Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it tuns out open source is incompatible with making a profit

at least until they figure out a way to sell enterprise support subscriptions for soylent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
for only $30/month we will troubleshoot your leaky colon

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

first bowel mover

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

for only $30/month we will troubleshoot your leaky colon

buttplug of the month club membership included

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
the related pro click
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if not for the adult swim title (and the sex offender notice) you could easily get 20 million from andreesen horowitz with this video

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
heres my business plan to disrupt the soylent industry

1) buy canisters of powdered ensure in bulk
2) weigh out quarter-pound servings of powder into ziploc bags
3) ship those ziplocs to kickstarters/subscribers at a 1200% markup

total r&d costs = $0, material is already fda-certified, a billion-dollar pharmaceutical company stands behind the product, margins upwards of 500% - it's a better arrangement than soylent on every possible level

wheres my $100 million in vc money?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

entering into a contract with a libertarian is like using a wish from a tricky genie.

literally my landlord, dude claimed he wasn't liable for damage to my chest freezer that his contractor caused because "the lease says I'm not responsible."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

total r&d costs = $0, material is already fda-certified, a billion-dollar pharmaceutical company stands behind the product, margins upwards of 500% - it's a better arrangement than soylent on every possible level

this is literally what brewers do for whiskey btw

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

don't watch the Alpha Chow in the related vids for that infomercial btw. jfc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

better yet, just sign a packaging and distribution deal with ensure, never touch the product, drop ship to customers directly off their logistics chain

present the deal as iron clad to a vc group without having signed anything and use their money to fund it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
arent most "craft beers" just stuff from miller/coors/bud except put in fancier bottles and sold at a 150% markup?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

market opportunities for soylent would either depend on a secret formula [lol oops] or high-end custom versions for rich fat people [but how is that not medifast then?]

soylent owes any success it has to marketing, the formula doesn't actually matter. and he's not even a good marketer, he just stumbled upon a weirdass niche by chance. who knew that what (some small subset of) people wanted wasn't medically certified food replacements for sick people created by chemists and dieticians, but rather disruptive healthy food hacks from this one engineer, Big Food hates him!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
speaking of fun with markups, i read an article about lego where they talked about their architecture line. lego loving loves it because they can see a product with the same number of blocs and production cost as a fire station or moonbase for double the list price because the target customer is an adult who is willing to spend $89 on a lego sydney opera house or guggenheim museum

sell $30 worth of blocs as a $40 toy gas station
or
sell $30 worth of blocs as an $80 eiffel tower model
?

hmmmm...

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

FMguru posted:

arent most "craft beers" just stuff from miller/coors/bud except put in fancier bottles and sold at a 150% markup?
probably not most, but there are definitely some major ones. apparently they do it with ciders and wines too.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Main Paineframe posted:

speaking of "no quality filter", soylent just got $20 million from vcs

I asked my wife if she'd heard of it, and she hadn't and found their web site. many WTFs resulted from watching their intro video, especially since their founder really appears on the spectrum there.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

infernal machines posted:

it would take literally a single google search to find out about hundreds of better researched products that exist in exactly the same market space at an even lower pricepoint. how are these loving idiots investing money in something without doing so much due diligence as a lazy highschooler writing a book report.

gently caress doing research but i bet coke zero is worth billions despite being diet coke with a different sweetener. ensure tastes better and is more nutritious than soylent but it's marketed to old people and people with busted jaws. consumers are idiots but the vcs are probably just cynical jackasses

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
i'm hoping that MGM was waiting for the VC money drop to happen before they sue soylent into the earth for trademark violation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Verdafolio posted:

i'm hoping that MGM was waiting for the VC money drop to happen before they sue soylent into the earth for trademark violation

well yeah there's that too

e: but then we could get officially licensed soylent green!

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

qirex posted:

well yeah there's that too

e: but then we could get officially licensed soylent green!

an ensure™ product

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

or sell empty boxes to dieters encouraging them to eat that instead of that third mcgriddle

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

speaking of fun with markups, i read an article about lego where they talked about their architecture line. lego loving loves it because they can see a product with the same number of blocs and production cost as a fire station or moonbase for double the list price because the target customer is an adult who is willing to spend $89 on a lego sydney opera house or guggenheim museum

sell $30 worth of blocs as a $40 toy gas station
or
sell $30 worth of blocs as an $80 eiffel tower model
?

hmmmm...

even better: slap a star wars logo on it and sell it as a $200 set

this is why lego surpassed mattel as the biggest toy company in the world.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been waffling on buying lego fallingwater forever

edit: this is funny, their least complex models without any color for $160

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I've been waffling on buying lego fallingwater forever
do it

then you can start saving up for lego guggenheim museum, lego robie house, and lego imperial hotel

FCKGW posted:

even better: slap a star wars logo on it and sell it as a $200 set
:ssh: you have to write lucas/disney a check when you do that

you dont have to write big ben or the taj mahal when you do models of them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the best part about soylent as a brand is that in the original book none of the soylent is people, its just literal trash food

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, the name is ironically completely unironic

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice
time to file the FTC lawsuit because i expected to be drinking people, not bespoke protein shakes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

[circle-jerk-ouroboros.png]

quote:

After a few months of dipping his toes back into the startup life, investor Kevin Rose is ready to dive in full-time — with $5 million in hand.

The Google Ventures partner and Digg founder is stepping back from investing to work full-time on his new startup, app incubator North Technologies. Rose initially went part-time at Google Ventures in August, but is leaving investing behind completely (at least for now) to work on North.

He’ll still be an adviser at Google Ventures and will help out with his existing portfolio companies where needed, he told Re/code.

North announced a $5 million funding round Wednesday, a major reason Rose switched his focus. The funding came from a slew of VC firms and angel investors (including Google Ventures), all of whom Rose has worked with before, and gives his five-person team “years of runway” to pursue new projects, he added.

Investors like to say that backing young startups is often as much about the entrepreneur as the idea for the company; in Rose’s case, that seems to be exceptionally true.

“The one big project, the one whale project we want to sink our teeth into — we don’t know what that is yet,” said Rose. “For us, you’re investing in a couple product people getting together and trying a bunch of different ideas.”
so kevin rose's new startup is to fund other startups

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

literally my landlord, dude claimed he wasn't liable for damage to my chest freezer that his contractor caused because "the lease says I'm not responsible."

burn an effigy of an old-timey oil lamp on his lawn

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

FMguru posted:

there are varying degrees, there's stuff like blue moon which is mass produced by coors, then you have stuff like lienenkuegel that was independent but was bought and is run by miller. goose island was independent, bought by anheiser but supposedly is managed independently, then you have the true independent micro brewers who are going for quality, then the microbrewers who are making swill like hamms.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://www.post-gazette.com/busines...es/201501140151

pennsylvania subpoenas travis kalanick and ups fine to 19 million bucks & counting. good poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

As a Millennial I posted:

http://www.post-gazette.com/busines...es/201501140151

pennsylvania subpoenas travis kalanick and ups fine to 19 million bucks & counting. good poo poo
they would have fined him more but they couldnt find anyone in pennsylvania who could count higher than 19 million

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

they would have fined him more but they couldnt find anyone in pennsylvania who could count higher than 19 million

Much like your posts!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

They're going to have to stop calling it soylent at some point though yeah?

Like they remember where they got the name, right?

if you point out how their ref is insanely gross they just act like you're the nerd for knowing about it and then literally act out a jp scene from grandma's boy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i'm the distillery started in 2006 that's selling 10 year old rye

the talent deficit posted:

gently caress doing research but i bet coke zero is worth billions despite being diet coke with a different sweetener. ensure tastes better and is more nutritious than soylent but it's marketed to old people and people with busted jaws. consumers are idiots but the vcs are probably just cynical jackasses

don't forget black packaging and avoidance of the "diet" title in order to appeal to men

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget black packaging and avoidance of the "diet" title in order to appeal to men

which was because they spent a lot of the 70s and 80s and 90s all but exclusively marketing "diet" sodas to women

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also the fact that diet coke has the flavor profile of new coke and coke zero that of coke classic GOD

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
um ill just take the simple reductive narrative tyvm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

also the fact that diet coke has the flavor profile of new coke and coke zero that of coke classic GOD

you got that mixed up.

diet coke has the approximate flavor profile of pepsi, new coke was formulated to be close to that but using actual sugars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

soadachat

i don't drink soda very often, but i prefer diet coke to the other variants

• Locked thread