Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
What's the Big 12?

E: More like the Little 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Mark Dantonio should start slowly sneaking finely ground glass into Urban Meyer's meals

But who's gonna keep Schillinger in line when Meyer is gone?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If TCU or Baylor went to the playoffs instead of Ohio State, we're looking at Alabama vs. Oregon again.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

NippleFloss posted:

Wisconsin's ranking is a loving joke, they lost to LSU and barely beat Auburn which means they should probably be ranked in the 20s, if at all.
They fail both the "has good wins" and "doesn't have bad losses" criteria of deserving their ranking.

OSU beat one good team before the playoffs, MSU.

Don't forget Northwestern...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Komet posted:

If TCU or Baylor went to the playoffs instead of Ohio State, we're looking at Alabama vs. Oregon again.

TCU would have loving clowned Oregon, Alabama or FSU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

The dumbest part is the Big XII fans are dumping on the team that won it all by obliterating their last three opponents. gently caress, if you're going to dump on somebody, dump on the committee for putting FSU in, when they were clearly just more lucky than good.

At the end of the day, FSU had been undefeated for 2 seasons and was the reigning champ. Staying unbeaten last year (granted, even with some incredibly fortunate wins) guaranteed they were gonna make the playoffs.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Mark Dantonio should start slowly sneaking finely ground glass into Urban Meyer's meals

So, sand?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Idk, however they did it in Oz.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Idk, however they did it in Oz.

Who's Beecher? Wannstedt?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
UAB is the super-aging drug plot line.

gone, buried, forgotten.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I've always thought that, all things being equal, that who you beat is way more important than who you lose to.

You can lose a game in a really flukey way, but it's a lot harder to win more than one game against good teams unless you're actually that good.

People say, "But Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech" and I recall how horrible "best loss" is as a metric. Remember that Notre Dame used that metric to pretend they weren't going to get killed by a good Ohio State team the year of the Bush Push.

EDIT: I loving hate this shitass run-on sentence, but it stays.
EDIT 2: No, it doesn't.

Beforehand fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 14, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Spacemonkey57 posted:

TCU can join the club with other deserving one loss teams that were shut out in favor of another one loss team. That's happened to pretty much every decent P5 team other than Alabama.

This is completely unfair. A lot of Alabama's championships come from years where despite being the best team we were unfairly locked out of the championship game despite only losing like 3 games in the SEC

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hey remember when LSU lost twice in 07 to unranked teams in overtime and still got a chance to win a title? So whatever losses don't matter if you can prop them up with enough "quality victories" and a good name brand.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Hey remember when LSU lost twice in 07 to unranked teams in overtime and still got a chance to win a title? So whatever losses don't matter if you can prop them up with enough "quality victories" and a good name brand.

In terms of W/L the only team that was a better option to face OSU was an undefeated Hawaii who had the 3rd worst SOS in the country. It wasn't just quality victories, it was an odd year where no other team had a better record. Who would you have put into that game over LSU? Hawaii? Of the 2 loss teams, LSU had the best resume and went into the game.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

go3 posted:

Not Ohio State though. :smugdog:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

go3 posted:

I mean, TCU lost to Baylor, Baylor also lost, the Big 12 doesn't have a proper tiebreaker to determine these sorts of situations anymore, because they don't have a championship game and their old tiebreaker was highest ranked in the BCS. And they refused to declare head to head as the deciding factor in the event of a tie of two highest ranked teams. And the selection committee isn't ok with co-champions. So I guess we'll just never know how TCU could have done in the playoff! Keep fantasizing though. Maybe next year. Hope for an eight team playoff, maybe there'll be an autobid for the Big 12 Actually 10 Though then!

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

go3 posted:

even baylor could've won, especially against alabama (no secondary, sucks, from lovely conference) or oregon (baylor/tcu clone with worse/similar defense) or fsu (poo poo team from poo poo conference). baylor basically did win. in fact they are champiuons. but even if theyre not they barely lost to a good team and could've beaten any team there if the winds have blown differently or if the refs decided not to call a foul on the runner because he was a little too rough to the weakling defense while protecting the ball, baylor bitch

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

anne frank fanfic posted:

even baylor could've won, especially against alabama (no secondary, sucks, from lovely conference) or oregon (baylor/tcu clone with worse/similar defense) or fsu (poo poo team from poo poo conference). baylor basically did win. in fact they are champiuons. but even if theyre not they barely lost to a good team and could've beaten any team there if the winds have blown differently or if the refs decided not to call a foul on the runner because he was a little too rough to the weakling defense while protecting the ball, baylor bitch

Can we stop saying that Alabama was in a poo poo conference. You can say it was in a poo poo division, afterall the SEC East was undefeated in bowl games. Don't know why you all are hung up on the west so much when the East is clearly carrying the conference and its brand.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dak Prescott announces he's coming back, Marcus Mariota announces he's gone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

swickles posted:

Can we stop saying that Alabama was in a poo poo conference. You can say it was in a poo poo division, afterall the SEC East was undefeated in bowl games. Don't know why you all are hung up on the west so much when the East is clearly carrying the conference and its brand.
Actually all of the SEC East and West schools secretly switched jerseys for bowl season to see if anyone would notice. They did.

I think that was actually South Carolina playing Ohio State.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Mississippi State lost 3 embarrassing games and are still over-ranked pretenders, and Mariotta wasted a year chasing a natty instead of getting paid and all he got was a stupid heisman that will make everyone call him a bigger bust

UAB should be declared national champions since they're the only team with a reason for being locked out of the playoffs that wasn't their team's fault. Dragons, bitch.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Actually all of the SEC East and West schools secretly switched jerseys for bowl season to see if anyone would notice. They did.

I think that was actually South Carolina playing Ohio State.

If it was South Carolina Ohio State would have found a way to lose, that's what Ohio State does vs. South Carolina (and also Clemson apparently).

The VT loss being the worst loss by a national champion thing comes with the huge caveat that the playoff is the only thing that made it possible for a team with a loss that bad to even play for a national championship. In the past they would have ended up #2 at best.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

swickles posted:

The East also by far had the harder OOC schedule during the season. They played 7 teams from power 5 conferences, 6 of whom were ranked (with UGA playing 2 of them themselves). West played 4, 2 of whom were ranked.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

swickles posted:

Because the SEC is a garbage conference for garbage people and every team is bad and terrible and any Big/Pac-XII/12 team could shithouse every SEC team because they are good conferences and not frauds like the SEC, and in fact the SEC is lucky to even be considered D-IA now considering how abysmal they are for being huge stinky losers. Fact.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SEC more like Sunbelt Easymode Conference

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Beforehand posted:

People say, "But Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech" and I recall how horrible "best loss" is as a metric. Remember that Notre Dame used that metric to pretend they weren't going to get killed by a good Ohio State team the year of the Bush Push.

EDIT: I loving hate this shitass run-on sentence, but it stays.
EDIT 2: No, it doesn't.

I agree with your overall point, best loss is a stupid metric.

However, Ohio State didn't kill Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. It was a 7 point game until Antonio Pittman broke off a huge run to seal it with a few minutes left. Don't forget that a Tom Zibikowski fumble return for a TD was called back after instant replay ruled that Anthony Gonzalez didn't maintain possession long enough for it to be a fumble and ruled it incomplete. That would have completely changed the game. The better team won that day, but I was at that game and get really annoyed when people pretend it was a blowout. It was a really close, good game for like 3.5 quarters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The VT loss being the worst loss by a national champion thing comes with the huge caveat that the playoff is the only thing that made it possible for a team with a loss that bad to even play for a national championship. In the past they would have ended up #2 at best.

Yeah they mention that at the end. Last year, this would have likely sent them to the Rose Bowl against Oregon while FSU played Bama.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

WSU finally hired a defensive coordinator. allegedly

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2015/1/14/7546975/alex-grinch-wsu-football-defensive-coordinator

quote:

The wait for a defensive coordinator at Washington State looks like it's over after a month and a half as FootballScoop.com is reporting WSU is hiring Missouri safeties coach Alex Grinch as its defensive coordinator.

WSU has not issued an official confirmation, but FoxSports.com's Bruce Feldman said Mike Leach confirmed the hire.

Grinch has spent the last three seasons at Mizzou coaching safeties and spent the seven seasons before that coaching the secondary at Wyoming and New Hampshire in addition to be a recruiting coordinator during his time with the Wildcats. If you were hoping for a "young and hungry" guy, he certainly fits the mold: he's in his mid-30s and FootballScoop reports he's a great recruiter.

There's a catch though: Grinch has never been a defensive coordinator before. We aren't sure whether Grinch prefers a 4-3, a 3-4, etc. but I'm sure it's something that will be addressed pretty early on. What he'll do defensively is a complete unknown.

This is certainly in sharp contrast to the other guys who were presumed to be targes, such as Manny Diaz and Clancy Pendergast, who has about as much experience as you could ask for. Grinch has the reputation of being a great recruiter and he seems to be a good safeties/secondary coach, something I'm sure played well with Leach, who is well aware of the pile of young defensive backs on his roster.

Grinch's inexperience certainly doesn't mean he can't be successful, and we probably won't be able to pass judgement on that until at least about a third of the way through next season. That's what's leaving me uneasy. This is a really important year for WSU to take a step forward and entrusting the defense to someone who has zero experience running one is scary.

But Grinch gets a defense that has some talent up front, a fairly deep linebacking core and a defensive secondary that's begging for a really good coach which he seems to be. We'll have to do a lot of waiting and seeing on Grinch but fingers crossed he's everything Mike Leach wants him to be.

uhhhhhhhh :geno: yeah. yeah, this is going to work out. definitely. mizzou fans please give me some reason to believe this won't be an unmitigated disaster of a hire

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Well the last Mizzou safeties coach who left for a DC gig was Barry Odom, so there you go!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

swickles posted:

In terms of W/L the only team that was a better option to face OSU was an undefeated Hawaii who had the 3rd worst SOS in the country. It wasn't just quality victories, it was an odd year where no other team had a better record. Who would you have put into that game over LSU? Hawaii? Of the 2 loss teams, LSU had the best resume and went into the game.

I think it's p obvious who I think should have gone in based on my avatar. VT had 2 losses to the #2 teams in the country at the time, avenged the BC loss in the ACCCG. Our losses were subjectively better, came earlier in the season, and we avenged one of them in a rematch. So yeah I think we should have gotten our shot over a team that couldn't put away Kentucky & Arkansas with no QB. Ignoring the egg we laid in the OB (which I think we would have prepped for differently had it been a BCS title game), at the end of the season I think we had a better resume. gently caress that SEC BIAS.

My point was really just trying to back up that losses eventually matter less than the wins you make over the season when coupled with some brand recognition. The allure of LSU or OSU as a brand with history helps them overcome what should otherwise be "impossible to overcome" losses.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 14, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Well the last Mizzou safeties coach who left for a DC gig was Barry Odom, so there you go!

*searches Barry Odom on wikipedia*

*no such page exists*

hmm

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

JT Jag posted:

I mean, TCU lost to Baylor, Baylor also lost, the Big 12 doesn't have a proper tiebreaker to determine these sorts of situations anymore, because they don't have a championship game and their old tiebreaker was highest ranked in the BCS. And they refused to declare head to head as the deciding factor in the event of a tie of two highest ranked teams. And the selection committee isn't ok with co-champions. So I guess we'll just never know how TCU could have done in the playoff! Keep fantasizing though. Maybe next year. Hope for an eight team playoff, maybe there'll be an autobid for the Big 12 Actually 10 Though then!

Baylor had the official tiebreaker but the official tiebreaker was irrelevant vis a vis the playoffs.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He was the guy who made Memphis have a rad defense out of nowhere and now he's the new DC at Mizzou.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think it's p obvious who I think should have gone in based on my avatar. VT had 2 losses to the #2 teams in the country at the time, avenged the BC loss in the ACCCG. Our losses were subjectively better, came earlier in the season, and we avenged one of them in a rematch. So yeah I think we should have gotten our shot over a team that couldn't put away Kentucky & Arkansas with no QB. Ignoring the egg we laid in the OB (which I think we would have prepped for differently had it been a BCS title game), at the end of the season I think we had a better resume. gently caress that SEC BIAS.

My point was really just trying to back up that losses eventually matter less than the wins you make over the season when coupled with some brand recognition. The allure of LSU or OSU as a brand with history helps them overcome what should otherwise be "impossible to overcome" losses.

Yeah, Alabama would have beaten Utah and Oklahoma in a beatdown had it been for the title. /kentucky was admittedly a bad loss, but losing to the best RB in college football and a really good offense wasn't as egregious as you make it seem. LSU still had solid wins over some very good teams. Virginia Tech's losses were worse, which leads back to the age old argument of which is better: good losses vs. bad wins.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

swickles posted:

which leads back to the age old argument of which is better: good losses vs. bad wins.

So would you rather have Charlie Weis at Notre Dame or Bo Pelini at Nebraska?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Both of LSUs losses were in triple OT, and Kentucky was ranked 17th at the time (since you're using BCs ranking at the time of their win over VT). LSU also didn't lose by six touchdowns to the teams they went ahead of, so...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

swickles posted:

Yeah, Alabama would have beaten Utah and Oklahoma in a beatdown had it been for the title. /kentucky was admittedly a bad loss, but losing to the best RB in college football and a really good offense wasn't as egregious as you make it seem. LSU still had solid wins over some very good teams. Virginia Tech's losses were worse, which leads back to the age old argument of which is better: good losses vs. bad wins.
Some teams might lose good. Some times might win bad. The argument of Ohio State versus TCU was not good losses versus bad wins, however. It was a bad loss, singular, and multiple good wins versus a good loss, singular, and what was perceived as "bad wins". The team with the better wins on its resume was more impressive to the committee than the team with the better loss. If Ohio State hadn't blown the gently caress out of Wisconsin, TCU probably would have gotten in.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Some teams might lose good. Some times might win bad. The argument of Ohio State versus TCU was not good losses versus bad wins, however. It was a bad loss, singular, and multiple good wins versus a good loss, singular, and what was perceived as "bad wins". The team with the better wins on its resume was more impressive to the committee than the team with the better loss. If Ohio State hadn't blown the gently caress out of Wisconsin, TCU probably would have gotten in.

I am not making a single argument about this year, who should have been in or what. I am only responding to the notion that LSU shouldn't have been in the NCG in 2007. Thats all. I care nothing about TCU or Baylor or anything about them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

swickles posted:

I am not making a single argument about this year, who should have been in or what. I am only responding to the notion that LSU shouldn't have been in the NCG in 2007. Thats all. I care nothing about TCU or Baylor or anything about them.
Oh, sorry, this thread has conditioned me to jump to weird conclusions. I saw a post about the postseason selection, blacked out, and when I woke up a minute later I had made a post about Ohio State and TCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

swickles posted:

I guess I don't see how losing to the #2 team in the country twice can be worse losses (especially when we beat one of those 2 teams in a rematch) than to an unranked team that couldn't complete forward passes, and a Kentucky squad that while ranked finished the season unranked. BC and LSU were top 15 teams after the season concluded, so how are those worse losses?

I know the answer is perception and we can agree to disagree about that metric, we didn't get in and we didn't win a title so it's irrelevant. Personally I wanted to see VT/LSU rematch because I felt like that OSU squad wasn't very good despite their record. And we were a much better team by seasons end than we were in week 2 much like OSU this season.

• Locked thread