off, so I think it'll sell pretty-well honestly!! Not as well as something established but better than most things.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I updated a Wii less than a month ago, the update servers should still be up. Are you sure your console is getting an internet connection?

Or maybe you installed some homebrew that blocks system updates and you forgot?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think Splatoon will sell poorly, but it will be a niche title that people will say is good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a new IP on a Nintendo console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I updated a Wii less than a month ago, the update servers should still be up. Are you sure your console is getting an internet connection?

Or maybe you installed some homebrew that blocks system updates and you forgot?

Internet connection test comes back as working just fine. I did install homebrew, but did a system restore to bring everything back to default and so that should have done the trick, but might not have.

• Locked thread