Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was wondering last night how this will affect the Homestuck alpha kids. It would be easy enough for the timeflow/clown shenanigans to free Gamzee so that he can steal all the corpses and prototype the alpha kids' sprites, but it's hard to see how he'll be able to create Tavrisprite without Vriska's corpse.

She hit god tier, so there's a spare Vriska corpse lying around already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was wondering last night how this will affect the Homestuck alpha kids. It would be easy enough for the timeflow/clown shenanigans to free Gamzee so that he can steal all the corpses and prototype the alpha kids' sprites, but it's hard to see how he'll be able to create Tavrisprite without Vriska's corpse.

More importantly, Hussie won't be able to propose to her ghost and will instead have to settle for sloppy makeouts with Rufio Dante Basco Tavros.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tunicate posted:

She hit god tier, so there's a spare Vriska corpse lying around already.

Bec Noir blew up all their worlds, that's why they were hiding on the asteroid. It's hypothetically possible Gamzee snagged the corpse anyway before the planet was destroyed, but that's a little bit contrived if it's done just for the sake of keeping the sprites the same way.

I suspect the alpha kids' sprites won't be prototyped the same way they were in the original run, since it's entirely possible the sprites all survived by escaping on LOWAS with John and Roxy (we've already seen Jaspersprite and it's implied this timeline's Davesprite was killed to make room for the original one) so we'll have an Erisolsprite, an ARquiussprite and so on. Hm, I wonder what that'll mean for AR, actually, if he's not used to form a sprite?

Also if Davesprite really does ride into this session on LOWAS it's going to make his reunion with Jade pretty awkward, since he'll remember a three-year-long journey where they experimented with a failed relationship and she won't.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

but it's hard to see how he'll be able to create Tavrisprite without Vriska's corpse.

He tears off his own head and prototypes it?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 14, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He doesn't need to, because that already happened.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dolash posted:

Also if Davesprite really does ride into this session on LOWAS it's going to make his reunion with Jade pretty awkward, since he'll remember a three-year-long journey where they experimented with a failed relationship and she won't.

Maybe he died offscreen? He was always supposed to be doomed after all.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Maybe he died offscreen? He was always supposed to be doomed after all.

He did, at one point, make a bargain with Hephastus that we never really got the full skinny on. Maybe it had similar stipulations to the ones John and Roxy struck?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

ikanreed posted:

Arrgh. Problem. Big problem. Hussie is pretty good about time travel plot holes normally. But he just prevented gamzee's chucklevoodoos.

Couldn't he have done that before harassing Terezi/getting caught? I was pretty sure he did it immediately after Dave sent him the miracles video, at least that's what the chatlog implies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

Bec Noir blew up all their worlds, that's why they were hiding on the asteroid. It's hypothetically possible Gamzee snagged the corpse anyway before the planet was destroyed, but that's a little bit contrived if it's done just for the sake of keeping the sprites the same way.

Gamzee has access to Aradia's music box time machines, so he could just decide to steal the past vriskorpse

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

He doesn't need to, because that already happened.
Given the Mobius Double Reacharound nature of the Homestuck timeline, it isn't clear what "already happened" means in the context of John's powers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ikanreed posted:

Arrgh. Problem. Big problem. Hussie is pretty good about time travel plot holes normally. But he just prevented gamzee's chucklevoodoos.
Didn't everything Gamzee had to do already get taken care of before he went up to the roof for the 5x Showdown Combo? The next thing that happens for him is that he gets shooshed/papped and then steals the corpses.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The only thing I can think of is, wasn't there a scene in cascade of him reporting to scratch and getting told they were suckers?
that hardly seems essential to anything though

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
when did I start liking this dumb comic again?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

AriadneThread posted:

The only thing I can think of is, wasn't there a scene in cascade of him reporting to scratch and getting told they were suckers?
that hardly seems essential to anything though

Yeah, I think that and his later meeting with Kurloz in the Meenah walkarounds were the last two times we saw Gamzee doing something that was "inscrutable clown bullshit with a possible foreseeable purpose" rather than just "inscrutable clown bullshit."

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Didn't everything Gamzee had to do already get taken care of before he went up to the roof for the 5x Showdown Combo? The next thing that happens for him is that he gets shooshed/papped and then steals the corpses.

He still needs to go raise the Cherubs. Maybe.

Hell I don't even know if that still matters.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This entire story is inscrutable clown bullshit. Old man Hussie got us good.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Old Man Mozz posted:

when did I start liking this dumb comic again?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ThaumPenguin posted:

I doubt he's going to be incapacitated for literally the rest of the comic, as nice as that would be.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

ThaumPenguin posted:

He still has to do it, when he got the Cherub egg he had healed facial scars.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Lord English was sort of unstuck from canon himself. That was his juju originally, wasn't it? He's already here no matter what John does, it'll take a special effort of bullshit to beat him.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

JT Jag posted:

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Lord English was sort of unstuck from canon himself. That was his juju originally, wasn't it? He's already here no matter what John does, it'll take a special effort of bullshit to beat him.

Supposedly the thing that gave John this power was a weapon he only got to use once, then for some reason he couldn't do it anymore. So he hid it deep in the furthest ring, where team dead pirates found it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty confident that juju is the reason all non-LE-creating timelines in the first half of the comic were doomed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pretty confident that juju is the reason all non-LE-creating timelines in the first half of the comic were doomed.

I thought that was just his power as a Lord of Time. The alpha timeline literally exists to serve him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Caliborn we know and loveknow probably shares John's trait of being Unstuck, meaning that if, say, Gamzee was unable to go raise the Cherubs and that should prevent Caliborn from coming into existence, that won't actually have any impact on Caliborn since his personal continuity has broken free.

It could, however, have an effect on Calliope. She probably doesn't share the Unstuck trait, meaning changes to the timeline of the story should affect her the same way they've affected Jane and Jade. The big indicator will be when we see what happens with Vriska's ghost, now that Vriska isn't dying in this timeline anymore - if she disappears in a puff of pirate-punk smoke, then anything John does that prevents Gamzee from raising the Cherubs should cause Calliope to cease to exist as well. If that Vriska continues to exist in the dream bubbles alongside the new, not-dead Vriska then Calliope's ghost can also continue to exist whether or not the Cherubs are ever raised.

If that's how it works then the story would have no need for Gamzee anymore, I think. He'd only be protected by his ineffable clown bullshit.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

The Caliborn we know and loveknow probably shares John's trait of being Unstuck, meaning that if, say, Gamzee was unable to go raise the Cherubs and that should prevent Caliborn from coming into existence, that won't actually have any impact on Caliborn since his personal continuity has broken free.

Not quite what you're talking about, but I thought it was basically the opposite. Where instead of being Unstuck, Caliborn is Stuck in the story. That is to say, he's become an immovable part of the story where every aspect of it supports his perpetuation and dominance and can't really exist without him.

But I see what you mean, if say John retcon's Vriska back into prominence then yeah I doubt he'll also be able to effect Caliborn's mocking of her lack of relevance.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Are Aradia and Sollux the only characters who have never had a "DEAD." panel? Just sort of curious

JT Jag posted:

I think that the Juju was what originally gave Caliborn his ability to control the narrative in Act 6 Act 6 (and it's interesting that the first shot we see of Caliborn typing into the narrative prompt, is exactly the same as when we first see WV typing into anything). And it's worth mentioning that Lord English can only enter a universe that has actually ended, and the only one we've seen that happen in is the Troll's universe.

English is pretty much definitely unstuck from canon... We've seen him flying through whatever narrative space has all of the Act 6 curtains floating in it. But maybe he can only affect stories that actually have an ending to them.

I don't really know where this will all lead to, more just thinking aloud here

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 15, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sollux doesn't care about your rules. :colbert:

Considering that he is half the troll he used to be he can only do half the jokes he used to make.

You can say he is an one dimensional character now.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

thanks alot assbag posted:

Are Aradia and Sollux the only characters who have never had a "DEAD." panel? Just sort of curious

Aradia hasn't, but she got this.
It doesn't say DEAD on it, but Sollux got a corpse shot panel here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nerdbot posted:

Would've been nice for John to give the meteor a big windy push so Sollux didn't have to die. What a nice guy you are, Egbert.

Hey, he didn't know. Terezi could've put it on the scarf but I guess she just wants him dead

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
This Paradox Space suddenly took a turn for the interesting and now I'm sad there's only one page left. I could totally get behind this concept as a full-fledged fantasy story.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Sollux chose to sacrifice himself. Terezi said she's only comfortable addressing her own mistakes.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
It has been 1340 days since [S] Flip was posted. Almost Three and a half years. Three and a half years of content that is now up in the air as to its importance going forward, whether it was 'real' or not. Three and a half years of what was supposed to be on the precipice of the final acts.

I don't believe for a single moment that Hussie has had this 'mapped out', even in terms of vague concepts, the way he had with scratching the kids' game or trollpocalypse. I don't believe for a single moment that anything since the start of new content has been truly necessary for getting to the ending. I think Hussie just wanted to see how far he could go with this retcon idea, further expanding the already ghastly absurd scope of details this stupid story demands the reader care about and try to make sense of.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Of course it's real. First of all, all those pages we spent with those characters still exist. Second, they all resulted in the only characters who can even start to understand what's at stake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MrBims posted:

It has been 1340 days since [S] Flip was posted. Almost Three and a half years. Three and a half years of content that is now up in the air as to its importance going forward, whether it was 'real' or not. Three and a half years of what was supposed to be on the precipice of the final acts.

I don't believe for a single moment that Hussie has had this 'mapped out', even in terms of vague concepts, the way he had with scratching the kids' game or trollpocalypse. I don't believe for a single moment that anything since the start of new content has been truly necessary for getting to the ending. I think Hussie just wanted to see how far he could go with this retcon idea, further expanding the already ghastly absurd scope of details this stupid story demands the reader care about and try to make sense of.

On the one hand I agree with you that Hussie probably does not have the story mapped out beginning to end and never did because it's impossible for something with such a massive scale with equally massive potential now that the retcon thing can happen without causing paradoxes... but on the other hand, I still just don't prescribe to the idea that all the time spent leading up to the retcon thing was pointless. If you read the story in release order from beginning to where we are now, it's not pointless or wasted because it's still a coherent story with exposition and character development and some semblance of a plot. It wasn't all for nothing just because the story NOW has made it so that it didn't happen, because we can go back to the start of the story and it will have happened again because we're reading the drat thing.

I think the story has gone on for way way way too long and gotten way way way too complex and I really would like it to just goddamn end already, but the retcon thing doesn't make the past three years of comic all for boners just because of what's happening to the characters in it right now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hussie scrapped Wizardy Herbert to make Homestuck, so it's not unreasonable to guess that a character rewriting the plot from within was an idea he had planned from the start.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
John's retcon power is no different than time travel in most normal stories where the future can be changed. Going back and changing history doesn't invalidate the events that are changed. The entire reason for changing them is because those events were so hosed and terrible that the characters DON'T want them to happen. Most of them were dead because of it! That's lovely! It doesn't matter what cool interesting character development you went through if it was part of a sequence of events that lead to the death of most of the cast.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 15, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Keep in mind, Hussie has always meant for the story to be consumed all together as a whole, not as several thousand bits and pieces over the course of half a decade. It may have taken three years to get to this point, but in terms of actual content its only a fraction of the total story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ has it been that long.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus christ has it been that long.

Today is the 5th anniversary of [S] Enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I've gone through 2 graduations since Homestuck started, and I've been following this crap since the middle of Problem Sleuth