Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

alg posted:

These are inexpensive but they slip: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/hcd96669.html

Out of stock. Sucks because I liked that image on it.

The Sisko posted:

Frontline Gaming have a FAT mat specifically for X-wing that runs $55.

Ya right now it's been the between this, a DS'tone California Nebula mat, and a big square of glittery felt used as a mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is this too greedy? I totally love the A-wing and just got my second.

99 points

PILOTS

Tycho Celchu (32)
A-Wing (26), Proton Rockets (3), Push the Limit (3)

Jake Farrell (30)
A-Wing (24), Proton Rockets (3), Push the Limit (3)

Biggs Darklighter (37)
X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Proton Torpedoes (4), Shield Upgrade (4)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What's the idea behind having Biggs in that list? Ideally if you are running A-Wings, you want to position them so that there isn't much point in Biggs drawing firepower away, because you are either arc-dodging with the As or you have them in a position where you aren't going to make them stick around with Biggs.

Also, if you are going for Procket A-Wings, I think VI is really important to be able to get into the position. You probably get more utility with Jake/Tycho both getting PtL and VI than just sticking a proton torpedo on Biggs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tekopo posted:

What's the idea behind having Biggs in that list? Ideally if you are running A-Wings, you want to position them so that there isn't much point in Biggs drawing firepower away, because you are either arc-dodging with the As or you have them in a position where you aren't going to make them stick around with Biggs.

Also, if you are going for Procket A-Wings, I think VI is really important to be able to get into the position. You probably get more utility with Jake/Tycho both getting PtL and VI than just sticking a proton torpedo on Biggs.

Mostly down to limitations on what I own. I don't own Veteran instincts, and I really like Jake plus ptl because of the amount of ground he can cover in one turn. The only other X-wing pilot I own is Luke, or I have a B-wing but flying that + two A-Wings seemed really dumb. With Biggs I was thinking he could act as an anchor for the A-wings to flee back to if they take too much fire, rather than someone I want soaking attacks every turn.

The torpedoes were just to fill points.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

I have a B-wing but flying that + two A-Wings seemed really dumb.

Why?

B-wings are punchy and durable and have lots of 1/2 manoeuvres that let them dogfight fairly well at close range, especially if you have Advanced Sensors. They work well alongside arc dodgers because they're a credible threat - drive them up the middle while the As go for the flanks, and you either have all the space you need to fly your As or the enemy takes fire from the B.

I'd absolutely take a B-wing over wasting 37 points on an X-wing. For 37 points you could take a Blue with Advanced Sensors and a Bandit Z-95, or take Ibtisam with HLC and Advanced Sensors for 38.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 13, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Unless you are playing in a tournament, I don't really see the issue with using proxy for the VIs. As for Biggs, I don't feel like there are many situations in which his special is going to be useful. I'd rather fly wedge and drop the proton torpedoes, because Wedge is gonna be just as survivable as Biggs in that setup, but will do much more in terms of offence than Biggs can hope to do.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah Biggs isn't going to help that squad much. You're handicapping your A-wings to Bigg's weak rear end dial. Your alpha strike is decent but you want to get as much value out of your A-wings as you can once the rockets are gone. Something that soaks dmg would be a better use of those 37 points. Something like:

Tycho
Chardaan refit
PTL

Jake Farrell
A-wing Test Pilot
PTL
VI
Proton Rockets

Wild Space Fringer
Outrider
HLC

You lose one rocket but get a HLC. They're either going to chase the outrider and eat a PR or engage Jake and let you snipe them with with your HLC.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Low PS Outriders/HLC just dont work. You get doughnut holed too easily and there is little way to prevent it and losing a substantial part of your firepower on that never really seemed a good option for me.

I think the best solution is to just have MORE alpha strike :q:

100 points

PILOTS

Jake Farrell (31)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Push the Limit (3)

Tycho Celchu (33)
A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Push the Limit (3)

Corran Horn (36)
E-Wing (35), Veteran Instincts (1)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Yeah the problem is I have none of this stuff, so I am trying to build with what I have. And it is for a tourney at the end of the month which means I can't proxy anything.

Maybe I will just go with a tie swarm.

(If I could get my hands on an E-wing I would totally do this)

Tekopo posted:

Corran Horn (36)
E-Wing (35), Veteran Instincts (1)

Edit:

Are you joking?? I am not buying a falcon or slave 1 just for 1 card! Never mind 3!!! I have no interest in the big ships at all. I like dogfighting not slowly puttering around with a big whale.

I will just run a Tie-Swarm.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well yeah, that's always been the issue with X-Wing, especially for competitive play, where you can't proxy stuff. It is unfortunate to say that if you want to run certain lists in tournaments, you are forced to buy certain expansions. To be able to run soontir properly, for example, you need to buy both the TIE Interceptor expansion AND either Imperial Aces or the A-Wing expansion. I can't run certain Fat Han lists myself because I don't have access to C-3PO/R2-D2 (Crew), unless I ask the one friend I have that actually has the Tantive IV if I can borrow his card :shrug:

Also most big ships aren't whales at all, that's just the shuttle :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You should buy a Falcon and a Slave 1 because they're really good, fast, manoeuvrable and come with a ton of great cards.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'm probably ~$100-120 deep into X-wing, and have a decent collection. That'd be enough to barely field 2 units of stormtroopers with a command squad, which is one of the smallest legal armies out there for 40k. :negative:

Stay on target!!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You should buy a Falcon and a Slave 1 because they're really good, fast, manoeuvrable and come with a ton of great cards.

It would be such a waste of money for me because they would be hanger queens I would never use. He is my alternative list for the tourney then:

100 points

PILOTS

Howlrunner (20)
TIE Fighter (18), Swarm Tactics (2)

Academy Pilot (12) x 2

Soontir Fel (30)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3)

Carnor Jax (26)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Phrosphor posted:

Yeah the problem is I have none of this stuff, so I am trying to build with what I have. And it is for a tourney at the end of the month which means I can't proxy anything.

Maybe I will just go with a tie swarm.

(If I could get my hands on an E-wing I would totally do this)

Edit:

Are you joking?? I am not buying a falcon or slave 1 just for 1 card! Never mind 3!!! I have no interest in the big ships at all. I like dogfighting not slowly puttering around with a big whale.

I will just run a Tie-Swarm.

I won't have anyone disparaging the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. Watch your mouth kid, or you will find yourself floating home.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

It would be such a waste of money for me because they would be hanger queens I would never use. He is my alternative list for the tourney then:

Never run Interceptors without Push the Limit! I also probably wouldn't run two Inties with just three TIEs to anchor them. I'd ditch Jax and Swarm Tactics, take two more Academies, and maybe give Soontir a Hull or Shield Upgrade since you don't have Stealth Device.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
A list I've had some success with has been

[UNNAMED SQUADRON]
Click to change squadron details

99 points

PILOTS

Howlrunner (23)
TIE Fighter (18), Swarm Tactics (2), Stealth Device (3)

Mauler Mithel (19)
TIE Fighter (17), Swarm Tactics (2)

Academy Pilot (12) x 2

Soontir Fel (33)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

It's basically just a mini swarm with Soontir as flanker but the swarm tactics on howlrunner and mauler let me use the two academy pilots to block higher PS ships due to their low PS but they get to shoot at PS 7 and 8. It works pretty well and I think I've only lost 2 times out of about 8-10 I've flown it; one of those times was against somebody who basically changed his list to specifically counter it after I beat him.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Okay I want to try this game out so I bought a core set, an E-Wing, and a Defender. Hope that's enough for a few good games!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

This game is so addicting. I've been playing for about a week and I'm already $150 in the hole. Can't stop buying plastic ships. :shepspends:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Partial Octopus posted:

This game is so addicting. I've been playing for about a week and I'm already $150 in the hole. Can't stop buying plastic ships. :shepspends:

In the same boat here buddy :shepspends: . I just got the Decimator on Sunday and I'm trying to decide whether to get the Phantom or Defender because they both look and sound cool to play.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I picked up the phantom. Cloaking sounded cool and apparently it's busted as hell. Is the defender any good?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The Defender is pretty drat solid. With those 3s down the line it can really take some fire and return as well. The White K-turn is fun and when you're in a situation where you need it, it's great. I'm a huge Rexler Brath fan, with the HLC. The biggest problem with the Defender in my opinion is the cost. It's really easy to run out of points to use pretty quick.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

Okay I want to try this game out so I bought a core set, an E-Wing, and a Defender. Hope that's enough for a few good games!

That should be good for some games around the 60 point mark. Defenders are slightly more expensive than E-Wings, but this makes up for how an X-Wing can be more expensive than two TIE Fighters.

With the cards and ships you have now, here are a couple of lists you can use that will at least get you a place to start.

Rebel Starter List

Luke Skywalker, X-Wing (28)
R2-D2 (4)

Knave Squadron Pilot, E-Wing (27)
R2 Astromech (1)

Total: 60

Imperial Starter List

Mauler Mithel, TIE Fighter (17)
Determination (1)

Academy Pilot, TIE Fighter (12)

Delta Squadron Pilot, TIE Defender (30)

Total: 60

Those are both pretty basic ways to use the ships you've got. I'll also post a couple other lists below that let you start getting into the more complex stuff. They're 80 points instead of 60 points.

Rebel Starter List Mk II

Luke Skywalker, X-Wing (28)
R2-D2 (4)
Marksmanship (3)

Corran Horn, E-Wing (35)
R7-T1 (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Outmaneuver (3)

Total: 79

[url=http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/173961/imperial-starter-mk-ii]Imperial Starter List Mk II[url]

Rexler Brath, TIE Defender (37)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
Outmaneuver (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Mauler Mithel, TIE Fighter (17)
Predator (3)

Night Beast, TIE Fighter (15)

Total: 79

Absolutely try branching out and fiddling with lists and builds on your own. That's half the fun!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Partial Octopus posted:

I picked up the phantom. Cloaking sounded cool and apparently it's busted as hell. Is the defender any good?

I got both :shepicide:.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I personally prefer the Defender. Cloaking is fun and all, but I prefer bringing the only energy fighter in the game.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

When using Fire-Control System can you use the target lock on the attacks that triggered the effect?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Partial Octopus posted:

When using Fire-Control System can you use the target lock on the attacks that triggered the effect?

Nope

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Why is that? I using target lock an action?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Partial Octopus posted:

Why is that? I using target lock an action?

It happens after the attack resolves. If it happened when you declared an attack you'd be able to use it immediately.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Strobe posted:

It happens after the attack resolves. If it happened when you declared an attack you'd be able to use it immediately.

Got it. Thanks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Alright, I have a core set, a yt2400, two z95s. What do I do now?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Play the game against someone.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

bunnyofdoom posted:

Leebo with Determination, Outrider title, and HLC, 2 Bandits and Luke. Or drop Luke to a Rookie and turn a Bandit to Lt. Blount with Ion Pulse missiles or something similar.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
So I'm heading off to a 32pt 1v1 single ship tournament tomorrow night, someone talk me out of running Tycho

Tycho Celchu (26)
Lone Wolf (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 32

Re-rolls for attack & defence, 2 actions every turn and the hilarity of just stacking stress tokens up and not caring along with being able to move quick and arc dodge.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Strobe posted:

However, for the same reason, if you have Gunner (or Crew Luke Skywalker) and miss with the first attack, you can use it on the second one.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Strobe posted:

That's the kind of reasoning that makes Colonel Vessery's pilot ability sing.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

KTS posted:

So I'm heading off to a 32pt 1v1 single ship tournament tomorrow night, someone talk me out of running Tycho

Tycho Celchu (26)
Lone Wolf (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 32

Re-rolls for attack & defence, 2 actions every turn and the hilarity of just stacking stress tokens up and not caring along with being able to move quick and arc dodge.

I would run a sigma squad pilot with advanced cloak and push the limit, but im just plain crazy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I jumped into this game and now have: x2 core sets, x1 z-95, x1 tie

On its way: x1 falcon, x1 firespray, x1 rebel aces, x1 imp aces, x1 xwing, x2 tie, x1 tie int, x1 tie adv

I'm thinking of stopping by my LGS and picking up a b-wing, the lambda and the outrider (since this is all they have available). Good idea or bad idea or just whatever, shut up and buy?

edit: actually now that I have it all typed out I'm thinking of getting one more tie to make it an even 8 in the swarm..

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You don't need the extra tie. Howl runner is too good. You should also play with your armies a bit to see if you'd even enjoy playing with the intended ships. The lambda is notoriously polarizing as an anchor ship, especially now that the decimator exists.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I believe you mean Fat X-Wing. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Chill la Chill posted:

play with your armies a bit to see if you'd even enjoy playing with the

AndyElusive posted:

I jumped into this game and now have: x2 core sets, x1 z-95, x1 tie

On its way: x1 falcon, x1 firespray, x1 rebel aces, x1 imp aces, x1 xwing, x2 tie, x1 tie int, x1 tie adv

I'm thinking of stopping by my LGS and picking up a b-wing, the lambda and the outrider (since this is all they have available). Good idea or bad idea or just whatever, shut up and buy?

edit: actually now that I have it all typed out I'm thinking of getting one more tie to make it an even 8 in the swarm..

Play with what you've got so far. With this game it's way to easy to splurge on ships, and you've bought quite a bit already. Once you've played around with various lists, you'll appreciate what your missing. From what you've listed it doesn't look like your missing anything major.

• Locked thread