Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Question about SPERG: when a two-handed perk says "attacks with all weapons do X" does that mean ALL weapons, including one-handed weapons and bows? And if that's the case, will taking both the one-handed and two-handed mace perks mean that my attacks ignore 100% of armor, or 75%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember hearing somewhere that "ignore armor" bonuses are mostly worthless because most game enemies have crappy armor anyway and just have more and more health as their level goes up.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm not sure about the exact percentages but one of the big things in SPERG is how there are cross-skill perks that make it worth branching out across the skill tree.

For instance on my one-handed character I put at least 40 in two-handed to get all of the perks that affect all weapons.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I've always wanted to try Familiar Faces but I change my modding setup like every other time I launch the game so it's not very feasible(I don't stick with characters very long either!)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Question about SPERG: when a two-handed perk says "attacks with all weapons do X" does that mean ALL weapons, including one-handed weapons and bows? And if that's the case, will taking both the one-handed and two-handed mace perks mean that my attacks ignore 100% of armor, or 75%?

Anything that says "All weapons deal additional X% damage/speed/armor piercing" applies to all weapons (yes, even your fists).

Anyway, yeah, I'm trying to work things out on the OP. I'm thinking of scrapping the bit on the traditional XP systems, or at least making a link to the particular post, and using the second post as a basic "How the gently caress do I get from Vanilla Skyrim to Capn Beeb/Agents Are GO! levels of insanity" kind of deal.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Morrowind question: is there a mod that nearly or completely removes the dice-roll combat system or would I just be better off playing Morroblivion?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Entropic posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that "ignore armor" bonuses are mostly worthless because most game enemies have crappy armor anyway and just have more and more health as their level goes up.

Yep. Only NPCs that use regular armor have any armor at all and they only have non-upgraded, mostly low material armor. And nearly all NPCs have low skill levels and no armor perks so they are lucky if they have 20 armor all told. Draugr and all non-humanoid enemies pretty muh always have 0 armor. Bethesda just gives poo poo tons of of HP to make up for it. Sometimes they get -x% damage from the player perk too but that's less common in skyrim than the fallouts and maybe oblivion. Similarly dangerous high end enemies have crap offense skills, few perks, and mostly bad weapons so they sometimes get +x% damage dealt to the player to make them actually able to be any threat. Again less common in skyrim but not because they solved the problem but instead they seem happy to let you steamroll everything more than in the fallouts.

I've kind of dreamed of making a massive overhaul mod that gives level and class appropriate skills, perks, items, and enchantments to all the leveled NPCs as well as trying to redo the leveled enemies system where you can get 10 harmless bandits and then a murderous truck because he spawned 20 levels higher on the die roll. Sadly I'm super lazy and already have plenty of mods to procrastinate about.

Woolie Wool posted:

Morrowind question: is there a mod that nearly or completely removes the dice-roll combat system or would I just be better off playing Morroblivion?

I think there is. Try asking the Morrowind thread. Its not dead.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

you're better off not being a loving lame bitch, idiot.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Has anyone tried out Straylight ENB? I only gave it a go for a few minutes, but it looks and runs nice.

Tell me interesting things lizard man ;-*

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Which of Trainwiz's dungeon/quest mods are worth playing through? Aethernautics is the only one mentioned in the OP I think.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I hate that when I'm mashing to steal all the plates from a table, sometimes I mouse downwards and accidentally sit. Is there a mod that just removes the "sit" button from benches and chairs? I tried Googling it, but got buried under "sit anywhere" and various Hearthfire mods. gently caress sitting.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Seashell Salesman posted:

Which of Trainwiz's dungeon/quest mods are worth playing through? Aethernautics is the only one mentioned in the OP I think.

All of them, IMHO. Lost Wonders of Mzark is also in the OP, also quite good (the heads are false), Brhuce Hammar: Legacy is his follower mod with several rather extensive quests, and The Wheels of Lull is loving amazing.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What is the best mod for unfucking the staff of magus?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

What is the best mod for unfucking the staff of magus?

What do you want it to do/not do?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Xavier434 posted:

What do you want it to do/not do?

It doesn't do what it says; it just steals magicka even when there is none and it should switch to health. This was the first hit on google, seems fine?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

a cow posted:

It doesn't do what it says; it just steals magicka even when there is none and it should switch to health. This was the first hit on google, seems fine?

Interesting. I wonder if that mod also updates the spell that you learn from using the staff often through SPERG's perks.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Xavier434 posted:

Interesting. I wonder if that mod also updates the spell that you learn from using the staff often through SPERG's perks.

I just tested - unfortunately it doesn't. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for anyone with the construction set to include the spell as well as the enchant.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Gonna do a trip report on this mod soon. Looks well put together and I love me some crossbows.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

a cow posted:

I just tested - unfortunately it doesn't. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for anyone with the construction set to include the spell as well as the enchant.

Yeah I figured as much. I don't know how SPERG works, but my guess is that it includes a compilation of new spells where each is associated with a staff and get unlocked. That mod changes the staff. It doesn't change the spell that SPERG includes because how could it unless it specifically adds SPERG support.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I want to use ENB, but it makes spell graphics invisible (no fireball in hand, no lightning bolt, etc). This is without any preset. Is there any way to fix that? Is there a specific preset that's good and won't result in that?

E: I'm using Apocalypse, but the problem is on all spells, it seems. I can see secondary effects - a heat shimmer, particles, what have you - but the spell projectile itself is invisible.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 14, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've never had this problem, do you have any spell mods?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Davoren posted:

Yeah, the main thing I'm trying to achieve is to effectively have a new character, but one who doesn't have to climb to high hrothgar for the hundredth time, or go to the soul cairn again because whoops vampires are killing everything.

Edit: Yeah the more I look into this the more problems I anticipate, I think I'll look into spicing up the endgame rather than risk breaking something by trying to go backwards, thanks for your input guys!

We actually discussed this just recently. Either install "Another start" mod, or start ONE new character, get to High Hrothgar, and then make a save. Next time you want a new character, load up the save, and then punch in

showracemenu

and you can recreate your character. Now your game starts at high hrothgar!

Alternatively alternatively, player.setlevel 1 and showracemenu may actually do what you want to your high level character. You made it sound like you just wanted to reset your world scaling, and player.setlevel 1 would do that, but showracemenu will take away your hp, magicka, and stamina upgrades. For skills it may reset them, or else you can manually reset them using console commands. Easy.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an new super performance ENB kit like Zoners High Performance ENB except using the newer versions of the ENB dlls and features?
I run an old AMD 5870 and it has severe limitations in terms of Skyrim SSAO, most of the other ENB kits are too powerful for my inadequate computer.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

All of them, IMHO. Lost Wonders of Mzark is also in the OP, also quite good (the heads are false), Brhuce Hammar: Legacy is his follower mod with several rather extensive quests, and The Wheels of Lull is loving amazing.

On a whim I've just installed all of them. What sorts of neato weapons and spells do they offer, such that I can make a character that can make the best use of the fun stuff?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can I use SPERG with any of the stealth overhauls like Stealth Skills rebalanced or Path of Shadows?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

Can I use SPERG with any of the stealth overhauls like Stealth Skills rebalanced or Path of Shadows?

Yes, just make sure that SSR or PoS load AFTER SPERG so their modified perk trees show, and then disable the appropriate perk trees from SPERG.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I think the two biggest quality of life changes for me have been the real time clock on loading screens (no more 'oh hey I had to leave ten minutes ago!') and the ini tweak to make it so arrows and bolts shoot directly at where you're aiming so you have to aim above targets at range instead of below them.

code:
[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
(bolts are for dg only obviously)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Stealth Skills Rebalanced actually has a SPERGified version on the Nexus which is pretty good.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Gyshall posted:

Stealth Skills Rebalanced actually has a SPERGified version on the Nexus which is pretty good.

I read up on this in the SSR comments, it seems like it's out of date, or only applies to an old version of SPERG?

The reason I asked about autoperks earlier is because ideally, there'd be a way to get the best of both worlds. I wonder if it's easy enough to just modify the SSR trees so that some perks (analogous to those in SPERG) are automatically added.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Chief Savage Man posted:

I think the two biggest quality of life changes for me have been the real time clock on loading screens (no more 'oh hey I had to leave ten minutes ago!') and the ini tweak to make it so arrows and bolts shoot directly at where you're aiming so you have to aim above targets at range instead of below them.

code:
[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f1PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PBoltTiltUpAngle=0.7
(bolts are for dg only obviously)

Which ini file do these changes belong in?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
skyrim.ini

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

We actually discussed this just recently. Either install "Another start" mod, or start ONE new character, get to High Hrothgar, and then make a save. Next time you want a new character, load up the save, and then punch in

showracemenu

and you can recreate your character. Now your game starts at high hrothgar!

Alternatively alternatively, player.setlevel 1 and showracemenu may actually do what you want to your high level character. You made it sound like you just wanted to reset your world scaling, and player.setlevel 1 would do that, but showracemenu will take away your hp, magicka, and stamina upgrades. For skills it may reset them, or else you can manually reset them using console commands. Easy.

Doing any of these things will probably gently caress your game right the hell up. And I thought changing your race after character generation was a big no-no?

Just install Skyrim Unbound.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think I started to figure it out before I got sidetracked with familiar faces, sperg has the option to refund auto perks as well as chosen ones, so that sorts out that part of it. There is no console command to remove those perk points, but sperg seems to have another setting to get rid of them. I didn't do that, but I did manually set all skills to 15 with the console, and changed my health/magicka/stamina the same way. I then set my level to one, but for some reason it put me up to level 4 right away, maybe it tracked the 15 points in each skill? Either that it it was because I hadn't addressed those extra perk points yet. I may look into it again, but as I said familiar faces is giving me a fresh start without having to say goodbye to old characters. Thanks for your continued input guys!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

Which ini file do these changes belong in?

Please Note: If you use Mod Organizer (which you should be using), make sure you put them in your current MO profile's Skyrim.ini file

Simply head to your Mod Organizer Folder -> Profiles -> [Insert Current Profile Name Here] -> Skyrim.ini

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Scyantific posted:

Please Note: If you use Mod Organizer (which you should be using), make sure you put them in your current MO profile's Skyrim.ini file

Simply head to your Mod Organizer Folder -> Profiles -> [Insert Current Profile Name Here] -> Skyrim.ini

Yup! I had to learn that the hard way some time ago. This is another one of those details which would be really useful to have in the OP since modifying ini files is so common.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, it took me forever to figure out how to get the uncapper to work with Mod Organizer and SPERG to turn on "1 perk every second level" and I think it was because of that.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Changing your race with showracemenu wipes your perks and other bonuses, but if you're starting a character and skill trees from scratch anyway you're not really losing anything in the process.

I really like the alternate start mod, it has been nice to start off if different places in the world, especially with things like Realistic Needs and Frostfall making those first couple of hours by far the most interesting in the game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fina posted:

I really like the alternate start mod, it has been nice to start off if different places in the world, especially with things like Realistic Needs and Frostfall making those first couple of hours by far the most interesting in the game.

This is a blessing and a curse. Starting as a Morrowind refugee in Windhelm, having to steal some gear from the place I spawned in, and then spending the next hour staying one step ahead of the hired thug death squad was way more gripping and fun than anything that came after the point where I was strong enough to take them down.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

This is a blessing and a curse. Starting as a Morrowind refugee in Windhelm, having to steal some gear from the place I spawned in, and then spending the next hour staying one step ahead of the hired thug death squad was way more gripping and fun than anything that came after the point where I was strong enough to take them down.

The small stories you make for yourself are always much more fun than most of what the vanilla game offers.

My problem with coming back to Skyrim is that I restarted so many times, I can't get enjoyment from the first hours of the main quest and faction quests any more and usually give up :v: And then I realized it's because I force myself to do it right from the start in spite of letting it flow and just enjoying the world. I made it through Dawnguard only twice, Dragonborn, once and I didn't touch Hearthfire's features.

Starting in Blackreach remains my favourite: you can get food, warmth, water, everything you need for Needs and Frostfall. My most fun play-through started with me trying to be strong enough to beat everything in Blackreach before leaving it. I gave myself mid-range spells after a while because flames and raise dead only get you so far but it was one hell of a challenge.

On topic: do you guys know if the UNDEATH quest still breaks a lot of things? The posts and forum thread on TESN seem to only talk about a random camera bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Schrodingers cat posted:

The small stories you make for yourself are always much more fun than most of what the vanilla game offers.

Well, it's not just a matter of story. Everything was so threatening (at one point I had to fake-out a bunch of frost trolls by using the landscape and well-timed sprinting), and I could never stay in one place too long or even sleep because I could wake up to some guys sent to teach my character the last lesson he'll ever get. Once I had a decent set of gear this stopped being a problem.

• Locked thread