Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I tried checking both the OP and the YLLS forum and I couldn't quite find an answer for this.

Basically, I got a new job, but unlike my last place, this place is pretty strict about schedules and they're further from my Muay Thai gym. So, I'll end up missing a good chunk of class and I won't have much time otherwise to do the strength and conditioning drills alongside the rest of my gym mates.

On the plus side, the building where I work has a gym, but it's pretty terrible. There's only a handful of free weights (I think they top out at like 50lbs), a generic rowing / lat pulldown tower and some ab crunch machine. Oh, and it's pretty tiny. I kinda wonder if I'll end up smacking someone when I skip rope as my workout. Given the limited equipment and my goal of training with Muay Thai in mind (instead of gettin' mad swole), are there any workouts you can recommend? Ideally, it would be a workout program that I can get done in a lunch hour.

I've found some from Googling, but the directions aren't the clearest for a lot of these. That, and I trust you lot - you collectively know your stuff. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
tbh you'd probably be best served going for a run and use the gym shower when you get back.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We used to do a warm-up drill at combat sambo where you basically stand a few feet apart, plant your feet, and just trade 3-4 hit combinations back and forth quickly for a few rounds. You're hitting really light, tapping basically, but you're only allowed to block and check leg kicks -- no footwork or slipping/ducking. You should establish a rhythm where as soon as one person finishes their combo, the other person begins -- no pauses where you think about what you're going to do, you have to be thinking about that as you're blocking and be ready to throw as soon as it's your turn. I found that it was really helpful for staying composed and keeping your guard up (and your eyes on your opponent) as strikes come in, because at least some are going to get through, and the sheer volume helps get rid of the automatic blink/turn reaction. It's also good for establishing the instinct to throw some strikes once your opponent finishes a combination.

I feel like this is a much better drill than the wall/"I'm going to punch you lightly 100 times" stuff because it's way more live, and better than live stuff involving movement because the proximity to your partner and rhythm of it means you're seeing way more strikes than you would in light sparring with footwork.

Gonna steal this for longsword. Flinching is a problem I have and this solution sounds better than my great grand-teacher's, which is he hits you hard, and then hits you harder if you flinch.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We used to do a warm-up drill at combat sambo where you basically stand a few feet apart, plant your feet, and just trade 3-4 hit combinations back and forth quickly for a few rounds.

Oh hey this is a nice variation of the 3 strikes vs 3 strikes and such. I often make people stand in a "box" at about striking range and have them go at 30% without the possibility of retreat, but I've never combined these two drills like that. We'll give this a shot next time!

I probably have 80+ lbs on my friend but I've been doing this stuff for such a long time control is not a problem.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dolemite posted:

I tried checking both the OP and the YLLS forum and I couldn't quite find an answer for this.

Basically, I got a new job, but unlike my last place, this place is pretty strict about schedules and they're further from my Muay Thai gym. So, I'll end up missing a good chunk of class and I won't have much time otherwise to do the strength and conditioning drills alongside the rest of my gym mates.

On the plus side, the building where I work has a gym, but it's pretty terrible. There's only a handful of free weights (I think they top out at like 50lbs), a generic rowing / lat pulldown tower and some ab crunch machine. Oh, and it's pretty tiny. I kinda wonder if I'll end up smacking someone when I skip rope as my workout. Given the limited equipment and my goal of training with Muay Thai in mind (instead of gettin' mad swole), are there any workouts you can recommend? Ideally, it would be a workout program that I can get done in a lunch hour.

I've found some from Googling, but the directions aren't the clearest for a lot of these. That, and I trust you lot - you collectively know your stuff. :)

You could do some HIIT circuits or skip rope and run like previously mentioned.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dolemite posted:

On the plus side, the building where I work has a gym, but it's pretty terrible. There's only a handful of free weights (I think they top out at like 50lbs), a generic rowing / lat pulldown tower and some ab crunch machine.

Does a barbell exist there?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

fatherdog posted:

tbh you'd probably be best served going for a run and use the gym shower when you get back.
Might have to go this route. I hope there's a running trail around the office park.

VulgarandStupid posted:

You could do some HIIT circuits or skip rope and run like previously mentioned.
I'll have to google for a decent HIIT circuit. I've seen some bodyweight type circuits that seem like they'll do the job. Failing that, guess running it is. :(
(I hate running!)

Ligur posted:

Does a barbell exist there?
I'll check again today, but I don't recall seeing any kind of barbell and plates. Hopefully, there are.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ligur posted:

Oh hey this is a nice variation of the 3 strikes vs 3 strikes and such. I often make people stand in a "box" at about striking range and have them go at 30% without the possibility of retreat, but I've never combined these two drills like that. We'll give this a shot next time!

I probably have 80+ lbs on my friend but I've been doing this stuff for such a long time control is not a problem.

The drill I described is way less than 30%, more like 10%. You're much closer than jab range, and taking a ton of strikes. It's not supposed to simulate sparring, just drilling your composure and exchanges and forcing you to put together combinations without 'thinking' about it beforehand. A big part of it is actually not getting too excited/overwhelmed and accidentally putting too much power into a shot.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 15, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The drill I described is way less than 30%, more like 10%. You're much closer than jab range, and taking a ton of strikes. It's not supposed to simulate sparring, just drilling your composure and exchanges and forcing you to put together combinations without 'thinking' about it beforehand. A big part of it is actually not getting too excited/overwhelmed and accidentally putting too much power into a shot.

I get it, I get it.

My friend has a bit of an issue controlling strikes though. Thanks to our weight comparison it doesn't really matter, but I didn't realize how little live sparring she has this far: when I say go at 50% she'll go at 105%. But we'll work on it.

edit: one of my old coaches had us actually do your drill now that I think of it, close range with hooks and uppercuts only (no kicks, no moving back) but we did it at 70-80% :v:

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 15, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I heard once that the guy who trained prince naseem and other U.K. Fighters had his guys spar with body and chest punches to simulate head shots. So they could spar a lot and become very comfortable but not take so many head shots.

No idea if it's really valid or what but maybe something experienced strikers can weigh in on.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

I heard once that the guy who trained prince naseem and other U.K. Fighters had his guys spar with body and chest punches to simulate head shots. So they could spar a lot and become very comfortable but not take so many head shots.

No idea if it's really valid or what but maybe something experienced strikers can weigh in on.

This is pretty interesting TBH.

Someone will say "well u learn to punch too low and not cover ur head" but seriously I think this has merit if you want to go hard.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

Someone will say "well u learn to punch too low and not cover ur head" but seriously I think this has merit if you want to go hard.

I thought this too but if you have someone stand across from you and punch your chest , then aim at your chin it looks very similar. I'm not a striker so I may not be able to discern because of inexperience. Also, I would assume you need people to understand the point and aim for upper chest and not do goofy poo poo and sometimes spar under the real rules to keep everyone honest.

Still if you could rack up all those hours to be natural and fluid in the ring, without the head trauma, that's big.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My very first sparring session I forgot my gumshield so that's exactly what they had us do.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
That's what I am doing at the moment until my eye surgery has been finished and heals.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ligur posted:

Not really an issue for Brendan Ingle since I don't believe a single fighter who's come out of his school has ever covered their head in their lives

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Progress Report/Looking for advice from you more senior guys ( MA doesn't matter I don't think ):

I find that a lot of the time when I don't know how to do something ( say I get in a position I don't recognize ), I just kind of freeze/stall and sit there thinking in my head until they do something. I become very passive/reactionary only. I feel like I should be more aggressive or at least proactive about working towards a position/goal ( with hopefully some contingencies ) but since I'm still pretty green I often don't know what to do. Usually I'll just say that out loud "uhh...I don't know what to do" and sometimes they'll help me but sometimes it's someone who's just in semi-rage zone ( as I term it ) and doing the angry breathing/ignoring me entirely except as an opponent.

I think I should probably just try *anything* even if I have no idea what I'm doing and if I get in a bad position so what - good practice trying to get out of where I put myself. Is there anything else you can recommend other than just time in the gym?

I feel like once I have a broader repertoire these types of situations will become less likely since I'll have some sort of plan, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I could/should be doing other than youtubing these situations as I come across them..

As a side bonus - my stamina has increased dramatically, used to be I could only roll 3, maybe 4 rounds max but the past 2 weeks I've been staying for 9-10 as long as I take a 1 round break somewhere in there. I think this is partially physical but also mental because I try and slow things down and be methodical and I'm using muscle less by doing so. How I roll seems to really depend on who I roll with though because for whatever reason I'm an odd duck at around 205 - everyone else is either <170 or >250 so whenever it's the heavier guys I always end up exhausted ( I actually tapped last week because the guy was just laying on me in half-guard and I couldn't breathe ).

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I think you're wise to avoid taking unnecessary risks when caught in unfamiliar territory. It's good that you want experience with bad positions, but you'll find that the tension/response is different when opponents actually get the better of you than if you were to just hang yourself out of sheer frustration, so it's probably not as beneficial to take those blind risks as it is to cultivate control, patience and timing. See if you can remind yourself when you freeze to just lightly test soundness of the opponent's structure and look for a weakness. Or maybe just have a 'go to' response to unfamiliar territory, like automatically looking to control the hands or something.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The drill I described...

Gave it a go. Results were hilarious :D

But there is already improvement in regards to keeping a guard up and gloves glued to your face. This is going to be a long project... but we love what we do, right guyz.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Can someone explain to me why people are so hung up on the lineage of their BJJ instructors? Is it to prevent someone from signing up to a mcdojo or is it dick waving? This isn't something that is done in Judo, and I just assumed that you can find everything you need to know with a few Google searches.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ligur posted:

Gave it a go. Results were hilarious :D

But there is already improvement in regards to keeping a guard up and gloves glued to your face. This is going to be a long project... but we love what we do, right guyz.

Haha. Anyone get blasted? That was always a big wake up call for people on just how tense and out of control they are, because they'd feel horrible when they punched their defenseless partner really hard in a drill where you're supposed to be barely touching each other.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Can someone explain to me why people are so hung up on the lineage of their BJJ instructors? Is it to prevent someone from signing up to a mcdojo or is it dick waving? This isn't something that is done in Judo, and I just assumed that you can find everything you need to know with a few Google searches.

I mean if you're already experienced from a good instructor you'll know what to look for. But I I think it's good for complete newbies to do a bit of research. I don't know where you live but around here Gracie Barras are like Starbucks. Also in BJJ they take belts pretty serious and at every level you generally expect a certain amount of skill. I mean poo poo a black belt takes upwards of 15 years, no? In the end I think it helps to prevent people from buying belts.

At any rate people might get hung up on some regular white dude or non-Brazilian teaching them which is dumb but yeah. That poo poo is so commercialized now I'm sure there's a ton of McDojos

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Also, lineage actually is pretty big in Judo too. People may be less inclined to pass up a school for having no lineage, but that's because there aren't as many Judo schools to choose from and the basics curriculum is all mostly standardized. But when it comes to the higher level stuff, there is a huge difference between studying with Joe Blackbelt (4 years experience) and studying with someone like my instructor (an 8th dan with 60 years experience who trained under Mifune).

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

A Wry Smile posted:

I think you're wise to avoid taking unnecessary risks when caught in unfamiliar territory. It's good that you want experience with bad positions, but you'll find that the tension/response is different when opponents actually get the better of you than if you were to just hang yourself out of sheer frustration, so it's probably not as beneficial to take those blind risks as it is to cultivate control, patience and timing. See if you can remind yourself when you freeze to just lightly test soundness of the opponent's structure and look for a weakness. Or maybe just have a 'go to' response to unfamiliar territory, like automatically looking to control the hands or something.

I like this advice with some aggression built in. I think I have a similar problem to Toll, in that when I'm rolling I tend to go into a pure defensive mode, waiting for them to make a move while just trying to stay alive/not tap. This has made me good at defending submissions and probably more difficult to tap than others at my level, but has resulted in my always finding myself on the bottom and never submitting anyone myself. I had to start taking more risks (any risks) to even have a chance to start working on submissions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

A Wry Smile posted:

Also, lineage actually is pretty big in Judo too. People may be less inclined to pass up a school for having no lineage, but that's because there aren't as many Judo schools to choose from and the basics curriculum is all mostly standardized. But when it comes to the higher level stuff, there is a huge difference between studying with Joe Blackbelt (4 years experience) and studying with someone like my instructor (an 8th dan with 60 years experience who trained under Mifune).

I've never really come across people caring about lineage in Judo. People might care about wanting to be with a given instructor because they have more accolades but nobody really gives a poo poo who your great grandad instructor is or anything like they do in BJJ.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Sure, like you'll never hear my instructor mention his time with Mifune, but at the same time I get the sense that it's supposed to just go without saying. You know how Japanese culture generally holds lineage/heritage in high regard.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Can someone explain to me why people are so hung up on the lineage of their BJJ instructors?

Nobody I've ever met has ever been hung up on the lineage of their BJJ instructors except in the sense that they should have one.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Crosspost: So I'm a 4 month white belt with no tabs. Been told there's a grading in a couple weeks. I assume this is where tabs are given out. What should I expect in a grading?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Crosspost: So I'm a 4 month white belt with no tabs. Been told there's a grading in a couple weeks. I assume this is where tabs are given out. What should I expect in a grading?

Ask your instructor, but likely you'll be asked to demo stuff your instructor tells you to demo, and you'll roll or do positional stuff where the only way to fail is to spazz out completely.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven't seen anyone as obsessed with lineage as wing chun people. Holy poo poo

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

At VOS gym we did this a lot too. I like it, especially for beginners as it can get you familiar with what the gently caress range and timing and everything is.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Fool posted:

I haven't seen anyone as obsessed with lineage as wing chun people. Holy poo poo

So what brought on this random spurt of vitrol?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

He's right though, I've met four WC people in real life, all from different gyms and lineages, and each one independently explained their lineage in great detail (when I didn't care at all), independently of one another. Each one told a different origin story for the martial art, and each one told me a different story about how amazing their teacher's teacher or their teacher's teacher's teacher was. They were all different people, and all told very implausible stories about people who were too old or dead for them to be verifiable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KildarX posted:

So what brought on this random spurt of vitrol?

Not that random in the context of the discussion about people being concerned about BJJ lineage.

I also used to practice WC, and the lineage obsession is just a symptom of the poisonous politics that surround that martial art.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Grappled with the 110kg white belt dude at our gym again tonight. I'm a 'one-stripe' blue belt, and 90kg. This guy, if I gently caress up at all, can pretty much pick an arm he wants to gently caress me with (after grinding me down). Still fun though, managed to armbar him when I was so tired I was about to be sick. Literally the best armbar I've ever caught, zero strength, all technique. Next roll he went to North/South arm tweak me (don't know what it's called), I rolled out, so he stood up and literally threw me from a kimura. I tapped the second I hit the floor. And the cool part is that it's awesome. I've got my belt, he's got his. I need to work harder at my game, and he's helping me to highlight where I'm lovely (massive heavy dudes). just to clarify, this guy went to the Hereford Open (a biggish deal BJJ wise in the UK) and won Silver after doing it for two months.

While I'm here - anyone got any tips on massive heavy dudes? He tends to steam in, so takedowns are hard, and man, if you gently caress them up (as I did tonight) you've got 110kg pressing down on you. He's learned how to use his weight, and normally if I try to sweep or wrong-angle people off me, it works. But he's so heavy it doesn't (or my technique is bad). Any (constructive) advice would be awesome...

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I only weigh 150 pounds, so pretty much everyone I fight weighs more than I do. It sucks when people can just use their weight to crush you, regardless of their skill level.

Typically, when fighting someone with 100+ pounds on me, I change my goal from "tap them," to "don't get injured."

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I suppose it's the 'blue belt dilemma'. I don't know enough to not get hosed up by the outlier white belts. On the plus side, there's a blue belt dude who used to be awesome. When I was a white belt he'd gently caress me up day in, day out. He got injured in an MMA match (knee), and dropped out for a year. He's come back, and I can basically do what I want to him. It's hard to see your progress when everyone's improving together, but when someone has some time off and then comes back - wow.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Much bigger guys are going to beat you if there isn't a huge experience gap, weight classes exist for a reason. Don't worry about it too much, it's kind of their responsibility to lighten up and be technical so that the roll is productive.

Aside from that, stay light when you're in a top position, focusing on transitioning to a different one when they try to sweep rather than getting heavy to shut it down. Also knee on belly is your friend.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 17, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Also don't get taken down.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Haha. Anyone get blasted? That was always a big wake up call for people on just how tense and out of control they are, because they'd feel horrible when they punched their defenseless partner really hard in a drill where you're supposed to be barely touching each other.

The drill is so similar to much of those I've been doing since forever I have no problem lightly tapping people, but she tried to light me up, yeah.

"Go at 20%"
"Ok!"
"Hey! 20% doesn't mean really slow, just light, be as fast as you can be"
"Ok! I'ma now faster!" *starts throwing at 105% again because fast and full power is the same*

But like I said before no problem, I have 2000 lbs on that person. The thing about "out of control" is always hilarious. (As long as it isn't some 260lbs dude killing guys and girls half his weight, that is.)

edit: and there was a lot of laughing, also a drill I like, to prepare for sparring, is going a couple of rounds of fighting with no mouthgard and no gloves and open palm strikes only when it comes to hands: even the most panicky, twitchy trainee will become quite calm and calculated at that point

Ligur fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Doing my first bjj class this morning, exciting!

edit:

Ligur posted:

edit: and there was a lot of laughing, also a drill I like, to prepare for sparring, is going a couple of rounds of fighting with no mouthgard and no gloves and open palm strikes only when it comes to hands: even the most panicky, twitchy trainee will become quite calm and calculated at that point

This loving drill, I almost had my eye taken out by some 18 year old doing this getting too excited, I don't know what he was thinking but his open palms turned into pointy fingers for a split second.

• Locked thread