Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

PRESIDENTIAL VETO POWER IS IN THE FRIGGIN CONSTITUTION, YOU HACKS

It' s especially hilarious since Obama hasn't vetoed a single loving thing from the new Congress yet and the righties are already bitching about it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Bicyclops posted:

Uh, if you guys aren't for murdering all cops, then maybe you could propose a solution for fixing the police problem, you know besides "eliminate all racism for social justice?" Really not digging these abstract answers that don't propose actual wins for society.

There's a difference between saying "Boko Haram is bad" and saying "the US response to Boko Haram is bad." I can say the first without having the slightest idea what to do about Boko Haram, the second suggests that I have some idea that there's something better the US could be doing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think the criticism in the Latuff cartoon was that the U.S. response to Boko Haram is bad. I think it's that the media response, which has been mostly to ignore it while discussing the French situation much more in depth, was troublesome.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Selachian posted:

It' s especially hilarious since Obama hasn't vetoed a single loving thing from the new Congress yet and the righties are already bitching about it anyway.

Guess how many vetoes Obama has
just guess
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/vetoes.php

it's 2 :newlol:

Granted presidents tend to issue more in their last 2 years, when congress inevitably flips to the other side. But notably, :worship:Reagan and Bush Sr had issued 59 and 44 by the end of year 6.

Also gonna leave this here, about executive orders.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

God what a tyrant.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Wasn't Franck Brinsolaro (the protection officer) armed?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

alnilam posted:

just guess

Granted presidents tend to issue more in their last 2 years, when congress inevitably flips to the other side. But notably, :worship:Reagan and Bush Sr had issued 59 and 44 by the end of year 6.

God what a tyrant.

Goddamn, FDR's 635.

I mean, I know he served forever, but on a term by term basis he was still knocking them out of the park until the 79thn congress at the end.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

If a bad guy with a gun wasn't stopped it means there wasn't a good man with a gun to stop him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

Gun free zones don't deter shooters, therefore every shooting occurs in a gun free zone. :pseudo:

I think either Branco or one of the McCoys did a gun-free-zone cartoon after the Fort Hood shooting too, and that was on a military base

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mehuyael posted:

If a bad guy with a gun wasn't stopped it means there wasn't a good man with a gun to stop him.

What, you think a good guy would be named Ahmed?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bors just confirmed the guy in the JJ essay is him.

Also, that essay is loving awful.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think the criticism in the Latuff cartoon was that the U.S. response to Boko Haram is bad. I think it's that the media response, which has been mostly to ignore it while discussing the French situation much more in depth, was troublesome.

Well sure, but is it really preferable to have the media collectively wringing their hands over it without actually doing anything? I think that's how the intervention tack got brought up in the first place.

#BOKO2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rorus Raz posted:

Which is convenient because the dude in the cartoon looks nothing like Matt Bors.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

alnilam posted:

just guess

God what a tyrant.

Friendly reminder that Bush's first ever veto, which happened two years into his second term, was this horror of horrors.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Also, that essay is loving awful.

JJ has apparently never heard of the McCoy family empire.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Some pretty good CH cartoons that haven't been getting any air-time:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/11/1357057/-The-Charlie-Hebdo-cartoons-no-one-is-showing-you

Whole article is a pro-click.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know someone was asking a few days ago about why people in the US seem to really hate the idea of taxes. Honestly I think part of it (other than humans naturally being greedy assholes) is that we as kids are taught that this country revolted from Britain because of taxes. But then again maybe I'm just bitter how stupid our history textbooks are for kids where everything is whitewashed and biased.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My schools always emphasized that the point wasn't the taxes but the lack of representation in Parliament even though we were paying taxes, but I grew up in a blue state :shrug:

Personally I blame Reagan.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

My schools always emphasized that the point wasn't the taxes but the lack of representation in Parliament even though we were paying taxes, but I grew up in a blue state :shrug:

Personally I blame Reagan.

It's Reagan. This country tolerated high taxes just fine on the rich in what many of its citizens (erroneously) consider the "good ol' days." Southern Strategy, politics of resentment, enforcing the idea that taxes mean that some (minority) one, somewhere is getting something FOR FREE on YOUR DIME, etc. Reagan played that up like a charm, and it's been the bedrock of the GOP ever since.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Well sure, but is it really preferable to have the media collectively wringing their hands over it without actually doing anything? I think that's how the intervention tack got brought up in the first place.

#BOKO2015

Yes? I mean, I take issue with the phrase "wringing their hands" in this instance, but yes. Particularly in cases where the job of said media is to report news, why is the massacre of 12 in Paris that we can do nothing about more newsworthy than the massacre of 2,000 people that we can do nothing about?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The US actually has pretty good taxpayer morale (motivation to pay) relative to a lot of other countries.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gilganixon posted:

Don't you understand? If EVERYONE in the building was armed, this would NEVER happen.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

KazigluBey posted:

Some pretty good CH cartoons that haven't been getting any air-time:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/11/1357057/-The-Charlie-Hebdo-cartoons-no-one-is-showing-you

Whole article is a pro-click.

On the subject of pro-clicks (though my click is not as pro a click as yours, it being from the Escapist), Mr. Chipman weighed in on the whole Charlie Hebdo thing on The Big Picture.

He does not really go into the differences of satire and the difference between American and European satire, but he does present a pretty nuanced view which is a nice palette cleanser from stuff like Arthur Chu's article.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

Are you saying the police can't protect us?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Flectarn posted:

don't post in the political cartoons thread unless you have a 5 point plan on how to end poverty forever :smug: :stare: :imgay:

well that's real simple; instigate total nuclear war, killing all of humanity and thus ending all human suffering

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really wish people had just posted the content of actual Charlie Hebdo mags and old comics from the deceased way earlier on in this process, so we could have avoided the shitfest from before. It's a lot more clear to me now, I just wish everyone else had seen what this thread has seen about Charlie Hebdo instead of being stuck at the stage we were at a couple days ago.

forbidden lesbian posted:

well that's real simple; instigate total nuclear war, killing all of humanity and thus ending all human suffering
Walk hand in hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Again asking if it's possible to have the Charlie translations (this and the previous one) offsite so they can be shared.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha all three of these are great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

You know someone was asking a few days ago about why people in the US seem to really hate the idea of taxes. Honestly I think part of it (other than humans naturally being greedy assholes) is that we as kids are taught that this country revolted from Britain because of taxes. But then again maybe I'm just bitter how stupid our history textbooks are for kids where everything is whitewashed and biased.

I blame the lack of Christian values in the USA.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

forbidden lesbian posted:

that's a one point plan at best

spacetoaster posted:

Are you saying the police can't protect us?

If everyone in the CH office was wearing full kevlar body armour and was cartooning away behind reinforced concrete desks, each of them strapped like Branco while a SWAT team armed with military assault weapons and a rocket propelled grenade launcher or two took up tactical positions in the reception area at all times then this tragedy would have been averted. But France doesn't love freedom enough to deploy militarised police in all possible locations all the time and cartoonists aren't required to conceal carry so here we all are.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

@TedRall posted:

Tomorrow's cartoon about #CharlieHebdo is as outrageous as they are, methinks. http://ow.ly/i/8gdSD

:shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How shocking :geno:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Obama could move us forward if the GOP hadn't stolen the people's paddle, forcing us to spin in place. AGC

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
:rolleyes:

That's like the cheapest joke you could do. The reason no-one else has bothered to do it is because it's so cheap.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The funniest thing about this cartoon is that Rall thought it'd be the most provocative poo poo ever

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
God bless Bad Reporter :allears:

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The only funny thing about this cartoon is that Rall thought it'd be the most provocative poo poo ever

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

:rolleyes:

That's like the cheapest joke you could do. The reason no-one else has bothered to do it is because it's so cheap.

I expected basically the same thing, but an editor lamenting that he couldn't get subscriptions up because they didn't have any BRAVE AND DARING cartoonists to get murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I dunno, I laughed pretty hard when I realized that the grey thing behind the editor is supposed to be a window that is apparently too opaque to show anything in the room beyond it.

• Locked thread