Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Stop posting cheap 944s you jerks, I want one! Always been my favorite Porsche, and just on the razors edge of pseudo obtainable. I know almost nothing about them, but gently caress I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
They're great cars if you like vacuum line hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Stop posting cheap 944s you jerks, I want one! Always been my favorite Porsche, and just on the razors edge of pseudo obtainable. I know almost nothing about them, but gently caress I want one.

http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/ghtI83w

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

944s seem like an amazing thing till you take into consideration that you are basically buying an older VW without the availability of parts. A lot of time and money is going to be wasted reversing stupid poo poo the PO did.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

?

It takes like an hour to replace every last vac hose with nice new silicone stuff so you don't have to worry about it again for like 10 years or more. There aren't that many.

Here, I've highlighted mine in red to make them easy to see:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

You might be confusing the 928?

To this day, I would really like a minty 968 :3:

I want a 928 too

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 14, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
944s are the tits but don't tell anybody that because I don't want prices to go up until I can get one :ohdear:

Did you know they have a rear transmission for better weight balance and handling.

I want a 928 as well but those tend to be in much worse shape for the price.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 14, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Did you know they have a rear transmission for better weight balance and handling.

51/49 weight distribution is a beautiful thing.

They also have a torque tube between the motor and trans to stiffen the whole thing up (like what they did on the C5 vettes starting in the 90s).

It is also make it a sonofabitch to get the transaxle out, which you need to do to replace the clutch. They have a much better assembly including a bell housing with a removable cover on the 968s that makes this not necessary. If I can ever get a wrecked 968 at the right price that assembly as well as the 6 speed manual is going in my car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

It is also make it a sonofabitch to get the transaxle out, which you need to do to replace the clutch. They have a much better assembly including a bell housing with a removable cover on the 968s that makes this not necessary. If I can ever get a wrecked 968 at the right price that assembly as well as the 6 speed manual is going in my car.

968s go for quite a bit more though. Even turbo 944s are getting higher. I just want a n/a late eighties (so I have the better interior) 944 5-speed as a rolling project.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tai-Pan posted:

99% done? On a scale of what, 1% to 1000%?

99% done used up I think, 1% left.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

944s are the tits but don't tell anybody that because I don't want prices to go up until I can get one :ohdear:

I want a 928 as well but those tend to be in much worse shape for the price.

Same here. Id even go for a 924S, not as desirable body with a real porsche motor. 928's are either outrageous in price or so far in shambles they are a lost cause/motor swap condition.

Who made the rear transaxle on those porsche 928 auto boxes? Though I rarely see any with a bad transaxle, it would be nice to know what kind of problems I could run into.

Edit: gently caress it, ill buy one in ratty condition. http://flatsixes.com/cars/for-sale-cars/porsche-928-v8-powered-street-rod-sale/

gently caress yes. :getin:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

obliviums posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4843018654.html

A 1982 Subaru GL Wagon with 82000 miles for 4800. It comes from Santa Cruz, if you couldn't guess by it being a rust-free manual station wagon. The combination of those rims + bushguard and the stance makes it look more rugged than the late model GL wagons.

Welp. I guess I am officially "old". My first car was a hand-me-down 1984 GL manual station wagon.
I guess they are okay cars, but I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would pay $4800 for one.
On one hand, you can fix that old-carbed boxer with a sledgehammer. On the other, its slow as molasses, the interior is poo poo and the AWD isn't super robust.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 14, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I just want a n/a late eighties (so I have the better interior) 944 5-speed as a rolling project.

Mine is an 85.5, the first of the "late" models. I have the interior but still have the wheel offset to run Fuchs. 86 is the same way, and the only and first-year turbo with the right wheel offset for that.

You know, if that kind of thing matters to you (it should: Fuchs are the one true 70s/80s Porsche wheel).

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who made the rear transaxle on those porsche 928 auto boxes?

Merc

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

obliviums posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4843018654.html

A 1982 Subaru GL Wagon with 82000 miles for 4800. It comes from Santa Cruz, if you couldn't guess by it being a rust-free manual station wagon. The combination of those rims + bushguard and the stance makes it look more rugged than the late model GL wagons.

Why not buy my 1978 GL Wagon 4WD? I'm about 2.5 hours south of Santa Cruz. Similar price, and a whole lot cooler!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4801206153.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Needs to have the oil cooler seals changed" is code for "has milkshake, probably a head because I was too cheap to replace the $200 fan relay and overheated it, but I'm gonna keep on thinking it's just the oil cooler."

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

slidebite posted:

Any desirability for a Land Rover Wolf? About 1.5 hours away from me and being auctioned by the Canadian Government. I know sweet FA about them.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=178957&lcn=324389&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos
[/b]
Starting at $3K which seems high to me, but I know nothing about these.

If it were about 7 model years older I could see it being worth a fair bit of money in the US, even in that condition. Otherwise, not really, unless there's demand for Defenders in Canada. (It's a militarized Defender pickup.)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Motronic posted:

"Needs to have the oil cooler seals changed" is code for "has milkshake, probably a head because I was too cheap to replace the $200 fan relay and overheated it, but I'm gonna keep on thinking it's just the oil cooler."

For everyone reading Motronics posts in Ron Swansons voice keep in mind that he has never seen Parks and Rec.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

At some point I'm gonna have to actually watch that show now.

I'm not sure how I'll feel about my avatar or myself after that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Its you, you are Ron Swanson, haha.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fart Pipe posted:

Its you, you are Ron Swanson, haha.

He really is. It's kind of incredible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tai-Pan posted:

I guess they are okay cars, but I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would pay $4800 for one.

I'm not going to lie if the interior was mint and there was 2 grand knocked off the price I would strongly consider buying this thing if it was near me.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

This looks sketchy as gently caress.

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/4836610472.html
6 year old car with a salvage title and no explanation. Previously Totaled/Stolen/Haunted/etc?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

SperginMcBadposter posted:

6 year old car with a salvage title and no explanation. Previously Totaled/Stolen/Haunted/etc?

No pictures of the passenger door.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

ask for the vin and google it, sometimes the old salvage auction ad comes up.

In most places, the inspection for rebuilt is pretty rigorous, and it doesn't take much to write off a modern car.

the plates match the state it's listed in, and the ad isn't posted in every state, so the sale is probably legit, but the car could be janky as gently caress.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Powershift posted:

In most places, the inspection for rebuilt is pretty rigorous, and it doesn't take much to write off a modern car.

the plates match the state it's listed in, and the ad isn't posted in every state, so the sale is probably legit, but the car could be janky as gently caress.

I would if I was seriously looking at buying one, but I'm too poor for one of those.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

In most places, the inspection for rebuilt is pretty rigorous,

dat hoodgap tho :-/

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Wheel drilling :frogsiren:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/ptd/4847476470.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I winced IRL at that picture. Someone never passed his statics class

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, hey, a new thing to have nightmares about. Thanks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
jesus loving christ :froggonk:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Some of those dual bolt pattern rims are already sketchy as gently caress. It must take a real class of dumbass to think you can do that in your backyard and it won't end in horrible death.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've seen this so many times with bmw wheels that I'm not even mad anymore

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A MIRACLE posted:

I winced IRL at that picture. Someone never passed his took a statics class

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
how the gently caress does that even work :psyduck:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Briefly.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Well, they do repairs as well, so it is a pretty good self sustaining business plan.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
You do realize that at least that picture of the "dual pattern" wheel is a photoshop, right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

Here in Texas the salvage title threshold is 100% of the ACV so that car had some big damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You do realize that at least that picture of the "dual pattern" wheel is a photoshop, right?

The issue is that the photoshop indicates on how they plan on drilling it. How that would work exactly I have no clue but I'm guessing they're not too worried about it as long as it fits the bolt pattern they want.