Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LatwPIAT posted:

Firearm damage in GURPS is proportional to the square root of the kinetic energy of the bullet. Different authors use slightly different formulas; here's one by Douglas Cole, which is fairly similar but not identical to the one used by H.C. Vortisch for High Tech.

That may be usable; I think damage and DR remained the same through the 4e change.

Let me see what I can do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still just spitballing for the survival/colony sci-fi game, but if I wanted rugged characters with a good range of skills and points left over to buy powers (mainly genetic homo superior templates around the 40-60 pt range, but also cybernetics and the like), what would be a good amount of character points? 300?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Maybe a little high depending on how capable you want people to be, but powers can ramp up point usage quickly. You could start a little lower (250?) and be generous with points after some play once people get used to their characters and consider what will round then out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just tried a run with a character assistant, and even getting 10-15 skills without buffing them, as well as some stat increases and a 49pt genesplice template, took me well above 200. 250 is probably fitting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, let's see if I can get this math done for a 9mm traumatic pistol (firing rubber bullets) and a theoretical energy output of 70 joules, supposedly the highest end for the replica pistols.

Xsect equals π×(Bore^2)/4 = π×(.009m)^2/4 = 0.00006359 square meters

Damage (points) = sqrt(KE^1.04/Xsect^0.314)/13.3926 = sqrt(70^1.04/0.00006359^0.314)/13.3926

sqrt(82.966/0.0481)/13.3926 = sqrt(1724.864)/13.3926 = 41.531/13.3926 = 3.10 average points of damage

Assuming I did this and converted to dice right ("Convert this value to dice by dividing by 3.5 and converting the remainder to "adds" by taking the decimal remainder, multiplying by 3.5, and dropping all fractions"), that gives this 1d crushing damage. Maybe 1d-1 because it comes out to something like 0.88?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 3, 2014

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Sound like the setting is different but Psionic Powers (I think) has a section on point levels given the assumption of how much of a character sheet will consist of 'powers'. Wish I had it handy.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Tias posted:

Still just spitballing for the survival/colony sci-fi game, but if I wanted rugged characters with a good range of skills and points left over to buy powers (mainly genetic homo superior templates around the 40-60 pt range, but also cybernetics and the like), what would be a good amount of character points? 300?

Cybernetics and genemods can crank up point costs pretty quick, so 300 isn't an unreasonable number if you want people to be more capable than most.

When character creation is done, everyone should have 15+ in two or three skills (at least) that are their niche. Less than that and you can't really shine when it's your spotlight time. That can serve as a good rough guide to if everyone has enough points.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ultratech lists cybernetics as both dollar cost and "Accessory [pointcost]", but I can't find an accessory advantage in the list. Does this just mean that this cybernetic can be taken at character creation, with [point cost] being the cost in Character Points?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Accessory is a Perk. It costs 1 point and provides some small advantage not covered by other Advantages, like "I have a vacuum cleaner in my arm" for a robot. For example, Two Bionic Eyes have "Accessory (Video Display)" which means the bionic eyes have a video display, which just costs you 1 point towards the total cost of the implant because it's not all that powerful. The full point-cost of the implant is in italics at the end of the Statistics list.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

Tias posted:

Ultratech lists cybernetics as both dollar cost and "Accessory [pointcost]", but I can't find an accessory advantage in the list. Does this just mean that this cybernetic can be taken at character creation, with [point cost] being the cost in Character Points?

All things are up to your GM, but typically, you pay CP, but not money, at character creation for cybernetics. (See Basic Set p. 294)

Tias
May 25, 2008

First batch of characters made today for the Rimworld/Survival style sci-fi game. We're playing in the initial third of the Orion's Arm setting timeline. Our intrepid heroes have been sent by a small corp to colonize some part of the unexplored cosmos, but (unbeknownst to them), they're going to break up and crash on an already settled and hostile world.

First character is a slightly irresponsible, but rather action-heroesque provolved grey african parrot, who plays the role of scout and ranger. So far so good. The next character is a somewhat effete and decadent scientist with knowledge in a variety of TL10 fields.. who, wait for it, has built a housekeeping/carpentry robot with issues. Our majordomo 'vec has poor empathy, and is jealous of humans for being emotionally superiour to him.

All 3 have taken Philosophy to better ponder the existence of low-sapient life forms in the galaxy. Since the robot has taken Reprogrammable, they voiced their fears that Dr. Dandy would decide he had enough of Carpenterbots whiny poo poo and reprogram him into a toaster, forcing Carpenterbot to murder him with a powered hand plane.

They get Rimworld! I'm so proud of them!

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 9, 2014

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

chitoryu12 posted:

You think GURPS is a good system for something based on the STALKER computer games? I feel like the setting is ripe for expansion and has too much potential to be constrained to video games, and a tabletop RPG fits its style perfectly.

I'm already making a huge list of potential weapons that can be quickly statted up and thrown into the game for virtually any faction or character. Obviously Eastern European stuff is king, even the weirder stuff like traumatic pistols.

I actually did exactly this, the players loved it but it was super stressful on the GM side. Combat has a lot of detail if you want it to but it usually ends up pretty short and players rarely get out of it without a couple scars, which is cool. I had a player get his feet bitten off by snorks and he replaced it with a peg.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Hey folks! Bumping this thread to ask for some advice. I'm going to be running GURPS Dungeon Fantasy this Thursday for some friends. Are there any player aids, like a list of combat moves they can do or quick rule summaries or anything like that that I could print out for people? Also any tips for running the game? This'll be the first time playing GURPS for any of us.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

GURPS Combat Cards (free on Warehouse23) would be a good idea, I bet.

The GM screen has some good info, I don't know why it's a $5 GM's screen instead of a free supp or a copyable section of the main book. Just be aware some players may laugh and quit when seeing the cover.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

A dude with an enchanted blunderbus getting ready to shoot at a swarm of pterodactyl-nazis? What's not to love?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Twobirds posted:

The GM screen has some good info, I don't know why it's a $5 GM's screen instead of a free supp or a copyable section of the main book. Just be aware some players may laugh and quit when seeing the cover.
That was supposed to be the cover to the two main core books, until RPGnet laughed so loud that Steve Jackson came to his senses and solicited alternate suggestions (one of which they chose and adopted as the 4E trade dress).

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but is there some sort of cheat sheet for GURPS rules, or at least for combat? I'm running my first GURPS game soon, a light-hearted WW2 romp that will probably only really use a couple of extra combat rules, but it'd be cool with some reference tools as I'm completely green.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Dunno if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I made something along those lines for my personal use way back when. There's a crib sheet with a bunch of combat notes, and a sheet with all the different (standard) combat manoeuvres. Both linked from here: http://www.steampunkrobot.com/

Tias
May 25, 2008

That is more or less exactly what I'm looking for <3 Thanks!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tias posted:

That is more or less exactly what I'm looking for <3 Thanks!

You'll have to tell us how it goes. I've been wanting to do a GURPS WW2 or WW1 game for a long damned time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sure! Our poor heroes are Romanian soldiers on the defense in 1943 :) It's going to be really lovely, but hopefully also a lot of fun!

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Are you doing it straight out of 3rd Edition, or converting to 4th?

I've been using these for a local game, and it definitely comes in handy.

Tias
May 25, 2008

We'd like to do it in 4th I guess.

E: poo poo, that's a good point. How do I upgrade the weapons from the 3rd ed books to 4th ed?

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 11, 2015

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

I'd think the 4th book High Tech has basically enough weaponry and equipment that you wouldn't need to do any conversion. It certainly covers WW2 era gear.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

headlor posted:

I'd think the 4th book High Tech has basically enough weaponry and equipment that you wouldn't need to do any conversion. It certainly covers WW2 era gear.

This guy is correct. Unless you get into wacky poo poo like Grease Guns or FG42s. then 4e High Tech will have everything you need.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Beardless posted:

This guy is correct. Unless you get into wacky poo poo like Grease Guns or FG42s. then 4e High Tech will have everything you need.

FG42, High Tech page 115, top left of page.
Grease Gun, High Tech, page 125, middle left of page.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone did a huge weapons table on every World War II weapon they could think of. I'm trying to find where it was.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

LatwPIAT posted:

FG42, High Tech page 115, top left of page.
Grease Gun, High Tech, page 125, middle left of page.

Clearly I haven't read through High Tech in a while.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone did a huge weapons table on every World War II weapon they could think of. I'm trying to find where it was.

Could this be it?

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GURPS_Weapons

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think that was it. I saw it reprinted on another website, and only the WW2 stuff.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
The big problem I see with running GURPS WWII from third edition in Fourth is vehicles. Fourth edition doesn't have much in the way of stats for vehicles. Unless someone has a link of GURPS vehicles, anyone running a WWII game with vehicles has to convert vehicles from 3rd edition.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How hard would it be to just knock the 3e vehicles system into 4e GURPS? From my limited read of 3e vehicles rules it seems like the only way the PCs' stats interact with the vehicles are through their driving/piloting and repair skills.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How hard would it be to just knock the 3e vehicles system into 4e GURPS? From my limited read of 3e vehicles rules it seems like the only way the PCs' stats interact with the vehicles are through their driving/piloting and repair skills.

The famously complicated 3e vehicle rules? I wouldn't bother personally.

Oh yeah, also the High Tech books has WW2 vehicles in it. Not an exhaustive list, but certainly enough to act as a guide.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

headlor posted:

Oh yeah, also the High Tech books has WW2 vehicles in it. Not an exhaustive list, but certainly enough to act as a guide.

since this is GURPS, couldn't you basically just grab the real-world stats and fairly easily translate them to in-game stuff?Like for a tiger, take front/side/rear armour values, look up a convenient chart GURPS is sure to have on the DR of steel plate, get a rough idea of what the gun does from what other tank guns/AT guns/whatever do, and voila, you've got a tank that has enough stats to serve as a badguy?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

headlor posted:

Why would anyone bother using the 3e vehicles rules for converting the stats from GURPS WWII to 4e? Take the vehicle stats listed in GURPS WWII and convert those stats to comparable stats in 4e.

However, if you aren't interested in doing the work High Tech does have some vehicles, like Headlor said, Medium tank, Medium propeller fighter, medium truck and a jeep.

If you want something like a half track, then you'd probably want to convert it from 3rd to 4th edition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have the time/schedule to play games regularly, so what I've been doing all January is just running oneshots of various systems. I wanted to give GURPS a try next, so I have a couple of questions:

1. is it even a good idea to try and run this as a oneshot? I can do something like a 4-hour session, but I don't really know how long character creation would really take, whether with newbies or experienced hands.

2. I want to let the players create their characters instead of using premades as much as possible because that's one of GURPS strengths. Any particular guidelines to it? I'm especially thinking about putting a limit on how many points they can spend on the basic attributes so that they always have enough left over for skills. I was thinking a 150-point game.

3. any settings or adventures particularly well suited to just working off of the GURPS Lite rules? I don't want to assume that the players will have any of the books since my games are just recruiting random people off the internet.

I was thinking of a D-Day/Omaha Beach thing with getting off the beach, then getting up the cliffs, then clearing out the bunkers. Simple, straightforward mission that's going to be very familiar with a lot of people and also I'm getting just a little tired of doing D&D Fantasy, but I'm willing to change the setting to something else. I think asking the players "where do you want to go today?" might be a little too open-ended.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't have the time/schedule to play games regularly, so what I've been doing all January is just running oneshots of various systems. I wanted to give GURPS a try next, so I have a couple of questions:

1. is it even a good idea to try and run this as a oneshot? I can do something like a 4-hour session, but I don't really know how long character creation would really take, whether with newbies or experienced hands.

2. I want to let the players create their characters instead of using premades as much as possible because that's one of GURPS strengths. Any particular guidelines to it? I'm especially thinking about putting a limit on how many points they can spend on the basic attributes so that they always have enough left over for skills. I was thinking a 150-point game.

3. any settings or adventures particularly well suited to just working off of the GURPS Lite rules? I don't want to assume that the players will have any of the books since my games are just recruiting random people off the internet.

I was thinking of a D-Day/Omaha Beach thing with getting off the beach, then getting up the cliffs, then clearing out the bunkers. Simple, straightforward mission that's going to be very familiar with a lot of people and also I'm getting just a little tired of doing D&D Fantasy, but I'm willing to change the setting to something else. I think asking the players "where do you want to go today?" might be a little too open-ended.

WW2 is probably one of the area best suited for a One-shot, as it has a good range of templates. GURPS WW2 was published back in third edition, but someone on the GURPS forumes updated them to 4th Edition. PM me.

Edit: If at all possible, even if you use templates, try to do character creation before hand. It is definitely time-consuming. My advice would be to tell your players to go with the Rifleman template, and give them 10 or 20 points to add stuff. I think that Omaha Beach would suit a one-shot well, because you can really showcase just how lethal GURPS combat can get. When one of the PC's characters eats a burst from a MG42, just have him take control of another doughboy.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 31, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

If you have templates, character creation is fairly easy because it provides quick guidelines on what makes sense. I'd still set aside an hour or two to get everyone created if they're new to the system; I can make a character from scratch in an hour. Tactical Shooting is a great book for this, since it provides several generic templates for various gunfighter types.

quote:

WW2 always works, since everyone generally knows how it goes and there's tons of already existing weapons if you look through Pulp Guns and High-Tech.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

If you have templates, character creation is fairly easy because it provides quick guidelines on what makes sense. I'd still set aside an hour or two to get everyone created if they're new to the system; I can make a character from scratch in an hour. Tactical Shooting is a great book for this, since it provides several generic templates for various gunfighter types.

WW2 always works, since everyone generally knows how it goes and there's tons of already existing weapons if you look through Pulp Guns and High-Tech.

I'd avoid Tactical shooting stuff. For people who are new to GURPS you'd want to streamline it as much as possible. Like I said, the Templates from GURPS WW2 have been updated to 4e. The conversions are openly available, so I don't think it'd be :filez: to post them. You'll want to look at the Rifleman template.

Edit: The Rifleman template in 4e is 75 points. For your purposes, I'd probably have the players use the template, and then give them an additional 25 points to bump them up.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

A one shot works great if you have premades. Make a few more than you have players, and it's goddamned fantastic. My only experience running GURPS was a one shot, and it worked extremely well, to the point where one of the member of my group is considering running GURPS once we have time to get together again.

quote:

Yeah, by all means, it's fully playable with just Lite. 150 point characters is actually what I ran. If you add some weapons options from High Power(Garands, Enfields, BARs, whatever else) it'll fit even better. The weapons rules, at their heart, are simple enough to work fine for beginning players. GURPSLite will work perfectly for that.

[/quote]3. any settings or adventures particularly well suited to just working off of the GURPS Lite rules? I don't want to assume that the players will have any of the books since my games are just recruiting random people off the internet.

Virtually anything you want can be run, within reason, with just Lite for your players. Anything else is pretty much a bonus, or optional. They're normally very well written though, and very good resources. As GM, the core book is highly advisable though, as is High Tech(with is basically TFR: the table top book).

quote:

The WW2 idea is very, very solid. It's simple, gives plenty of room for various skills, lots of challenges, and spaces where any of the weapons or history nerds in your group can thrive. If someone wants to try some social stuff, there's also chances at interrogations, requisitioning more supplies, or just direct some shell-shocked privates to get out of their goddamned hole and attack. It's highly advisable to have a specific planned idea though. Some people can wing it with GURPS, but it's not easy unless you're damned solid on the system first.

• Locked thread